Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
136 registered (anamnesis, 36251, accordeur, 41 invisible), 1630 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1100782 - 01/23/09 01:51 PM can anyone recommend a good electric digital piano?
ziggyb Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I am a bass player who is interested in learning keyboard. I have a small budget, and would like to buy an introductory 88-key digital piano to study on. I need to practice quietly with headphones, so a real piano is not an option at the moment. I would like to get some expert opinions on a good model for under $1000. I have played a Radio Shack version of a Casio CDP-100 and really liked it. Weighted keys and good action are important to me, not trendy synthesizer sounds. Something that sounds more or less like the real thing, for very little money. Could you real pianists out there help this humble "low-ender" join the wonderful world of keyboard wizardry? Thanks for your advice!

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1100783 - 01/23/09 02:37 PM Re: can anyone recommend a good electric digital piano?
Agilita Offline

Loc: Missouri
Did you ask this on the digital piano forum? You might get a better response there.

#1100784 - 01/23/09 02:38 PM Re: can anyone recommend a good electric digital piano?
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
Did you take a look at the Digital Forum?

You can read about a ton of digital stuff there...

You should get some good reply's here too...

Don't forget to look at the used digital market. I bought a used Kawai ES4 for $600 on Ebay.

#1100785 - 01/23/09 03:06 PM Re: can anyone recommend a good electric digital piano?
KrisS Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I was told - entry level - Yamaha P85 or Casio PX 120.

I got the Casio PX 120 at Best Buy (Online) included Keyboard, Stand, and Foot Pedals.

#1100786 - 01/23/09 03:49 PM Re: can anyone recommend a good electric digital piano?
crusadar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Middle England
I can recommend the Kawai CL25 as the best entry level piano I recently tried out on a hunt the perfect DP expedition.

#1100787 - 01/23/09 03:57 PM Re: can anyone recommend a good electric digital piano?
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
CDP100 is as old as Casio PX100, 3 generations before. now, there's a new replacement CDP200 coming out (not currently in US market yet, but Europe and Au). if i were you, i wouldn't bother with it and would get a much newer and better PX120/320 instead or get Yamaha P85.

#1100788 - 01/23/09 04:05 PM Re: can anyone recommend a good electric digital piano?
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C)
Ziggy,

something like a yamaha ydp-140 is going to be in your price range and is unlikely to disappoint.
I'd take a trip to Guitar Center or Best Buy (they recently added a decent music section) and try those keyboards in your price range.
Bring your own set of headphones to the shop.

These are not low-ender keyboards by any means, imho.

Carefully consider the set of features you want. As a bass player, I'd imagine you're interested in more than classical (?). If so, features where you can plug in usb keys with your own midi files, accompaniment where you can plug in your own changes are great features to have. The YPG 635 is a neat keyboard to consider, under $800, if you're interested in such things.

Take care.

#1100789 - 01/23/09 04:23 PM Re: can anyone recommend a good electric digital piano?
Paul2playpiano Offline

Loc: St. Louis
About 1.5 years ago I got the Yamaha P-70 for about $600 and have been very happy with it. I think they now have a newer model and maybe the prices have come down. About 6 months ago I got a Baldwin baby grand that is great, but I still use the Yamaha when I need to play quietly.

#1100790 - 01/23/09 04:28 PM Re: can anyone recommend a good electric digital piano?
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay area
don't forget to allow in your budget for a decent pair of headphones. They can cost around $100 (some more, some less.) (You can do a search on headphones in the forums.)

#1100791 - 01/23/09 04:35 PM Re: can anyone recommend a good electric digital piano?
Music Major Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
 Quote:
Originally posted by ziggyb:
on a good model for under $1000 ... Something that sounds more or less like the real thing, for very little money. Could you real pianists out there help... [/b]
Don't know if you are willing to traval to TampaBay area, but this listing is a great board for $950

Keyboard- Yamaha S90 - $950 (St. Petersburg)

I have no connection with this listing, except that I do own an S90 and it's a really great keyboard!

Yamaha S90 --------------- SS-69 Grand
The most important thing in music is what is not in the notes.

#1100792 - 01/23/09 05:15 PM Re: can anyone recommend a good electric digital piano?
crusadar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Middle England
The Casio Keys are still like the ones on toy pianos, plastic and wobbly, I'm sorry if I offend any Casio aficionado's but if we are advising newcomers to the piano world, or the digital piano world, we have to stop saying Casio is best on a budget. As an owner of both Roland and Korg DPs I have to say that the best entry level piano I recently tried was the Kawai CL25, a quality piano, it knocked similarly priced Roland and Yamaha DP's into bits, and not much more expensive than a Casio, they're selling in the UK for around £600.

#1100793 - 01/23/09 05:52 PM Re: can anyone recommend a good electric digital piano?
rvillate Offline

Loc: Bogota, Colombia
The Casio Privias are excellent for beginners and advanced alike. I own a PX200 and am very happy with it. It has MIDI, USB, excellent heavy keys and touch, very good grand piano sound (plus many other voices) and comfortable price.

#1100794 - 01/23/09 09:00 PM Re: can anyone recommend a good electric digital piano?
Starting Over Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
I have a Kawai ES4 which I use for late night and early morning practice and to take with me to the cottage. It's a bit more than your budget but it has a good weighted keyboard and has a good touch. Yeah, it sounds like a digital but they all do. You can't have everything. \:D

#1100795 - 01/24/09 02:28 AM Re: can anyone recommend a good electric digital piano?
al_spinner Offline

Loc: San Francisco
I can recommend the Casio CDP-100, especially for the action (which is probably one of the heaviest I've tried on a digital). I bought it used for $300 and found it great for late-night practicing. It is also easy to carry around (weighs only about 25 lbs).

I have tried the more expensive Casio Privias and some Yamahas and Rolands that cost up to $2000 or so, and IMHO, their sound/feel just didn't justify the much-higher prices.

Your best bet would be to try as many digital pianos at the music store that fits within your budget as you can and then go from there. Everyone has different tastes. Some people like a heavier action and some a lighter action. One piano voice might be pleasing to you but not to another person...etc.

#1100796 - 01/25/09 10:05 PM Re: can anyone recommend a good electric digital piano?
musiclady Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Look on the classifieds, especially craigslist. I've often spotted good digital pianos for under $1000, though I know the Adagio digital piano sells for abut $800 new and I actually liked it a lot. Though one of my student's families has a really nice digital, a Kohler I think, they paid $1200 for it, normally t was $2500. I like playing it too, and I found it responds very well even with late intermediate/early advanced pieces.

Meri

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Whip those springs into shape
by A454.7
11/26/14 06:29 PM
New Yamaha CLP-545 or used CLP-270/280 ???
by Panpiano
11/26/14 06:28 PM
Wanted to say hi
by patty5sewing
11/26/14 05:43 PM
Price of Knabe WMV-121?
by blackjack1777
11/26/14 04:36 PM
Audiobox USB vs Audiobox 22VSL
by mitzysman
11/26/14 04:33 PM
Forum Stats
77053 Members
42 Forums
159381 Topics
2341209 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission