2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Animisha, brennbaer, Cominut, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, EVC2017, 3 invisible), 1,214 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Greetings,

My teacher informed me of a scholarship that is being offered by the school I attend. Here\'s their website.

First off, this isn't only a need-based award. I would have to audition for it. There would be a judge who makes the final decision. [shudder] I can deal with that. My teacher is going to select the piece, per the rules. If I practice enough, there shoudn't be a problem, save a possible stop-start. I am a student right now (college, not music) and could use some help. I feel justified in that respect.

Secondly, and from where I am doubting myself, I am an adult of 25. Whenever my teacher has mentioned it to me, which is every lesson, I tell her that I wouldn't like to deprive a kid, infinitely more deserving, in my mind, of some help. My rationale is that they have more of a chance to use the lessons as a springboard for future study and careers. Music is an avocation of mine, not a potential source of security.

Also, though not unheard of, I've been told, I would, probably, be the only adult auditioning.

What do you think of my reasons for not going ahead with the audition? Is there a hint of sour grapes? I think I would feel ashamed in the manner that one would feel ashamed of receiving public assistance. [1] Although only I can make the decision WRT accepting the challenge, I would like some feedback as to the ethics of the deal. I can put in a few more hours at work to offset the difference. A child is still just a passenger on the roads of life.

Thanks,
Bryan

NB:
[1] I am not one who looks down on those who do. I am proud to support, through my taxes, socialized medicine and other welfare/dole systems. Life is hard for all and all are gifted with different qualities. A great society is one that cares for the lowest among them.

=====================
nil volentibus arduum
=====================
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Go ahead. You may not be taking anything away from anyone else; sometimes there is other money for other students if there are more who qualify.

If guilt haunts you afterwards, you can always make donations back after you finish school, so that others have more opportunities.

Semipro Tech
Just a thought - if they wanted to target certain ages or profiles of students, they would have narrowly specified who is eligible to compete. Don't sell yourself short - you're as deserving as anyone else! I really like BDB's suggestion of making a donation somewhere down the road. Think of it as an interest-free loan wink .

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
A scholarship that requires you to audition is as much a reward for hard work as a recognition of need. I think you have as much right to go for it as anyone else. And like BDB says, you can always show your appreciation for the opportunity that was extended to you by donating to your school later when you have the funds to do so.

Donna

I don't think you can play the "what if someone is more deserving" game with yourself. You can't possibly know what outcome is "best" (if such a thing could even be determined).

What if you get in, beat out some kid you think is "more deserving", and because of this loss the kid realizes that music is not to be his vocation and he/she goes on to realize what their true calling is, and thus having a much more fulfilling and rewarding life ? The possibilities are endless.

If you want to do it, and not because your teacher wants you to do it, then go for it !!!

------
If you knew what you were doing, you'd probably be bored.
- Fresco's Law
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
don't hesitate, and just do the audition for it. if you don't deserve it, who does? in fact, everyone deserves it.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
The whole purpose of auditions is to find the students who have progressed to the point of being ready for the advanced classes being offered. And, in part, to help those students who are not ready to show them where they need more work/study.

So, go already. If you are among those who qualify, congrats. If not, then you will know where you need the work to be ready next time.

Don't worry about who may/may not deserve help. That is the decision of the board doing the auditions, and they will grant the scholarships to those will will best fit the program. I cannot imagine anything worse than putting someone who is not ready into a program that is above their abilities.

Good luck.

"There is nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself." Johann Sebastian Bach/Gyro
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I personally wouldn't feel comfortable doing that for the very two reasons you stated:
1) I'd be the only adult there.
2) The money would probably make a much greater impact in case of a younger student, and quite frankly I'd feel like crap if I beat some kid.

B
B
If you really want it, go for it. The kids can try next year is my motto...

Wade
L
L
The great thing about auditions is that they will tell you if you are not good enough or do not deserve whatever it is you are auditioning for. That is their job - don't do it for them.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
You should go for it!

Good luck!

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Bryan, why not go through the audition process and see if you get the scholarship? At that point, if you're still uncomfortable with the equity issues, you could always turn it down. I often see on people's vitas the phrase "declined" next to some scholarship or fellowship. (Lots of time people apply to multiple sources of funding, and if they get two, they have to pick one.)

This way, if you won the scholarship you'd be able to list it on your resume and show others you had achieved this great honor, but you could (if you still felt so inclined) turn down the money so somebody else could benefit from it.

I personally would have no trouble accepting a merit-based scholarship.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
From theier web site:

[QUOTE]The Fine Arts Association, operating the School of Fine Arts is dedicated to ensuring that the opportunity for arts education is available to all community members who desire it. Through the support of the United Way and other private funding sources, both need-based and achievement scholarships are available for qualifying students.[/QUOTE}

It doesn't say "arts education available to comunity members under the age of twenty," it just says " to all community members who desire it."

So if age is the only thing stopping you, go for it. Also, I agree with Monica, there's a reason need-based and merit-based scholarships exist as separate entities.

It seems to me there are bigger questions. What do you want to do with your pianist pursuits? What would this scholarship allow you to do? Would this scholarship allow you (or make it a lot more feasible) to do something you want to do?

I think you should base your decisions on the answers to these questions.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Thank you all for your feedback. It's all being absorbed.

Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
It seems to me there are bigger questions. What do you want to do with your pianist pursuits? What would this scholarship allow you to do? Would this scholarship allow you (or make it a lot more feasible) to do something you want to do?

I think you should base your decisions on the answers to these questions. [/QB]
Hmm. Those are VERY hard questions for me to answer. I think I can sit on them for a while. At least, while I'm having fun.

I'll post a reply to this after I audition amd let you fine people know how it went.

=====================
nil volentibus arduum
=====================

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission