2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 1,775 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
IngridT Offline OP
OP Offline
When playing an actual piece I have the feeling I can do this fairly well, but now I have to study it very specifically with a short etude. First half the melody is in the right hand, and then moving to the left hand. The melody (of couse) should be louder then the other part. To complicate matters it is als shifting from staccato to legato (so left hand has to play eg loud staccato, and right soft legato or loud legato with a soft staccato in the other hand etcetera)

It drives me CRAZY!!

Any tips???

Ingrid

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The best tip I have for this kind of situation is to play your right hand legato (let's say two phrases)

So play the right hand once thorough.
Then as you focus on playing the right and part add one note (with the correct dynamic) in the left hand, without allowing it to disrupt your right hand, which will go on for the whole two measures.

When you can do this fairly well, use the same principle and add a second note in the left hand.
Again, make sure it is the right dynamic and that it doesn't bother your right hand. Keep practicing until the left hand notes don't mess with your right hand smoothness and control.

Then add a third note in the left hand.
As you progress with more notes, you will see that the work gets easier and easier.

You will reach a point were the whole left hand combines with the right hand remaining individual in its flow and dynamic and without disrupting the right hand.

Now that you're reached this point, repeat the same process with the left hand going smoothly and the right hand adding notes (with the correct dynamic) without disrupting the left hand smoothness. Chances are, this phase will be a lot easier and faster than the first time.

X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
Practice each hands dynamics separately to make sure you have the dynamics in each hand down really well and the practice the piece very slowly focusing on what you need to do with each note to give it the proper feel. This can be a pretty hard technique to get down...it took me awhile in my first piece where I had to play like that.
It shouldn't take long when you practice hands separate, but just make sure you go slow when you practice hands together the first few times.

Chopin: Nocturne No. 15 in Fm. Op. 55 no.1.
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Ooh - I've been having some trouble with this lately, thanks for the tip Danny - I'll have to give it a try!

Much more practical than my teacher's helpful advice of "it's like you have one hand in warm water, and one in cold water" - *huh?* - I'm still not sure exactly how to process that one wink

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by saerra:
Much more practical than my teacher's helpful advice of "it's like you have one hand in warm water, and one in cold water" - *huh?* - I'm still not sure exactly how to process that one wink
I like it! You should do it with your ears though. Once you hear the tune soaring above the accompaniment you won't go back.

IngridT Offline OP
OP Offline
Hmm. I don't know about the warm and cold water, but I'll think of it while trying the other approaches mentioned. I think I'll go with the one-note-at-a-time first and see where it gets me. I confessed to my piano teachter that I threw my etude book in a corner and need another week for this one, so I'll really have to tackle it now! (6 days to go. LOL)

Thanks,

Ingrid

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Another tip, try to play one hand so softly that it is not making any noise. Then gradually increase the volume on that hand.

Rich

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
C
C
I usually work on the fingering of the "soft" hand without actually pressing the keys down and play the lead notes with the regular volume and dynamics. Playing both hands at different volumes can be tricky!

Pianist and mom to three awesome kids (and budding musicians).
Always, always we get mechanical suggestions and mostly good ones, but it's about hearing the effect. The OP has obviously never heard it. How can you hear something (so that you can play it) when you've never heard it before?

IngridT Offline OP
OP Offline
Keyboardklutz,

I know exactly how it should sound. How I want it to sound. But (at least for me) that doesn't automatically mean that it sounds that way when I play it. That's the frustrating part. So I guess I need some 'technical' trick to help me disconnect both hands volume-wise. But if you know mental trick that might help, I'm all ears. Do you mean something like the warm/cold water approach? (I still need to try...) Or something else?

Ingrid (and what's the OP? Is that me? I'm pretty new on this forum, and a non-native english speaker, so probably missing out on some abbreviatons or other things)

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Ingrid,

(OP just means 'Original Poster', the person who started the thread with the first post)

Originally posted by IngridT:
Keyboardklutz,

I know exactly how it should sound. How I want it to sound. But (at least for me) that doesn't automatically mean that it sounds that way when I play it.
Sorry to get abstruse here but if you haven't played it you can't know what it sounds like. Is imagining eating pickled herrings on toast eating pickled herrings on toast? My favorite mechanical approach is playing one hand as loud as possible and the other soft as possible. Also realize the physics mean that the loud hand will play a little bit before the soft.

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally posted by keyboardklutz:
Also realize the physics mean that the loud hand will play a little bit before the soft.
But the result for experienced players, when they split the hands (one coming in sooner) is usually soft first, loud later. They anticipate early with the hand that plays softer.

IngridT Offline OP
OP Offline
Hmm. Keyboardklutz. To taste something you actually need to eat it yourself, but to hear something you don't actually have to play it yourself. In this case my teacher played it for me live during lesson, and I've got it on a home-made CD which she provides her students with as a back up help for study.

I'm still curious what non-mechanical tips and tricks you might have though...

Ingrid

PS...and thanks Eeaun for the OP explanation. If I make any other weird beginners mistakes that I do'n even realize I am making...pls let me know & enlighten me where appropriate!

I'm afraid not. To hear it you've got to play it. Maybe this'll help? http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/27/2634.html Don't know any other non-mechanical tips.

IngridT Offline OP
OP Offline
Ha, Klutz. I'll think about it. But I played it myself as well, and what I hear when *I* play it is not what I want to hear. That's pretty good already, I guess. Step one. Now, step two is how to get it to sound more like what I want to hear (which I also have a pretty good idea of, with my teacher and the CD recording) And that's where I am struggling.

Ingrid

But I played it myself as well, and what I hear when *I* play it is not what I want to hear. That's pretty good already, I guess. Step one.
Hate to be obstreperous but that's step 0. No wonder it drives you crazy!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by keyboardklutz:
[b] Keyboardklutz,

I know exactly how it should sound. How I want it to sound. But (at least for me) that doesn't automatically mean that it sounds that way when I play it.
Sorry to get abstruse here but if you haven't played it you can't know what it sounds like. Is imagining eating pickled herrings on toast eating pickled herrings on toast? My favorite mechanical approach is playing one hand as loud as possible and the other soft as possible. Also realize the physics mean that the loud hand will play a little bit before the soft. [/b]
You're right, but the two methods chase each other in circles. How can you play one hand as loud as possible and the other as soft as possible, if you just can't yet individualize the dynamics of the two hands. You must start somewhere and you can't do what you can't do.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
This is one area where a digital piano can be beneficial. Split the keyboard, and turn the volume of one hand down to either zero or near zero, and it will help you focus your attention on the other hand.

ps...I am not against Acoustic pianos...I own a beautiful one.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
We're talking about a skill here. The skill must be mastered, to some extent, in order to be applied.

One hand (or one note in one hand) against another in the other hand, soft against loud, id not always possible at first. Many people have to play alternating hands first, then try to gradually get the hands together, in steps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission