Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1101102 - 11/15/04 04:50 PM What genre of music are these?
Jerry Luke Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Tillamook, Oregon
I've taken a recent interest in learning classical pieces. (Right now, I can only listen to them.) Can anyone tell me if these are Romantic, Baroque, etc, or what classification of classical music they belong to?

Moonlight Sonata - Beethoven
Fur Elise - Beethoven
Nocturne Op 9-2 - Chopin
Canon in D - Pachelbel

Thanks!

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1101103 - 11/15/04 06:57 PM Re: What genre of music are these?
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Typically you would classify based on when the composer was writing them. Beethoven is an interesting case since he can be viewed as a bridge from classical to romantic. Technically he'd be a classical composer, but it doesn't seem right to call all his compositions "classical." With that in mind, I'd classify as follows:

Moonlight Sonata - Beethoven - early Romantic
Fur Elise - Beethoven - Classical
Nocturne Op 9-2 - Chopin - definitely Romantic
Canon in D - Pachelbel - Baroque

#1101104 - 11/15/04 07:10 PM Re: What genre of music are these?
WCSMinorCircuit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
alot of people would argue the romanticism of moonlight sonata. oh, confusing beethoven...

#1101105 - 11/15/04 08:15 PM Re: What genre of music are these?
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
all Beethoven's music are considered as Classical, whether or not it contains or has romantic nature. the point is that Beethoven, although original and creative and inventive in his own way, he never abandoned classical music forms and foundation, such as sonata forms. he is master of forms actually, which means he could develop a huge symphony or sonata based on only some small motifs. while Romantic composers, such as Chopin, write music only loosely based on or following any form structure. Chopin's sonatas are just like that, structurally not very uniformed with the movements, while in any of Beethoven's sonatas, each movement leads to another logically or emotionally, just as Moonlight sonata.

#1101106 - 11/15/04 10:56 PM Re: What genre of music are these?
DuCamp Offline

Loc: Mexico City
I'd like to add that some people (myself included) instead of referring to this music in general as classical, they call it academic. Classical is a period of academic music, so it might be inapropriate to refer to some of these pieces as "classical."
In the end it's excellent music and you can appreciate its greatness no matter what you call it.

#1101107 - 11/16/04 06:06 AM Re: What genre of music are these?
Jerry Luke Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Tillamook, Oregon
All-

Thanks for the great replies! Thanks, especially, Nina for taking a stab at classifying the pieces. I had no idea that the labels referred to periods as opposed to style. I have found that some classical music is boring and annoying to me, while others are beautiful and very moving. I just figured that if the pieces I enjoyed al belonged to a single group, that would make investigating new pieces that much easier.

#1101108 - 11/16/04 07:19 AM Re: What genre of music are these?
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by signa:
all Beethoven's music are considered as Classical, whether or not it contains or has romantic nature. the point is that Beethoven, although original and creative and inventive in his own way, he never abandoned classical music forms and foundation, such as sonata forms. he is master of forms actually, which means he could develop a huge symphony or sonata based on only some small motifs. while Romantic composers, such as Chopin, write music only loosely based on or following any form structure. Chopin's sonatas are just like that, structurally not very uniformed with the movements, while in any of Beethoven's sonatas, each movement leads to another logically or emotionally, just as Moonlight sonata. [/b]
Yep, you're right (which is why I said technically LvB would be classical), but it always seems a bit inappropriate to lump him in with the other strictly "classical" composers. There were Romantic period composers who nonetheless followed classical structure in their composing, for example. Beethoven is always a bit grey for me. His early stuff is clearly classical, but his late works are so different...

#1101109 - 11/16/04 10:27 AM Re: What genre of music are these?
Vintagefingers Offline

Loc: SE
Yes Nina, especially consider Brahms, a late Romantic era composer whose compositional style is deeply rooted in the Classical era.

#1101110 - 11/16/04 10:33 AM Re: What genre of music are these?
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Nina, you are right. the only argument i want to make is that moonlight sonata was written in Beethoven's middle period, not even among his late works (such as the last 5 piano sonatas or quartets or symphony no.9), which should fall into Classical anyway but not Romantic at all.

#1101111 - 11/16/04 11:09 AM Re: What genre of music are these?
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, WA, USA
What is considered to be the first "Romantic" piece?

#1101112 - 11/16/04 11:17 AM Re: What genre of music are these?
F. Chopin Offline

Loc: England
I seriously doubt there is one; there's enough debate on where to set the "Romantic Era" start line, if it's a good idea to set one at all, let alone an individual piece.

#1101113 - 11/16/04 11:56 AM Re: What genre of music are these?
Vintagefingers Offline

Loc: SE
Beethoven is considered by most to be the transitional composer from Classical to Romantic era even though many that followed him were strictly classical in form and style i.e. Schubert, Mendelsohn.

So far as a definitive piece of early romantic era music, how about his 5th Symphony? This work was greatly influenced by the French Revolution and the point of change in the political, social and artistic arena of Western Europe. It could be argued endlessly that while this piece may be classical in structure and form is decidely romantic in musical content. When viewed in its totality, is there a more romantic piece in musical literature covering such a broad range of emotion?

#1101114 - 11/16/04 12:20 PM Re: What genre of music are these?
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by signa:
Nina, you are right. the only argument i want to make is that moonlight sonata was written in Beethoven's middle period, not even among his late works (such as the last 5 piano sonatas or quartets or symphony no.9), which should fall into Classical anyway but not Romantic at all. [/b]
Makes sense to me! \:\)

#1101115 - 11/16/04 12:22 PM Re: What genre of music are these?
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

ok, i guess a lot of things said here are debatable and maybe there is no definite answer regarding to Beethoven. but i prefer not to think Beethoven even remotely as a Romantic composer. the tragic about Romantic composers, at least to me, are the excessiveness in their music expressions, while Beethoven never was in this sense. i got bored listening to many Romantic composers' music, such as Mahler's symphonies, Brahms's piano solos/sonatas, etc., and yet Beethoven never cease to amaze me with any genre of his music...

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
138 registered (ando, accordeur, AEMontoya, 255, 37 invisible), 1439 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76006 Members
42 Forums
157160 Topics
2308203 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
My P155 died. Need a cheaper alternative.
by Lynsey
08/30/14 01:35 PM
September Piano Bar
by ladypayne
08/30/14 12:14 PM
Scarlatti Sonata K380 Emaj -- How Difficult?
by ClsscLib
08/30/14 11:14 AM
High pitched sound from Yamaha Clavinova PF P-100
by Shiverca
08/30/14 10:43 AM
Rusty strings- a silly question?
by PhilipInChina
08/30/14 08:59 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission