Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
128 registered (AnimistFvR, accordeur, anamnesis, 36251, 40 invisible), 1584 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1091728 - 05/07/08 11:10 AM OT gas prices
Roger Ransom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: SouthWest Michigan
Now that we in the United States are whining about high gas prices again, I wonder what people in other countries are paying.

We are somewhere around $3.75 USD per gallon. That varies somewhat daily and depending where you live.

Nothing to do with pianos unless the prices keep me home playing more instead of joy riding or taking long trips.

Just curious.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1091729 - 05/07/08 11:21 AM Re: OT gas prices
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
I read in the Times that SUV sales have plummeted 25% recently. It's about time.

Unleaded is going for $3.50 a gallon today in Lexington.

When I tell my students I can remember when gas was just 30 cents a gallon they look at me like I'm hopelessly ancient. \:D

#1091730 - 05/07/08 11:23 AM Re: OT gas prices
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canton, MI
I hate to admit it, but I do remember when I first started driving...5 gals for a buck... oh the GOOD OLE DAYS...lol

then waiting in lines at something like $0.75 gal

oh ya...$3.65ish SouthEast Michigan
PTG Associate

#1091731 - 05/07/08 11:29 AM Re: OT gas prices
mjs Offline

Loc: München, Germany
Between about € 1.35 and € 1.50 per litre (depending on grade) in Germany, so, per US-gallon (3.6 l), that would make about US$ 7.50 to 8.40.

#1091732 - 05/07/08 11:41 AM Re: OT gas prices
Triryche Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
 Quote:
Originally posted by Roger Ransom:

Nothing to do with pianos unless the prices keep me home playing more instead of joy riding or taking long trips.

Just curious. [/b]
Could also affect delivery charges of new pianos.

$3.79 in Milwaukee, WI today \:\(

#1091733 - 05/07/08 11:45 AM Re: OT gas prices
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Edinburgh
The most expensive price I have seen so far here is £1.30 for a litre of diesel.

So converting litres to gallons, and £ to $, I make that:
$9.13/gallon.

(although our country is much smaller than USA, it still hurts \:\( )

#1091734 - 05/07/08 11:51 AM Re: OT gas prices
Triryche Offline
1000 Post Club Member

OUCH!!!

#1091735 - 05/07/08 11:52 AM Re: OT gas prices
melissa d Offline

Loc: Cibolo, Texas
I am feeling somewhat lucky after seeing gas prices elsewhere. Although at about $3.70 it still hurts.

#1091736 - 05/07/08 11:54 AM Re: OT gas prices
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
it's pretty much around $3.50-60 here. i wish i'd have a hybrid to drive...

#1091737 - 05/07/08 12:03 PM Re: OT gas prices
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
I drive a very rare VW Jetta wagon TDI This little turbo diesel gets an avg of 50 mpg!!, and that is the average!.

It is very spacious inside being a wagon and being a diesel, the torque is incredible. I am always the fastest car going up steep hills.

The VW jetta's that are diesel (TDI), are the most fuel efficient vehichles you can buy (other than the Golf TDI) . They get MUCH better gas mileage than even the toyota Prius because of the "catch"

The "catch" is that in the past, automakers fuel economy reports were based on driving 55 mph on the highway. Realistically, who drives 55 on the highway??

The diesels "sweat-spot" is right around 70mph when cruising. Because of the torque of the diesel, it easily makes up for wind resistance.

Other "hybrid" cars are fantastic in the city where they can utilize the braking energy but on the highway going realistic highway speeds (70-80mph), they start to fall WAY short.

The Toyota Prius highway mpg has been adjusted this year to only 41 mpg highway as opposed to the 61 once claimed.

The other "catch" is that diesel cars will NOT show up on anyones list of "best GAS mileage cars" since they do not run on gas!.

They CAN (and many do) run on pure vegetable oil and other bio-diesel fuel.

I'm really not sure why american farmers don't go back into business growing corn for bio-diesel fuel. It would put many farmers back in business, the fuel produced would be 100% american produced and there would be ZERO emmissions from the cars!

In europe, Volkswagon makes a little diesel car called the Lupo which gets 70 mpg. Also, the original Smart car (which uses a tiny diesel) also gets in the 70+ mpg range but of course the U.S will NOT allow the importation of the diesel Smart cars due to its impact on the us auto makers!.

Diesel costs a little more now, but that's only from a marketing perspective. Diesel is SO much cheaper to produce since it is MUCH less refined. This is why diesel in the past (since early man) has always been much cheaper to purchase. It used to be this way with skim milk too until skim milk became the in thing!.

Anyway, even at $4.00/gall, getting 50 mpg (with a heavy foot) still works for me!

BTW, You can still buy a VW Jetta TDI in a sedan version but they stopped making the wagon in 2005. You can or course buy used ones.

Volkswagon is putting out a new little diesel wagon later this year called a "Sport-wagon" which is essentially a Jetta wagon in the new body style.

The price will be in the mid to upper 20's. Not bad for a 50 mpg spacious car!.

#1091738 - 05/07/08 12:04 PM Re: OT gas prices
Babs_ Offline

Loc: Gulf Coast
Down here in Florida, I am paying $3.74 !

#1091739 - 05/07/08 12:08 PM Re: OT gas prices
YD Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
I remember renting a car in Europe (I think it was Brussel, but I might be mistaken) before 2000, and paying just under a dollar for gas, and then after I filled the car up I realized that the price was per LITER, not per GALLON. So, now we pay for the just about the same as poor Europeans were paying for it a decade ago. Just puts everything in perspective for me...

#1091740 - 05/07/08 12:09 PM Re: OT gas prices
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
What upsets me is that the price of gas isn't being driven by supply demand issues, but its speculator commodity buyers that are manipulating the market...

Also the oil companies claim that are just passing the cost to the consumer, yet they are making windfall profits.

Just hope the price can stabilize for a while. Its killing the little guy and hurting the economy big time.

Some say $7 a gallon in the next few years...

#1091741 - 05/07/08 12:21 PM Re: OT gas prices
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
Here is a photo of the 2008/9 VW Sportwagon TDI.

#1091742 - 05/07/08 12:26 PM Re: OT gas prices
Sundew Offline

Loc: England
No joke here is it Euan? The price seems to rise every other day though it is a tad cheaper in the south, diesel was £1.19 a litre this morning. I wouldn't like to say it is still the same tonight. The petrol/diesel differential is now 10p a litre, in favour of petrol. I get an average 50 mpg max from my diesel{Mazda 3}which includes a lot of short about town journies. Well, it did, my son now walks home from school and I do more and smaller shopping trips by shanks's pony. It isn't just fuel prices {including gas and electricity in the home} that are rocketing in the UK. The cost of staple foods has also increased. Winge over. LOL

{gotta laugh or cry really, one feels so impotent}

Some say $7 a gallon in the next few years...

Heck Mark I would {almost} cheerfully settle for 7$ a gallon.

#1091743 - 05/07/08 12:34 PM Re: OT gas prices
LisztAddict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
£1.19 x 1.95 = USD 2.32

USD 2.32 x 3.78 $/gal = $8.77/gal (about twice the price of diesel in the USA right now)

#1091744 - 05/07/08 12:40 PM Re: OT gas prices
LisztAddict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mr_super-hunky:
The Toyota Prius highway mpg has been adjusted this year to only 41 mpg highway as opposed to the 61 once claimed.[/b]
It has a lot to do with how you drive. I drove my relative's 2003 Prius for 170 miles of mix highway and city (with A/C on), I got 59 mpg.

#1091745 - 05/07/08 12:54 PM Re: OT gas prices
Roger Ransom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I suspected that prices were much higher in many countries. Thanks for the perspective.

I can easily remember 30 cent per gallon gas and even though I should be hardened to new prices, it still takes by breath away when I can put 40 USD worth of gas in my Miata. I'm glad I never bought into the SUV thing.

#1091746 - 05/07/08 12:59 PM Re: OT gas prices
Roger Ransom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Euan Morrison:
(although our country is much smaller than USA, it still hurts \:\( ) [/b]
I don't think the size of the country has much to do with how much the price hurts your wallet. \:\)

#1091747 - 05/07/08 01:26 PM Re: OT gas prices
billyshears66 Offline

Loc: Dracut, MA
One of the worse things I do on my drive into work, is calculate how long I have to work that day to just pay for my gas to get to and from work... it gets more depressing each week... I drive 80 miles round trip, and I have a decent car for MPG (around 35).

I used to drive a truck, and decided that the first hour of each work day was not worth paying for my trip. I got rid of that 2 years ago... now with the higher prices, I'm back to working the first hour just to pay for my trip.

Very depressing... need closer job \:\)

#1091748 - 05/07/08 01:44 PM Re: OT gas prices
bluekeys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I filled up in Virginia Beach, VA this weekend for $3.20/gal. After reading the other posts on this thread I consider myself very fortunate! \:\)

BTW--There is a web site, GasBuddy.com , that lets you type in a zip code and shows you the lowest local prices. Very Helpful!!

#1091749 - 05/07/08 01:53 PM Re: OT gas prices
ddh Offline

Loc: Abitibi
Make that $4.94 a gallon (USD/CAD) here in Kanada.

The lowest I ever saw when I was but a young brat was $0.34 a gallon but that was a lonnnnng time ago \:D

#1091750 - 05/07/08 02:15 PM Re: OT gas prices
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay area
It was $3.97/gal 2 days ago but it's higher in San Francisco proper. Luckily my husband and I work from home, so no commute (and no traffic headaches.) I have been much more conscientious about combining errands and decreasing driving ever since last year when prices started to go up. We are contemplating replacing my 12-yr old Nisson sedan with a Prius.

There are many people around SF area who commute 1-1.5 hrs each way! I feel really bad for them, even before the rise in gas. Now it's so much worse. And this is not to mention food prices soaring too.

Quote:
I'm really not sure why american farmers don't go back into business growing corn for bio-diesel fuel.
Mr.Hunky, in the Oct. 07 issue of National Geographic, there were some very informative articles on corn ethanol (E85). It turns out corn E85 isn't as much of a wonder solution as the media makes it sounds.

Part of the success in Brazil that is used as a talking point to promote E85 here is because in Brazil, they use sugar cane for E85. For every 1 unit of fossil fuel energy put in to produce sugar cane ethanol, 8 units of energy is produced(vs only 1.3 units energy output for corn ethanol.) The Greenhouse emission of production and use for sugar cane E85 (compared to gaoline) is 56% less. For corn ethanol, it is only 22% less. There is a lot more info in the article, e.g. land use issues, etc.

Anyway, I am very much a greenie liberal. But after being informed by the article, I have second thoughts about E85 being a major solution for us in the US.

#1091751 - 05/07/08 02:15 PM Re: OT gas prices
Stacey E Offline

Loc: Chicagoland Area
I'm all for bio-diesel. My brother is a mechanic and thinking about going to Sweden (or maybe it was Switzerland or Norway, not really sure) to take a two week course on manufacturing bio-diesel. The big problem with where we live is that it tends to turn into a gel in the colder weather. Some say you can do a mix of regular diesel and bio to counteract that issue. I think my brother was telling me that the guy who invented the diesel engine (named Diesel) actually designed it for use with plant based fuels, but that the auto manufactures adapted it for use with petroleum instead, in the interest of oil companies. Not sure if this is true, though.

#1091752 - 05/07/08 02:19 PM Re: OT gas prices
LisztAddict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stacey E:
... my brother was telling me that the guy who invented the diesel engine (named Diesel) actually designed it for use with plant based fuels, but that the auto manufactures adapted it for use with petroleum instead, in the interest of oil companies. Not sure if this is true, though. [/b]
That is TRUE.

#1091753 - 05/07/08 03:19 PM Re: OT gas prices
ProdigalPianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix Metro, AZ
 Quote:
Originally posted by YD:
I remember renting a car in Europe (I think it was Brussel, but I might be mistaken) before 2000, and paying just under a dollar for gas, and then after I filled the car up I realized that the price was per LITER, not per GALLON. So, now we pay for the just about the same as poor Europeans were paying for it a decade ago. Just puts everything in perspective for me... [/b]
That's true, but it's my general impression that a lot of Europe is reasonably covered by public transportation...whereas only a small percentage of the geographic area of the U.S. is covered by any public transportation at all.

And it will take years and years before that gets caught up...if ever.

My only domestic quality is that I live in a house.

#1091754 - 05/07/08 03:35 PM Re: OT gas prices
whippen boy Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
 Quote:
Originally posted by Rosanna:
It was $3.97/gal 2 days ago but it's higher in San Francisco proper.
Every day on the news I hear the reporter say "highest gas prices in the nation are to be found in San Francisco". \:\( My car is supposed to take premium, but I've downgraded a notch; even so, the price is still well over $4.00.

I must drive from gig to gig - I'm on the road several hours every day, and must pay bridge tolls too...

I also notice a new trend - gas stations are charging for air! I have a slow leak in one tire, which equates to a slow leak in my wallet.

#1091755 - 05/07/08 03:48 PM Re: OT gas prices
ROMagister Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bucuresti, Romania
The rise has a fundamental cause, called PEAK OIL. Easy to find oil is running out, or has already. It will get only worse, and surely ! So we better PREPARE !!
www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/
is a quite mild site about that. I know much more radical...

By the way, it seems to me most US-ians were much too willing/accepting of auto-commuting and dispersed living like "Desperate Housewives" ;-);-)
Us Europeans had compact cities started when cars weren't there ;-)

The typical popular Romanian-made car is the Dacia 1410 or newer Logan. Originally a copy of Renault 12, then upgraded, and again, in last 8 years with injection engine. Burns ~6-6.5 l / 100 km. Normal-sized to largish and underpowered (60 HP) for today's European cars, smaller than usual US monsters. Cost new $3500 a few years ago, the current version is 6000-8000. This is NOT the Tata Nano ;-)

... Still I don't forecast so expensive electricity for electronic keyboards to stop working so we remain only with acoustic instruments... back to 19th century !

#1091756 - 05/07/08 03:50 PM Re: OT gas prices
Triryche Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by whippen boy:
I also notice a new trend - gas stations are charging for air! I have a slow leak in one tire, which equates to a slow leak in my wallet. [/b]
In Milwaukee, I saw that start in the late 80's, I remember a buddy of mine (who had been going thru some tough times) exclaiming, "25 cents for air!!? Yes!! Now I can finally breathe!!”

#1091757 - 05/07/08 04:13 PM Re: OT gas prices
Rented Offline

Loc: Spain
I always smile a tad when I see news of Americans complaining about their gas prices. Now that you see what we pay in Europe I hope you understand why I think it is amusing \:\)

I can't blame you though, as it's human nature. I recently moved here to Spain from the Middle East (I'm originally from Sweden). In Saudi Arabia gas was about US$ 0.20 per liter. I later moved to the United Arab Emirates where the price 0.30. Well, that's 50% more expensive and I didn't like it \:\) The UAE then decided to raise it by 30% which didn't quite cause riots in the streets, but people where not happy.

I, for one, hope oil prices continue to rise! Our planet is sick people, and I'm afraid that nothing but a thin wallet will make us change our habits.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Rachmaninov Sonatas - 1 vs 2?
by iObsessed
11/25/14 08:07 PM
Completely OT- mods please move if necessary
by PhilipInChina
11/25/14 07:40 PM
Steinway "cottage" piano hammers
by ssenseney
11/25/14 07:19 PM
Garritan CFX vs VI Ravenscroft?
by LFYM
11/25/14 06:52 PM
Other Yamaha DGx 640/650 owners here ?
by vbdx66
11/25/14 06:19 PM
Forum Stats
77047 Members
42 Forums
159354 Topics
2340805 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission