Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1089879 - 01/16/09 02:17 PM The customary less than one month to recital XIII thread
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Center City, MN
Since nobody has started this thread off yet, I figured I could give it a shot.

I started the piece I should be playing this past Saturday not knowing if I would be able to learn it quick enough. Luckily, I dashed those fears and I am actually making recordings of the piece. Still don't have a good one yet but things are looking good considering how much time I have left.

So, feel free to let us know how you're coming along in regards to the famous ABF recital XIII submission you plan on making.

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1089880 - 01/16/09 02:37 PM Re: The customary less than one month to recital XIII thread
Mike White Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: 90 miles West of New Orleans
Mine will either be; Debussy, Chopin, or Grieg.

Is that the proper use of a semicolon? I forgot.

Yamaha G3 & P-80 Digital

#1089881 - 01/16/09 02:42 PM Re: The customary less than one month to recital XIII thread
BarbVA Offline

I've never done this, can I just jump in being totally new? If so that would be my motivation to work on the Rainbow Song, lol.

#1089882 - 01/16/09 02:51 PM Re: The customary less than one month to recital XIII thread
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BarbVA:
I've never done this, can I just jump in being totally new? If so that would be my motivation to work on the Rainbow Song, lol. [/b]
Sure thing BarbVA! We're always looking for new participants. We don't even care how simple a piano piece is. This will be my third ABF recital now and I can say that they have really helped me get going and finish up working on pieces. I can also tell that I'm getting less nervous when trying to record pieces. The first one was real hard when you knew you had a great recording going and you were trying to do whatever you could not to mess up the ending.

Of course, in my attempt to record my recital piece last night I made it past the one tricky section and still managed to mess up with a wrong note not all that long after that. It's a good thing MIDI doesn't record what I say. :rolleyes:

I hope you'll be able to join us for the fun that is the ABF online recitals.

#1089883 - 01/16/09 03:36 PM Re: The customary less than one month to recital XIII thread
epf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Central Texas
Darn... I just had surgery on my left hand to reattach a torn ligament. I have my backup piece from the last recital and that may have to be my primary piece for this one...

Ed

YouTube Channel

#1089884 - 01/16/09 04:22 PM Re: The customary less than one month to recital XIII thread
Mati Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lodz, Poland
I'm not yet sure what to play... I have two "big" pieces by Debussy and Rachmaninoff, and few smaller lovely ones. I have great trouble deciding which one to post.

M.
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)

#1089885 - 01/16/09 04:38 PM Re: The customary less than one month to recital XIII thread
Triryche Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I don't think I'm gonna make it this time (again).
It took ~ 3 months to get 3 pages in a 5 page piece. \:\(

Hopefully I will be done before May!!

#1089886 - 01/16/09 04:55 PM Re: The customary less than one month to recital XIII thread
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
 Quote:
Originally posted by Mike White:

Is that the proper use of a semicolon? I forgot. [/b]
[puts on copyeditor's hat] Nope. Should be a colon instead.

Actually, "either" is misused, too, as the word strictly speaking refers to only two choices. You probably should have said something like "Mine will be one of three possibilities: Debussy, Chopin, or Grieg."

[takes of copyeditor's hat]

#1089887 - 01/16/09 05:04 PM Re: The customary less than one month to recital XIII thread
BarbVA Offline

I think you took it off too soon, lol.

#1089888 - 01/16/09 05:08 PM Re: The customary less than one month to recital XIII thread
Mike White Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: 90 miles West of New Orleans
I guess I could have used grammarcheck, but I'm too lazy.

Yamaha G3 & P-80 Digital

#1089889 - 01/16/09 05:08 PM Re: The customary less than one month to recital XIII thread
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mati:
I'm not yet sure what to play... I have two "big" pieces by Debussy and Rachmaninoff, and few smaller lovely ones. I have great trouble deciding which one to post.

M. [/b]
If only we were all faced with such a quandary*.

*Might as well spice up an ordinary reply with a nice fancy word. \:\)

#1089890 - 01/16/09 05:10 PM Re: The customary less than one month to recital XIII thread
Monica K. Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by BarbVA:

I think you took it off too soon, lol. [/b]
Oh man! \:o

#1089891 - 01/16/09 05:16 PM Re: The customary less than one month to recital XIII thread
Maestro_007 Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
So, can someone enlighten me as to the process? Do we all submit YouTube links at the same time, then watch them in a particular order? I've imagined a few ways in which this could work, but I'm sure there's a tradition. If you can link me to a post on the topic, that would be good too (I couldn't seem to find the magic keywords to get to it myself).

I'm considering performing a Beethoven Bagatelle, but I have a squeaky bench and a very squeaky D4 that my tuner has tried to fix more than once. Should I borrow my parents' piano for the occasion instead?

Thanks,
MM

#1089892 - 01/16/09 05:23 PM Re: The customary less than one month to recital XIII thread
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Maestro_007:
So, can someone enlighten me as to the process? Do we all submit YouTube links at the same time, then watch them in a particular order? I've imagined a few ways in which this could work, but I'm sure there's a tradition. If you can link me to a post on the topic, that would be good too (I couldn't seem to find the magic keywords to get to it myself).

I'm considering performing a Beethoven Bagatelle, but I have a squeaky bench and a very squeaky D4 that my tuner has tried to fix more than once. Should I borrow my parents' piano for the occasion instead?

Thanks,
MM [/b]
There is a website that becomes available to submit your recital recordings (and any video links) on Feb 1st. The recital goes "live" on Feb 15th. You don't have to worry much about it until the 1st. Just practice more if you need to. \:\)

#1089893 - 01/16/09 06:08 PM Re: The customary less than one month to recital XIII thread
rustyfingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
 Quote:
Originally posted by Monica K.:
 Quote:

[puts on copyeditor's hat] Nope. Should be a colon instead.

Actually, "either" is misused, too, as the word strictly speaking refers to only two choices. You probably should have said something like "Mine will be one of three possibilities: Debussy, Chopin, or Grieg."

[takes of copyeditor's hat] [/b]
Cannot...resist...urge...to...quibble.

Actually, a colon should follow a complete sentence. What we need here is a long dash (em dash in print).
This is a very common misconception.

Of course, in Monica's suggested correction the colon does properly follow a complete sentence.

-rf (who actually corrected a letter from a friend and sent it back once and did NOT win the Miss Congeniality contest that year)

#1089894 - 01/16/09 06:10 PM Re: The customary less than one month to recital XIII thread
rustyfingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Oh, and I'm probably not going to submit anything this time since I have not yet sat down at the piano in 2009.

(Is there a contest for that?)

I blame it on AdagioM and BeeLady for teaching me how to knit...

#1089895 - 01/16/09 06:11 PM Re: The customary less than one month to recital XIII thread
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rustyfingers:
Oh, and I'm probably not going to submit anything this time since I have not yet sat down at the piano in 2009.

(Is there a contest for that?)

I blame it on AdagioM and BeeLady for teaching me how to knit... [/b]
Maybe you should sit down by the piano and knit. Kill two birds with one stone. \:D

#1089896 - 01/16/09 06:13 PM Re: The customary less than one month to recital XIII thread
rustyfingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

#1089897 - 01/16/09 06:31 PM Re: The customary less than one month to recital XIII thread
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
My piece is coming along but certainly not done yet. I'm not too worried about finishing the piece in time (since I'm making it up anyway, I can always cut it short if I have to) but I am worried about how I am going to record it.

I usually record my tunes on my Roland digital but that is at our ranch in the mountains which is unaccessible now due to the amount of snow.

We are in the process of a major home renovation on a home we purchased in Phoenix and the big acoustic is sitting on bare concrete floors. Since there is no window coverings yet, no carpet or any flooring (just ripped it out), the acoustics are horrible. Everything I play is very boomy and echos throughout the empty house. It's too bad too because I have spent a long time working on this new piece which will be a cover of the Beatles "Norwegian wood".

Somehow, someway, I'll figure out a way to make a recording but not exactly sure yet how I will do it.

#1089898 - 01/16/09 07:16 PM Re: The customary less than one month to recital XIII thread
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member

I can gladly report that I now have a recording that I consider passable if I can't get anything else better. It's not perfect but it's much better than I thought I could do with only a week on the piece. It makes me wonder where I would be by now if I learned everything at this pace. \:D

I wish everyone else luck while fighting the red dot.

#1089899 - 01/16/09 07:30 PM Re: The customary less than one month to recital XIII thread
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'm semi-colonishly working on the most difficult piece I've ever attempted other than Liszt's Liebestraum No.3 which I never got up to recording quality. My current project will not be ready for the upcoming recital. I have one small piece in reserve that isn't a current recording. I'll enter it somewhere between the 20th and 40th recital entry to be uploaded. I'm not ashamed of it, but I would slow the tempo before recording it again. I don't wish to take the time to refresh it in memory and re-record it. I hope to have the current piece I'm working on ready for the May recital. We'll see.

#1089900 - 01/16/09 09:10 PM Re: The customary less than one month to recital XIII thread
wj3 Offline

Loc: Salem, Or
OH, OH. I better get busy. I havent worked on my recital piece for awhile.. I am doing "Its a Small World" from the Alfreds supplemental book. Just to drive everyone crazy. he he.

2010 Roland KR-115m
Alfreds AIO Level 2:
Working on (Simply Joplin) Solace, Peacherine Rag, A Breeze from Alabama:, (Burgmuller) Progres, Limpid stream.

#1089901 - 01/16/09 10:26 PM Re: The customary less than one month to recital XIII thread
Ken S. Offline

Loc: North Carolina
My recital offering will be either contemporary or classical: if contemporary, two short works by Ned Rorem, if classical, a Beethoven bagatelle.

My dilemma: should I deploy the Zoom H2 to record my knackered old acoustic piano or learn how to pull a recording off the digital?

(I gave up on an attempt to use a semicolon in the sentence above because I ran out of ideas for long, involved coordinate clauses. See: The Careful Writer, by T. Bernstein, an excellent stylebook that is viewable on Google Books.)

#1089902 - 01/16/09 10:29 PM Re: The customary less than one month to recital XIII thread
bluekeys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Shooting for Maple Leaf Rag -- a simplified version, but still all syncopated and Jopliny. If I don't make it, I'll do Invention #8. No way Invention #1 will be ready in time. Ideally, I'll do MLR this time, then both Inventions in May.

#1089903 - 01/16/09 11:03 PM Re: The customary less than one month to recital XIII thread
bluekeys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Uh oh, I didn't know I was supposed to use semi-colons. Here's an updated post:

I'm considering three pieces: Maple Leaf Rag, which is coming along nicely; Invention #8, which is my fallback; and Invention #1, which will only be ready if the zombie remains of Vladimir Horowitz crash through my door at midnight and take demonic possession of my fingers.

I think that's right, but if not, feel free to quibble. ;\)

#1089904 - 01/16/09 11:53 PM Re: The customary less than one month to recital XIII thread
Serge88 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Recital number 13, it will be Friday the 13th in February. I'm scared.

Serge

“Being able to hear recorded music freed up loads of musicians that couldn't necessarily afford to learn to read or write music. With recording, it was emancipation for the people.”
-Keith Richards

#1089905 - 01/16/09 11:58 PM Re: The customary less than one month to recital XIII thread
Monica K. Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Maestro_007:
[/b]
Hi Maestro! Here's the link to the most recent quarterly recital thread. It will give you a good idea what the recitals are like (= awesome!) and the kind of thing involved in submitting. I'll be starting a thread on the 1st (actually, probably late at night on the 31st) to announce the opening of the recital website for submissions. We use a program that mahlzeit designed that makes things very easy. All you need is an mp3 file of your recording, so you can start working on one now.

Recital 12 thread

Hunky, "Norwegian Wood" is one of the prettiest Beatles songs ever, so you have *got* to work out your recording issues. I think it would actually sound pretty good with an echo-ey theme going on, so you might just give it a try and see how it sounds.

#1089906 - 01/17/09 12:14 AM Re: The customary less than one month to recital XIII thread
Monica K. Offline

I was so busy giving incorrect grammar lessons :rolleyes: that I forgot to talk about my recital entry. My first choice will be to submit a shortened version of Einaudi's "Ancora." (It's about 12 minutes long in the full version, which results in a file that's (a) too big for mahlzeit's program to handle, and (b) longer than anybody here would want to listen to. \:D )

If I don't get a satisfactory arrangement by the 15th, I will submit yet another David Nevue arrangement of a traditional hymn in a new age style, dedicated to JohnFrank. :p

#1089907 - 01/17/09 12:54 AM Re: The customary less than one month to recital XIII thread
rustyfingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bluekeys:
Uh oh, I didn't know I was supposed to use semi-colons. Here's an updated post:

I'm considering three pieces: Maple Leaf Rag, which is coming along nicely; Invention #8, which is my fallback; and Invention #1, which will only be ready if the zombie remains of Vladimir Horowitz crash through my door at midnight and take demonic possession of my fingers.

I think that's right, but if not, feel free to quibble. ;\) [/b]
Very nicely done, bluekeys.

rf (the self-annointed queen of quibble)

#1089908 - 01/17/09 05:07 AM Re: The customary less than one month to recital XIII thread
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
 Quote:

Mike - I don't think any punctuation is necessary at all in your statement - simply remove the semicolon.

A slightly expanded, more explanatory sentence would be a structure like this: "My recital submission will be a piece by either Debussy or Chopin or Grieg.")

Regards, JF, CGA (Consulting Grammataticians of America)

As good at piano as I am at golf - very high handicap!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
100 registered (36251, ando, Akshay, Almaviva, 31 invisible), 1301 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74236 Members
42 Forums
153572 Topics
2250711 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Worth upgrading from Studiologic SL990 for a beginner?
by moonchild77
04/19/14 08:04 AM
Improving upright repetition
by pinkfloydhomer
04/19/14 07:44 AM
On Temperament strip muting, and other things
by Mark Davis
04/19/14 05:08 AM
NAAFI pianos
by PhilipInChina
04/19/14 04:41 AM
Yamaha Upright - Please help identify
by awyaks
04/19/14 01:00 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission