Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1091202 - 12/09/06 09:11 PM Notefinder is really helping me.
Kent B Offline

Loc: Sunny Tampa, Florida
I've been using the notefinder drill on eMusicTheory.Com as part of my regular practice lately.
http://www.emusictheory.com/drillPianoKeyFinder.html

And, I must report that it really is helping me find notes on the keyboard more quickly. I've been using it at least once a week for the past month, and keeping a log of my scores. Check out the progress I've recorded in my log:

Week 1
Duration: 1000 Seconds
70% Correct
Avg. Time 10 seconds

Week 2
Duration: 1067 Seconds
Avg. Time 6.06 Seconds
92% Correct

Week 3
Duration: 1003 Seconds
Avg. Time: 5.48 Seconds
91% Correct

Week 4
Duration: 1011 Seconds
Avg. Time: 4.93
94% Correct

Now, I know these scores must seem pretty pathetic to more experienced musicians out there. (Keep in mind I've only been playing around 6 months.) But, my point is, look at the progress. This notefinder drill really works! Each time I use it I'm faster than I was last time. 15 minutes per week does wonders!

Anyway, I know this link has been posted up here before, but I thought you might be interested to see empirical evidence showing this drill works.

Also, I hereby challenge all adult beginners to do 1000 seconds on it and smash my 4.93 second per note record. I'd be interested to see how fast a more experienced pianist can do it.

Happy note finding!

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1091203 - 12/09/06 11:18 PM Re: Notefinder is really helping me.
Shortcircuit85 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New Hampshire
Humm... interesting. That looks like a great resource for those learning to read music. I'm sure you will be a pro in no time. Looks like you are making great progress too!

Now, I'm pretty comfortable reading music as I've been doing it since I was 9 or 10. Because of that I was able to average only 1.3s per note. Any faster and I start missing notes like crazy. I did have to stop and scratch my head for a couple seconds on several of those. They really throw everything in the book at you like low E#, fb then f. If you are getting comfortable with that broad of a range of notes at the beginning, you are way ahead of where I started.

Now, There's a point where it's more about computer skills than music skills as you can't move your mouse fastly and precisely enough to get better without missing the notes your aiming for. That makes it kind of fun. It's addicting. Challenge anyone?

If you were not sane, you would never misunderstand this question or the consequences of not comprehending its meaning.

#1091204 - 12/10/06 12:25 AM Re: Notefinder is really helping me.
NancyM333 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Roswell, Georgia
Okay, I'm an easy mark for a challenge. I did it three times, with the last two having about the same score. 100% accuracy, 1.46 seconds. It was not nearly as easy as I thought it would be. I wonder if I did this regularly if my sightreading would get better.

You're right, Andrew. It is addicting. I kept thinking--certainly I can beat 1.3, but I just couldn't make my brain and mouse work in tandem.

Nancy

Estonia 168, Yamaha UX3

#1091205 - 12/10/06 08:40 AM Re: Notefinder is really helping me.
Astra Offline

Loc: Slovenia
I bet it works, but your result isnt a real proof if we want to be strict, because you practised sight reading also with your normal practise. So, for a real proof you should be doing only this without any other practise \:\)
But thanks for the link. Im still not very good at very low or very high notes.

#1091206 - 12/10/06 10:20 AM Re: Notefinder is really helping me.
Dorrie Offline

It is great to do at work when you are on a boring conference call (with the mute button down)

#1091207 - 12/10/06 11:56 AM Re: Notefinder is really helping me.
Kent B Offline

Below two seconds! Very nice Andrew and Nancy. I'll keep practicing and hope to be as fast as you one day.

It is a fun little drill. I agree they throw some crazy notes at you in random order. It's really helped me figure out all those notes above and below the staff lines. I hope other students find it as helpful as I do.

#1091208 - 12/10/06 08:30 PM Re: Notefinder is really helping me.
Mountain Ash Offline

Loc: Canberra, Australia
Thankyou kent this has really helped me a lot. I am instantly recognising notes that I wasn't before. \:\)

My best score so far:

Completed: 287
Errors: 7
Score: 97%
Time: 1002 sec
Average time: 3.49 sec

#1091209 - 12/10/06 08:36 PM Re: Notefinder is really helping me.
bukopaudan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
That's really cool!
I'll try it again one day.

#1091210 - 12/10/06 09:20 PM Re: Notefinder is really helping me.
musdan Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks Kent - I'm having trouble with notes above and below the staff.

I'll give it try and hope it helps me improve. \:\)

#1091211 - 12/10/06 11:27 PM Re: Notefinder is really helping me.
Mountain Ash Offline

Loc: Canberra, Australia
The rythm performance one is helping me too.

#1091212 - 12/13/06 05:17 PM Re: Notefinder is really helping me.
Damz Offline

Loc: Montreal, Canada
This "game" is kind of fun and a good way to learn the notes, but once you know them, what will make you a much better sight reader is reading actual music. Being able to recognize individual notes as fast as possible will only get you so far. There's no rythm, tempo, chords, melody, patterns in this drill, so being good at this won't make you a good sight reader.
For example I averaged 1.23 sec per note on 214 notes with 99% accuracy, yet I'm a rather bad sight reader. \:\(

#1091213 - 12/13/06 09:30 PM Re: Notefinder is really helping me.
Kent B Offline

Damz, Wow! Great score. Sub 2 second. That's something for me to aspire to.

I agree that this drill will not help beyond a certain point with sight reading. This is just to help us with notefinding.

It seems to me, though, that part of sight reading is notefinding. I was finding my 10 second lag time in finding notes was really hurting my sight reading. Once the intervals between the notes got too big for me to figure out at a glance I was stuck saying "every good boy does fine." But now, when I can't immediately tell where the note is by the interval, at least I can find the note in around 4 seconds instead of 10.

As soon as I get my notefinding time down around 2 seconds I'll probably stop the notefinding exercise and concentrate solely on practicing sight reading. But until then, this helps speed up my reading.

I agree that by no means should this exercise be used instead of practicing sight reading.

#1091214 - 12/15/06 05:12 PM Re: Notefinder is really helping me.
Shortcircuit85 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New Hampshire
It may not help past a point, but I'm certain MANY beginners are still only comfortable with the middle two octaves--even after several years of lessons. This drill would quickly make anyone quickly recognize what particular notes they thought they knew, and are struggling with.

If you were not sane, you would never misunderstand this question or the consequences of not comprehending its meaning.

#1091215 - 12/19/06 06:39 PM Re: Notefinder is really helping me.
briiian13 Offline

Loc: Orange County
i agree with the above poster that actual reading the music is the next practice to do as reading individual notes can only get you so far.

i have no problems reading single notes , but it is the chords and left hand and right hand combined notes i have to read simultaneously at a quick rate to play a song decently is what i need practice in.

but the tool is fun nonetheless.

#1091216 - 12/20/06 04:40 AM Re: Notefinder is really helping me.
text Offline

Loc: Windsor, United Kingdom
As someone starting again, I think this is an excellent tool for learning to recognise the notes.

I think this forum is excellent, so glad I came across it.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Steinway piano with two offset keyboards
by guyl
32 minutes 45 seconds ago
Black and white dampers
by iLaw
Today at 09:55 AM
AUGUST FORSTER
by Karl Watson
Today at 09:05 AM
Piano lessons: every week or every two weeks?
by Pover
Today at 06:34 AM
Anything better than the Yamaha CLP-990 yet?
by pianelmo
Today at 04:49 AM
Who's Online
151 registered (Alexander Borro, Anne'sson, angga888, ajames, accordeur, 44 invisible), 1509 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76633 Members
42 Forums
158468 Topics
2327141 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission