Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
142 registered (AndyP, accordeur, AndreiN, 36251, Alegretto, 47 invisible), 1598 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1104837 - 12/28/04 05:31 PM Belated Introduction
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: not in Japan anymore
Hello. I have been lurking for awhile, and didn't think I'd be posting much so I didn't introduce myself. But this forum is so fun and I've found myself posting a lot, so I thought I would take the liberty of introducing myself.

I started playing piano just over 6 years ago. I played clarinet, classical and rock guitar and other instruments over the years, but had always wanted to play piano. Also, after I got married I got back into classical guitar but after a certain level, I was never really able to progress. I wanted a piano, and my husband, seeing me flounder at guitar, said "if you don't play it, it will end up just being like a huge piece of garbage in the house that we have to dust under." I promised I'd practice (felt like a 12 year old! :rolleyes: and we went piano shopping. Now he can't tear me away from the keyboard and calls me a piano-addict.

This forum is really great, and everyone seems so friendly. It looks like I can learn a lot from everyone here, and maybe sometimes I'll have something helpful to contribute. Thanks for reading! \:D

P.S. ShiroKuro is Japanese for "white and black," as in the colors of a piano keyboard of course. \:\)

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1104838 - 12/28/04 05:53 PM Re: Belated Introduction
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, WA, USA
Welcome! Yes, we're a friendly lot. Adult beginners don't usually have the same ego that goes along with the professionals. ;\)

#1104839 - 12/28/04 09:30 PM Re: Belated Introduction
SusieQ Offline

Loc: Bellevue, Washington
Welcome - I look forward to seeing more posts from you - I am a newbie also.

#1104840 - 12/29/04 03:19 AM Re: Belated Introduction
mikhailoh Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cincinnati
Hi Shirokuro.. and SusieQ too!

Welcome to both of you.. this is the nicest of the rooms, I assure you. And i have foud it invaluable in my journey to beig a pianist.

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'

#1104841 - 12/29/04 04:03 AM Re: Belated Introduction
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland
 Quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:

P.S. ShiroKuro is Japanese for "white and black," as in the colors of a piano keyboard of course. \:\) [/b]
Welcome, and I love your screen name. It sounds so much better than something like ebony and ivory, which reminds me of a Paul McCartney/Michael Jackson song.

#1104842 - 12/29/04 10:42 PM Re: Belated Introduction
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Thank you markb, and everyone!

#1104843 - 12/30/04 10:25 AM Re: Belated Introduction
jdsher Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Plano, Texas
Welcome ShiroKuro! If you've already been playing for 6 years I think YOU[/b] should be answering our questions most of the time. I'm curious, have you studied with the same teacher the entire time? Also, what pieces are you playing right now?
Jon

#1104844 - 12/30/04 05:50 PM Re: Belated Introduction
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

jdsher, thank you for the vote of confidence! If there's one thing I might talk about with confidence, it would be how to start as an adult and not give up, how to take yourself seriously as a budding (as oppossed to wilting) pianist etc.

Since I didn't start piano until age 30 (oh, now you know how old I am I still consider myself an adult beginner. I find that, in terms of my "piano needs" and what I struggle with etc, I don't have much in common with people who've played piano since they were kids.

When I first started, we lived out in the country and there wasn't anyone to teach me close by, so I practiced on my own for maybe 4 months. I taught myself the bass clef (already knew treble) and then worked through a very easy songbook so I could play a simple song or two.

Then we moved (thank goodness) and I looked for a teacher right away. I called around and asked lots of questions on the phone, had a trial lesson with someone who was awful, finally met my teacher and I have been taking lessons from her ever since.

Right now I am playing George Winston's Variations on Pachelbel's Canon (do you know it? I find it much more challenging than the standard arrangements. I've been working on it for months) Also since Christmas is over, I just started 2 new pieces, short songs by the Japanese composer Joe Hisaishi.

For Christmas this year I worked up a full set (by my definition! seven songs) of Christmas songs (most were very easy arrangements and two were more elaborate) and I played them at two Christmas parties. (and failed horribly at the first one! \:\(

I also have a set of songs that I always try to keep "playable" so that I can play for people when they come over etc. I play one of these songs almost very day so that they remain playable.

My playable list includes a standard arrangement of the Canon in D, Summer by Joe Hisaishi, and a simpler (but very nice) version of the main theme from the movie The Piano. I also love to sing and accompany myself, so I sometimes play/sing Let It Be (a bit low for a woman to sing to, but don't tell anyone) and a few Japanese pop songs.

I always wanted to be able to play for people, and early on in my practice I had the experience of playing a song in a recital (from memory) and then a few months later, someone asked me to play it and I couldn't even finish the first few measures. After that, I made it a goal to develop a set of songs that I could always play, and now I try to keep adding to that.

Also, I play Christmas songs every year and another goal is to increase my Christmas set each year. This has helped my reading too because I play some of the same songs every year, so rather than fully memorize them, I try to be able to play from sight (I say it this way b/c it's not sight-reading since they are songs I know). This year was the first year that I actually played my Christmas set out in public though. I'm a shaky-hand person, so it's a constant challenge.

Well, now I've just rambled on forever here! Sorry! Don't people rate members on this forum? My rating will carry a warning "never ask ShiroKuro about herself" kyaaaa :p

#1104845 - 01/01/05 02:01 PM Re: Belated Introduction
Phoenix_62 Offline

Loc: Isen, Germany
Welcome ShiroKuro!

I just joined a few days ago and I am so excited to come in contact with so many people who are so helpful.

I hope to be able to provide help to others in this forum in the future.

All the best from Germany!

#1104846 - 01/01/05 02:54 PM Re: Belated Introduction
SAS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Austin, TX
I'm a newbie also, and this forum is great. I spend most of my time here, everyone argues too much on the other forums! I've gotten a lot of good advice here, maybe someday I'll be able to offer some of my own!

#1104847 - 01/01/05 09:43 PM Re: Belated Introduction
Vintagefingers Offline

Loc: SE
ShiroKuro, welcome to you. I really enjoyed reading your last post. I would eventually like to play for people as well, have a few times but it was easier than now when greater things are expected. It is amazing what some people expect from a 1 year beginner, who do they think I am Liberace or something?

#1104848 - 01/01/05 11:48 PM Re: Belated Introduction
sleepingcats Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
Hi ShiroKuro,

What part of Japan do you live in? I was born in Kamakura (my Mom is Japanese). We left Japan when I was 5. She's the only one I speak Japanese to, other than my Uncle in Yokohama whom I call usually on New Year's Day.

Are there any good music sheet stores near you? The reason I ask is that I tried to order something through Kinokuniya Bookstore locally and they were told the book is out of print, but I thought maybe there are some still around. It's by Yuriko Nakamura. I'll have to find out the name of the music book. If you think you may be able to help me find it. please privately email me. Thank you so much!

I love this forum too. There is so much helpful information and fun people. \:\)

#1104849 - 01/02/05 06:54 AM Re: Belated Introduction
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Sleepingcats, I live on the island of Shikoku, kind of far from Kamakura.

There aren't really any good music stores in my town \:\( I usually get sheet music when I go up to the closest big city near here, which has both a Kinokuniya and a Yamaha music store, or when I visit the U.S.

Do you know the kanji for the name Yuriko, that would help (am assuming Nakamura is the standard one). Also, have you tried looking on AmazonJapan?

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Silent pianos
by emg
12/19/14 05:59 PM
scales are a struggle
by LarryShone
12/19/14 05:33 PM
forum extremely slow?
by wouter79
12/19/14 04:54 PM
Why do we play?
by Jytte
12/19/14 04:14 PM
Need Help About Accidentals
by Batuhan
12/19/14 03:29 PM
Forum Stats
77354 Members
42 Forums
159994 Topics
2349563 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission