2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, Barly, 1957, 10 invisible), 2,048 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#1094694 08/10/04 07:24 PM
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Originally posted by Frank R:
"2nd Recital - Gershwin's Prelude II - Better, but still shaking - foot shook pretty bad too. I pedal barefoot."

Teachum,

Do you usually get a pedicure before a recital? If so would you only get it on one foot or both?
Do you walk out with only one shoe on, both shoes on, or no shoes on? Also, what about sox how do they fit in the mix. laugh

You know your making this way too much fun :p
Typical of me to lay myself wide-open. That's me. Sign on my back says "Kick me, make fun of me, I'm gullible." Hmmm - pedicure - I could certainly use one. But no - I don't get one. I walk out with both shoes on then kick one off. No sox - but you have to remember to put your shoe back on before you take a bow and walk off! Hopefully it hasn't crawled too far away. Otherwise you go CLUMP,clump,CLUMP, clump..

You will be 10 years older, ten years from now, no matter what you do - so go for it!

Estonia #6141 in Satin Mahogany
#1094695 08/10/04 08:15 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Teachum,

Great response thumb . Actually I'm the same way, give um a big smile and take one right in the chops. You're a good sport.

Keep peddlin. wink

Keep a song in your heart!

Frank
--------------------------
It's not who we are that holds us back, it's who we think we're not!
#1094696 08/11/04 06:07 AM
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
No pressure. I can hear it now... "now Jimmie, do a good job with your Fur Elise because we're going to be playing that CD to all your friends and relatives for years to come".
Funny, that hadn't even occured to me, or the teacher! I just thought it would be nice! I didn't hear anybody mention being nervous about a recording.. I just had two good mics discretly placed about halfway back (which was too far away, but that's another topic on another board) but I cleaned up the recording pretty well in the computer.

It's funny, a little kid was playing Fur Elise, he did an amazing job with it, but there was this dog outside, barking, IN TIME even, everybody thought it was a kid in the audience being bad but nope, a dog.. got louder and louder, didn't phase the kid playing one bit!

Anyway - yeah, I love that Chopin waltz as well. Tastefull, but great opportunity for some expressive playing and showing off some chops on those fluid right hand runs. I'm hoping to tackle the Bb Nocturne in the coming months.

Right now I'm working on Schumann's "Knight Rupert" (spelled in English 'cause I don't want to hack the spelling of it ;-).. I can almost get through it at the right speed (quarter note is 126, it's pretty much all 16th notes, alternating both hands, in 2/4.. ack!)

I didn't get around to posting sounds last night, hopefully tonight!

-Paul

"You look hopefully for an idea and then you're humble when you find it and you wish your skills were better. To have even a half-baked touch of creativity is an honor."
-- Ernie Stires, composer
#1094697 08/11/04 02:00 PM
P
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P
Does your teacher have Student Recitals?
Yes. We have one regular recital each year. My teacher's mother is also a piano teacher, and they combine their recitals. In addition, the adults have a holiday potluck recital and ensemble thing around Xmas. The kids have a halloween one that mandates costumes.

Do you play in them?
Yes.

Does your teacher have other adult students?
Yes. She has had two or three other adults at any given time during the three years I have been taking lessons from her. All of them are retreads. She also teaches harp and most of her harp students are adult beginners.

Are you the only adult on the program???
I am usually the only adult piano student. Most of the adult harp students also play.

For bonus points, and a tie-in to the "first piece" thread, what was the first piece you played in a Student Recital (as an adult if you are a retread)?
It was a Bach Bouree. I don't remember the number. I guess I don't qualify for the bonus points. Also there was another piece I don't really remember...I can find the program to jog my memory. A kid at that recital played the same Bach Bouree, but only the first line and a half of it.

It's a little disconcerting to be in the middle of a program where most of the rest of the performers aren't even old enough to drive. The Performance Anxiety is better some days, worse on others.

Last year's xmas recital was a bust. We usually have six or eight harps and a couple of adult piano students. We practice a few holiday songs on our own, then attempt to play them as an ensemble. Since there's only one piano there, I bring a couple of recorders (a tenor and a bass) to play on the ensemble pieces. Then each person does a solo piece. I had a little Bach Minuet prepared, but I totally bombed. I was also the only guy there. I think there was too much estrogen in the room.

This spring, I played pretty well at the regular recital. It was my first Scarlatti piece and I was pretty pumped to be able to share it.

#1094698 08/11/04 05:12 PM
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I am not a student, but I really enjoy going to student recitals. I like hearing people having fun playing the piano.

My one comment about them is that most of the adult students have a lot of problems with memory slips. I really think that it would be better if they would have the music available, just so that they can be more comfortable playing.

The most memorable experience at a student recital this year was the adult student who had a lot of trouble with a Chopin Nocturne last year, and wasn't going to play any more. But this year he played a movement of Ravel's Mother Goose with his daughter, and they really nailed the piece. It made everyone feel good to hear it.

Semipro Tech
#1094699 08/11/04 08:52 PM
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Just have to keep chiming in! I love that Chopin Waltz too - in fact I just learned it. Hey Frank - did ya know I'm gettin an Estonia 190 too?!?!?!?!? I'm not excited or anything. You guys are all going to be SICK of me talking about it until it arrives!!! laugh

You will be 10 years older, ten years from now, no matter what you do - so go for it!

#1094700 08/11/04 09:19 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Theach,

Very cool, when are you taking delivery? I had about a 6 week wait, due to remodeling. Slowest 6 weeks ever. Well worth the wait though, I love mine.

Of course we'll see pics immediately RIGHT?

Remember keep peddlin. laugh

Frank
#1094701 08/11/04 09:55 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by BDB:
But this year he played a movement of Ravel's Mother Goose with his daughter, and they really nailed the piece. It made everyone feel good to hear it.
I played some of this with my teacher, both for family recitals and for a local music club eek (in existance for a million years!) It is so much harder to play than it looks! Kudos to the Dad and daughter that played it! thumb

BeeLady

Life is like a roll of toilet paper...the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!
#1094702 08/11/04 10:38 PM
B
BDB Offline
B
The daughter is still in elementary school, I think. She is pretty small, and her father is fairly tall. It was quite a contrast.

Semipro Tech
#1094703 08/12/04 07:51 AM
Does your teacher have Student Recitals?
Yes.

Do you play in them?
Going to next week!

I am not too sure but I guess so.

Yes, it's a little frightening to be playing among all kids. My teacher has put me to be the last to perform and I hope this won't backfire!

For bonus points, and a tie-in to the "first piece" thread, what was the first piece you played in a Student Recital (as an adult if you are a retread)?
This is my first recital and I am only playing one piece from Clayderman. At the end of the day, the audience (parents) will vote for their favourite performer.

#1094704 08/12/04 08:14 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Yes, it's a little frightening to be playing among all kids. My teacher has put me to be the last to perform and I hope this won't backfire!
Ooooh, the "What's the best recital slot for the adult beginner?" question!

I don't know about anyone else, but I take this whole slotting business seriously. My teacher's recitals start with the student playing the easiest piece and end with the most difficult piece. Early on, this was rather tricky. My first recital piece slotted me with the 11-12 year old kids, all of whom have nerves of steel and tend to perform flawlessly.

Now, though, I am getting close to the slot where I would be ending the first half of the recital, before intermission. We are going to have to find a different slot for me because I would be too nervous having to try to end the thing on a high note.

Cindy -- who wishes she could go first and get it out of the way, but who thinks it would be unseemly to preempt a five-year-old kid

#1094705 08/12/04 11:17 AM
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Frank - My piano is actually in Seattle (did I mention that? - old age setting in!) I'm thinking I will be able to take delivery no later than end of September. Hopefully sooner. Definitely before the snow flies. I don't want to take delivery of a grand piano in a snowstorm in North Idaho! I'm going to see the piano next week. Alex HErnandez has it for me in safekeeping!

#1094706 08/12/04 04:12 PM
N
nan Offline
N
Question for those of you with children at the ricitals -- is it just us adults that sweat so much when we play at recitals? I know of course that children also can get stage fright, but from what I've seen, they seem to get past it very quickly. I find I can start off very well but by the middle start to fade out and lose my spot in the music. (I am working on making sure I know how to read the music and find my place again because that really improves my ability to restart after flubbing it.)

#1094707 08/12/04 08:04 PM
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
So Frank - I noticed on the What Does your Piano Thread that ChickGrand doesn't wear any shoes either. You better give her a hard time too!!
laugh

#1094708 08/12/04 09:34 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Nan - It seems like the children I've seen play don't yet have that same fear of failure. If I ask my son how he feels before playing in front of an audience or judges he says, "fine Mom?" and looks at me like I'm from another planet. He always loves playing for people too if someone comes over all of sudden you'll start to hear him playing. I do notice some body language that would seem like nerves are somewhere there; My son gets very shy & quiet when asked to introduce or take a bow.

teachum - I believe chickgrand is a he wink

Cathy

#1094709 08/14/04 03:19 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Teach,

I missed that one frown . This could get serious if it catches on. There could be ANARCHY eek .

Keep peddlin Teach. cool

Frank
#1094710 08/14/04 04:27 PM
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
smile frown laugh wink :rolleyes:

Well - well I finally actually figured out how to make these things work - so simple!!!

#1094711 08/14/04 04:29 PM
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Cathy S - Yeah I got told (pm'd) Oh well - I still think Chick Grand is a "chick" name. But now I see the "other meaning" I thought Chick was a Chick with a Chick. Sorry Chick!!! laugh :p smile ha

#1094712 08/22/04 07:23 AM
Originally posted by Hammerklavier:
[b]Does your teacher have Student Recitals?
Yes.

Do you play in them?
Going to next week!

I am not too sure but I guess so.

This is my first recital and I am only playing one piece from Clayderman. At the end of the day, the audience (parents) will vote for their favourite performer. [/b]
Phew, I have just finished my group recital! Now, I can finally get that irritating Clayderman piece out of my head!

The recital started with about 12 people playing a classical piece each and the remaining 5 playing easy-listening stuff. It turned out that not only adult beginners get nervous during recitals, some of the kids are rather nervous too. And that helps a little... laugh Some got nervous to the point of stopping the music for one or two seconds before repeating the passage again. The tension could also be attributed to the fact that this was the first time most of us played on a grand and it can be rather alien. This was my third time playing on a grand and I still could not get used to the heavier actions. For eg, I didn't played hard enough on some bass notes and it seemed that the sound that came out was a little inaudible. I also found the treble a little bright but otherwise, it was a really fine piano and it is of course way better and more expressive than what I get to practise on at home (Yamaha U1). It's a Seiler grand by the way.

I was generally satisfied with my own performance although I know I can do better (at home of course! thumb ). Like most people, I made some mistakes during the performance but *maybe* the crucial difference is that I made my mistakes in the softer accompaniment part (when often I didn't play the notes at all or due to the above mentioned reason - heavier actions) while my melody notes were singing and went on smoothly. This somehow covered up the mistake. And to my utter surprise, I was voted one of the 2 favourite performers! eek I thought I wouldn't stand a chance as parents might actually like the kids better but well, lady luck's on my side. Yipee! The easy-listening Clayderman must have helped too.

After so many weeks of preparation, I am finally relieved that it had come to an end. All I know now is that I will be there come next year! smile

Thanks for listening. This is a great forum!

#1094713 08/22/04 09:16 AM
I forgot to add that I have some pictures taken for those that are interested but the problem is that I have no idea on how to post them. I think it needs some webhost or something and I don't have one either.

No audio files though... ha

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission