2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
31 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, 9 invisible), 1,226 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
TTigg Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
eek good god that was nerve raking!

I've been learning piano now for approx 5.5mths so my teacher encouraged me (even though I am the only adult student) to take part in the recital for November (they hold them twice a year). So my piece was "At Sunrise" by Wayne Gratz. A New Ago artist and I simply [Linked Image] his work.

So alongside my Alfred #2 homework I begin trying to polish up the piece. I've also got the music on my iPod and as I begin to get further in I spot more and more accidentals and or "changes" made by the artist. Sure I expect some changes here and there but the middle section was beginning to give me grief.

Well since Mr Gratz had emailed me thanking me for my order (for his book) I decided to email him back. That's when he confirmed "ah yes, the musical notation is quite a bit different to that of what I recorded. I was trying to simplify it.

[Linked Image]
Now simplify I get but man, the ENTIRE middle piece had changed, so I just had to "do what I could" with it. So I practiced, practiced and then just for good measure practiced some more. I spent literally hours n hours on this thing getting it to the point I was happy with.

The actual Recital day
OK so when I got to the church and saw the nice (and great sounding) Young Chang grand I began to get more than just a little nervous. I was playing last since my piece was some 5mins long and I am the most advanced student she has. At first I wasn't sure how to take that but my teacher re-assured me that yes, even though some had been playing for years at an early age, since I pick stuff up so quickly and can memorize very well I should go last.

So then it was my turn. I had instructed my wife on how to operate the video camera and I was all set (and so bloody nervous) I got up, went to the front, introduced myself, told them all what I was going to (try) to play.

At this point I was very nervous but was planning to come to terms with the possibility of missing notes, forgetting parts, even the shaking of the hands, I thought (at that point) I had thought of everything...

...I was very wrong....

I began the piece and I immediately thought to myself "good god this piano sounds so good" and no sooner could I think that it happened..

My bloody leg began to shake uncontrollably! [Linked Image]

We're not talking a little nervous twitch here but full on shake and rolls. I couldn't believe it, I thought I had figured out how to cope with anything that was going to come my way. Considering this piece is pretty much all pedal I was hosed! [Linked Image] I got through the piece missing (on purpose) the repeat to make it approx a 3m song as oppose to 5.

Of course everyone was very nice and some of the parents of the other kids came up and congratulated me on such a gorgeous sounding piece. Many of them saying they only hope that their kids can get to that level someday. This of course made me feel better but I was SO disappointed with my stoopid leg I just wanted to run home (but refreshments were afterwards so I couldn't).

Then as we were leaving my wife tried her best to make me feel better by saying it sounded wonderful and lovely oh and also added "don't worry, if it makes you feel any better the video camera was saying insert memory stick, so it never recorded" I then informed her that simply meant she'd done it wrong since it wouldn't have worked (very funny moment looking back)

All in all I am glad I've done it but I won't be too quick to jump on the the next one. I think I will concentrate on my other stuff now and will eventually polish this up for a nice recording maybe for the next ABF Recital when it rolls around.

Looking back maybe I could have stepped on my right leg with my left? Either way, if I ever find myself in this position again I'm going to keep a 25lb weight in the car handy and strap it to my leg [Linked Image]

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
TTigg,
Those darn nerves will get the best of anybody.
I give you so much credit just for doing the recital and getting through is despite the nerves. You should be very proud of yourself. I wouldn't be so quick to write off future recitals though. With more and more practice it will get easier and you will have better control over your nerves. Btw... there a so many adults who don't have the nerve to dream. Not only do you allow yourself to dream you are making them come true. I give you so much credit for that too.
thumb

“The doubters said, "Man cannot fly," The doers said, "Maybe, but we'll try,"
And finally soared in the morning glow while non-believers watched from below.”
― Bruce Lee
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Oh btw...
My singing teacher had me tape my last two lessons. Unfortunately I did not have any equipment malfunctions and the tape recorder worked just fine... oh well.

“The doubters said, "Man cannot fly," The doers said, "Maybe, but we'll try,"
And finally soared in the morning glow while non-believers watched from below.”
― Bruce Lee
TTigg Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Kymber:
TTigg,
Those darn nerves will get the best of anybody.
I give you so much credit just for doing the recital and getting through is despite the nerves. You should be very proud of yourself. I wouldn't be so quick to write off future recitals though. With more and more practice it will get easier and you will have better control over your nerves. Btw... there a so many adults who don't have the nerve to dream. Not only do you allow yourself to dream you are making them come true. I give you so much credit for that too.
thumb
Thanks Kymber yep I was sure glad I did it and looking back it's easier than I felt on the day. I did feel very good when one of the parents asked me how many years I'd been playing cool

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
B
Bex Offline
B
Playing in recitals is very nerve-wracking. Best way to combat nerves is to play in public more, not less. I started playing again after a 15-year hiatus. I used to perform in many recitals when I was in high school and college, but in my first recital as a full-fledged adult I was quite nervous and had a major memory slip. Since then, I've been performing at least once a month, and while I'm still very nervous, I can control my nerves more.

On the piano stand:
Widmung
Partita in c minor
Jardins sous la pluie
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi TTig - congratulations on your success (yes, it's a success! You made it through your piece regardless of your nerves, you were in control and able to alter it and people liked your playing).
Btw: don't tie shaking legs down, the jitters will head straight for your hands....

I had a similar unpleasant surprise in my first recital: I had never even thought that my fingers could shake sideways until I sat down at the piano.

Maybe this helps: A few days before your next recital, sit down at your piano, close your eyes and relax. Imagine the whole recital situation to as many details as possible, imagine that you are happy and keen on letting people enjoy that beautiful piece of music you are going to play. Imagine how you go to the piano, sit down, that you feel excited and a bit nervous but that it's a good state which makes you more aware. Tell yourself your legs are relaxed and calm. Imagine how they feel when they are relaxed and calm. Then picture yourself playing, maybe go through your piece in your head. Of course, picture applause and imagine how glad and proud you are in the end.
Don't play, just make it happen in your head. Repeat every day.

"The creative process is nothing but a series of crises."
(Isaac B. Singer)

[Linked Image]
M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
Congrats...lets see the video... smile

You have guts, I couldn't do the live recital gig...

TTigg Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thanks all, great suggestions and tips. The other slightly annoying part was I sat back down @ the piano so my wife could get a better pic and yep... you guessed it... no more leg shaking! laugh

We'll see what I can put together for the next one which should be around Eastertime'sh..

thumb

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Congratulations TTigg! Thanks for sharing your experiences and the laughs, even at your expense. thumb I got nervous just reading about it. laugh

Good luck to you on all of your future recitals and performances.

Key Notes smile

Music speaks where words fails.
That is sooooo awsome!!!!! Congrats to you. Wow, that must have ben so nerve racking.

Ive been playing for 7-months and my teacher does a X-mas recital and she told me that as an adult student I dont have to participate. I dont know. Part of me wants to try, but part of me is just sooo chicken. We shall see. At best I will go observe all of her younger students. But thank you for posting your experience. And....wow....Thats so awsome that you did it!!!! You have an awsome Happy Turkey day!!!!

KaylaX (formerly Aspenxtreme)

Yamaha P115 Keyboard
A very old outta tune Baby Grand
A stack of piano music that I cant play !!!
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
The "shaking leg" thing about threw me to the floor! What a funny story. Good for you for giving the recital a go.
Maybe - if your teacher would be willing - you should ask her to give you two (or three) shots at two (or three) different pieces at intervals throughout the recital. Start FIRST with a simple short piece, about intermission play another, then later (or even last) get on with your five minute piece. Get the leg thing out of the way early. I think that by the third time on stage for an evening you would thrill your audience and feel right comfy sitting up there on a piano bench.
After all - you are the only adult AND the most advanced player. You deserve the deviance from protocol!
thumb

WHAT???????
Yamaha S6, U5C, P120
http://michaelstith.com
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Woo-hoo! Congratulations! Very brave of you, I'm still avoiding recitals vigorously wink

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ahh, I had the same problem when I played at a church "talent show" one time...Everything was really messy cause my hands were shaking.

Then next time, I played Lizt's HR2[only the Friska] for another informal talent show. I would have won were I not quite unpopular at the time -- and competing against two cute, popular girls...who in all honesty gave a performance of somewhat questionable quality[you could say the same about mine though].

That probably fixed my recital fear.

Most recently was playing the Croatian Rhapsody in front of 500 people at a summer camp type activity.

Practice makes permanent - Perfect practice makes perfect.
You have taken a brave step. Something many wish they could do but the voice of doom holds them back. As stated above, it should be easier next time. Perhaps if you could find a time when you could practice on the performance piano before the recital it might help with hearing it and getting the feel of it. You should be proud.

[Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Congratulations, TTigg! And thank you for the most entertaining post. smile

You should be very proud of yourself indeed. A shaky leg is quite minor in the large scheme of disasters that could happen (complete memory blocks, vomiting on the piano, the whole ten yards laugh ).

As the others have said, the more often you do it, the easier it gets. Take advantage of playing in front of people whenever you can... casual visitors, or stop by a hotel lobby piano, etc. etc.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Vomiting on the piano??? That's worse than a complete memory block!

Practice makes permanent - Perfect practice makes perfect.
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha. Oh, sorry - when I was rock climbing we called it "sewing machine legs." I recognized it immediately!

Congratulations to the max on just keepin' on truckin' - *that's* the mark of a real pro. And laughing about it later - a piano player after my own heart!

Great story -

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
TTigg, you have a gift for storytelling. I was hanging on your every word. I can just picture you sitting down to the piano and getting that terminal case of the shakes. Reminds me of the first time I "performed" in a high school drama. Everything went fine in rehearsals, but when we went before the audience I got the shakes so badly that I was trying to hide somewhere for most of the performance. Dreadfully embarrassing at the time, but it's really quite funny in hindsight.

Any road, congratulations on your public performance. Just having the "nerve" to perform in public is a major accomplishment. Yes, that was a bad pun. I'm certain that it will be easier for you next time around.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

TTigg Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thanks again everyone thumb

Dennis, Yeah I've been told that many like to read my funny stories, I try to do what I can to put people "in the moment" so to speak.

For sure next time I'll be getting there super early so I can actually practice a little. As for playing in public, agreed, the more the merrier. Maybe next time I'm @ Nordies I'll pop on the piano eek

thumb cool

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ttigg,

Good for you. It takes a lot of nerve to get up in front of an audience like that. Next time it'll be easier.

you have me lauhging out loud at your post. Not only are you a great pianist, you're a comedian as well. laugh

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear, Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair.>>> Herman Munster
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission