Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1088862 - 10/11/07 05:04 AM Re: OT - Glad to be alive
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: not in Japan anymore
Oh Greg!!

When I read this thread title, I knew in an instant you had had a cycling accident. I remembered the last time you mentioned cycling to me, it was some days-long event that sounded very intense to me. I was afraid to even open this thread for a second.

I'm so sorry to hear this, but also so relieved to hear that it wasn't any worse. I hope the rest of your recovery goes smoothly. I'm sending my thoughts your way for comfort and healing!!

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1088863 - 10/11/07 11:59 AM Re: OT - Glad to be alive
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canton, MI
Sorry to hear 'bout your accident. My neighbor just returned from a bike trip out that way, through Bryce Pass and such... will ask tonight what trip he was on...you two may have crossed paths... he showed us a towel with the route on it...ring a bell?

Here's to hoping your recovery is fast and complete.

btw if you and SH need any donations to that "get together" ... let us know.
PTG Associate

#1088864 - 10/11/07 10:17 PM Re: OT - Glad to be alive
BB Player Offline

Loc: Not in Texas
Hi M&H,

My trip wasn't an "organized" tour, rather just a group of friends getting together and riding routes of our own choosing. No towel with a route on it here!

Thanks again all for the positive thoughts and good wishes.

#1088865 - 10/11/07 11:19 PM Re: OT - Glad to be alive
LisztAddict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
C7 - I know exactly how it is, and I am glad you are still around here to write a report on your trip. Hope you get well soon.

#1088866 - 10/12/07 07:22 AM Re: OT - Glad to be alive
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canton, MI
C7 Player... please do keep us updated...and the best of luck to you in your recovery...
PTG Associate

#1088867 - 10/14/07 06:12 AM Re: OT - Glad to be alive
Honnli Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
C7 Player, I'm so glad and relieved to hear that you're okay. Hope you recover soon.

#1088868 - 10/21/07 09:31 PM Re: OT - Glad to be alive
Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: S. California
I just read your post. Hoping you get well soon, Greg. Glad to know you'll be able to make a full recovery!

#1088869 - 10/21/07 10:55 PM Re: OT - Glad to be alive
gabytu Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, Or.
What a frightening experience. Thank God you survived. Plastic surgeons can do wonders in repairing damaged faces. And, from what I am reading on the various posts here, neurosurgeons can perform miracles with neck and spine fractures.

I wish you a speedy recovery. Keep us posted on how things progress. Gaby Tu

#1088870 - 10/21/07 11:23 PM Re: OT - Glad to be alive
NancyM333 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Roswell, Georgia
Greg, I must have missed this just after it happened. I am so sorry about all you've been through. Are you feeling any better? Back to work at all? Your injuries sound very serious, and it makes me shudder to think what would happen if you had been going much faster.

Take care of yourself and let us hear how you're healing.

Nancy

Estonia 168, Yamaha UX3

#1088871 - 10/22/07 12:31 AM Re: OT - Glad to be alive
YD Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Gee; I just noticed this thread; Greg: my deepest sympathies to you and your wife (I am sure it was just as hard on her as it was on you); hope you have a speedy recovery!

#1088872 - 10/22/07 12:55 AM Re: OT - Glad to be alive
jazzyprof Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
We're all so glad you're alive! Wishing you a speedy recovery.

#1088873 - 10/22/07 02:55 AM Re: OT - Glad to be alive
silla Offline

Loc: California
Greg,

What a shock to hear about your accident, and what relief that you're well enough to tell us about it. Our prayers are with you, for your continuing and full recovery.

#1088874 - 10/22/07 08:33 AM Re: OT - Glad to be alive
BB Player Offline

Thanks all for the continued good wishes. I don't want to drag everyone through my "private hell" but, since many asked for an update, here it is.

The recovery continues, albeit slowly. I've had some of the stitches removed from my face but many remain. I'm still eating mostly through a straw and I'll be wearing the "neck brace from hell" for quite some time yet. I'm trying to wean myself from pain medication with moderate success.

The good news is that I am able to play piano somewhat. The meds obviously don't help my control a lot and my head is locked in a straight ahead position which means it's difficult to play at the ends of the keyboard not to mention I get tired & sore after a very short period of time. Nevertheless, I can keep the fingers moving a bit and it gives me something to do with my day other than sleep which I'm doing an awful lot of.

I follow up with the neurosurgeon in about a month and he felt on my last visit that the spine was stable and didn't seem unduly concerned about after effects (headaches, arthritis, etc) and was pretty optimistic I'd make a full recovery without surgery. I've had enough scans/MRI's/xrays done that I glow in the dark so he had a pretty good picture of what was happening. Hopefully, he's right and after a few months I'll be more or less ok.

It remains to be seen how well the facial lacerations will heal and whether follow up surgery will be required. The plastic surgeon I consulted said it would take as much as a year to really make a good decision there. I figure considering what they're working with, what can they do? I've never been particularly vain about my appearance so this isn't something that worries me overmuch.

Thanks again all.

#1088875 - 10/22/07 08:49 AM Re: OT - Glad to be alive
Donna R. Offline
500 Post Club Member

Greg, I'm so glad to hear you're mending a little and the news from the neurosurgeon is good. Glad to hear you've made it back to the piano bench, too. Sometimes I play when my arthritis is acting up and my hands just don't want to flex, so I know how frustrating it is to play with limitations. But I always feel it's better than not playing at all!

I do hope your face heals well and no surgery is required. They seem to be so much better at mending things so that you don't end up noticeably scarred these days, so I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. (Will you be able to give this year's trick or treaters a good scare without needing a costume? \:D )

Take care.

#1088876 - 10/22/07 08:51 AM Re: OT - Glad to be alive
loveschopintoomuch Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Dear Greg: My heart was aching as I read your post. My God, what a horrendous thing to go through. But, you are managing to play the piano!! \:\) \:\) I can't believe it. Well, on second thought, it really comes as no surprise. Something at the keyboard is better than nothing. So forget about the high and low parts. The middle section is where most of the music is anyhow.

So happy to hear that no surgery will be necessary on your spine. And for your face, those scars will probably add more character. \:D

Please know that you are in all of our prayers. I hope this will help lift your spirts (although they seem fairly healthy now). Please don't get too discouraged, and, as one who has gone through major sugeries, one does appreciate life so much more than before.

Let your music continue to play on.

Fondly,
Kathleen

#1088877 - 10/22/07 09:07 AM Re: OT - Glad to be alive
BB Player Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Donna R:
(Will you be able to give this year's trick or treaters a good scare without needing a costume? \:D )
[/b]
You'd better believe it.

#1088878 - 10/22/07 09:08 AM Re: OT - Glad to be alive
BB Player Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by loveschopintoomuch:

So happy to hear that no surgery will be necessary on your spine. And for your face, those scars will probably add more character. \:D
[/b]
In days gone by I could have said they were dueling scars \:D As to more character, those who know me would say I've already got more than I need!

#1088879 - 10/22/07 09:13 AM Re: OT - Glad to be alive
BB Player Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by YD:
Gee; I just noticed this thread; Greg: my deepest sympathies to you and your wife (I am sure it was just as hard on her as it was on you); hope you have a speedy recovery! [/b]
Thanks Yuri. Yes, it was very hard on my wife. My friends called her and I had asked them to fully inform them as to what was going on. She immediately got on a plane and flew to Albuquerque where my friends picked her up and brought her to the hospital. Needless to say, she was more than a little afraid of the spinal injury. She sat with me for the 3 hours (I thought it was only 2 but she corrected me) while they sewed up my face which couldn't have been a lot of fun to watch. Since then, she's been taking great care of me.

She's the light of my life and has been every day for 34 years. I don't miss a chance to tell her that.

#1088880 - 10/22/07 12:18 PM Re: OT - Glad to be alive
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
Greg,

I've been reading this topic faithfully hoping to hear an update from you. It is great to hear your strong character handling the days since. Absolutely a test of endurance for physical difficulties and determination.

I have been 'down' a few times due to injuries and have read stacks of books, did my socializing from a chair and waited patiently for healing and improvements that made it easier to cope. Being able to get off pain medications is a big step - smiling and laughter is a big indicator of doing better. Especially if you can laugh and smile and it doesn't hurt to do that. Also, just deep breathing was a task, but very important to do. It adds to the quiet mind - boy, does the brain love and require oxygen. It alone has a restorative blessing to ill and injured bodies.

So much sleeping and down time to fill! It was at these times (about 7 different events) that I developed my "quiet mind" insight and it has changed the way I see the universe and people. It has changed the way I process music making and teaching piano. It has made me a more spiritual person. Awareness has shifted.

Since you have been married for many years (we have too), we've found that the connection between us has just grown in depth. I was there for him in his accidents and emergencies, and he is there for me, too. I think it's wonderful that she's the light of your life! I can see you holding hands together from here - and you can sit beside each other without speaking a word - all the words being deeply understood already.

God bless you and your wife! Big time!

Betty

#1088881 - 10/22/07 01:44 PM Re: OT - Glad to be alive
kokomo61 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Herndon, VA
Hang in there - I'm a cyclist too, and I get almost as much enjoyment out of it as I do my playing (sometimes more, if I'm not playing well).

Recovery takes time - and you'll get better, too. It won't be a straight line process, though. You'll have good and bad days, but just keep working towards your goal.

I know what it's like to be hurt - I came off a motorcycle in 2004, and fractured my L2 vertebra (the ER report said it was an "explosive" fracture). Took me a month in critical care and rehab hospitals, then 6 months of intense therapy to get to walking halfway normally. From there it only got better - I walk, run, swim better than I did before the accident, and I've done 3 century rides this year - with my eye on the Assault on Mt. Mitchell next June - 102 miles, 11,000 feet of climbing.

So, I wish you good docs and therapists, and a speedy recovery, too.
Estonia 190, #6098

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Forster vs August Forster
by eazydyonizy
Today at 03:43 AM
Grigory Sokolov releases album
by wimpiano
Today at 03:11 AM
Lindblad Steinway rebuilt pianos
by brahms
Today at 02:54 AM
Got the VPC1! Hooked up the Ivory! Played Brahms.
by TwoSnowflakes
Today at 02:13 AM
Pianos of Downton Abbey
by Almaviva
Yesterday at 11:58 PM
Who's Online
57 registered (bennevis, arX, beeboss, angga888, Beemer, 13 invisible), 1078 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76620 Members
42 Forums
158436 Topics
2326673 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission