2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 10 invisible), 1,448 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
CrisC55 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi all,

I just wanted to introduce myself to the forum, and I'll be posting here often with many questions. I'm a 24 year old pianist; I started at around age 12, and I immediately learned quickly, I taught myself moonlight sonata by ear, and eventually was accepted to a local piano school near my home. I played there for about two years. Unfortunately, the school relocated, and I was no longer able to attend. For the rest of that time until now, I have basically played on my own, being self taught. I have composed many compositions, but my sight reading has diminished greatly, and although my technical ability is good, I'd like to vastly improve it. For a long time I was not able to play piano because my parents wanted me to pursue biology and the sciences. But now that I have established control, I decided to get back into it seriously last year at 23. I've improved greatly, and my ear still surprises me at how good it is. Although I don't have perfect pitch, I do have very good relative pitch and I can remember a great deal in little time. I learned the sight reading aspect. I can't read a piece and play it automatically, but I can learn a piece now on my own.

I've been teaching myself Chopin's Opus 66 for the past week. I've learned almost half the piece, and I can play it at speed. I don't know if that is the common rate of learning a piece of that difficulty, but I seem to be learning quickly.

Now to my question. I'm planning on applying to julliard, the mannes, and the manhattan school of music to get a degree in music composition. I love performing, but I love to compose even more. If there is anyone who has experience with that school, or with the application process, I'd greatly appreciate some feedback. I will make sure to check the archives to see what is required, but I know I have this year until next march to get a significant repertoire to be considered for admission. Is this a realistic goal?

Thanks all for any feedback you can provide, and I look forward to making friends here. Take care

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Hello CrisC55 and welcome to the forum! You might want to post your question over on the Pianist Corner. There are a number of people there that have attended various music schools as well as academics and concert performers. They'll surely have a good idea of what's required and there may be alumni from the schools you're interested in who can help.

Welcome again!

Greg
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Hi CrisC55,

Just wanted to say "welcome to the forums!" too and second Greg's suggestion that you might find a bit more help with music school applications.

smile Good luck, and welcome!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Welcome Cris,

Thracozaag (Koji) is a graduate of Juilliard.

Thracozaag

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, only what you are expecting to give, which is everything. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn
CrisC55 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you guys for the advice. I sincerely appreciate it. I'm just curious in general as if it seems I am making some sort of progress from what I have stated. I'll be sure to get in contact with Thracozaag. Thanks for that info mel.

Take care guys!

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,195
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission