Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
116 registered (Anita Potter, 36251, accordeur, Auver, ando, 32 invisible), 1532 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1103918 - 11/07/08 12:10 AM piano lessons in Durham/Chapel Hill
Just Love Piano Offline

Loc: Durham
I just moved from Kentucky to North Carolina for several months. The first thing besides finding an apartment is to find a piano teacher for myself. Though I studied piano lessons for one year and now can play some Clementi Sonatina, I still define myself a beginner when I communicate with local teachers. To my disappointment, most teachers whose name can be googled and are not willing to take beginners like me, especially those coming from academy. Given my experience with previous teacher, who is department chair of music school and an established pianist and with several students win in international competition, I feel very confused. My previous teacher claimed that he would rather teach a student from scratch and that's what he did to me...We began with reading CDEFGAB and middle C on the keyboard...
Another unacceptable thing is the price. Teachers here are easily charging like $80-100/hr with no negotiation. My previous teacher charged only $50/hr. If performing activities/teaching experience can be calculated, based on my previous teacher, I expect local teachers should charge below 50/hrs.
If you are encountered with similar embarrassment, please join my discussion and let's talk about it. Or if you have information of decent piano teachers in the triangle area, please don't hesitate let me know.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1103919 - 11/07/08 12:17 PM Re: piano lessons in Durham/Chapel Hill
Gyro Offline
4000 Post Club Member

The piano teaching system is essentially
set up to teach children from about age
7 to 17. After 17, those with enough talent
would be expected to continue on in college
as piano majors. Those who don't are
typically not encouraged to continue with
lessons, as they are now adults, and
their presence among the children would
be awkward from then on.

Thus, adults students do not fit easily into the
instructional system. Many teachers won't
take them, and so adults often end up
in group lessons at community colleges
or with high-priced university instructors.

But in a town like Chapel Hill there must
be hundreds of piano teachers. Simply go through
the phone book until you find one who
takes adults.

#1103920 - 11/07/08 01:32 PM Re: piano lessons in Durham/Chapel Hill
Ken S. Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Welcome to the "Triangle" (Durham, Raleigh, Chapel Hill). There are teachers here for adult learners of all abilities. My experience is limited, but I would be surprised to find that the average rates in this area are $80 to $100 per hour. I'm guessing more like $50 to $60.

You could ask at the music departments of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Duke University or Meredith College (Raleigh). I also have seen a number of craigslist ads. You also may wish to try to the local music teachers associations. Durham's has a referral website:

http://www.durhammusicteachers.com/

Good luck finding someone with whom you fit.

#1103921 - 11/07/08 02:16 PM Re: piano lessons in Durham/Chapel Hill
Sal_ Offline

Loc: Lacey, WA
That surprises me, too. I took lessons from a woman in Cary for $10/hour about 10 years ago. I understand inflation, but not that much. (To be fair, while she was a fine pianist, know that I know more, I wish I'd have switched teachers rather than quit.)

Maybe they ask high prices because of RTP and all the "rich folks?"

I'm sorry this doesn't help. You might try the local papers, including the independent ones.

#1103922 - 11/07/08 02:42 PM Re: piano lessons in Durham/Chapel Hill
Just Love Piano Offline

Loc: Durham
Thank you guys. I would not go further about the price, b/c each piano teacher has his own standards of marketing. What frustrates me most is I can't find a piano teacher who would take adult student and charge a fair price.

If the piano teaching system is trying to produce elites only instead of educate the common population, I would feel very sorry for that. Adult students should have equal right to be trained as patiently as what is done to children. I don't like to learn something in a big class room without detailed personal instruction.

Thank you, Ken S. Your website is very helpful.

#1103923 - 11/07/08 05:30 PM Re: piano lessons in Durham/Chapel Hill
Ivory Dreams Offline

Loc: Central NC
Mingqing Cai,
First of all....Welcome to North Carolina! I'm a life long resident. I can't seem to make up my mind which end of the state to call home. I guess it is all good!

THOSE FOLKS IN CHAPEL HILL ARE SPECIAL. If they smell money and they can get it, they will charge it. It doesn't matter if it is piano lessons or house cleaning. You'll really learn something if you need a plumber or an electrician.

If you drive...Please take a moment to consider driving down to Pittsboro for your lessons. (15-20 minutes south by car from Chapel Hill). There is a wonderful piano teacher there named Liz Tedesco. She is a treasure, she does private lessons in her home, Her lessons previously were around $25/hr. She possibly has increased her rate, (hasn't everyone?) but I believe you will find her fee reasonable.

If she has an opening, she will evaluate where you are and begin there. The majority of her students are adults.

She is a hugely talented pianist, and a gifted piano teacher. If you are interested in learning pop, clasical, music theory.... or just playing the music that "you" like to listen to, you need to call her.

Forgive me if I sound like an advertisement, I took lessons from her and I never miss an opportunity to sing her praises.

A FEW WORDS OF CAUTION..... She gives lessons on an awesome baby grand. This instrument is seriously adictive.... It has a rich tone, and a great touch.

Her number is 919-542-2890.

You can own a Chickering, Christifori, or Steinway, but if you can't play it.... It is just a piece of eye candy.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How to learn everything and anything about piano?
by MrMusicianship
12/22/14 07:22 PM
is my piano tunable
by d3c0
12/22/14 05:45 PM
SSHD running VST
by daz100
12/22/14 05:01 PM
do you recommend further service?
by ShannonG
12/22/14 04:34 PM
Is this now real enough?
by Philip_Johnston
12/22/14 04:21 PM
Forum Stats
77398 Members
42 Forums
160066 Topics
2350626 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission