Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
#1090054 - 08/22/07 12:29 PM Re: Online Chopin Prelude Recital TODAY! :)
loveschopintoomuch Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Oh thank you, thank you, thank you...Mistaya (Carolina). We are so happy to have you "aboard." We are truely grateful that you are taking part. Please do join us in the DtC thread when you have the time.

But yikes, we can't have a hole in our recital. What shall we do about Op30 and Thalamus. I know that Thalamus once contacted me via PM regarding his particpation, but I can't remember what he said. Spoken like a true 67 year old. (Duh)

I, for one, would hate to postpone our concert until March 1st, as MaryRose suggested. But that might be a possibility. For those who have already learned their piece and are ready (or have) recorded, their task is completed. For those of us who could use some extra time, I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea. If worse comes to worse, what do you all think about postponing? \:\(

Can someone please, that means you Greg, give us a current, to this date, listing of who is playing what??

Then we shall proceed from there. Gosh, playing 5 of the preludes is really a task. Perhaps, some of them are already known by someone on the Pianist Corner and we can beg, plead and promise them all kinds of stuff (like our first born) if they take part. So all we need now is a current list.

In the meantime, I will PM Op30 and Thalamus to see what's going on with them. We could be worrying for nothing (I hope).

I so love all the preludes that anyone who can play any of them gets my deep admiration. Yes, No. 8 is quite special.

Brucee...to answer your question about the 25 and C#minor ...sorry it took so long, I couldn't remember who asked the question.

Both the 25 and especially the B# minor are really not "preludes" as we consider them. They are much longer than the other 24 and are much more difficult. The 25 contains one of the most powerful passages in all of Chopin's work and the ending one of the most extraordinary. The C# minor has nothing to do with the other 24. It was written and published in 1841. Again, a most difficult piece, written in C sharp minor. In one of his most rare references to the quality of his work, Chopin said: "I have no hesitation in sending it," naming his intended price from the publishers, "which may not be reduced by a penny." This is a remarkable piece for it marked how Chopin was moving into into his "last and greatest" phase. This piece is given up to strange wanderings, abstract and visionary.

Good luck to both Sotto Voce and Hershey. I know Hershey has played the C# minor before, so Stephen is in our prayers. ;\)

So then two things to consider:

A current list (with back-ups woudl be great)
A response from all about the possibility of postponing until March 1st.

Many thanks to all,
Kathleen

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1090055 - 08/22/07 12:56 PM Re: Online Chopin Prelude Recital TODAY! :)
LisztAddict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
No postpone.

If op30no3 won't show up, I think I can also do 5, 10, 11, 14, 19. Of those five, only 5 and 19 are a bit tough.

#1090056 - 08/22/07 02:01 PM Re: Online Chopin Prelude Recital TODAY! :)
Mary-Rose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Essex, England
Kathleen - I don't agree that the two "additional" Preludes are either longer, more difficult or un-Prelude-like than those within the set of 24. But I guess we are good enough friends to disagree \:\) I am intrigued that you consider the Op 45 (C sharp minor)has "one of the most powerful passages in all of Chopin's work and the ending one of the most extraordinary". Which particular part did you find particularly powerful, and why is the ending extraordinary? I love this work but I've never thought of it in that way so I'm really interested in what you have to say. I think I must have been missing something

LisztAddict - what a magnificent white charger you are riding today. I hereby declare you Sir Liszt Addict!

#1090057 - 08/22/07 06:48 PM Re: Online Chopin Prelude Recital TODAY! :)
gerg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Houston, TX
The only real concern in the list of holes is #5. Only someone advanced can play it. Oh, and #19 too! Sir Liszt Addict, wilt thou save the day? \:\)

#10 and #11 could conceivably be learned in the timeframe by an intermediate pianist.

Don't click here!

#1090058 - 08/22/07 06:54 PM Re: Online Chopin Prelude Recital TODAY! :)
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
I'm in favor of postponing it until March 1st if that means there can be a greater number of participants.

#1090059 - 08/22/07 06:58 PM Re: Online Chopin Prelude Recital TODAY! :)
gerg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by loveschopintoomuch:
Can someone please, that means you Greg, give us a current, to this date, listing of who is playing what??
[/b]
Yes, ma'am. I'll update the list at the top of this thread, so it's just in one place.

Let's give Ragnhild, Op30No3, and Thalamus a couple more days of grace before replacing their names. Keep us posted on the responses to your private e-mails to them in this regard.

In the meantime, it would probably be a good idea for Mistaya and LisztAddict to practice with the intent to perform. (BTW Welcome Mistaya!)

Greg

Don't click here!

#1090060 - 08/22/07 06:58 PM Re: Online Chopin Prelude Recital TODAY! :)
4000 Post Club Member

MaryRose: I am so glad that I always define myself as "far from an expert" because that post was certainly a case in point. You are most certainly correct in calling me on it.

In my haste to give Brucee a description of each of the preludes, I goofed..and royally. When describing the 26th (I can NEVER keep the numbers straight), I was actually describing the 24th, which I think we would all agree is pretty difficult and fits the description I gave.

I think the C# minor (Op. 45), (which I called the 25th...ugh!) can be considered as described. I have often read that it should stand alone from the set of 24. Although the Raindrop, #15 is longer in length, it does have a cerain quality that sets it apart. Gerald Abraham said that Chopin was moving into his last and greatest phase with this piece. I can hear something of the future in it, a bit of Debussy, perhaps. And, of course, the very short and lively A flat major prelude. What number is it? I don't have a clue...number #25?? I am totally confused about this. I wish I had the ability to name the number of the prelude I am listening to. I can with those I can play or am learning to play, but not with the others. How do people keep them straight? By learning them all? Yikes.

So, MaryRose, thank you for giving me get the opportunity to unmake a fool of myself. \:D I really should have more care when doing my reference work.

Kathleen \:\)

#1090061 - 08/22/07 07:01 PM Re: Online Chopin Prelude Recital TODAY! :)
gerg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Frycek:
I'm in favor of postponing it until March 1st if that means there can be a greater number of participants. [/b]
Frycek, let's give it some time.

The problem with postponing is that some of these pieces carry significant maintenance requirements. Besides, others have been working hard on their piece with Oct. 17 as the date in mind.

Don't click here!

#1090062 - 08/22/07 07:22 PM Re: Online Chopin Prelude Recital TODAY! :)
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gerg:
 Quote:
I'm in favor of postponing it until March 1st if that means there can be a greater number of participants. [/b]
Frycek, let's give it some time.

The problem with postponing is that some of these pieces carry significant maintenance requirements. Besides, others have been working hard on their piece with Oct. 17 as the date in mind. [/b]
Since this is recorded there needn't be maintenance problems. I just feel it would be more representative of who we are if the missing pieces could be farmed out throughout the group rather than dumped onto poor longsuffering Sir Lisztalot.

#1090063 - 08/22/07 07:30 PM Re: Online Chopin Prelude Recital TODAY! :)
4000 Post Club Member

Thank you, Greg. I appreciate your keeping the list up to date.

I will contact Ragnhild, Opus and Thalamus today and hope to get a positive response, which I will share with you all.

Boy, I don't know what to think as far as postponing.

I do agree in thought with Frycek about getting more people to take part. We can't expect LisztAddict to play all those pieces we can't fill. Afterall, this isn't a LisztAddict Concert (as much as I know he could perform one). It really was intended (I think) to have us adult beginners (who are at various stages of ability, true) to take part, and the more...certainly the merrier. Don't you think this would make for a more impressive and rewarding concert?

And yet, there are those (like me, whose arm is often in a sling to give it a rest and I know many others) who have devoted so much time, energy and devotion to getting their prelude completed by the date we had set way back in April. It doesn't seem fair to those folks to ask them to hold on and to maintain. Of course, when they are ready, they could always record it. But you know how that goes...one is never satisfied with the recording and people will be playing and recording a hundred times over until next March. Yikes, just that thought scares me silly.

Let's see what and if we hear from the three others. Then maybe we could post our need on the Pianist Corner. Maybe they will take pity on us. I will look at #10 and #11. If I have to, I will play one. But I hope no one will be listening.

One more possibility...not a great one, I admit, but something to consider.

I know we wanted to make this concert complete, that is to have all 24 preludes performed. That was our dream and a super one. But what if we just can't. What if we put on a concert dedicated to Chopin's memory and play only those preludes we can do? Would that be too terrible? I don't know. What do you think?

Kathleen

#1090064 - 08/22/07 07:38 PM Re: Online Chopin Prelude Recital TODAY! :)
gerg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

My thinking was LisztAddict was only performing one (#24) and would WANT more participation.

I do agree that playing six, though, is too far a swing in the other direction.

Let us know what you hear back.

"Let's see what and if we hear from the three others. Then maybe we could post our need on the Pianist Corner. Maybe they will take pity on us. I will look at #10 and #11. If I have to, I will play one. But I hope no one will be listening. [Eek!]"

That's the spirit!!!! You've got "only" #17 right now, correct?

Don't click here!

#1090065 - 08/22/07 08:31 PM Re: Online Chopin Prelude Recital TODAY! :)
4000 Post Club Member

"You've only got #17...right?" Boy, I love you, Greg. "Only," he says, as I sit here with my arm cradled in a heating pad.

Officially, yes, I "only" have #17. 10 or 11 only if there is absolutely no one else around to play them.

Kathleen

#1090066 - 08/22/07 08:37 PM Re: Online Chopin Prelude Recital TODAY! :)
Theowne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Canada
I'm not sure what is going on in this thread, but if it means anything, I know a few preludes myself, including op.28 no.6 and would be glad to help if needed....

#1090067 - 08/22/07 08:52 PM Re: Online Chopin Prelude Recital TODAY! :)
playadom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
Am I allowed to post a recording of a different prelude that I've just started(once I finish, which will be before the date)? It's 22, BTW.

Also, I'd be open to backing up some of preludes like #10, 11, or 19.

#1090068 - 08/22/07 08:52 PM Re: Online Chopin Prelude Recital TODAY! :)
gerg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yes!!! It means a lot! We are looking to spread out #s 5,10,11,19 and one other - rather than dumping them all on LisztAddict. Can you help? Please??? \:\)

#6 we believe is covered...

Don't click here!

#1090069 - 08/22/07 08:54 PM Re: Online Chopin Prelude Recital TODAY! :)
gerg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Playadom, I would say ABSOLUTELY! Please post your #22! \:D

So Kathleen, THeowne, Playadom, who would like which of #5,10,11,19? Remember, two months to go!

Greg

Don't click here!

#1090070 - 08/22/07 08:56 PM Re: Online Chopin Prelude Recital TODAY! :)
Pianolicious Offline

Loc: USA
Darn. And I wasted the whole summer on an Etude.

I think I can pull out a Prelude though. Sign me up!

Now Voyager, sail thou forth to seek and find. --Walt Whitman

#1090071 - 08/22/07 08:56 PM Re: Online Chopin Prelude Recital TODAY! :)
4000 Post Club Member

Hi Theowne:

We are planning on putting on a concert of all 24 of Chopin preludes on October 17, as a commemoration of his death. We need volunteers for 5, 10, 11 and 14, I think, right now. 10 and 11 are about middle-middle level whereas the other two are difficult.

However, if you have the music, give them a listen, You have two months to learn and record. We would love to have a "new face" amongst us "old faces (I speak for myself only, of course). Please let us know. It will be tough going, but if you love Chopin (and who doesn't?), it IS possible.

Regards,
Kathleen

#1090072 - 08/22/07 09:03 PM Re: Online Chopin Prelude Recital TODAY! :)
4000 Post Club Member

Good Gravy and Awesome! Do those two go together?

Which prelude did you have in mind, Pianolicious?
5, 10, 11, 19? If you can play an etude, you surely can play either 5 or 19, right?

Look forward to your reply...

Boy, we are hopping!!

Kathleen

#1090073 - 08/22/07 09:09 PM Re: Online Chopin Prelude Recital TODAY! :)
gerg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Kathleen, we have a few new faces.

Pianolicious & Theowne. Additionally, we have a familiar face in Playadom, who has also volunteered to help.

Who wants what?

I'll start by taking a bold stab in the dark here, in the hopes of generating controversy and discussion, so we can get these hammered out.

Remember, we are waiting for a day or so for Ragnhild and Op30No3 (the original to respond...

5 - pianolicious
10 - playadom
11 - Theowne
14 - pianolicious
19 - Theowne

This is RANDOM - and subject to change if Op30No3 and Ragnhild show up and still want to participate! Would you folks discuss based on preferences?

Don't click here!

#1090074 - 08/22/07 09:10 PM Re: Online Chopin Prelude Recital TODAY! :)
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:

Greg [/b]
Does this let me off the hook?

#1090075 - 08/22/07 09:11 PM Re: Online Chopin Prelude Recital TODAY! :)
4000 Post Club Member

Hi Again THEowne: I watched your tape with you playing Debussy. I think 10 or 11 will be great for you. They are much faster than what you played but have that broken chord quality. Let me know which one you like, and I will take the other.

Regards,
Kathlenn

#1090076 - 08/22/07 09:19 PM Re: Online Chopin Prelude Recital TODAY! :)
jazzyprof Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
 Quote:
Originally posted by playadom:
Am I allowed to post a recording of a different prelude that I've just started(once I finish, which will be before the date)? It's 22, BTW.
[/b]
I think Frycek is doing #22.

#1090077 - 08/22/07 09:30 PM Re: Online Chopin Prelude Recital TODAY! :)
gerg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
 Quote:

Greg [/b]
Does this let me off the hook? [/b]
Uh, no \:\)

I think Playadom just wants to post it here for us to listen to, without relation to the recital.

Don't click here!

#1090078 - 08/22/07 09:38 PM Re: Online Chopin Prelude Recital TODAY! :)
Theowne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I have some experience with Prelude No.11, so I would be happy to pick it up. As for 19 (per gerg's list), well I'd take it if no on else wants it, but there is of course the risk that I won't be able to get it perfect in two months time, just to keep that in mind.

If I can ask a dumb question, do preludes 25 & 26 on the list refer to the op.45 and post hum. preludes?

#1090079 - 08/22/07 09:47 PM Re: Online Chopin Prelude Recital TODAY! :)
Mary-Rose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Essex, England
 Quote:
Originally posted by Theowne:
If I can ask a dumb question, do preludes 25 & 26 on the list refer to the op.45 and post hum. preludes? [/b]
Yes, Theowne, it does refer to those two - the Op 45 being 25.

Pianolicious - welcome to this thread! How nice to see you over here.

#1090080 - 08/22/07 09:48 PM Re: Online Chopin Prelude Recital TODAY! :)
gerg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The answer to your question is yes.

5 - pianolicious
10 - playadom
11 - Theowne
14 - pianolicious
19 - LisztAddict or playadom

playadom, I suspect you will have your hands very full with #12 - a NASTY excercise in quick finger transfers on the same keys. (I played with it a bit, just to see what you are up against. I don't envy you!)

Don't click here!

#1090081 - 08/22/07 10:12 PM Re: Online Chopin Prelude Recital TODAY! :)
4000 Post Club Member

Wow...that was fast!

Thank you all. If my eyes are not deceiving me, I think we have a 'GO'!

THEOwne: Please do not worry about being perfect. We are, afterall, non-professionals (although some of us could go on the stage and really make some money!!).

We are Adult Beginners, whatever that might mean. And we should just think about doing the best we can. So please, keep that in mind.

And welcome to all "new" faces.

Kathleen

#1090082 - 08/22/07 10:13 PM Re: Online Chopin Prelude Recital TODAY! :)
4000 Post Club Member

#1090083 - 08/22/07 10:24 PM Re: Online Chopin Prelude Recital TODAY! :)
Theowne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the welcome

I suppose that reinforces what I said earlier, I would be glad to do No.19 as well (No.11 is rather short, anyhow), but if someone else thinks that they could do better, has more time (meaning less additional pieces they're working on), or has experience with it, etc, then I wouldn't argue with that.

Page 2 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 ... 15 16 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
73 registered (Akshay, beeboss, adanepst, ando, angelsong, 22 invisible), 1267 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153516 Topics
2249685 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Re-stringing an 84yr old Grand.....?
by Grandpianoman
Today at 01:56 AM
Theme identification
by Polyphonist
Today at 01:26 AM
Morning Mist: a ballade for piano
by JoelW
Today at 12:27 AM
Insanity
by Polyphonist
Yesterday at 11:55 PM
Yamaha P140 sluggish keys : how to fix?
by Bambell
Yesterday at 11:52 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission