2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, 9 invisible), 2,093 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#1091748 05/07/08 01:44 PM
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I filled up in Virginia Beach, VA this weekend for $3.20/gal. After reading the other posts on this thread I consider myself very fortunate! smile

BTW--There is a web site, GasBuddy.com , that lets you type in a zip code and shows you the lowest local prices. Very Helpful!!

#1091749 05/07/08 01:53 PM
ddh Offline
Make that $4.94 a gallon (USD/CAD) here in Kanada.

The lowest I ever saw when I was but a young brat was $0.34 a gallon but that was a lonnnnng time ago laugh

Daniel (Pramberger JP 208B)
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
#1091750 05/07/08 02:15 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It was $3.97/gal 2 days ago but it's higher in San Francisco proper. Luckily my husband and I work from home, so no commute (and no traffic headaches.) I have been much more conscientious about combining errands and decreasing driving ever since last year when prices started to go up. We are contemplating replacing my 12-yr old Nisson sedan with a Prius.

There are many people around SF area who commute 1-1.5 hrs each way! I feel really bad for them, even before the rise in gas. Now it's so much worse. And this is not to mention food prices soaring too.

I'm really not sure why american farmers don't go back into business growing corn for bio-diesel fuel.
Mr.Hunky, in the Oct. 07 issue of National Geographic, there were some very informative articles on corn ethanol (E85). It turns out corn E85 isn't as much of a wonder solution as the media makes it sounds.

Part of the success in Brazil that is used as a talking point to promote E85 here is because in Brazil, they use sugar cane for E85. For every 1 unit of fossil fuel energy put in to produce sugar cane ethanol, 8 units of energy is produced(vs only 1.3 units energy output for corn ethanol.) The Greenhouse emission of production and use for sugar cane E85 (compared to gaoline) is 56% less. For corn ethanol, it is only 22% less. There is a lot more info in the article, e.g. land use issues, etc.

Anyway, I am very much a greenie liberal. But after being informed by the article, I have second thoughts about E85 being a major solution for us in the US.

[Linked Image]
#1091751 05/07/08 02:15 PM
S
S
I'm all for bio-diesel. My brother is a mechanic and thinking about going to Sweden (or maybe it was Switzerland or Norway, not really sure) to take a two week course on manufacturing bio-diesel. The big problem with where we live is that it tends to turn into a gel in the colder weather. Some say you can do a mix of regular diesel and bio to counteract that issue. I think my brother was telling me that the guy who invented the diesel engine (named Diesel) actually designed it for use with plant based fuels, but that the auto manufactures adapted it for use with petroleum instead, in the interest of oil companies. Not sure if this is true, though.

#1091752 05/07/08 02:19 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Stacey E:
... my brother was telling me that the guy who invented the diesel engine (named Diesel) actually designed it for use with plant based fuels, but that the auto manufactures adapted it for use with petroleum instead, in the interest of oil companies. Not sure if this is true, though.
That is TRUE.

#1091753 05/07/08 03:19 PM
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally posted by YD:
I remember renting a car in Europe (I think it was Brussel, but I might be mistaken) before 2000, and paying just under a dollar for gas, and then after I filled the car up I realized that the price was per LITER, not per GALLON. So, now we pay for the just about the same as poor Europeans were paying for it a decade ago. Just puts everything in perspective for me...
That's true, but it's my general impression that a lot of Europe is reasonably covered by public transportation...whereas only a small percentage of the geographic area of the U.S. is covered by any public transportation at all.

And it will take years and years before that gets caught up...if ever.

Adult Amateur Pianist

My only domestic quality is that I live in a house.
#1091754 05/07/08 03:35 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Rosanna:
It was $3.97/gal 2 days ago but it's higher in San Francisco proper.
Every day on the news I hear the reporter say "highest gas prices in the nation are to be found in San Francisco". frown My car is supposed to take premium, but I've downgraded a notch; even so, the price is still well over $4.00.

I must drive from gig to gig - I'm on the road several hours every day, and must pay bridge tolls too...

I also notice a new trend - gas stations are charging for air! I have a slow leak in one tire, which equates to a slow leak in my wallet. :b:

#1091755 05/07/08 03:48 PM
R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
The rise has a fundamental cause, called PEAK OIL. Easy to find oil is running out, or has already. It will get only worse, and surely ! So we better PREPARE !!
www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/
is a quite mild site about that. I know much more radical...

By the way, it seems to me most US-ians were much too willing/accepting of auto-commuting and dispersed living like "Desperate Housewives" ;-);-)
Us Europeans had compact cities started when cars weren't there ;-)

The typical popular Romanian-made car is the Dacia 1410 or newer Logan. Originally a copy of Renault 12, then upgraded, and again, in last 8 years with injection engine. Burns ~6-6.5 l / 100 km. Normal-sized to largish and underpowered (60 HP) for today's European cars, smaller than usual US monsters. Cost new $3500 a few years ago, the current version is 6000-8000. This is NOT the Tata Nano ;-)

... Still I don't forecast so expensive electricity for electronic keyboards to stop working so we remain only with acoustic instruments... back to 19th century !

#1091756 05/07/08 03:50 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by whippen boy:
I also notice a new trend - gas stations are charging for air! I have a slow leak in one tire, which equates to a slow leak in my wallet. :b:
In Milwaukee, I saw that start in the late 80's, I remember a buddy of mine (who had been going thru some tough times) exclaiming, "25 cents for air!!? Yes!! Now I can finally breathe!!”

#1091757 05/07/08 04:13 PM
R
R
I always smile a tad when I see news of Americans complaining about their gas prices. Now that you see what we pay in Europe I hope you understand why I think it is amusing smile

I can't blame you though, as it's human nature. I recently moved here to Spain from the Middle East (I'm originally from Sweden). In Saudi Arabia gas was about US$ 0.20 per liter. I later moved to the United Arab Emirates where the price 0.30. Well, that's 50% more expensive and I didn't like it smile The UAE then decided to raise it by 30% which didn't quite cause riots in the streets, but people where not happy.

I, for one, hope oil prices continue to rise! Our planet is sick people, and I'm afraid that nothing but a thin wallet will make us change our habits.

#1091758 05/07/08 04:20 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by ROMagister:
By the way, it seems to me most US-ians were much too willing/accepting of auto-commuting and dispersed living like "Desperate Housewives" ;-);-)
Us Europeans had compact cities started when cars weren't there ;-)
Don't be too quick to judge... I live in an area that has a higher population density than your city, Bucharest. wink

If I could take public transportation to all of my musical events, I would. Unfortunately I must carry a trunk load of heavy music scores everywhere I go. The time factor is also a consideration. Even by car, I barely have enough time to get from one venue to the next.

#1091759 05/07/08 05:06 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by whippen boy:
My car is supposed to take premium, but I've downgraded a notch; even so, the price is still well over $4.00.
Do you often check the gas mileage? It's likely that you get a difference in mileages bigger than the difference in prices.

#1091760 05/07/08 05:12 PM
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B

That's true, but it's my general impression that a lot of Europe is reasonably covered by public transportation...whereas only a small percentage of the geographic area of the U.S. is covered by any public transportation at all.

And it will take years and years before that gets caught up...if ever.
I don't think public transportation will ever reach the level of acceptance in the US that it has in other parts of the world. Both as a matter of geography and national mindset, Americans demand independent transportation. Even if that means driving golf carts to work.

BTW--I'm actually glad to see gas prices rising. It's inevitable that an alternative to gas guzzling autos will happen, and higher prices will make it happen sooner, and therefore less painfully.

#1091761 05/07/08 05:23 PM
R
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
When I posted this morning the prices were around 3.75 USD. I filled the tank in my Miata after work and it was 3.99. Pretty scary.

We have always had fairly fuel efficient cars because I've alway realized that we WILL run out of oil. Not in my lifetime certainly, but petroleum is not being replaced - not very fast anyway :-). In the middle 70s the US had a scare that made people start thinking of alternative enery sources and smaller cars but shortly after that there was an insane rush to gigantic vehicles with huge engines.

I hope we take it to heart this time and get busy.

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
#1091762 05/07/08 05:27 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
We pay in the Netherlands this day:

€ 1,519 for one litre! :b: :b:

BTW......above all....we are many times in a traficjam in this crowded country..... mad bah cursing

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'

https://youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic
#1091763 05/07/08 05:27 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Update for SouthEast MI..$3.85

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
#1091764 05/07/08 05:30 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Please don't paint all Americans with the same brush: Public transportation would be wonderful, but out here in the wide open spaces of Nevada it's near non-existant. Towns are hundreds of miles apart, there's no bus service between. I'd LOVE to take public transport (or walk or bike) to work, but it's not an option. I live 9 miles (horizontal) and .25 miles (vertical) from work and the road is four lane highway, not safe for either. We were in Prague a few weeks ago, and I see how many Europeans can live easily without a car; public transport is available everywhere, inexpensive, and efficient. If only.

Corn & ethanol...that's a contributing factor to the rise in food prices. Farmers are able to get higher prices for the corn (good) and it's going to create a cleaner fuel (good). But that means there's less feed for cattle (bad) and it's more expensive (also bad). It's a start, but not a panacea. I can't even mention this thread around the house: husband sells commercial vehicles for GMC and is a certified master mechanic in alternative fuels. His blood pressure goes up with these kind of discussions as folks who don't have all the facts suggest things that aren't realistic.

BTW: gas is $3.83/gal. regular as of this morning in Reno.

Collector of sheet music I can't play.

Chickering & Sons Quarter Grand (rebuilt 2021)
#1091765 05/07/08 05:39 PM
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally posted by bluekeys:
BTW--I'm actually glad to see gas prices rising. It's inevitable that an alternative to gas guzzling autos will happen, and higher prices will make it happen sooner, and therefore less painfully.
Except for the pain to those families that cannot afford it, I'm with ya, bluekeys...

I am lucky in that the price is inconvienent, but does not really cause me to re-think what I buy or not. Some families are making very hard decisions, as gas is something they must buy to continue to work.

Some of us have become spoiled. My lovely bride DRIVES to the the gym. If gas was 20.00 a gal., she could walk, and not need the gym to begin with. Notice, I picked on her, with no mention of me.

Our zoning laws have "forced" us (OK, maybe allowed is more correct) to live away from our jobs, causing millions to be spent on roads to get back and forth.

I sometimes wonder, though, just where is everyone going ALL THE TIME. And, just a guess here, but I'm thinking 75% of the cars have one person in them.

Traffic is becoming an issue everywhere, and the price of fuel does not seem to be stemming the tide, so maybe it's still too cheap.

"There is nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself." Johann Sebastian Bach/Gyro
#1091766 05/07/08 07:08 PM
I'll chime in with a different perspective. I have no idea how much gas costs in Seattle. North of $3, I'm sure, but my bike doesn't use it, so it's not very relevant. I have a car, but I put about 500 miles on it last year. I'm seriously considering selling it.

I'm not trying to convert anyone, and I understand that bike commuting doesn't work for a lot of folks because they have to haul stuff, travel long distances, suffer from health issues (though some of those can be solved through exercise), or live in inhospitable climates. My wife has a car and drives it most days. For me, though, biking is pretty much the perfect solution year-round. I save the cost of parking, wear and tear on the car, gas, and a gym membership. All that savings last year made a substantial dent in the price of my grand piano!

#1091767 05/07/08 07:14 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Stacey E:
I think my brother was telling me that the guy who invented the diesel engine (named Diesel) actually designed it for use with plant based fuels, but that the auto manufactures adapted it for use with petroleum instead, in the interest of oil companies. Not sure if this is true, though.
He was right about the plant based fuel. Rudolph Diesel lived from 1858 - 1913, so corner gas stations weren't as plentiful as they are today. wink Early engines ran on all manner of liquids and gases. Diesel used peanut oil, but he was apparently also interested in the potential of using coal dust. Any oil, including the petroleum based stuff has an organic origin, so early inventors tended to start out using whatever was locally available or what they thought might give the best "bang for their buck" - i.e lamp oil or whatever.

I think that petroleum based fuels won out basically because they had widespread applications for heating, lighting, power etc and could provide an efficient range of products at a reasonable cost. Bio-diesel looks interesting, but I think it still has a way to go. There are still large environmental costs involved with growing it. Anti-petroleum, pro-bio enthusiasts tend to overlook (or not know) all the costs of turning over large areas of land from food production to fuel, using modern agriculture methods. It's a whole big can of worms in itself. Interesting stuff though.

When I first pumped gas as a job to help work through college it was less than 2 shillings a gallon. So about 19c US I guess. In Australia it's now somewhere around $1.40 per litre, which I suppose is between $5 and $6 US for a gallon.

I might have to get myself a steam car. smile (Not as outlandish as it sounds, one of my brothers recently rebuilt a steam car, and has a friend who built a steam powered motor bike. cool )

Cheers,

Chris

Who needs feet of clay? I can get into enough trouble with feet made of regular foot stuff...
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission