2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,863 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ratdart Offline OP
OP Offline
Do you view pieces of music like some people do books? Can't start one without finishing the other? I think I get too excited and start 5 at the same time and pick which one I like the best then work my way down the list. I need to break this habit because I end up fiddling with the other ones when I should focus on one! What about you?

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

I have the same bad habit, ratdart. Well, maybe not QUITE so bad. But I tend to be actively working on learning 2 or 3 pieces at any time.

I don't think it's that bad, actually. Some pieces go better and faster than others, and it's nice to feel like I'm making progress on SOMETHING when I'm stalled on a given piece.

Ratdart Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by Monica Kern:

I don't think it's that bad, actually. Some pieces go better and faster than others, and it's nice to feel like I'm making progress on SOMETHING when I'm stalled on a given piece.
Exactly!! I might get stuck, go to a different piece, and when I go back to my original piece it sometimes just works! Feels good to make a bit of progress once in a while.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm like a kid in a sweet shop - if I see something new, I tend to grab it quick. Most of the time I don't even finish the one I started. My commitment to a single piece is terrible!

Well, I do more than one piece at a time (btw, was this grammatically correct?) but I dont think thats bad. If I have only one piece to practise it can become boring. So I think its good to have more pieces so you dont become bored, but then again not too many - in that case you probably even dont finish them all.

ex - pian00b
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I usually have 2-3 pieces going at a time. one classical, one fake book and one for fun. That gives me some diversity so I don't get board and still can focus on each piece without being scattered. of course there is still technique, theory, scales and chord practice............not a lot of fun, but it's like taking out the trash it has to be done......

Keep a song in your heart!

Frank
--------------------------
It's not who we are that holds us back, it's who we think we're not!
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Okay guys, somebody's got to crash the party so here I come! laugh

Unlike you "normal" people, I learn my music in a totally different fashion. (very weird btw).

I actually can't learn a song in sections- getting back to it at a later time or date.

I MUST get a "feel" for the main melody of the tune and then start playing the song as I hear it in my head..(improvising). I simply choose not to play anything as written as my mind does not work like that.

Once I get the main melody of the song down (usually in a fake-book-ish style of playing), I will re-compose the piece using a kind of indicator sheet or cheat sheet. Since I am usually to lazy to actually re-write the score, many times I will actually deleate most of the notes, (white-out) and just leave the root note per bar in the left hand, and leave a few of the main melody notes in the right. This way I have an extremely easy to read piece of music in front of me (because there is almost nothing on it!!)

When I go and play this newly reformed composition, I just use the root note in the left hand as a guide (just like in a fake book), and I will automatically convert the single right hand notes that I left into it's correct chords/ arpeggios/ whatever sounds good.

Is this method nuts?, maybe, but when I play my music, it is very easy for me to do as I am reading very few notes.

Just think of having a little cheat sheet on your desk while taking an exam... THAT'S what I am doing.! I also lie, steal,loiter, and have even been known to pilfer!

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
I'm another one who usually works on 2 or 3 pieces at a time. I also do some shuffling of pieces from time to time...maybe drop something in favor of something else, only to pick it back up later.

Recently, I picked up Solfeggietto again only because someone here started up a study group thread and I was reminded that I wanted to play this piece. So it's currently one of 3 pieces I'm trying to polish up.

I need to add my recital piece to my current group of pieces in progress (it's a fairly simply piece that I only need to polish).

[Edit: simulposting with Mr SH...,]

It's always extremely interesting to read how different folks play the piano, especially those of us who use more non-traditional methods. The more creative non-traditional folks inspire me to "break the rules" sometimes. This morning, I was actually playing parts of the Croatian Rhapsody staccato where it was not even indicated!!! (gasp)...just because I felt like it. It was liberating and exhilarating. I should do that more often wink .

Jeff
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
i always learn at least 2 or 3 pieces at a time. i found it's less boring and more productive to learn and practice music that way.

Serious music students learn many pieces at the same time. I would imagine a dozen or even more. Not all to the same degree of polished perfection to be sure, but these people must develop a basic familiarity with a breadth of literature. I don't mean this to denigrate anyone here. Heck, I'm certainly not working all that many pieces. But the point is that when you are spending several serious hours per day working at the basic skills of musicianship, once you have achieved a certain level of proficiency you can handle a broad workload and make progress on them all. Variety becomes spice. This is a long way to say ....Signa's right. laugh

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Mr Super Hunky: Once I get the main melody of the song down ....
I've been trying to understand your method Mr S-H...is it truly improv? Maybe you 'decompose then recompose' and memorize your pieces? I am discovering that true improv requires knowledge of scales, chords, keys and inversions, minors, majors diminshed chords, harmonics etc etc all at the same time, this is a wealth of music knowledge gathered over, I suspect many years.

Maybe your method is another monster all together? I would love to hear one of your own compositions, though I suspect we all here glimpses in your interpretations anyway?

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
once you have achieved a certain level of proficiency you can handle a broad workload and make progress on them all. Variety becomes spice. This is a long way to say ....Signa's right. laugh
very true, piano*dad, you just said something i didn't know how to say. thanks!

I'm working on 5 at the moment. But, I didn't start 5 at the same time. I will usually have 1 or 2 that I'm polishing up little spots, 1 or 2 where I'm breaking down sections a little more, and then 1 that I'm trying to get under fingers. Then, everything rotates every couple of weeks. If I had everything new, I'd pull my hair out. If I could play everything, it would be boring.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Stephenc:

You hit the nail 100% on the head Mister. I "de-compose" a piece, then "re-compose" it to my liking, then play it until I ultimately memorize it...(usually). That is exactly it.

I do not take lessons and have absolutely no idea about scales, chords, timing, inversions etc....nothing; I just play!

It's not as crazy as it sounds as I think that it is a much eaier way to learn a tune and lets you "interpret" the piece in your own unique style, as you hear it.

Since I am ultimately going off of a very simple piece of music (my re-composed cheat sheet), It is always very easy to follow along at any time.

It's kind of like sight reading and improvising (or add-libbing) all rolled into one easy to read and understand version.

People have told me that in order for this method to work, you must be able to think outside the box. As totally nuts as this may sound,...rules can actually get in the way! (at least the way I look at it.).

You ask to hear a version of my own interpretation of a song. I can't think of anything better than my final contest version of Jim Brickmans "Lake Eerie Rainfall".

I know you can play this piece as written very well. You see Stephen, I hear a very different version of this song in my head. I don't know if it is better, worse, or just different, but its the only version I hear!! (sounds nuts, but please understand!)

Here is my final version of this song which I entirely re-wrote the left hand the way I now hear it. I was given a great tip by Hobie several months ago and incorperated it into my playing style.

Here it is (never before released!!..woo hoo!)

www.pinnaclepeakllamaranch.com/Lakeeerierainfallcontestwinner.mp3

super-hunky, Lake Erie Rainfall will *always* be my favorite piece of yours. And this latest version is the best of them all. If you don't win that contest, it will be because Life Ain't Always Fair.

p.s. Is this recorded on your Roland or the BB?

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Thanks Monica,

you probably know that posting this song was just another shameless plug by me, but, in actuality, your comments mean a lot to me as this really is a very special piece (at least for me )if you knew all the history behind it.

I really worked very hard at re-learning the entire left hand notes. Most of the stuff I throw out is just a quick whip up of whatever I can come up with, but this song I am probably most proud of.

Thanks.

BTW, Is'nt it after midnight in KY right now!!

P.S, the "BB"

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Posted by Piano*Dad
Serious music students learn many pieces at the same time. I would imagine a dozen or even more.
I feel very serious, I think I work on about 25- 30 pieces, because i get easily bored with the same piece.

Problem is that I will never learn any of them properly frown frown frown

Ragnhild

Trying to play the piano:
http://www.box.net/public/dbr23ll03e
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
I have at least 5 pieces in the works at any given time. Some pieces move ahead faster than others because they have some really complex parts in them that require more work than I may have time for.

One of the things that helps when working on different pieces is to bring them up to a particular sucessful stage, and then put them away before I get bored and trash them. By tucking them away like this, they become future projects that get pushed up to the next higher level, with newer works coming in underneath to be moved on up the ladder. This helps to break the monotony of working on the same things day in and day out.

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
Ratdart Offline OP
OP Offline
Phew. I thought I was the only one that skipped around!

I usually only learn one piece at a time. I can't work on multiple pieces at once because it just gets too frustrating not being able to play any of them decently.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission