Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#109143 - 09/15/08 11:25 AM Just bought a Yamaha P22
rakushka Offline

Hello everyone.

I wanted to get some advice - I personally know nothing about pianos, and took lessons for two years when I was a child... But we just bought one for my 5 year-old, and I don't know if I made a good choice or not.
Yesterday we went to a local piano store to see what's out there, basically. We weren't planning on buying anything yet. And.. what do you know? Ended up buying a Yamaha P22 (it has been rented out for a music festival), but is otherwise new. We paid $4885 (that's everything together, including delivery, tuning in 2 months, taxes, etc.). I have this feeling that we didn't a very good deal. Granted, I wasn't expecting to find a bargain in that place, but still? Do you think it's a reasonable price? As I mentioned, this piano is for my 5-year-old who's taking lessons. I understand that there are cheaper options out there. How easy will this piano be to resell? I am not averse to keeping it for a while, as I have a younger child who may start taking lessons as well, and maybe even myself....
Thanks for all your help.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#109144 - 09/15/08 11:57 AM Re: Just bought a Yamaha P22
lovesmesomejazz Offline

Loc: Oregon
I think you made a great choice. I went to a church yesterday morning and they were using a P22 and had a bass player and violin and choir. The P22 sounded great. I kept thinking about it and I went to another place yesterday evening where I know they have an older P22 so that I could play it for fun. The sticker in the lid indicated that it hadn't been tuned in about 4 years but it felt great and sounded wonderful.
The college I take a jazz combo class at has many Yamaha's, 3 grands, a P22, a black Baldwin and some Samicks. The grands are the best, then I like the P22, the Baldwin is decent, I don't care for the Samicks.
I bought a new U1 a month ago and love it. I did try many pianos of different makes including a P22 and it was on my list. If your 5 year old sticks with it they could be playing that P22 in their own home someday and I bet it will still be sounding good.
Good choice.

#109145 - 09/15/08 12:01 PM Re: Just bought a Yamaha P22
Metaphysics Offline

Loc: Cohasset, MA
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but IMHO you overpaid quite a bit. I've recently been looking for a piano for my 7yr old and found quite a few P22s in the $1500-$2500 range w/o delivery or tuning. The highest I saw was $3500, but that doesn't mean it will sell for that.

On the upside, it should be a pretty easy piano to resell (i.e., you won't have to give it away or have to pay get it taken away), but not near the price paid.

Meta

PS, I'm a newbie, too, so I could be taken to task for my assessment by those around here more. Just relaying what I saw over the past month.

#109146 - 09/15/08 12:07 PM Re: Just bought a Yamaha P22
rakushka Offline

Wow, that's quite a price difference! \:\)
Ouch. We still have the option to back out of the purchase, which is what we're considering.
How old were the pianos you were looking at? This one is basically brand new.

#109147 - 09/15/08 12:16 PM Re: Just bought a Yamaha P22
Metaphysics Offline

Loc: Cohasset, MA
Not sure how old they were as the P22 was lower on my list than the U1 or U3. Some were pretty beat up and others looked to be in very good condition. The P22 is known as a pretty solid piano for schools and churches. If it REALLY is near new, your price might be not far off.

For $3800+$500 shipping, I ended up with a UX3 which is an upgraded U3. You can readily get similar pricing on a U1 or U3 which, from my reading, is a substantially better piano than the P22. However, these are 15-25yr old pianos, but the technology hasn't changed.
meta

#109148 - 09/15/08 02:22 PM Re: Just bought a Yamaha P22
Jeff Bauer Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Rakushka, there is a lot that can be said and explained regarding the info Metaphysics gave you, but let me boil it down to a couple of simple points that you can use to research your decision:

1) Pianos lose value with age - you can read Are Yamahas too bright? for a little more detail as to why.

2) Imported "gray" market Yamaha pianos sell for much less than those Yamaha originally built for the US market. For reasons as to why, you can search under the term gray market or grey market and have more reading than you'll be able to handle on this.

Considering the price of a new one, and the fact that you purchased your piano as if it were new, with new terms, you did well.

Yamaha | Schimmel | Bösendorfer | Knabe | Seiler | Restored Steinway

BauerHouse Productions

#109149 - 09/15/08 02:37 PM Re: Just bought a Yamaha P22
rakushka Offline

Jeff,

Thanks for your response. I will read the threads that you suggested. I am considering keeping mine for a long time, actually - unless the kid becomes really really good and decides to get something better, but then hey! that would be a good reason to lose money on it \:\) .
On a different note, what do you think of Suzuki pianos? We saw them being sold at Costco. In car terms, if Yamaha is equivalent to Honda, is the Suzuki equivalent to a Nissan or are we talking Hyundai? :-) Is it even worth considering?

#109150 - 09/15/08 02:38 PM Re: Just bought a Yamaha P22
al_spinner Offline

Loc: San Francisco
I bought an used 1992 Yamaha P22 a couple of years ago for $2000 from a private seller. Sure it was a lot cheaper, but it was also almost 15 years old.

If the piano you got was really brand new (I'm not sure what "rented out to music festival" means to the condition), you did OK on the price.

I would check the serial number against the serial number dater on the Yamaha website to confirm the year made to verify that it was made recently.

P22s generally have a good resale value, not unlike a lot of Yamahas. Brand recognition is very good.

#109151 - 09/15/08 02:51 PM Re: Just bought a Yamaha P22
Jeff Bauer Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
 Quote:
Originally posted by rakushka:
On a different note, what do you think of Suzuki pianos? We saw them being sold at Costco. In car terms, if Yamaha is equivalent to Honda, is the Suzuki equivalent to a Nissan or are we talking Hyundai? :-) Is it even worth considering? [/b]
I don't represent Suzuki - as a piano dealer, it's really not very ethical for me to offer opinions on alternate products, since my opinions can be agenda driven.

Be that as it may, I think Suzuki products speak for themselves when you sit and perform a piece on them.

Yamaha | Schimmel | Bösendorfer | Knabe | Seiler | Restored Steinway

BauerHouse Productions

#109152 - 09/16/08 12:25 AM Re: Just bought a Yamaha P22
rakushka Offline

al_spinner - thanks for the comment.
I tried looking for the piano's serial number - you mean, right here?
http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/Cont...GENERAL,00.html
I can't find our serial number.....
Looks like they don't have anything that was manufactured after 2004.
We saw the piano and the condition is excellent. It was rented for the Tanglewood festival (it takes place in MA every summer). I don't think they beat it up too bad \:\) . The festival lasts only a week or two.

#109153 - 09/16/08 09:15 AM Re: Just bought a Yamaha P22
Glenn Grafton Offline

Loc: Souderton PA
 Quote:
including delivery, tuning in 2 months
With the purchase of a Yamaha you should get TWO free tunings in your home. Both have to be done within the first year. At the time of the second tuning there's also a list of service items that the piano tech is to do.

Yamaha calls it the Service Bond.

Thought I'd mention that as your post indicates you were getting one tuning.

Not all dealers follow through with what's on the service bond. Ask your dealer to see a copy of it.
877-GRAFTON (877-472-3866)
Remove "nospam" in email address.
glenn@nospamgraftonpiano.com

Grafton Piano Home Page

#109154 - 09/16/08 02:33 PM Re: Just bought a Yamaha P22
al_spinner Offline

Loc: San Francisco
rakushka - not finding the serial number is probably a good thing as the piano is newer than 2004 then! I think you did fine...enjoy your piano!

Oh and please post up some pics of it if you do end up getting it...we'd love to see it!

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
96 registered (adanepst, angga888, AZNpiano, Atrys, ando, Adypiano, 19 invisible), 1308 Guests and 45 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153516 Topics
2249663 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Re-stringing an 84yr old Grand.....?
by Grandpianoman
Today at 01:56 AM
Theme identification
by Polyphonist
Today at 01:26 AM
Morning Mist: a ballade for piano
by JoelW
Today at 12:27 AM
Insanity
by Polyphonist
Yesterday at 11:55 PM
Yamaha P140 sluggish keys : how to fix?
by Bambell
Yesterday at 11:52 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission