2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (accordeur, akse0435, danno858, AlkansBookcase, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 12 invisible), 1,841 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Hi all,
I fell in love with the score of a movie I watched two weeks ago. I found and downloaded sheet music for two of the songs in the movie. Now I can't stop practicing these two songs. I practice about 30min b4 work and sometimes, if time allows, during lunch, and when I get home from work. I practice more than I normally do. Usually I practice for about 1-2 hrs a day 5-6 days/week. Now I'm stay up till 11pm learning these two songs. I simply can't stop.

I do practice my technical exercises, but I'm overdoing it with these 2 songs. I just can't stop.

Will someone help me? frown

Movie: Secret by Jay Chou.

P.S.
This is my first post(yippee!).

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hello and welcome! Oh, to have 88 fingers! smile

I, and I'm sure many here, can empathize with you. Has your increased practice time started to actually impose upon your responsibilities? If so, perhaps you might find an alternate activity to distract you from wandering over to your piano when you feel the urge. Pick up a book, polish your shoes, clean something (I know, not as much fun!), whatever. Even I have had overdone days where my husband has gently asked/reminded me to step awaaayyyyy from the piano! Otherwise, if you feel you have maxed out what you feel should be your practice time for the day, use that same mental determination, which you obviously have, to tend to your other responsibilities (or sleep! laugh ). Realize that the piece will come and analyze whether an extra 30-60 minutes (or more??) will help or hinder your progress. It's hard to not be consumed when so motivated but it seems you feel you are committing too much time to practice. You obviously have the mental wherewithal and determination - just remain aware of that healthy balance smile Best to you!

Tina

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I'm sorry, I don't think we *can* help. When it comes to piano addictions, we're all enablers smile

But welcome to the forum.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I agree with Cathy. Spend any time here listening to the Piano Bars and Recitals and before you know it, you will also have SMAS (Sheet Music Acquisition Syndrome). We will empathise, and some will even offer to help cure you of your affliction by removing the source of your temptation - that is your sheet music collection.
laugh
Rich

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Here, this should help . Sorry, I couldn't resist. smile

I think you can stop (or cut back, at least). You simple choose not to.

Nothing wrong with that, I suppose. I think maintaining balance in life is important -- family, friends, job. Its difficult to juggle, but try to take some time away from the piano and give some serious thought to some of the other important things in your life and give each your attention.

If you really think you have become obsessed over this and truly need help, send me your address and I'll have your piano confiscated. That should do the trick. smile (kidding).

M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
No need to stop...your practicing more and loving it...its all good.

Welcome to the forum! I can totally relate...
If you stop eating, bathing, or sleeping.... seek therapy. smile Otherwise, have fun mastering those songs!

ddh Offline
Welcome to the forum 88Fingers smile

As for your addiction, You're on your own :p

Daniel (Pramberger JP 208B)
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by 88Fingers:
Hi all,

I fell in love ..... I simply can't stop....
.... I'm overdoing it..... I just can't stop.

Terrible isn't it... and you think two weeks is bad... eek

I feel the same way about my wife. Twenty-six years together and I'm still showing no signs of getting tired of her. Whatever can be wrong with us??? wink

Chris

Who needs feet of clay? I can get into enough trouble with feet made of regular foot stuff...
OP Offline
Thanks for the support.

I realize the piece will come but not soon as I would like. I did stop practicing last night at 10:30 which is a step in the right direction. However I was up at 6am doing technical exercises. I have to admit that I did take a day from off work to relax but all I did was play piano.

Well I’ll admit to having a small case of SMAS(Sheet Music Acquisition Syndrome), but it’s nothing that a even larger bookcase won’t cure. laugh

By the way, Akira, that scene in the movie really motivated me to work on my technical exercises even more. Wow! Those two are way above my skill level.

I think I may go home for lunch and practice. wink

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Welcome to the forum, 88fingers! There's nothing better than when a piece gets under your skin and all you want to do is play it. Cherish those moments and give in to them. To resist is futile. :p

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Try to play other pieces as well. A friend of mine recommended to play easy pieces and develop the skills before tackling more difficult pieces. Make some time for these easy pieces; it will keep up your interest in the piano.

- Mark

...The ultimate joy in music is the joy of playing the piano...
"I'll have what she's having." wink

"When life gives you a lemonwood Gaveau [piano], make a place for it (or, what is the same thing, find a wealthy foreign collector/enthusiast to sell it to)." --adapted from and inspired by _The Piano Shop on the Left Bank_ by Thad Carhart
I'm sure there is a 12 step program somewhere to help you...you just won't find it here. thumb

Semper ubi sub ubi
[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Well I've made progress!

Yesterday I limited my morning practice to 30min by doing a few of technical exercises and my evening session was hour of songs from the movie and 'Georgia on My Mind'. Afterwards, I watched a movie with my stepdaughter.

But I must say that I am truly inspired to play at the level that was displayed in the movie. I may not get to that level of mastery of the piano but if I’m close I’ll be happy. thumb

The force is strong with u master!!!

FBP
Haha, yeah, I don't think you'll find anybody to help you here.

If I don't play a minimum of 2 hours a day, I get ornery. Actually, I'm 5 days out of a cancer surgery, and I think I spent at least 5 hours at the piano yesterday. (it's hard to keep track) When the doctor said "Get plenty of rest" I must have heard "catch up all the piano time you missed while in school!" ;-)

In all seriousness, good for you for getting a piece under your skin as Monica called it. It's really something worth doing!

M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by Sockso:
Haha, yeah, I don't think you'll find anybody to help you here.

If I don't play a minimum of 2 hours a day, I get ornery. Actually, I'm 5 days out of a cancer surgery, and I think I spent at least 5 hours at the piano yesterday. (it's hard to keep track) When the doctor said "Get plenty of rest" I must have heard "catch up all the piano time you missed while in school!" ;-)

I hope your doing and feeling well...

Originally posted by Mark...:
I hope your doing and feeling well...
I hate to take the focus of a topic, but thanks for asking. I'm doing and feeling well except for the timing on bar 13 of Chopin's Nocturne in C# minor. It's awkward for me!

M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by Sockso:
Originally posted by Mark...:
[b]I hope your doing and feeling well...
I hate to take the focus of a topic, but thanks for asking. I'm doing and feeling well except for the timing on bar 13 of Chopin's Nocturne in C# minor. It's awkward for me! [/b]
Good to hear...thats a problem you can deal with... laugh

Hello!

Number 1 enabler speaking!!

I have only ONE question.....what movie, and what two pieces? Perhaps I may share in the extra addiction with you......as if I'm not addicted enough yet!.........

Seriously....What movie?

"The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul."
- Johann Sebastian Bach
oohh...oh! oh! Someone's having an issue with Sheet Music Affliction Syndrome?

Look no further, have no worries......I know JUST the solution!! I'll even pay for shipping!! LOL!!

Just remember....... I offered to help you FIRST!! LOL!

"The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul."
- Johann Sebastian Bach
Silly me......just read the title of the movie from your first post!! LOL! sorry, just couldn't get past YOUR addiction issue!!
Some people just don't know when to stop!

Later,
Have to go practice....

Your friend, fellow SMAS,,,,,,, piano addict!
(They say the first step is admitting we have a problem!) We're ahead of the game!

- Johann Sebastian Bach
awhile packing my van earlier I noticed that music books like chainmail rings breed in daylight!

LOL!! I know what you mean!! They appear out of nowhere.....I wish that were true with money!

I see music books all over the place.....everywhere....even when they're not there!

That IS a problem!!

- Johann Sebastian Bach
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi 88Fingers,

This is a good addiction ... made possible by adult motivation. Bottom line is to enjoy what you are doing at the piano.

Can't write much --- gotta get back to those keys..... laugh

Barb

A Sudnow Method Fanatic
"Color tones, can't live without them"

To hear how I have progressed since 2006, check out: http://b.kane.home.mindspring.com
OP Offline
This piece that is truly under my skin. I play just one song, Secret(Time Travel Theme), exclusively now, no technical exercises. I can't believe that I dream about playing this song in front of an audience. I've shorten my practice time to 30 min the past few days to give my hands a rest.

Have you ever had a song that played in your head and you can’t get rid of it? You either play the song or listen to it over and over and over.

I've found more music to play. My stash is growing and I 'm running out of space. Currently my wife and daughter don’t mind the clutter, well at least not publicly. The dining room table is currently buried under CDs, sheet music. Bookshelf? I don't need no stinkin' bookshelf! I’m listening to music from around the world, in languages I don’t even understand.

Will it ever end? I hope not because I’m having a great time. laugh

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
88Fingers, you shouldn't stop. Keep doing what you're doing. When you get that fire lit under your butt is when piano is most enjoyable!

I have a confession: I too have SMAS. The other day I printed out some lead for "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face", and two days ago I went and picked up Jacques Ibert's "Histoires" and the large from Xerxes at Hutchins and Rea. They're for my students, I swear. Really. And the largo is for my wedding. I'm not secretly reading through them or anything like that.

Edit: On the space issue, what is a musician's home without clutter? If you look at my car you'll see music everywhere. It's in the trunk and spread over the front passenger side, from the seat down to the floor. It's under seats. It's in the back. At home, the top of my piano is covered in books. I try to divide them into four piles (modern/jazz/non-classical, Beethoven and Bach, Mozart, Haydn and Chopin, all other composers) but they always seem to escape and end up on my music stand. I have a bookshelf crammed full of music. And for all the stuff I print out, I have a binder into which I pack it all. At my mother's house, I have two other binders stuffed with sheet music.

There is no end. It's a real fun ride, though.

(I'm now looking to finish out my collection of Scarlatti sonatas... damn you, SMAS!)

Pianist and teacher with a 5'8" Baldwin R and Clavi CLP-230 at home.

New website up: http://www.studioplumpiano.com. Also on Twitter @QQitsMina
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Way to go 88Fingers thumb

Songs playing in my head? - you betcha. I go to sleep and wake up with my songs playing in my head.

Ain't life just GRAND!

Edit - let us be your first audience when you perform "Secret".

A Sudnow Method Fanatic

To hear how I have progressed since 2006, check out: http://b.kane.home.mindspring.com
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Have you ever had a song that played in your head and you can’t get rid of it?
All this week it's been "Do your ears hang low?" very maddening. I was babysitting my 10 month old granddaughter on Monday and took out a book of children's songs. Very fun (not all easy arrangements so I felt justified in reading through them) This one was quick to learn and now it's 'stuck' in my head..grrr..

It's the journey not the destination..
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

"Do your ears hang low?"
Can you tie them in a knot, can you tie them in a bow?

Sight reading while baby sitting - I love it - and I'm sure baby loved it also. 2hearts

A Sudnow Method Fanatic

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Swingin' Barb:

[b] "Do your ears hang low?"
Can you tie them in a knot, can you tie them in a bow?

Sight reading while baby sitting - I love it - and I'm sure baby loved it also. 2hearts [/b]
She did but she was on my lap and of course wanted to grab the book, and touch every key I touched... very cute! She's our first and we are head over heals in love with her 3hearts

It's the journey not the destination..
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission