Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1090623 - 08/11/04 10:17 AM Re: What's the very first piece you learned?
kluurs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
my first piece was "march of the wee folk" if memory serves.

Ken

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1090624 - 08/11/04 10:42 AM Re: What's the very first piece you learned?
mound Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
 Quote:
you are overlooking all the joys of the first pieces that many learned as children including
Isn't this forum for Adult Beginners? it would imply then that we didn't learn tunes as children :-)

actually I think, as an adult, the first thing I learned, from page 2 or whatever of a method book, was, umm, a stripped down Danny Boy theme!

I progressed quickly, I was learning Chopin's Prelude in Eminor after 2 months of lessons I think.

-Paul

#1090625 - 08/11/04 10:53 AM Re: What's the very first piece you learned?
nycebo Offline

Loc: New York, NY
Mound,

SPot on about the children comment. I studied for a year when I was about 11 or 12 because my parents forced me too (though obviously not hard or long enough). As such, a full 20 years later, I am at it again, having just taken my second lesson in 1.5 weeks. This stuff ain't easy, that's for sure, but it sure is fun. It's the tempo that gets me bogged down more than the notes.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I can still remember "Big Chief Indian" after all these years. What's worrisome is the notion that it has been playing around in my head for all these years.

Working on Mozart's Minuet in B flat now. Apparently, he wrote it when he was 6. At that age, I think I was just discovering that you shouldn't eat rocks or dirt.

#1090626 - 08/11/04 12:03 PM Re: What's the very first piece you learned?
teachum Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: idaho
 Quote:
Originally posted by chickgrand:
 Quote:
Originally posted by jdsher:
The first real, non-arranged piece would be the first part of fur elise. I spent maybe a month on it before I moved on. Unfortunately, it is so over played it has become annoying.
Jon [/b]
And everybody is playing the beginning usually! And it's the middle that's interesting. That piece is definitive Beethoven in Reader's Digest "condensed" form, but only if you realize all the depth is the middle where all that defiance surfaces amid all the mannerliness of the beginning and end. There's some real passion in that middle and it's not even very hard. Great little piece to learn a range of expression. [/b]

Estonia #6141 in Satin Mahogany

#1090627 - 08/11/04 12:04 PM Re: What's the very first piece you learned?
teachum Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: idaho
 Quote:
Originally posted by teachum:
 Quote:
 Quote:
The first real, non-arranged piece would be the first part of fur elise. I spent maybe a month on it before I moved on. Unfortunately, it is so over played it has become annoying.
Jon [/b]
And everybody is playing the beginning usually! And it's the middle that's interesting. That piece is definitive Beethoven in Reader's Digest "condensed" form, but only if you realize all the depth is the middle where all that defiance surfaces amid all the mannerliness of the beginning and end. There's some real passion in that middle and it's not even very hard. Great little piece to learn a range of expression. [/b]
[/b]
You are right, Chick - it's the beginning and middle that make it a piece worth learning, in my opinion. And it isn't very hard.

Estonia #6141 in Satin Mahogany

#1090628 - 08/11/04 02:32 PM Re: What's the very first piece you learned?
WynnBear Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
I'm probably dating myself, but as a kid I remember "Spinning Song" from one of the Michael Aaron method books. Anyone remember that one?

#1090629 - 08/11/04 03:14 PM Re: What's the very first piece you learned?
Mom of 3 Offline

Loc: Mercer Island
WynnBear - I played that one just last year. Spinning Song, Albert Ellmenreich OP 14 No 3.

#1090630 - 08/11/04 03:57 PM Re: What's the very first piece you learned?
Liesle Offline

Loc: Southern Illinois
I remember talking with my teacher when I was a child. I remember how I told her I hated Beethoven and I didn't want to learn anything he had written. My father had recordings of the symphonies which he played nightly, alternating with recordings of other of Beethoven's works. I learned the Bach's prelude in C and fell in love with its quiet cadence and reflection of life living. On and on, over and over; I've rocked myself out of sorrow, lived my life in minutes and resolved all my problems.

#1090631 - 08/18/04 01:25 PM Re: What's the very first piece you learned?
mound Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
I learned Fur Elise on classical guitar. I too am kinda sick of hearing it though..

#1090632 - 08/19/04 09:08 AM Re: What's the very first piece you learned?
jdsher Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Plano, Texas
WynnBear: That's too strange, my teacher just handed me two new pieces last Saturday, Spinning Song and the theme from Mystic River.
Jon

#1090633 - 08/19/04 08:45 PM Re: What's the very first piece you learned?
JoeB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern California

#1090634 - 08/24/04 06:55 AM Re: What's the very first piece you learned?
Pianogirl88 Offline

Loc: Canada
Fur Elise - It was the first thing I played on the piano...........I mean ever. I couldn't read a note of music but I had to play it. Thats how I started.

#1090635 - 08/29/04 06:52 PM Re: What's the very first piece you learned?
Frank58 Offline

Loc: Canada
Humoresque in G Major

It is from level one of the Royal Conservatory system.

#1090636 - 08/29/04 09:15 PM Re: What's the very first piece you learned?
ballad3 Offline

Loc: mississauga.ON
 Quote:

I am the original idiot. I decided to teach myself piano as a freshman in college with access to a herd of new Steinway grands. So I went out and bought Ernesto Lecuona's Andalusian Suite and started with "Malaguena". It didn't dissuade me in the least to have other students comment, "Have you met the idiot who's starting with Lecuona's 'Malaguena'?" But lack of access to a piano DID dissuade me the next year. When I bought myself a new piano several years later (my first ever installment purchase), I picked up right where I left off, with the Lecuona. While I could read it and finger it all, some of it rather well, there were portions of it where an upright just didn't cut it--those two pages of fast quintuplets on pages 2 and 3--the upright couldn't return the hammers fast enough. Nor generate the complexity of building tone I was after. So I worked on other things in the little time I had available for practice for about a year. Until the working world and a 100-hour per week job killed all practice time.

[/b]
for someone who started piano during their freshman year in college, you sure understand quite alot about what to look for in music...

#1090637 - 08/29/04 09:16 PM Re: What's the very first piece you learned?
ballad3 Offline

Loc: mississauga.ON
o and my first piece-.-'' , either fur elise or mozart's alla turka (of course i didn't do a very good job on the latter one.)

#1090638 - 09/01/04 08:43 PM Re: What's the very first piece you learned?
Luckychwee Offline

Loc: Singapore
Wow after seeing all the above posts, it's so encouraging and I cant wait to start ...

By the way, when you talked about your first piece like fur elise, how long does it takes you to play starting from zero (meaning dun know the fingerings, see notes etc etc ..) is it 1 yr ? 2 yr or more ?
And a prayer a day never keep our Jesus away
And let's praise our Lord, our King, our God all the way ....

#1090639 - 09/10/04 01:15 PM Re: What's the very first piece you learned?
mikewu99 Offline

Loc: Audubon, PA
As a beginner in fifth grade: "The Woodchuck" from Schaum's A book

Restart #1 (in college after a 5 year break from lessons): Bach 2-Part Invention #1 (in C major)

Restart #2 (almost two years ago after a 23 year break from lessons): Mendelssohn's second "Venetian Gondola Song" (Opus 19, No. 6)

Interesting note of Fur Elise: my teacher says that a common question parents have when starting children with her is "how long until they can play Fur Elise?" (or as she puts it "how much will it cost until they can play Fur Elise?").

#1090640 - 09/10/04 01:23 PM Re: What's the very first piece you learned?
sleepingcats Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
I don't really count my John Thompson book pieces as "real" pieces (from 25 years ago), so I'll just go by what I played in my first recital, which was "Baby Elephant Walk". I really didn't like playing that, but I had to. My second recital piece was "Fur Elise" which I can still play but need to polish with more legato.

#1090641 - 09/10/04 03:11 PM Re: What's the very first piece you learned?
WynnBear Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
 Quote:
WynnBear: That's too strange, my teacher just handed me two new pieces last Saturday, Spinning Song and the theme from Mystic River.
Jon [/b]
I'm sure I did some of those very simplified beginner pieces too, but to me Spinning Song was the first piece I did that sounded like real music.

Enjoy it!

#1090642 - 09/12/04 09:21 PM Re: What's the very first piece you learned?
valarking Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas
My first real classical piece was Sonatina in G by Beethoven. I don't consider pop pieces or arrangements to be real pieces.

#1090643 - 09/13/04 09:29 AM Re: What's the very first piece you learned?
MitchE Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by valarking:
My first real classical piece was Sonatina in G by Beethoven. I don't consider pop pieces or arrangements to be real pieces. [/b]
Same here. ;\)

#1090644 - 09/13/04 09:40 AM Re: What's the very first piece you learned?
Horace Offline
500 Post Club Member

Maple Leaf Rag was my first piece, unless one would consider March in D or Minuet in G from Anna Magdalena to be real pieces.

#1090645 - 09/13/04 10:12 AM Re: What's the very first piece you learned?
MitchE Offline

Maple Leaf Rag? What speed did you play it at?

And yes, I do consider those other pieces to be "real".

#1090646 - 09/13/04 10:43 AM Re: What's the very first piece you learned?
Horace Offline
500 Post Club Member

The recording I have from right after I had the whole piece memorized and in my fingers drifts between 90 and 100 quarter notes per second, for a total of 3:04 to play the whole piece, all repeats included.

But it wasn't my first piece, if one considers those others.

#1090647 - 09/13/04 11:10 AM Re: What's the very first piece you learned?
MitchE Offline

Is the basic meter of the right hand in 8th notes or 16th notes? I don't have a copy handy.

#1090648 - 09/13/04 11:25 AM Re: What's the very first piece you learned?
Horace Offline
500 Post Club Member

I think the basic meter is in eighth notes. The left hand part is generally 4 1/8th notes per measure.

#1090649 - 09/13/04 06:24 PM Re: What's the very first piece you learned?
Luckychwee Offline

I am learning myself from my daughter's lesson books and playing first piece "Clementine". Does this count ?

#1090650 - 09/13/04 10:35 PM Re: What's the very first piece you learned?
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, WA, USA
Nope. Signa, the original poster in the thread, defined original piece as "any piece written or transcribed for piano solo originally, not a simplified version of such a piece/song, whether it is classical or not."

Don't feel bad. I've been at it for nearly a year and haven't finished my first "piece" yet either. Although I'm working on Fur Elise and should have the first part of it done by the end of the month. I have the fingering and timing down, I just need to get it up to tempo. The other two thirds may take a little longer. \:\)

#1090651 - 09/14/04 12:02 AM Re: What's the very first piece you learned?
David Kirkham Offline

Loc: Provo, Utah
The first real piece I ever learned was Fur Elise--the entire song when I was 15. (I did have a few other putt putt songs I learned, but I can't remember them.) I only took lessons from my mom for a year or so. I taught myself to play Fur Elise.

After that I learned the 1st Movement of Moonlight Sonata when I was 20. It took me about 6 months to really play it sort of well. It took me a year to play it with any sort of feeling. That was over 15 years ago. I just started up again 1 month ago and I practice 1 hour or so a day--at night.

I am learning Wedding Day at Troldhougen now. I am almost through the entire song now and can play it fairly well with some serious rough spots. (The 16th notes on the left hand.) But, anyone who knows the piece can recognize what I am playing.

I am playing on a serious junker Kimball that is 100 years old and was free. I have played alot of the Chinese grands and I can't stand the action or the bass response, (non-existant). I will probably buy a Kawai or a Yamaha (baby grand) soon as I can't stand it any longer.

I will someday learn Fantasy Impromptu and finally the 3rd movement of Moonlight Sonata. After that, who knows? Any suggestions?

I think in the next world I will personally find Beethoven and thank him for writing Fur Elise. He introduced me, and many of us, to the beautiful world of piano music. Now, my kids play it ALL THE TIME. I don't believe I will ever tire of that piece of music.

David \:\) \:\) \:\)
I bought my piano from www.pianocraft.net

#1090652 - 09/14/04 12:27 AM Re: What's the very first piece you learned?
Luckychwee Offline

Oh thanks so I still have not reach the stage of playing "my first piece" as yet. Well, no despair \:\)

My daughter piano teacher is very kind and she gave me a theory grade one book as a gift and she bought for me the Alfred piano lesson grade one as well. I am learning hard on my fingerings especially the 4th & pinkie.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
142 registered (ando, accordeur, ajames, 42 invisible), 1862 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75560 Members
42 Forums
156229 Topics
2294471 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is a Yamaha P35 appropriate for church services?
by Giancarlo Robles
07/28/14 03:59 PM
Need suggestions for Music Room
by Gatsbee13
07/28/14 03:39 PM
Questioning the Wisdom of Heavy Actions
by Dwscamel
07/28/14 12:52 PM
What do you think made you passionate about music/piano?
by Spuds
07/28/14 11:45 AM
Tune lab question
by RonTuner
07/28/14 11:32 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission