Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1102541 - 01/08/09 05:22 PM beginner books, which one?
iroh Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
i am considering getting a book to learn how to play piano, which book out of the two is better? does anyone have any experience with them?

I will also take suggestions for other books. as for my level, i am a complete newbie, never played an musical instrument in my life.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1102542 - 01/08/09 11:15 PM Re: beginner books, which one?
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
I've had both from the library. The Piano Handbook is a nice big glossy book, full of interesting information, but I don't think it would be a good book to start with as your only how-to-play book. It gives lessons that move very quickly, and would be more appropriate for someone who used to play pretty well but needs a refresher course.

How to Play Popular Piano assumes you know nothing, and teaches you how to play chords and melodies from a "fake book", which is a big tune book with only chords and melodies (as opposed to full piano arrangements). But that only lets you learn tunes you already know, since you don't know how to read music to learn the melodies of new tunes. Still, this book would at least get you kind of started... but...

Why not start with Alfred\'s Adult All-in-One , like so many people do? Then you could get encouragement from others on the monster-huge Alfred's threads. Plus it starts from the very beginning and teaches you how to read music, find notes on the keyboard, make chords, etc. It's seems designed for someone who's teaching themself how to play.

[edited to add URL]

neglected piano blog

#1102543 - 01/08/09 11:38 PM Re: beginner books, which one?
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
 Quote:
Originally posted by tangleweeds:

Why not start with Alfred\'s Adult All-in-One , like so many people do? Then you could get encouragement from others on the monster-huge Alfred's threads. Plus it starts from the very beginning and teaches you how to read music, find notes on the keyboard, make chords, etc. It's seems designed for someone who's teaching themself how to play.

[edited to add URL] [/b]

I started from scratch without any previous knowledge of musical instrument or any note reading skills as well, and the Alfred's method book, level 1 has helped jump started me quite well, I believe.

Good luck to you which ever method books you decided to go with.

Key Notes \:\)

#1102544 - 01/09/09 05:54 AM Re: beginner books, which one?
activemind Offline

Loc: Mississauga
I am new to the forum and this is my very first post. I too am totally new to piano and also new to reading notes etc. So I should start with the Afred's Adult All-in-one? How long does it normally takes before you could actually play something? Just out of curiosity to see whether I could even attempt; I'm kind of afraid to.

Thanks.

#1102545 - 01/09/09 08:10 AM Re: beginner books, which one?
Debbie57 Offline

Loc: Kansas
activemind,

I don't know which book you should start with but it is fun if you have a music store or two near you to look at the various books. As a kid I learned out of John Thompson, 40 years later I started over with Faber and Faber. Alfred's does have a big following here with threads devoted to the book which could be a huge bonus.

Don't be afraid to. If you really are, or it seems overwhelming, see if you can find a teacher who can get you going. You'll be able to play something very quickly. It's unlikely it's what you will actually want to play:) or rather, it won't have all the sounds and tones you think it should have. However, it's a process. Baby steps. A very rewarding and fun journey.

#1102546 - 01/09/09 11:02 AM Re: beginner books, which one?
wj3 Offline

Loc: Salem, Or/Las Vegas, Nv
I started with Alfreds Adult AIO. With not much prior music experience. I played trombone in junior hi but that was 45 years ago. (Iam 62). Alfreds starts you off at the very beginning which was a good fit for me.

I have both of Carl Humphries books and they very fast moving for a beginner.

2010 Roland KR-115m, Yamaha clp-430
Working on Alfred Adult AIO 3 Super Special sorta song,Simply Joplin Bethena,Solace,Burgmuller

#1102547 - 01/09/09 01:02 PM Re: beginner books, which one?
iroh Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tangleweeds:
I've had both from the library. The Piano Handbook is a nice big glossy book, full of interesting information, but I don't think it would be a good book to start with as your only how-to-play book. It gives lessons that move very quickly, and would be more appropriate for someone who used to play pretty well but needs a refresher course.

How to Play Popular Piano assumes you know nothing, and teaches you how to play chords and melodies from a "fake book", which is a big tune book with only chords and melodies (as opposed to full piano arrangements). But that only lets you learn tunes you already know, since you don't know how to read music to learn the melodies of new tunes. Still, this book would at least get you kind of started... but...

[edited to add URL] [/b]
I take it you mean these three books?

http://www.amazon.ca/Alfreds-Basic-Adult...31521259&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.ca/Alfreds-Basic-Adult...31521259&sr=1-2
http://www.amazon.ca/Alfreds-Basic-Adult...31521259&sr=1-3

So there are 3 in total? or more? how many years would this take a person who practices an X amount of hours each day?

do most piano stores carry these books? do you think if i buy a $1000 digital piano (i was thinking of the yamaha p140 or it's successor) the piano store will throw these in for free (could buy the set from the amazon site and free shipping for about $30 CAD after discount, so is ~$30 CAD too much to ask?)

#1102548 - 01/09/09 01:14 PM Re: beginner books, which one?
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
That's it! If you can get all three for $30 with free shipping (and if you plan on staying with the books through all three) it is worth it.

I only bought the first book and I've been in it for almost a year. I will buy the second one when I get a little closer to the end. I'm so slow that it's going to take forever to get to the third one.

Most people seem to take a year or a little less for each level, and there are a few who flew through them in a few months each. It all depends, I guess, on talent, previous music experience, and how much you practice.

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#1102549 - 01/09/09 01:49 PM Re: beginner books, which one?
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
http://www.amazon.com/Adult-All-One-Cour...1526721&sr=1-19

My understanding is that the All-in-One books have the theory and technique stuff included, whereas the the Basic Adult Piano Course books require you to buy the theory book separately (and maybe other stuff too?). They all have the same tunes, though.

Both series have 3 volumes. I don't see any reason to buy more than one volume at a time unless you get a deal on buying them together.

I can't find the version of the All-in-One course that comes with a CD on Amazon, though. That's why I originally linked through Sheet Music Plus, who I've had very fast and positive experiences with.

neglected piano blog

#1102550 - 01/09/09 04:05 PM Re: beginner books, which one?
KrisS Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Yeah, don't make the mistake I did and buy the all in one thinking you need the theory one too.

I got my all in in off of amazon... it's ISBN is

0-88284-931-X

http://www.amazon.com/Adult-All-One-Cour...1535086&sr=11-1

#1102551 - 01/11/09 08:20 PM Re: beginner books, which one?
iroh Offline

so i take it the alfred series books is the best thing for a beginner? (considering that there is a 62 page thread here for the first book)

so i assume all 3 books in the series are good? or just the first 1 or 2?

any other books by authors that would go well supplementing these books or by reading on the side?

#1102552 - 01/11/09 08:33 PM Re: beginner books, which one?
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Center City, MN
Most people don't stick to a single book or source of material to learn from. I made it a good way into Alfred's Book One, played some from the Faber's Adult Book One and then ended up leaning some of Einadi's pieces. My goal was to play some of his work, so once I saw that I could play some of them it has been hard to get back to actual lesson books. Things might be different if I was going the classical route or had a teacher though. \:\)

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sax to piano
by JazzMD
29 minutes 28 seconds ago
Still having problems with my Kawai ES7
by musicman100
49 minutes 22 seconds ago
ABF Recital FAQ and Guidelines
by wimpiano
Today at 10:03 AM
Did Bach’s wife write his finest works?
by CarlosCC
Today at 09:24 AM
Szanto Bach Prelude Fugue A minor
by bkthugs10214
Today at 09:13 AM
Who's Online
145 registered (Alexander Borro, ando, Alan_Dublin, ajames, Alan T., 43 invisible), 1574 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76702 Members
42 Forums
158617 Topics
2329511 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission