Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
67 registered (Beemer, Auver, Batuhan, Alux, 17 invisible), 1086 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1107852 - 10/08/04 05:31 PM Thanks for the positive thoughts - Whew, It's done
cathys Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia
I'm playing in an adult piano competition tomorrow (definite amateur bracket). One of my exercises to get more exposure to public playing. I thought about not making this post, that way I won't have to talk about it if it doesn't go well but on second thought I think I need all the positive thoughts I can get out there tomorrow.
This is the second annual competition I played last year too and it did not go well. What's that saying about a horse, you gotta get right back on. Anyway I'll be playing Handel - Harmonious Blacksmith, Debussy - Claire De Lune and the 1st movement from a Beethoven Sonata Op 2 No. 1. I'm hoping I have them polished enough not to not have a train wreck when the nerves kick in, we'll see.

Wish me luck.

Cathy

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1107853 - 10/08/04 05:55 PM Re: Thanks for the positive thoughts - Whew, It's done
mikhailoh Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cincinnati
Cathy,

With all that JP practice, you can't lose!

Knock 'em dead!

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'

#1107854 - 10/08/04 06:02 PM Re: Thanks for the positive thoughts - Whew, It's done
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Groton, NH
Positive thoughts are on their way!

Good luck!

#1107855 - 10/08/04 06:10 PM Re: Thanks for the positive thoughts - Whew, It's done
David Kirkham Offline

Loc: Provo, Utah
Cathy,

You will do fine. The only way to get better is to do it!

Good for you for trying! You are ahead of 99% of the world.

David \:\) \:\) \:\)
I bought my piano from www.pianocraft.net

#1107856 - 10/08/04 06:32 PM Re: Thanks for the positive thoughts - Whew, It's done
divadeb Offline
500 Post Club Member

You GO!

www.divadeb.com

#1107857 - 10/08/04 07:04 PM Re: Thanks for the positive thoughts - Whew, It's done
newpianoplayer Offline

Loc: CANADA
Cathy,
Best wishes for tomorrow. Is this a formal adult competition. I think there needs to be more of these adult competitions/recitals.

#1107858 - 10/08/04 08:39 PM Re: Thanks for the positive thoughts - Whew, It's done
pianojuggler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'll be rooting for you. Play well.

#1107859 - 10/08/04 08:59 PM Re: Thanks for the positive thoughts - Whew, It's done
cathys Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks for all the positives. I've been running through my pieces this evening.

newpianoplayer - I'm not sure what exactly would be considered a formal competition. This one is sponsored by one of local piano stores and there will be judges. It's the only adult competition that I'm aware of in the area.

I don't play till 4 in the afternoon so I'll have plenty of time for nerves to build tomorrow.

Cathy

#1107860 - 10/08/04 09:22 PM Re: Thanks for the positive thoughts - Whew, It's done
sleepingcats Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
I'm sure you'll do fine! Take long, deep, relaxing breaths. \:D Let us know how it goes!

#1107861 - 10/08/04 09:34 PM Re: Thanks for the positive thoughts - Whew, It's done
katie_dup1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Good Luck & best wishes Cathy .... Enjoy playing your music tomorrow .... You have a lot of spunk to play in a competition.

#1107862 - 10/10/04 01:13 PM Re: Thanks for the positive thoughts - Whew, It's done
Cindysphinx Offline

Loc: Washington D.C. Metro
A belated good luck, Cathy!

Cindy -- who would have happily gone out to play in Cathy's competition right before Cathy performed so as to make Cathy sound *wonderful* by comparison ;\)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post...QvjrL_blog.html

#1107863 - 10/10/04 06:49 PM Re: Thanks for the positive thoughts - Whew, It's done
cathys Offline
500 Post Club Member

\:D Cindy thanks I could have used that but I'm sure I wouldn't have sounded wonderful by comparison.

Well I survived, it went better than last year but not great. It's so frustrating when you know you are capable of playing something but the nerves kick in so badly there is no way to sound your best.
Well I played yesterday afternoon was able to keep the nerves pretty much under control (just slightly feeling like I needed to throw up :rolleyes: ) They had a little practice room where I was able to warm up which helped me relax a bit and I kept up my deep relaxing breaths and tried to stay in the right mind set. I walked into the small auditorium when it was my turn and saw two grands, one a concert and the other smaller set up on a huge lit up stage, that's ok no pressure there. I was actually fairly calm and thought my mindset stuff was working especially since there were only about 5 people in the audience. I sat on bench waiting for the sound guy to say he was ready to record and was actually fairly calm. Well that ended as soon as I started to play, about 8 measures in I could feel myself starting to shake. By the time I got half way through Claire De Lune (the second piece) I could actually see my hands shaking but couldn't see the keys. It was almost with that one being slower I had more time to be nervous. I finished with the Beethoven and finally started to feel the nervousness subside and was just into playing. That one I was most worried about and probably did the best on; it was like it moved fast enough that my hands didn't have time for shaking.
Although I'm not very happy with the performance it was still better than my previous attempt and again I survived to live and play another day. I so want to get to the point where I can do this somewhat competently.

I talked to my teacher this morning, she played in the professional group in the morning, and asked how her set went. She walked in and handed her music to the judge who said, "Hi Carrie it's wonderful to see you!" It was one of her old college music teachers and it just happened to be the one which she originally worked with on at least one of pieces she was performing. She said that she could mentally hear her teacher's sigh with every mistake she made. In hindsight I feel very lucky I wasn't performing with that kind of pressure.

Cathy

#1107864 - 10/11/04 07:09 AM Re: Thanks for the positive thoughts - Whew, It's done
pianojuggler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Way to go, Cathy. I've experienced the same thing with my hands shaking so much, I couldn't even figure out where the gaps between the black keys are.

But as you say, you survived. Every performance is an opportunity to work on those nerves.

I'm just glad to hear you didn't actually throw up. That would have been very unpleasant for the next performer. \:\)

#1107865 - 10/11/04 07:13 AM Re: Thanks for the positive thoughts - Whew, It's done
jdsher Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Plano, Texas
Congrats on your performance. It sounds like you are gaining control of your nervousness. Cudos for going out there and performing and competing. You make us all very proud. \:\)
Jon

#1107866 - 10/11/04 07:49 AM Re: Thanks for the positive thoughts - Whew, It's done
mikhailoh Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cincinnati
Cathy,

I think the important thing is you were the master of your fears. You should be very p[roud of yourself.. performing is difficult for just about everyone, and you did it!

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'

#1107867 - 10/11/04 12:22 PM Re: Thanks for the positive thoughts - Whew, It's done
Freedom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland
You are very brave to go into a competition like that, many people can't take the pressure, but you survived.
Well done \:\)

#1107868 - 10/11/04 03:35 PM Re: Thanks for the positive thoughts - Whew, It's done
cathys Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks to all of you for the all the moral support!!!! It really feels good to read through this thread. I changed the title since I added how it went last Saturday. Frank III posted the competition flyer in the piano forum in case anyone is interested in coming out this way to participate in future years.
I get another shot of nerves this Saturday evening at a public performance (am I a glutton for punishment or what). I'm playing in a small concert at church, I'll just play the Claire de Lune. I know the only way to get past this is to keep doing it.
So long for now and thanks to everyone again \:\)

#1107869 - 10/12/04 08:29 AM Re: Thanks for the positive thoughts - Whew, It's done
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Cathy-- congratulations! What an accomplishment.

Maybe there should be a Western PW meeting (perhaps in, say NIWOT, just to throw a name out \:\) ) at the time of next year's competition, and we could all go as a group and help support each other. I'll bring the barf bags!

Way to go!

Nina

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
1 Hour 2-5-1 Jazz Workout Backing Track - Slow to Fast Swing
by Nahum
12/20/14 05:36 AM
Jools Holland wow
by Shey
12/20/14 05:23 AM
How to determine felt thickness without specifications?
by JoeThePro
12/20/14 01:09 AM
Trill technique question
by pianolearnerstride
12/19/14 10:19 PM
Anyone use a seat cushion?
by DeadPoets
12/19/14 08:48 PM
Forum Stats
77362 Members
42 Forums
160008 Topics
2349716 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission