Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
90 registered (accordeur, Anita Potter, Almaviva, anotherscott, 36251, 29 invisible), 1415 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1100390 - 09/01/04 02:16 PM Does your teacher expect perfection?
sleepingcats Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
My previous teacher said she worried about me because I never played an entire piece perfectly. I always messed up a note or a dynamic change, or phrase ending. She told me she had other students play perfectly.

I mentioned that to my new teacher who was a bit angry at my previous teacher's attitude because it is negative and ridiculous that everyone should be able to play everything perfectly! \:\(

Of course I play better at home on my own piano, but that doesn't stop me from making a mistake or two! My new teacher tells me to think of each lesson as not a recital, but as a rehearsal, so I can make mistakes - she can then help me with my problem areas. I like that style of teaching better! \:\)

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1100391 - 09/01/04 02:32 PM Re: Does your teacher expect perfection?
Cindysphinx Offline

Loc: Washington D.C. Metro
My teacher seems to measure success by the extent of my progress, not "perfection."

I guess she is unusually humane, because if I'm really struggling with a piece, she will allow me to put it away and come back to it in a few months.

I don't think I'd last with a perfectionist piano teacher, to be honest. I mean, my exercise instructor doesn't insist that I run 5 minute miles, either.

And I can't believe your former teacher compared her students like that! Yuck. Sounds like your new teacher will work out better.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post...QvjrL_blog.html

#1100392 - 09/01/04 03:02 PM Re: Does your teacher expect perfection?
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, WA, USA
Either my teacher is too lax or I'm a phenomenal student compared to his other students. He says I'm doing great, but I don't know if I am or if he just likes to ensure his paycheck continues. :-/

#1100393 - 09/01/04 04:23 PM Re: Does your teacher expect perfection?
Frank R Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Anaheim Hills, CA
Bob,

My teacher tells me the same thing, even though I am rarely satisfied with the way I play in my lesson . I don't think it is just for he reason that you eluded too. You probably have some talent or you are just out working the other students, OR BOTH[/b] . I know in my case I work my ass off. Even if I have some talent it won't do me any good if I don't spend the time at the piano. SO HOW BAD CAN THAT BE \:\) . My teacher is good about mistakes.... no big deal.... we'll just do it again this week and next week and the week after that :rolleyes: . This is the best motivation for me to practice properly. Works ALMOST all of the time.

Sleepingcats,

Sounds like your situation is much improved. Good luck with the new teacher.

Frank
--------------------------
It's not who we are that holds us back, it's who we think we're not!

#1100394 - 09/01/04 04:53 PM Re: Does your teacher expect perfection?
Mikester Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Minneesooota
What's perfect anyway, ya know? I mean if you play the notes 100% correct that can hardly be considered a "perfect" performance; otherwise we wouldn't have people performing, we'd make machine robots to do the job. Every performer makes mistakes.

Here's my thoughts on what a teacher should expect from student.

1) Understand your own strengths and weaknesses.
2) Be able to practice efficiently on your own.
3) Learn to appreciate music and be able to differentiate performances and be able to critique music.
4) Finish pieces before starting new ones. Have patience.
5) Know that having memorized does not equal recital quality. Persevere.

#1100395 - 09/01/04 05:19 PM Re: Does your teacher expect perfection?
sleepingcats Offline
500 Post Club Member

Yes, my teacher goes by progress (as Cindysphinx said), and I agree with you Mikester......

My teacher says that I am way ahead of others if I notice the little things, like:

1) I'm tense and can then relax and play more legato
2) My elbows are sticking out too far to the side unless it's needed for flow
3) My scales or Hanon are not even, but feel and sound syncopated instead, etc.

Just the fact that I am aware of these things without her telling me means a great deal to her, more than playing a piece with no mistakes. I'm happy that I have an understanding teacher (who also has a background in Psychology). Maybe that's why I feel like my lessons are therapeutic! \:\)

#1100396 - 09/01/04 11:52 PM Re: Does your teacher expect perfection?
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Maybe,
I'm just thinking out loud here,

you should be making mistakes because you should be working on challenging material, and as you improve you work on harder material.

BUT, you should be able to go back to something simple and play it flawlessly.

??

#1100397 - 09/02/04 05:42 AM Re: Does your teacher expect perfection?
mikhailoh Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cincinnati
TimR,

VERY good point.. this thread started me thinking back over my lessons as well.

At three years in, I rarely play my current lessons perfectly, but if I come back to them maybe a year later I can normally just whip right thru them with great skill. I think progress is the whole point.

I have sometimes questioned if my teacher (who I think the world of) is tough enough on me. She has, however, been teaching adults for 30 years and I bet she has a great sensitivity for when to be a bit more demanding and when to back off. We adults, after all, don't have anyone making us praactice or keep at lessons.

I can play an arrangement of Claire De Lune perfectly and may submit it for the CD if I can figure out how to record it decently.

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'

#1100398 - 09/02/04 06:30 AM Re: Does your teacher expect perfection?
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, WA, USA
"I can play an arrangement of Claire De Lune perfectly and may submit it for the CD if I can figure out how to record it decently."

I hope so Michael, I'd love to hear it!

#1100399 - 09/02/04 07:56 AM Re: Does your teacher expect perfection?
jdsher Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Plano, Texas
My teacher will sometimes stop me if a make a blatant error, but normally she just listens and encourages me. She has never said I want it perfect, even to my son, who takes lessons from her as well. I personally feel that she doesn't have to make[/b] me play perfect for me to strive for perfection. I am never really satisfied with how I play and I am always trying to pull off that perfect performance.
Jon

#1100400 - 09/02/04 08:39 AM Re: Does your teacher expect perfection?
jazpianizt Offline

#1100401 - 09/02/04 08:44 AM Re: Does your teacher expect perfection?
mikhailoh Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cincinnati
Amen, Jon.

Bob, thanks.. but bear in mind it is an arrangement of it.. a good one, but the real thing, which I have tried, is a wee bit more impossib... er.. I mean difficult..

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'

#1100402 - 09/02/04 10:15 AM Re: Does your teacher expect perfection?
jazpianizt Offline

#1100403 - 09/02/04 05:32 PM Re: Does your teacher expect perfection?
BeeLady Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
What exactly IS perfect? The right notes? The perfect dynamic interpretation... according to who?

My teacher is VERY picky. But the most inspirational critism she gave was "I wouldn't have played it that way, but I wouldn't have changed the way you played it..."

To each, his own...

Life is like a roll of toilet paper...the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!

#1100404 - 09/04/04 03:38 AM Re: Does your teacher expect perfection?
LudwigVanBee Offline

Loc: USA
 Quote:
My previous teacher said she worried about me because I never played an entire piece perfectly. I always messed up a note or a dynamic change, or phrase ending. She told me she had other students play perfectly.
What a horrible thing to say to a student, very demeaning, in my opinion. Teachers can be cruel. I remember many of them growing up in school. I now know that perfectionism is a mental disorder. Such people should be banned from teaching.

#1100405 - 09/06/04 05:52 PM Re: Does your teacher expect perfection?
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I agree with LvB, the way your teacher phrased it is very demeaning. I'd have to say my teacher does expect perfection, but also understands that it's an almost impossible goal to attain. I also think that "perfection" really means being able to play something musically, really getting into the piece and playing it as it was intended by the composer, the period it was composed in, etc. Being note-perfect isn't it.

I think my teacher would rather I play a piece musically and well than be note-perfect. But without a doubt, the goal is perfection.

But I've NEVER been put down for failing to achieve it!

#1100406 - 09/06/04 08:57 PM Re: Does your teacher expect perfection?
sleepingcats Offline
500 Post Club Member

I've really enjoyed everyone's opinions on this subject.....

Quote:
I also think that "perfection" really means being able to play something musically, really getting into the piece and playing it as it was intended by the composer, the period it was composed in, etc. Being note-perfect isn't it.
I agree..... Since I'm not planning on becoming a concert pianist, as long as my teacher and I are happy with my progress, that's the main thing. Also, I do agree with TimR and Mikhailoh that returning to a piece after a break is beneficial because of the progress during the break.

I want to play "correctly", but not to the point where I'm stressing out and not enjoying practicing. \:\) I put too much pressure on myself sometimes, but on the other hand, it's good for me to have something to focus so intently on.

I have played Fur Elise perfectly in my past piano life years ago, but right now I think I have a "complex". Hopefully it'll disappear as I continue to work with my new teacher. \:\) I am[/b] more relaxed with her than my previous one.

#1100407 - 09/06/04 09:08 PM Re: Does your teacher expect perfection?
Frank R Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Anaheim Hills, CA
By TimR

Quote:
you should be making mistakes because you should be working on challenging material, and as you improve you work on harder material.

BUT, you should be able to go back to something simple and play it flawlessly.
My teacher says that there are two levels, your working level and your actual level. Your working level is music that you have to spend a lot of time to learn and your actual level is music you can actually play without any difficulty..... I am paraphrasing here. I am sure at some point with very difficult music that changes a bit. I think he was speaking to beginner and intermediate players more than advanced players who are dealing with very challenging music. Has anyone heard this before? It makes sense to me.

Frank
--------------------------
It's not who we are that holds us back, it's who we think we're not!

#1100408 - 09/07/04 03:44 AM Re: Does your teacher expect perfection?
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Or, maybe the teacher was correct, though a little less than tactful.

Maybe something is interfering with performance, such that the student is not playing as well as they should.

On a simple piece, note perfect should be a given, and musical interpretation should start from that point. If a student has flaws in something that should be well within their abilities, then it makes sense to identify what causes them and try to fix them.

For example, the student always misses the accidentals the first time through the piece. Well, we need to have a strategy to prevent this. It may still happen on a difficult piece, but on an easy one, we should get the accidentals right the first time, not the second. The student always miscounts triplets. Etc., etc.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Making a New York Steinway sound like a Hamburg Steinway
by nphase
4 minutes 54 seconds ago
Merry Christmas from Brazil! Feliz Natal!!
by Piano_Brazil
Today at 09:19 PM
Rzewski: De Profundis
by pianoloverus
Today at 09:17 PM
Guide to skills level
by Gemgem
Today at 08:55 PM
piano with willie
by TonyB
Today at 08:25 PM
Forum Stats
77375 Members
42 Forums
160028 Topics
2349987 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission