2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (beeboss, Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
cathys Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I'm playing in an adult piano competition tomorrow (definite amateur bracket). One of my exercises to get more exposure to public playing. I thought about not making this post, that way I won't have to talk about it if it doesn't go well but on second thought I think I need all the positive thoughts I can get out there tomorrow.
This is the second annual competition I played last year too and it did not go well. What's that saying about a horse, you gotta get right back on. Anyway I'll be playing Handel - Harmonious Blacksmith, Debussy - Claire De Lune and the 1st movement from a Beethoven Sonata Op 2 No. 1. I'm hoping I have them polished enough not to not have a train wreck when the nerves kick in, we'll see.

Wish me luck.

Cathy

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Cathy,

With all that JP practice, you can't lose!

Knock 'em dead!

Michael

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Positive thoughts are on their way! thumb

Good luck!

"Hunger for growth will come to you in the form of a problem." -- unknown
D
D
Cathy,

You will do fine. The only way to get better is to do it!

Good for you for trying! You are ahead of 99% of the world.

David smile smile smile

David Kirkham
Kirkham Motorsports
www.kirkhammotorsports.com
I bought my piano from www.pianocraft.net
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
You GO!

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

www.divadeb.com
Cathy,
Best wishes for tomorrow. Is this a formal adult competition. I think there needs to be more of these adult competitions/recitals.

Please excuse me. I have to go practice
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
I'll be rooting for you. Play well.

cathys Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thanks for all the positives. I've been running through my pieces this evening.

newpianoplayer - I'm not sure what exactly would be considered a formal competition. This one is sponsored by one of local piano stores and there will be judges. It's the only adult competition that I'm aware of in the area.

I don't play till 4 in the afternoon so I'll have plenty of time for nerves to build tomorrow.

Cathy

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I'm sure you'll do fine! Take long, deep, relaxing breaths. laugh Let us know how it goes!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Good Luck & best wishes Cathy .... Enjoy playing your music tomorrow .... You have a lot of spunk to play in a competition.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A belated good luck, Cathy!

Cindy -- who would have happily gone out to play in Cathy's competition right before Cathy performed so as to make Cathy sound *wonderful* by comparison wink

cathys Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
laugh Cindy thanks I could have used that but I'm sure I wouldn't have sounded wonderful by comparison.

Well I survived, it went better than last year but not great. It's so frustrating when you know you are capable of playing something but the nerves kick in so badly there is no way to sound your best.
Well I played yesterday afternoon was able to keep the nerves pretty much under control (just slightly feeling like I needed to throw up :rolleyes: ) They had a little practice room where I was able to warm up which helped me relax a bit and I kept up my deep relaxing breaths and tried to stay in the right mind set. I walked into the small auditorium when it was my turn and saw two grands, one a concert and the other smaller set up on a huge lit up stage, that's ok no pressure there. I was actually fairly calm and thought my mindset stuff was working especially since there were only about 5 people in the audience. I sat on bench waiting for the sound guy to say he was ready to record and was actually fairly calm. Well that ended as soon as I started to play, about 8 measures in I could feel myself starting to shake. By the time I got half way through Claire De Lune (the second piece) I could actually see my hands shaking but couldn't see the keys. It was almost with that one being slower I had more time to be nervous. I finished with the Beethoven and finally started to feel the nervousness subside and was just into playing. That one I was most worried about and probably did the best on; it was like it moved fast enough that my hands didn't have time for shaking.
Although I'm not very happy with the performance it was still better than my previous attempt and again I survived to live and play another day. I so want to get to the point where I can do this somewhat competently.

I talked to my teacher this morning, she played in the professional group in the morning, and asked how her set went. She walked in and handed her music to the judge who said, "Hi Carrie it's wonderful to see you!" It was one of her old college music teachers and it just happened to be the one which she originally worked with on at least one of pieces she was performing. She said that she could mentally hear her teacher's sigh with every mistake she made. In hindsight I feel very lucky I wasn't performing with that kind of pressure.

Cathy

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Way to go, Cathy. I've experienced the same thing with my hands shaking so much, I couldn't even figure out where the gaps between the black keys are.

But as you say, you survived. Every performance is an opportunity to work on those nerves.

I'm just glad to hear you didn't actually throw up. That would have been very unpleasant for the next performer. smile

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Congrats on your performance. It sounds like you are gaining control of your nervousness. Cudos for going out there and performing and competing. You make us all very proud. smile
Jon

"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Albert Einstein
Charles Walter W190 Ebony
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Cathy,

I think the important thing is you were the master of your fears. You should be very p[roud of yourself.. performing is difficult for just about everyone, and you did it!

Michael

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You are very brave to go into a competition like that, many people can't take the pressure, but you survived.
Well done smile

"A print of the score has everything you need to know about the music, except the essential."
cathys Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thanks to all of you for the all the moral support!!!! It really feels good to read through this thread. I changed the title since I added how it went last Saturday. Frank III posted the competition flyer in the piano forum in case anyone is interested in coming out this way to participate in future years.
I get another shot of nerves this Saturday evening at a public performance (am I a glutton for punishment or what). I'm playing in a small concert at church, I'll just play the Claire de Lune. I know the only way to get past this is to keep doing it.
So long for now and thanks to everyone again thumb smile

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Cathy-- congratulations! What an accomplishment.

Maybe there should be a Western PW meeting (perhaps in, say NIWOT, just to throw a name out smile ) at the time of next year's competition, and we could all go as a group and help support each other. I'll bring the barf bags!

Way to go!

Nina

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission