Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
118 registered (accordeur, aesop, anamnesis, 41 invisible), 1525 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1096472 - 01/10/05 07:14 PM Cheating
Jerry Luke Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Tillamook, Oregon
I'm learning Scarlatti's Sonata K32 in D minor (my goal for 2005). Several of the LH chords are 4-finger chords. I'm not ready for that yet. While analyzing the piece, I noticed that most of the chords are I, IV, or V7 chords with an extra note thrown in. Since I can handle 3-finger chords in this key (thanks, Alfred's!), I have been dropping the extra note and playing the 3-finger I, IV, or V7 chords.

Now, this is technically not how the composer wrote the piece, so am I cheating if I play the simplified chords? In other words, will I still be able to say that I can play this piece, or would I be lying because I am actually playing some mutated version of my own creation? \:\(

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1096473 - 01/10/05 09:16 PM Re: Cheating
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
i remember that chord (1st of such perhaps), which could be played by 5432 and is not that hard to get used to. you just need to practice pressing down all 4 fingers for such a chord for a while to get the feel of it. it is a simple piece already so that every note there should be played as it is in order not to loose its harmonic color.

#1096474 - 01/10/05 09:26 PM Re: Cheating
markjpcs Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
I agree with signa.

Take the extra time and learn it correctly the first time.

#1096475 - 01/10/05 10:21 PM Re: Cheating
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, WA, USA
I agree, they're pretty intimidating at first. But after practicing them a couple dozen times very slowly and ensuring you're hitting the right notes every time you'll get them down.

Try picking just two of the chords and go back and forth between them. Play one chord twice and then play the other twice, repeat. You'll be shocked at how fast your fingers automatically "get" the position.

I'm running into the same thing with Misty from the Sudnow course. We're playing four note chords with the right hand one right after the other.

#1096476 - 01/10/05 10:52 PM Re: Cheating
ragtimebg Offline

Loc: California
I think you should play it any way it gives you pleasure. I think it's better to pay something more clearly and well by simplifying it a little, rather than struggling through the awkward parts..../// But I'm pretty lazy.

#1096477 - 01/11/05 01:23 AM Re: Cheating
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: not in Japan anymore
It's not cheating to drop a note out of the chords and play with a simplified LH, and that doesn't mean that you can't play the piece, but it's a little like playing an easier arrangement, since you aren't strictly playing the original. However, that doesn't mean that you mustn't play that piece for others or that you shouldn't say you can play.

That being said, I have to agree with everyone else who say you should keep working on it till you can play it as it's written. You might play it your way for musical pleasure, and work on the full chords for musical practice/advancement, giving you the best of both worlds.

It's very tempting to drop a note here and there (esp from the left hand or when it's not part of the main melody) because it's such an effective short cut. But this can become a bad habit if you never push yourself to get used to playing the original score. I'm talking to myself here as much as anyone else. I have a bad habit of simplifying some of the Christmas songs I play because I want to make them playable as soon as possible, and every year I end up playing with dropped notes. This past Christmas I worked one piece up exactly as it's written, and I plan to do that with at least one more song for Christmas 2005...

#1096478 - 01/11/05 04:00 AM Re: Cheating
TimR Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
I just started looking at that one last night.

Funny thing, somebody must have sneaked in and erased all the fingerings. Very irritating.

I worked through the most of the left hand chords last night and wrote down what seemed like reasonable fingerings. (Having taken lessons for only three months, I'm not confident I know how to do this, I'll have to have somebody check it.)

Those chord changes aren't that fast, and I'm trying them with all the notes. But if you want to drop some notes out, that makes sense too.

I think if you are ever going to play it right, you'd better use the right fingerings for the notes that you do play, right from the beginning.

Does that make sense? Like, the first chord is D-A-D. I'm fingering it 5-2-1. You could drop the bottom D and just play A-D. But make sure you finger it 2-1, not 4-1 or 5-1. Or, drop the top D, and finger what's left as 5-2. Not 5-1. Just an example. The 4 note chords are worse for having too many ways to finger them as 3 noters.

If you don't do this, when you come to add the other notes in, you'll be forever confused over fingerings.

#1096479 - 01/11/05 06:11 AM Re: Cheating
mound Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
actually, outlining chords that way to get "the music" in your head is an excellent way to learn - you get the hand motions down and tempo/feel and can work more easily on pedalling etc. etc.. of course you need to add the missing notes back in, but doing an outline of a piece in the beginning stages of learning is certainly not cheating, it's in fact a technique I use all the time.

I believe Chang's book has a whole section dedicated to outlining.

-Paul

#1096480 - 01/11/05 06:12 AM Re: Cheating
mound Offline
500 Post Club Member

oh and TimR is exactly right.. when you do "outline" - use the fingering you'll use for the whole chord.. very important. good point Tim!

-Paul

#1096481 - 01/11/05 11:30 AM Re: Cheating
devils4ever Offline

Loc: northwest NJ
 Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Luke:
Ok-get your mind out of the gutter. This isn't the Coffee Room.

What I'm talking about is this:

I'm learning Scarlatti's Sonata K32 in D minor (my goal for 2005). Several of the LH chords are 4-finger chords. I'm not ready for that yet. While analyzing the piece, I noticed that most of the chords are I, IV, or V7 chords with an extra note thrown in. Since I can handle 3-finger chords in this key (thanks, Alfred's!), I have been dropping the extra note and playing the 3-finger I, IV, or V7 chords.

Now, this is technically not how the composer wrote the piece, so am I cheating if I play the simplified chords? In other words, will I still be able to say that I can play this piece, or would I be lying because I am actually playing some mutated version of my own creation? \:\( [/b]
Jerry Luke,

My take would be you are cheating if it's a classical piece. I think you need to play exactly are written in classical music. OTOH, if it's a pop or jazz piece, then you're definitely not cheating! Play as you wish.

My $0.02.

#1096482 - 01/11/05 12:10 PM Re: Cheating
Phlebas Offline

Loc: New York City
The texture is very sparse in this piece. Any dropped notes will be noticed. In a V7 chord where none of the notes are dubled, for example, which note would you drop - the root, third, fifth, seventh?

#1096483 - 01/11/05 12:16 PM Re: Cheating
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland
I think you'd probably drop the fifth. Can't drop the root, because that names the chord. The third determines whether it's major or minor. And you wouldn't drop the seventh if you want to play a seventh chord. That leaves the fifth as the most "expendable." Does this sound right?

#1096484 - 01/11/05 12:26 PM Re: Cheating
mound Offline
500 Post Club Member

for example, when I learned Chopin's Prelude in Cminor, where you essentially have 4 and 5 (and sometimes 6) note chords in the RH, I memorized the outline of the right hand movement first (only the thumb and pinkie note) - since the LH is basically all 2 notes anyway, that was no issue.. Once I could play the RH completely using only 2 fingers, it was much easier to add the remaining notes in.

but again, just to reiterate, this is a learning/practice tool, you can't just throw the notes away and perform the piece that way, it would sound aweful.

-Paul

#1096485 - 01/11/05 12:31 PM Re: Cheating
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member

And don't be scared of 4-finger chords. They're really not that much harder to learn and play than triads, and they definitely help color the sound of the chord.

#1096486 - 01/11/05 12:48 PM Re: Cheating
Phlebas Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by markb:
I think you'd probably drop the fifth. Can't drop the root, because that names the chord. The third determines whether it's major or minor. And you wouldn't drop the seventh if you want to play a seventh chord. That leaves the fifth as the most "expendable." Does this sound right? [/b]
My point was you can't really drop any of the notes. They are 4 note chords, and don't stretch more than an octave. It's better to learn and play them as written.

#1096487 - 01/11/05 12:52 PM Re: Cheating
Jerry Luke Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Phlebas:
The texture is very sparse in this piece. Any dropped notes will be noticed. In a V7 chord where none of the notes are dubled, for example, which note would you drop - the root, third, fifth, seventh? [/b]
In my Alfred's book 1, it says, "In the V7 chord, the 5th is usually omitted."

#1096488 - 01/11/05 01:04 PM Re: Cheating
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Woo hoo! I was right for a change!

#1096489 - 01/11/05 01:26 PM Re: Cheating
Phlebas Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Luke:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Phlebas:
The texture is very sparse in this piece. Any dropped notes will be noticed. In a V7 chord where none of the notes are dubled, for example, which note would you drop - the root, third, fifth, seventh? [/b]
In my Alfred's book 1, it says, "In the V7 chord, the 5th is usually omitted." [/b]
OK, but Scarlatti, in this case, didn't omit the 5th. He intended those notes to be played for voice leading, and other purposes. The Alfred book is probably referring to triads, where the 5th would have to be left off anyway. Don't get in the habit, as a beginner, of dropping notes. The chords as written are not that hard to play with some practice.

#1096490 - 01/11/05 01:42 PM Re: Cheating
Jerry Luke Offline
500 Post Club Member

Phlebas-

You are right. The Alfred's book was referring to triads. I'm grateful for all the replies suggesting that I not get in the habit of dropping notes. Without a teacher, this is the kind of advice I need to hear. I will ensure that I not admit to anyone that 'I can play' that piece until I can REALLY play that piece. Thank goodness I have 354 more days to learn the chords. \:\)

#1096491 - 01/11/05 01:57 PM Re: Cheating
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Doh! I wasn't right! Although I believe, in general (obviously not in the piece to which you're referring), if you're going to drop a note in a four-note chord, it'll probably be the fifth for the reasons I mentioned above.

Here's a question, though. Are the chords written in notation, or does the piece just name the chords to play? I assume it's the former case. If it's the latter, though, you could use inversions and probably make some very easy chord changes.

#1096492 - 01/11/05 02:05 PM Re: Cheating
Jerry Luke Offline
500 Post Club Member

The chords are written in notation (using squares). Here is a copy of the score:

Scarlatti K32

NOTE: You have to save the file and then open it. You cannot play it directly from the web page.

#1096493 - 01/11/05 02:14 PM Re: Cheating
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Wow, Jerry, you sound really good!

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha
Yamaha
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Baldwin Concertmaster tech needed
by daniokeeper
30 minutes 19 seconds ago
Fair Price for Roland HP-508
by MarkF786
Today at 07:54 PM
Yamaha P22 tuning instability
by beethoven986
Today at 07:25 PM
Intro and a question re: Elton's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road"
by OnlyLivingBoy
Today at 05:09 PM
Are there usually dp sales in holiday in the US
by linghu224
Today at 04:37 PM
Forum Stats
77008 Members
42 Forums
159272 Topics
2339754 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission