Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1091658 - 12/18/08 11:09 PM ready to pull my hair out!!!!
1silkyferret Offline

Loc: Elsewhere-now Texas
Well I am totally discusted. I spent days on this one piece for my teacher hoping to impress him and played it with the exact rhythms that Maddy Prior sings it.
I played it once and he said that was good and then had me replay it in bits and pieces. The rhythms noted on the sheet music and the way Maddy sings it are 2 different beings and of course I did not recognize that.
He was trying to get me to play the written rhythm and after 30 minuits of trying gave up./ I just could not play the given rhythm he was wanting me to. I could do a bar or 2 as he wanted them but not the piece. The time sig changes every other bar.

Am I the only one who has had this problem I was at the point of just saying forget this whole darn thing....UGHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By the way the song is Gaudette. Its a medievel xmas carol and processional. Steeeye Span does it.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1091659 - 12/18/08 11:54 PM Re: ready to pull my hair out!!!!
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Center City, MN
The obvious solution is to simply shave your head.

I don't have much to say about your whole time sig and tempo issues but I will add that while I was trying to learn the right hand notes for a piece last night I hit upon a three note pattern that led me astray while I figured out the melody of a completely different song based on those notes. My sheet music practice sort of turned into play by ear practice which I suppose isn't all that bad.

#1091660 - 12/19/08 12:29 AM Re: ready to pull my hair out!!!!
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
Hi Silky,

As usual, I trust that the experts' advises will come along, but in the mean time, this is just one beginner's advise.

I suggest that you have your instructor break each phrases down and demonstrate while recording each subsequent ones as to how he feel that they should sound or be played, so that you can have something to go back and listen to as a source of reference point while practicing.

Try to listen to his recorded versions and work on just one phrase at a time.

You can do it. Good luck to you!

Key Notes \:\)

#1091661 - 12/19/08 01:20 AM Re: ready to pull my hair out!!!!
dannylux Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut
 Quote:
Originally posted by 1silkyferret:
Well I am totally discusted. I spent days on this one piece...[/b]
Days?

Dude, I spend at least 2 months on every piece, often 3 months, and even 4-5 for some more difficult pieces.

There's a piece I've been working on for a year, on and off.

It's likely to be another year or two before I get it up to my decidedly non-perfectionist standards to record it.

Tricky rhythms take me many hours of practice before they start to feel right.

I suspect I'm not alone in this.

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get — only what you are expecting to give — which is everything. What you will receive in return varies. But it really has no connection with what you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn

#1091662 - 12/19/08 02:46 AM Re: ready to pull my hair out!!!!
1silkyferret Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Key Notes:
Hi Silky,

As usual, I trust that the experts' advises will come along, but in the mean time, this is just one beginner's advise.

I suggest that you have your instructor break each phrases down and demonstrate while recording each subsequent ones as to how he feel that they should sound or be played, so that you can have something to go back and listen to as a source of reference point while practicing.

Try to listen to his recorded versions and work on just one phrase at a time.

You can do it. Good luck to you!

Key Notes \:\) [/b]
HI Key,

He decided to kill it off. Its a xmas carol kind of thing and he was ready to kill my happy azz over it.
I would love to sneak in a tape recorder in...
This was a one time thing.
The rhytems are real simple for most folk. 8th and quarter notes mostly. A few dotted 8th notes for variety.

#1091663 - 12/19/08 10:22 AM Re: ready to pull my hair out!!!!
Kymber Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: MA
Well, everything is a learning experience. And sometimes we learn the hard way. It is difficult to relearn something on the spot in front of you teacher.

You might just want to learn the song as if it was a brand new song and not as trying to relearn it a different way. Look at the rhythm/melody first and clap it of tap it or whatever and memorize that first and then go back and play it.

#1091664 - 12/19/08 10:58 AM Re: ready to pull my hair out!!!!
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I don't think that imitating a given performance would work for me, especially if I was also trying to be true to the sheet music. A bit of a take-off on what Kymber is saying: For me there is a definite order in which I learn new music. 1. Make sure I understand the rhythms, chanting or clapping them out if need be. 2. Study the notes, determine hand placement, fingering (if it isn't written in). 3. Begin playing measure by measure or phrase by phrase HS and then HT. This might happen over several day. Then 4. When it starts being secure, bring in the interpretation without losing the underlying skeleton. It sounds like you are starting with what would be my step 4.

Not everyone works the same way, but that is what seems to work for me (in case it helps)

#1091665 - 12/22/08 04:01 PM Re: ready to pull my hair out!!!!
1silkyferret Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by keystring:
I don't think that imitating a given performance would work for me, especially if I was also trying to be true to the sheet music. A bit of a take-off on what Kymber is saying: For me there is a definite order in which I learn new music. 1. Make sure I understand the rhythms, chanting or clapping them out if need be. 2. Study the notes, determine hand placement, fingering (if it isn't written in). 3. Begin playing measure by measure or phrase by phrase HS and then HT. This might happen over several day. Then 4. When it starts being secure, bring in the interpretation without losing the underlying skeleton. It sounds like you are starting with what would be my step 4.

Not everyone works the same way, but that is what seems to work for me (in case it helps) [/b]
That lesson made me decide to go back to real basics.
I realize your right. It just really discoraged me. I am just doing scales and real simple technical exercises that are quarter and eighth notes right now with the metronome set at 40bpm because that is the slowest setting I have on mine.
I am using the Alfred's book 1 on just the simpler songs on the 40 bpm as well. My current plan is to just try to pretend that I just started last week and start out all over again from the begginning so I am not even doing our lesson pieces now. (the lesson stuff is more advanced than the alfred's stuff)that way I can concentrate on 2 things,metronome as a am I hitting the notes WHEN I am supposed to,and trying not to look at the keyboard so I can learn not not watch my hands. There are 2 pages of Hanon stuff that is useful for that.

#1091666 - 12/22/08 09:18 PM Re: ready to pull my hair out!!!!
Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: S. California
I hear it costs a lot more to put them back in ^^

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Interesting Piano Pictures from FB
by Piano World
10/31/14 04:14 PM
PX-350 Keyboard Modification
by Charles Cohen
10/31/14 04:08 PM
Pricing and discounts on under $1000 digital pianos?
by MeghanM
10/31/14 03:51 PM
now THIS is how you get realistic organ sounds
by David Farley
10/31/14 03:43 PM
The power of music
by Calgary Mike
10/31/14 03:03 PM
Who's Online
150 registered (accordeur, ajames, 36251, ando, 41 invisible), 1859 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76721 Members
42 Forums
158648 Topics
2329922 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission