Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1094704 - 08/12/04 08:14 AM Re: Student Recitals?
Cindysphinx Offline

Loc: Washington D.C. Metro
 Quote:
Yes, it's a little frightening to be playing among all kids. My teacher has put me to be the last to perform and I hope this won't backfire!
Ooooh, the "What's the best recital slot for the adult beginner?" question!

I don't know about anyone else, but I take this whole slotting business seriously. My teacher's recitals start with the student playing the easiest piece and end with the most difficult piece. Early on, this was rather tricky. My first recital piece slotted me with the 11-12 year old kids, all of whom have nerves of steel and tend to perform flawlessly.

Now, though, I am getting close to the slot where I would be ending the first half of the recital, before intermission. We are going to have to find a different slot for me because I would be too nervous having to try to end the thing on a high note.

Cindy -- who wishes she could go first and get it out of the way, but who thinks it would be unseemly to preempt a five-year-old kid

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post...QvjrL_blog.html

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1094705 - 08/12/04 11:17 AM Re: Student Recitals?
teachum Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: idaho
Frank - My piano is actually in Seattle (did I mention that? - old age setting in!) I'm thinking I will be able to take delivery no later than end of September. Hopefully sooner. Definitely before the snow flies. I don't want to take delivery of a grand piano in a snowstorm in North Idaho! I'm going to see the piano next week. Alex HErnandez has it for me in safekeeping!

Estonia #6141 in Satin Mahogany

#1094706 - 08/12/04 04:12 PM Re: Student Recitals?
nan Offline

Loc: San Francisco
Question for those of you with children at the ricitals -- is it just us adults that sweat so much when we play at recitals? I know of course that children also can get stage fright, but from what I've seen, they seem to get past it very quickly. I find I can start off very well but by the middle start to fade out and lose my spot in the music. (I am working on making sure I know how to read the music and find my place again because that really improves my ability to restart after flubbing it.)

#1094707 - 08/12/04 08:04 PM Re: Student Recitals?
teachum Offline
2000 Post Club Member

So Frank - I noticed on the What Does your Piano Thread that ChickGrand doesn't wear any shoes either. You better give her a hard time too!!
\:D

#1094708 - 08/12/04 09:34 PM Re: Student Recitals?
cathys Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia
Nan - It seems like the children I've seen play don't yet have that same fear of failure. If I ask my son how he feels before playing in front of an audience or judges he says, "fine Mom?" and looks at me like I'm from another planet. He always loves playing for people too if someone comes over all of sudden you'll start to hear him playing. I do notice some body language that would seem like nerves are somewhere there; My son gets very shy & quiet when asked to introduce or take a bow.

teachum - I believe chickgrand is a he ;\)

Cathy

#1094709 - 08/14/04 03:19 PM Re: Student Recitals?
Frank R Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Anaheim Hills, CA
Teach,

I missed that one \:\( . This could get serious if it catches on. There could be ANARCHY .

Keep peddlin Teach.

Frank
--------------------------
It's not who we are that holds us back, it's who we think we're not!

#1094710 - 08/14/04 04:27 PM Re: Student Recitals?
teachum Offline
2000 Post Club Member

\:\) \:\( \:D ;\) :rolleyes:

Well - well I finally actually figured out how to make these things work - so simple!!!

#1094711 - 08/14/04 04:29 PM Re: Student Recitals?
teachum Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Cathy S - Yeah I got told (pm'd) Oh well - I still think Chick Grand is a "chick" name. But now I see the "other meaning" I thought Chick was a Chick with a Chick. Sorry Chick!!! \:D :p \:\)

#1094712 - 08/22/04 07:23 AM Re: Student Recitals?
Hammerklavier Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Hammerklavier:
Does your teacher have Student Recitals?[/b]
Yes.

Do you play in them?[/b]
Going to next week!

Does your teacher have other adult students?[/b]
I am not too sure but I guess so.

Are you the only adult on the program???[/b]
Yes, it's a little frightening to be playing among all kids. My teacher has put me to be the last to perform and I hope this won't backfire!

For bonus points, and a tie-in to the "first piece" thread, what was the first piece you played in a Student Recital (as an adult if you are a retread)?[/b]
This is my first recital and I am only playing one piece from Clayderman. At the end of the day, the audience (parents) will vote for their favourite performer. [/b]
Phew, I have just finished my group recital! Now, I can finally get that irritating Clayderman piece out of my head!

The recital started with about 12 people playing a classical piece each and the remaining 5 playing easy-listening stuff. It turned out that not only adult beginners get nervous during recitals, some of the kids are rather nervous too. And that helps a little... \:D Some got nervous to the point of stopping the music for one or two seconds before repeating the passage again. The tension could also be attributed to the fact that this was the first time most of us played on a grand and it can be rather alien. This was my third time playing on a grand and I still could not get used to the heavier actions. For eg, I didn't played hard enough on some bass notes and it seemed that the sound that came out was a little inaudible. I also found the treble a little bright but otherwise, it was a really fine piano and it is of course way better and more expressive than what I get to practise on at home (Yamaha U1). It's a Seiler grand by the way.

I was generally satisfied with my own performance although I know I can do better (at home of course! ). Like most people, I made some mistakes during the performance but *maybe* the crucial difference is that I made my mistakes in the softer accompaniment part (when often I didn't play the notes at all or due to the above mentioned reason - heavier actions) while my melody notes were singing and went on smoothly. This somehow covered up the mistake. And to my utter surprise, I was voted one of the 2 favourite performers! I thought I wouldn't stand a chance as parents might actually like the kids better but well, lady luck's on my side. Yipee! The easy-listening Clayderman must have helped too.

After so many weeks of preparation, I am finally relieved that it had come to an end. All I know now is that I will be there come next year! \:\)

Thanks for listening. This is a great forum!

#1094713 - 08/22/04 09:16 AM Re: Student Recitals?
Hammerklavier Offline

I forgot to add that I have some pictures taken for those that are interested but the problem is that I have no idea on how to post them. I think it needs some webhost or something and I don't have one either.

No audio files though...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
159 registered (accordeur, A Guy, acortot, 36251, 49 invisible), 1697 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76033 Members
42 Forums
157213 Topics
2309057 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Arrangers Comparable to Marilynn Ham Suggestions
by Hunt
09/01/14 04:13 PM
Bach well tempered clavier vs goldberg variations
by hag01
09/01/14 04:09 PM
Why are pianos measured by external dimensions?
by smrkdown
09/01/14 02:11 PM
Do you "swing" your Courante?
by Cinnamonbear
09/01/14 01:47 PM
Kawai MP6 and settings via MIDI
by Lania
09/01/14 01:10 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission