2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 8 invisible), 2,105 guests, and 340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
tk Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
We've all thought about this one, I am sure. I have always thought I would choose being deaf over being blind. I always thought it would be more important to see than to hear. But, as I was playing the piano the other day, it struck me just how sad and empty I would be if I couldn't hear the music I was playing. How did Beethoven do it? Would it be enough to have heard music in the past and know how it should sound, but only hear it in your mind? If I were suddenly to become deaf (Heaven forbid!!) after all these years of being able to hear music and let it captivate my body, mind and soul, I think I would go insane! I would still physically be able to play, but I can't imagine I would be able to play!

But, not being able to see...? I am sure I would go nuts if that happened, too! To not be able to appreciate something like the painting in jdsher's avatar or the beautiful scene I witnessed this evening of the sunlight filtering through the trees and dancing off a pool of water just as the city lights started to glimmer...

What would you pick if it were forced upon you: to be deaf or to be blind?

Like I said, I always thought I would choose deafness over blindness. Now I'm not so sure. Guess I should just thank my lucky stars I don't really have to choose, huh?

tk Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Well, hey! That was my 500th post! About time!! Gosh!

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
isn't that too degressing to even thinking about it, deaf/blind? of course, deaf is the worst.

Suz Offline
Do you know Evelyn Glennie, the deaf percussion player? I saw her perform--she was amazing. Check out her essay on hearing and music: http://www.evelyn.co.uk/hearing.htm
Congratulations on your 500th post! I think I have about 495 to go.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Have you ever had problems with your ears? I have frequent troubles.

I've had numerous times when my hearing was greatly reduced due to illness. Twice since I started playing piano, I have had an ear infection in my left ear that has caused my ear drum to burst. After your ear drum bursts, you can't hear properly in that ear (duh) and it takes a pretty long time for the ear drum to fully heal. A few times I practiced with the muffler pedal down, which I hate. After a certain point, the doc gives the green light to practice (but the ear drum isn't fully healed yet) Anyway, I tried playing the piano like that, but it sounded so awful... like being under water or having your head in a bowl of flour.

Because of all the problems I've had, I have a slight (veryvery slight) hearing loss in my left ear, but the other thing is that my ear drum is just not "robust" and it tends to be somewhat collapsed (that's the way the doc explained it) so I can tell when I'm having a good day or a bad day because it sounds a little different. My doctor said I probably won't notice it if I wasn't playing an acoustic instrument.

I can only imagine how it was for Beethoven, having that but instead of getting better, it just steadily got worse.

In answer to your question: blindness.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Gee, Traci, thanks for this "pick-me-up" thread. Maybe I'll start another one: Would You Rather be Missing One Arm or One Leg?

markb--The Count of Casio
tk Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by markb:
Gee, Traci, thanks for this "pick-me-up" thread.
Hey. No Problem. Just doing my part.

laugh

Really, though. Now that I think about it, the deaf or blind question is moot for us, Mark--we're both blind anyway!!

Shiro--The ear infection stuff... Sounds painful (in many different ways, I imagine). I am fortunate to not have had serious problems with my ears/hearing. Now, I can't see worth a darn w/o corrective lenses, but at least my hearing is good!

Suz--I followed the link and read the article. It was very interesting and educational! Here are a couple of quotes that particularly caught my attention:

"Who can say that when two normally hearing people hear a sound they hear the same sound?" Hmmmm... Good question!

"It is the musicians job to paint a picture which communicates to the audience the scene the composer is trying to describe." This totally makes sense to me!

Thanks for sharing this, Suz!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Not only can I not function without corrective lessons, I also have tinnitus. I'm such a pathetic specimen.

M
M
Lets see...

If I were deaf, I would'nt have to listen to the constant whining of the ex-wife from He**.

On the other hand,if I were blind I wouldn't have to gaze into her face and see the reflection of Satan himself...hmmmm

Tough choice from point of view!! eek eek

Mark

New sig line in the works....
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
laugh

tk Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
So, uh, Mark A. I'm guessing you and your ex-wife aren't exactly "best buds" anymore. I mean, really--it's just a guess. Call it intuition. I'm good like that! laugh

And, BTW, Mark A. Your "new sig line" has been "in the works" for ages now! Let's get that new one up there already!! wink

Mark B.--tinnitus, too?? Oh no! Now I am really sorry I started this thread!

O
O
Eyes...deffinitely eyes... :p Hearing is much more valuable, to a musician at least.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
ah yes, tinnitus. I have that as well (more in the left than the right, darn that ear drum) but I work very hard to ignore it. (They say that's the only cure! I'm waiting for a few more medical advances and I think they'll find something)

The thing about tinnitus is it's not so noticable when playing, or doing anything else that produces a sound. So for me, it's the more bearable problem. And my ignore-efforts are pretty advanced at this point, I think maybe that's why I always have music playing my head as I drift off to sleep and as soon as I wake up in the morning, it keeps me from noticing the ringing as much.

Ah, ears, precious ears...

Oh, and I can't do much without my glasses either!

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
BTW, doing horoscopes and such is a huge fad in Japan right now, and one of the piano magazines I read decided to do Beethoven's star charts in this month's edition.

I found out that LVB and I have the same zodiac sign, and one of the things the article said was that his sign predisposed him to ear problems! There were a whole bunch of other comments about his hearing and things that seemed to fit me, I had to laugh! and cringe.

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I have tinnitus.. it really sucks. constant ringing in both ears.

but to the topic- I'd rather be blind. you can still play an instrument, possibly even better, if you lose your sight.. probably would be hard to play and enjoy it deaf though..

unless you're some freaky composer like Beethoven who can still compose w/o hearing wink

"You look hopefully for an idea and then you're humble when you find it and you wish your skills were better. To have even a half-baked touch of creativity is an honor."
-- Ernie Stires, composer
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I would rather be blind.

No contest.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I would rather be deaf.

Support our troops!
Blind

Please excuse me. I have to go practice
With the volume at a typical rock concert, it seems like some people would really rather be deaf.

Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than, "I told you so."
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Just statistically -- we bring in expontentially more information through our eyes than our ears. Blindness would be a hugely greater *quantitative* loss than deafness.

Yet, for a musician I can understand why one might prefer to retain sound -- the "qualitative" information might be for some much more important.

I am not good enough as a musician nor do I have a keen enough ear in terms of appreciation to want to retain hearing over sight, and as an architect I need to be able to see...

Parenthetically I wonder how fictional were those scenes in "Ray" where he had such heightened hearing that he could find the cricket in the room, etc.

Estonically yours,

Ivorythumper

"Man without mysticism is a monster"
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission