2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Charles Cohen, 20/20 Vision, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,951 guests, and 250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally posted by The Entertainer:
Originally posted by CozyWriter:
[b]
Originally posted by al_spinner:
[b] Is it me, or is there an exploding number of "child prodigies" these days? A quick search on YouTube will yield you a dozen 6 to 9-year-olds who can play Grade 8+ pieces perfectly...what's an adult beginner like me to do?!! I'd better not run into one of those in real life any time soon or I just might quit playing piano altogether! mad (sorry to vent everyone!)
But the playing is usually so dry and robotic! What I call "notes on the page" playing.

My theory is that if you look closely, they're all automatae, built by Sony. [/b]
I agree. The playing is nothing to desire, but the technical ability (I suppose) is. Any of these kids that will turn into concert pianists will be just as dry as when they started... It takes understanding of life to be able to play these "grade 8+" pieces (and many others) properly. These kids simply don't have it. So to me it just doesn't sound right. By the time they understand what the pieces are really about, my guess is that their brain has allready soked in everything they learned when little, making it very difficult to play this stuff any better or "properly"... Remember technicallity can always be worked at, so there's no need to feel down about lack of it especialy as a begginer!!! because when you finally get it, you'll be the one making the music actually sound like music...

Regards, The Entertainer [/b]
You summed it up pretty good, TE.

If anyone wants to hear prodigies, go to a recital at the New England Conservatory Preparatory Department. These children, ages 5 to 17, play not just technically very well, but musically as well. I was really impressed with the kids that played at the last recital I went to. The older students of course played with more emotion than the younger ones, but still they all played extremely well.

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by KateW1955:
Here's a baby playing Bartok.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZPxzJyIi-U
I don't know. I think it's probably John Cage or Stockhausen.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
this one is my all time favorite. I love to see his face when he goes into his zone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKQmoZURbLY

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear, Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair.>>> Herman Munster
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yes, and Steinway hasn't snapped him up yet, I see. That was on a Yamaha! smile

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
It's not enough that we have to put up with those dang little ankle biters playing NOW we have CATS!!!

Thanks, Mr Citron im only 15 my self but during maturity you do start to understand things alot better, and this helps my music alot IMO however when i'm older it will get alot better musically i'm sure not just because of practise.

The Entertainer

"I Think Therefore I Am." - Rene Descartes
As for prodigy infatuation. Anyone can learn to
read a book. Not everyone can write a book.
We remember the composers, not the posers.

Talking about music is like dancing about art. If the truth will set you free, what do prunes do?
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Thanks, Mr Citron im only 15 my self but during maturity you do start to understand things alot better, and this helps my music alot IMO however when i'm older it will get alot better musically i'm sure not just because of practise.

The Entertainer
You're welcome, The Entertainer. You've summed it up very nicely. This is how I see things.

As musicians, we have two lives. We have our human life that trudges along year by year, and we have a musician's lifetime.

Well a musicisn's lifetime runs on a different scale. When we first start lessons, we move along at a break-neck speed until the music becomes a battle. There are those that quit, and others that will continue on uphill.

We eventually reach our middle period where we're like many teenagers. We make musical assumptions about styles, and periods, and think that we can conquer everything in the musical world. This period can last upwards of 10-15 years, perhaps more - sometimes until the human life is in the 30th year.

If we've been lucky not to have stopped studying and playing, we will begin to understand, and I mean just grab a glimpse of, what the composer must be saying about the music. This period can go on for more than a decade or three as we begin to mature.

Well finally, when we've reached our senior human years, we finally get the big musical picture, but by now it's perhaps too late to be able to play at our full potential. You see, we're now too old to do the technical mastery that we could do when we were younger, but need those skills to be able to play the music that we understand so well!

Anyway that's my view of a musician's life. The prodigies are the ones that are lucky enough to have a headstart at some of the technical skills that are needed later on. Hopefully they can receive the training to bring them up to their full potential before they're too old.

John

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
yes, the prodigies have great technical understanding, which comes to them alot more naturally than others,and because they are young their constant practise of these skills enhances at a great rate also. (because they're young the brain takes things in quicker...) I think (from what i've heard) that most of the music they play wether simple or very hard is only based around these skills, nothing musical at all... so I think all in all its not all that fab to be a "prodigie", in most cases I just think prodigie = robot.... Talented youngster (but nothing compared to a "prodigie") with ambitions = musician.

Thanks The Entertainer

"I Think Therefore I Am." - Rene Descartes
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
yes, the prodigies have great technical understanding, which comes to them alot more naturally than others,and because they are young their constant practise of these skills enhances at a great rate also. (because they're young the brain takes things in quicker...) I think (from what i've heard) that most of the music they play wether simple or very hard is only based around these skills, nothing musical at all... so I think all in all its not all that fab to be a "prodigie", in most cases I just think prodigie = robot.... Talented youngster (but nothing compared to a "prodigie") with ambitions = musician.

Thanks The Entertainer
That's a very good perception. wink

John

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Alot of these kids do lose interest when they grow older... but it is scary when you watch what they can do. My piano teacher's daughter who is 9 is already a Grade 8 Piano&Violin student and another student who is only 12 and doing her ARCT Performer's dip

Mastering:Chopin Etudes op.10 nos.8&12 and op.25 no.1, Chopin Scherzo no.4 in E major op.54, Mozart Sonata in B flat major K.333& Khachaturian Toccata
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
and to add in, both of them are not even going to make music careers, they are just finishing it off and they are stopping after that

Mastering:Chopin Etudes op.10 nos.8&12 and op.25 no.1, Chopin Scherzo no.4 in E major op.54, Mozart Sonata in B flat major K.333& Khachaturian Toccata
Originally posted by al_spinner:
Is it me, or is there an exploding number of "child prodigies" these days? A quick search on YouTube will yield you a dozen 6 to 9-year-olds who can play Grade 8+ pieces perfectly...what's an adult beginner like me to do?!! I'd better not run into one of those in real life any time soon or I just might quit playing piano altogether! mad (sorry to vent everyone!)
It does actually make sense to me to look at child prodigies and think of reincarnation.

Because if you can reincarnate, then they would have reincarnated from another life where they played piano as well. And it probably took them two lives just to get where they're at.

They should be nurtured and loved like any other child and seen as a beautiful piece of creation in this world.

So if you are beginning piano as an adult, it's interesting to look at it like this and see that those prodigies may be just extremely hard workers that have continued working through this life as well.

Either way, piano is a wonderful benefit not only to your emotional enjoyment, but also your mental state and it feeds your spirit.

So do not be angry when a child can play level 8+ pieces, enjoy the spirit that they are summoning...

~Cara

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission