Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1092095 - 09/22/05 08:50 AM New member intro
Laura D Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Ok, I will answer the questions:
Republican
Never divorced
No income

Ummm....I mean
Favorite composer: Mozart or Beethoven
Piece of music: hard to say
Genre: classical, but I listen to country sometimes on the radio
Other instruments: Played clarinet up through a couple of years in college
Why learn piano: Hate seeing my 6 year old daughter beat me at anything
Dream piece: Right now, the Mozart double piano concerto played with my teacher (she said someday we will play it--her 8th to 12th grade students played it at the spring recital, with an orchestra--I would settle with just the piano parts)

I took a couple of years of piano in high school, because I wanted to learn to play, but I never practiced much. I could already read the music and I would just go to my lesson and fake it. I think I did not have a particularly inspiring teacher. She never talked about playing musically, just walked me through notes.

Now I am 46. I have 10 kids. The youngest is now 4 and I have time to practice. A year ago I started doing accounting for a piano teacher friend of mine. I did not want her to pay me, so she suggested giving piano lessons to my 6 year old daughter. She started in September. Over Christmas vacation, while we were traveling to my oldest two sons' weddings, I practiced on every piano I could find and worked through Suzuki Book I. At New Year's I had my first lesson. I spent two weeks on an easy reading book, then took a couple of months to work through Suzuki Book II.

In March I started on the Sonatinas. I listen to the CD from the Sonatina Album and feel like a kid in a candy store. I have Clementi Op 36 #1 pretty good, I have been working on #5, getting those triplets up to speed (160 bpm is pretty fast) for two months and it is getting there. The second movement of that one (Air Suisse) has to be about my favorite. I have just started the third movement.

I also am working on the Diabelli Op 151 No 1 (getting close), the Kuhlau Op 20 No 1 (first mvt, just reading the others still) and Op 55 No 1 (fairly close).

I play/sight read through the Clementi Op 36 nos. 2 and 3 once in a while, and I'm sure I will play them eventually.

I also got a Joplin book a couple of months ago and have Maple Leaf Rag pretty much learned, except it will take time to get it up to speed.

The other thing I work on is 4-part hymns from the church hymnal. That is the hardest for me. I hate practicing one hymn over and over. So boring. And I always make mistakes. I have finally discovered that if I go through the whole book by key signature (meaning I play everything with two sharps, etc), I sort of like it, and the chords get more and more automatic. I can play through most of them slowly, but if somebody tries to sing with me, if I make a mistake I am lost. I need to develop the talent of keeping the melody going at least. I can tell I'm getting better, but I am not ready to play for a group to sing with yet.

I spend probably an average of 2 hours a day practicing. I have an excellent teacher who really inspires me to work hard. She is so conscious of technique and musicality, which I have never had anybody try to teach me before, plus she loves teaching theory.

I am still very nervous playing for people. I shake and make all kinds of mistakes. I would go to my lesson thinking I had a piece pretty good, and totally destroy it. Couldn't play two notes right in a row. I am getting more comfortable at lessons. I finally decided that I was not going to tell myself I would play it perfectly, I would just show her how far I had gotten. That took some of the pressure off.

And then on the advice of my teacher, I play for as many people as I can. Anybody who comes to my house has to sit and listen to me play something. I go play at my friends' houses. Most of them are very complimentary.

We have two old uprights right now. We got the first one 20 years ago for $100. It looked awful. Painted white with gold antiquing that was chipping off and showing the underlying black. Somebody had taken a saw (!) to the top lid. Veneer was missing. The husband of my current piano teacher helped move it to my house. He told me how to take it all apart so I could refinish it. This was my first project. I stripped it (white paint down in the pores of the wood is very hard to remove!), learned to replace and repair veneer, sanded, stained. I replaced the felt over the keys and around the pedals. It turned out absolutely beautiful. Dark mahogany, carved details and trim. Big problem, it can't be tuned up to pitch, it is half a step low. And it basically was never a very well built piano.

So when we started getting serious about lessons, it was obvious we needed another piano. One that could be tuned to pitch so we could practice with the tapes our teacher gives us. We got another old one, but much better quality. Free, hadn't been tuned in 30 years. The tech was able to get it up to pitch without breaking any strings (!) and adjusted the keys that weren't working quite right. The upper register sounds really tinny, but for now it will have to do. It has a much better feel than the other one. Duets on the two pianos are no good with them tuned apart though! So I am giving away the old one. My husband thought that I would never agree to give it away after all that work, but it doesn't matter any more. Now I want a piano to play, not look at. And of course I am dreaming of a grand. I go around to piano stores and try them out, and definitely am learning that I like some much better than others. Too bad they are the expensive ones!

Guess this was almost a novel. I enjoy reading everybody's posts. I was amazed to see all the people here who practice hours a day like I do. I just can't seem to quit. Even when I should go to bed, I think I will sit and play something one more time, and next thing I know, it is an hour later. Luckily nobody complains about me playing at midnight. I think my husband puts a pillow on his head.

Laura

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1092096 - 09/22/05 09:11 AM Re: New member intro
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Hi Laura, Welcome to the forum!!! I can't believe you can find two hours a day to practice while raising 10 (!!) kids. That's impressive. (On the other hand, I imagine that raising 10 kids makes two hours of stress relief pretty much essential.)

I loved reading your story. What a shame about the old piano you lovingly refinished.

And kudos to you for playing for as many other people as you can despite being nervous. It sounds like you've made a tremendous amount of progress since you started, and it's great you have a good teacher now.

Thanks again for sharing with us.

#1092097 - 09/22/05 12:32 PM Re: New member intro
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Blackpool, UK
Hi Laura

Loved the story...shame about the old piano \:\(

10 kids?...yikes!

Welcome aboard \:\)

Lee

#1092098 - 09/23/05 02:04 AM Re: New member intro
tk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles County
 Quote:
Originally posted by Laura D:
I have 10 kids. The youngest is now 4 and I have time to practice. [/b]

Okay, you know I am thinking what Monica was! I don't know how you were able to sit there with a straight face and type that! (Uh, that's an assumption, of course!) Wow! That's amazing!

I really enjoyed reading your story. Although, it sure makes slackers like me feel incredibly guilty and shamed!! \:\) But, really, it's always great to see someone who is so in love with the piano. You seem to be progressing quickly. Keep up the good work, and welcome to Piano World!

#1092099 - 09/23/05 08:13 AM Re: New member intro
Laura D Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
You have to understand, this is the first time in 24 years that I have not had one or two or even three kids *under* 4 years old. And my 4 oldest are out of state in college now, so I have a quiet house, especially in the daytime when the kids are gone to school. Only one left at home and he is pretty easy-going.

Thanks to everybody for the welcome. Don't worry about the old piano. It has had 20 years of lots of kids banging against it to get dinged up a little, so it isn't as pretty as it was. Besides, the bass notes are just thuds.

I just made a CD of the duet parts (Henry C. Timm) to Clementi Sonatina op 36 #1 in Sibelius, so I can practice with it. Wow, that is fun! I borrowed the music from my teacher. It is more fun to play with her, and easier, because she can adjust to my tempo variations, but this is really good practice. Even when I thought I had it well learned, there are bits where I have trouble staying with the CD. I spent probably 6 hours entering it (I don't have a keyboard) but I'm getting faster, and learning all kinds of things I can do in Sibelius.

Thanks again for all the welcomes!

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
> Robin Spielberg Playing in Maine! <
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
151 registered (accordeur, ajames, 36251, 41 invisible), 1944 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75483 Members
42 Forums
156065 Topics
2291766 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Where is the new blood?
by Markarian
07/22/14 03:53 PM
Please Help!!
by OliviaWalter
07/22/14 01:39 PM
Performing Chopin's preludes
by JoelW
07/22/14 01:31 PM
Stephen Hough - Advice for talented piano students
by fnork
07/22/14 12:58 PM
Getting started with MIDI: One question.
by 90SITA
07/22/14 12:46 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission