2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (benkeys, Burkhard, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 13 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 24 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 23 24
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by Peyton:
Number 3 just isn't going to happen for me like I would wish. It's amazing how short it is and how I just can't play it all the way through. I can play it through and mess up the last part, then take that part alone and play it fairly well, then play it through and mess up that or something else. On top of that my left hand is only good for around 15 minutes of playing it. After that it's just too tired.

But I'm still having fun! laugh
I'm glad I'm not the only one.... laugh

L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
Count me in on this, also. I can "get" through the whole thing, but about 1/4 of the way from the finish, my arms and shoulders are crying out for help.

HOWEVER, this is a big improvement because it wasn't too long ago when this would happen when I was just about 1/4 of the way from the BEGINNING. smile smile

Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Just checked back in here. Comments:

1. Playadom, if you're reading this, maybe move the microphone/computer AWAY from the piano? Other side of the room, perhaps?

2. I am going to get tough with myself and record this weekend. I've been putting it off, even though I've been working on #1 and #21 for months. #9 I can play through. I've had a lot going on: I'm practicing the cello for a performance of the Saint Saens concerto with a chamber orchestra a month from tomorrow. Then, my cat got sick -- he has kidney failure, and his main vet told me to euthanize (!). I've had a cat die on me before, and the current cat did not seem in such dire straights to me, so I got a second opinion. Now we're treating him, but it's labor intensive (pill and liquid medicines, vitamins, and fluids under the skin). But how could I execute this critter before trying to save him?

Two years ago:

[Linked Image]

Recovering cellist, amateur pianist.
[Linked Image]

Check out my blog !

[Linked Image]
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
So sorry to learn of your cat's health problems, PianoAgain. Like you, there is almost nothing I wouldn't do to keep my dog alive. I hope all the meds and treatments help.

And, wow...so envious that you will be recording. I'm about 2 weeks away, I hope.

Good luck with your cello performance tomorrow. I have a feeling things will go beautifully.

You are truly an amazing lady...so talented (and nice), I should add.

Regards,
Kathleen

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Aww, Kathleen, thanks.

But thank goodness, the Saint Saens is on October 14, not September 14! I have another month yet to worry about it -- um, practice.

Recovering cellist, amateur pianist.
[Linked Image]

Check out my blog !

[Linked Image]
gerg Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Hope your kitty recovers! frown

http://www.ecital.net
Wikicital: A collaborative effort to build a knowledgebase of classical music history combined with examples. Your chance to both perform and write...

Don't click here!
gerg Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by loveschopintoomuch:
Count me in on this, also. I can "get" through the whole thing, but about 1/4 of the way from the finish, my arms and shoulders are crying out for help.

HOWEVER, this is a big improvement because it wasn't too long ago when this would happen when I was just about 1/4 of the way from the BEGINNING. smile smile

Kathleen
Kathleen, I never had any doubt you could do it! laugh laugh laugh That last 1/4 also will become easier for you as the piece becomes more and more "yours".

I am so proud of everyone here! thumb

Wikicital: A collaborative effort to build a knowledgebase of classical music history combined with examples. Your chance to both perform and write...

Don't click here!
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
Thanks, Gerg. You are a sweetheart! 2hearts

I am totally amazed eek how my confidence level has risen since I started on this prelude. I hope the same is happening for many others, especially those who have taken on a piece that was a "tad" over their heads, as I did.

I remember Hershey Felder giving advice to someone who asked him if it would be stupid to try to learn a very difficult composition. Hershey answered that it would be stupid not to try to learn it. I will never forget that comment although, at the time, I have to admit I thought is was a little flippant. But now...aha, how very right he was.

Just a few minutes ago, I read this quote in a magazine.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP!
Winston Churchhill

I think this applies to every single thing we can experience as human beings.

Regards to everyone,
Kathleen

L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
Well, Greg...when you have the time, it is just about 1 month away, so perhaps time to change the topic title.

I know everyone is so grateful for my reminding them. help eek

Kathleen

gerg Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
It's updated!

I'm having fun today. It's probably sacrilege but I came with words to 28/8 - which made my four-year old daughter giggle up a storm!

Don't click here!
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
Would love to hear them, Greg. smile smile

I had one of the most hiliarious days I've had in ages yesterday, but I'm afraid I can't share the source of the humor with anyone. laugh shocked

Kathleen

gerg Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Well, this is a silly little girl - she makes me laugh!

Recently she was talking about a cartoon:

"The little brown mouse tied the rope on Tomandjerry, and Tomandjerry just FLIED up to the air and made fireworks and the Presidents' States flag!" laugh

Don't click here!
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
So cute, Greg. I can barely remember the days when my 37 year-old was 4. But she, also like your daughter, was quite a character...and could she come up with some very interesting statements.

This is really off the topic, but, what the heck...if we can't brag about our kids (no matter what their age,) then it's a very cold world.

My daughter was about 4 at the time. I was driving past a church and happened to see a priest on the corner, waiting for a bus. I pulled over and asked him if he needed a lift. Yes, he did and got in the front seat. We started a conversation and naturally I kept referring to him as "father." After about three minutes, my daughter, who was taking in every word, comes up with this question to him: "Are you my grandpa?" eek

She never knew her grandfathers as both had died long before she was born. But I was totally amazed that she made the connection. thumb

The priest, a bit taken aback, very nicely answered that no, he wasn't her grandpa but that he wished he were. smile

Sorry for the diversion...

Hope everyone is almost "there."

Kathleen

gerg Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Hi All!

Here's how to get your recording into the recital.

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/32/4983.html

Don't click here!
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Can any of you imagine the level of physical exercise when you do No 3 for 15 minutes, No 16 for 15 minutes, No 5 for 15 minutes, and No 14 for 15 minutes? I really like these Chopin Preludes. laugh

gerg Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
It's significant. According to Chang, playing the piano at a reasonably high level consumes about as many calories as a brisk walk.

Don't click here!
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
You are not going to believe this...but I've lost about 15 pounds since last March! I wish I could "blame" it on all my practicing, but I think I am just eating less. I AM SO NERVOUS!! eek

We all should be in the best shape ever by the time this is over. Then on to the Mazurka Marathon...I'll be a size one, like my daughter!

Come to think of it...many of you know that Chopin was very, very thin. He never weighed more than 100 pounds, and he was 5'7". And Liszt was even thinner. I've seen caricatures of him, and he's like a toothpick. frown Now, considering how often they played the piano and for how long (Liszt especially practiced 8-12 hours on many days), Chopin didn't need to practice that much, but he certainly played a lot, we need to start advertising to people that playing the piano can be a great way to control and even lose weight. I wonder if such a campaign would ever take off. laugh

Kathleen

gerg Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Yes, it is a noble form of exercise, and you really do get stronger. I really cannot wait to hear your #17. I hope I'm not alone in being inspired by your testimony. It WILL help prepare you for that 48/1 that you love so much. Every single participant stands to gain something positive - technical, musical, or both - from learning his or her Prelude that will stay with them the rest of their lives.

So how is everyone doing? Getting close? Are the pieces becoming less stressful and more fun to play? Good! thumb That's what this is about - honoring a composer noted for his grace, poetry, and yes, technical difficulty, and through his works boosting our own confidence and inspiring others!

At this point based on all I've read here, I don't believe any piano piece is out of anyone's range if they put the work into it - maybe years in some cases, but never impossible... Like you, I am inspired by this challenge. I really hope we all are able to get a good "take" of our work for the 17th (oh, we will!) The ones received so far have been quite, quite impressive - you're in for a treat!

Don't click here!
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
I'm doing okay on mine (#15), but I had better start trying to record it soon because that is usually a very long process. Trying to avoid major mistakes all the way through is very difficult!

Nancy

Estonia 168
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
Thank you Greg. Gosh, you are building me up so...I do hope I do not disappoint. But knowing you, I don't believe you would be disappointed by anyone's performance because you know how hard we have *all* worked....and with your guidance, encouragement and inspiration. Good Grief. I hope your wife doesn't read this. eek

Nancy, I am in the same boat. Darn, this weekend is company and then a wedding shower. But I am starting in with the red dot on Monday. I may not come up for air for a week or longer. :rolleyes: laugh

Oh Nancy, I don't know if you read this, but I heard the "thunder and lightening" section of the 15th (we, in the study group, used to refer to it as such) in a T.V. commerical for some weird and scary video game that had a robot walking around destroying everything in sight. frown

Regards to all,
Kathleen

Page 15 of 24 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 23 24

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission