Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1107968 - 12/10/05 07:25 PM new to the forum
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am an adult beginner (55 yrs, in Alfred Method Book 3). I just wanted everyone to know how much I appreciate the information I have received on the forum already. Thanks!

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1107969 - 12/10/05 07:27 PM Re: new to the forum
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Hi Goldy1002, welcome to the forum! What was the motivating event that got you to start? What kind of music do you like to play?

#1107970 - 12/10/05 10:42 PM Re: new to the forum
Happyshawtrapp Offline

Loc: Oregon
Hi Goldie what are you playing in Book three. I am playing Grieg's something of the Mountain King. How long have you been at this? I have been playing a little over three years? How fun. I haven't seen many people in the same book. Welcome

#1107971 - 12/10/05 11:53 PM Re: new to the forum
gilad Offline

Loc: south africa
welcome goldy.i'm on book 3 also , and im looking forward to "in the hall of a mountain king" that piece is powerful. i just started the book about 2 weeks ago.

#1107972 - 12/11/05 12:01 AM Re: new to the forum
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
welcome and have fun playing!

#1107973 - 12/11/05 10:37 AM Re: new to the forum
Happyshawtrapp Offline

Hi Gilad, I started the book over a year ago. My teacher has slooooowed me down on these pieces and have to say she has been focusing alot on technique. Either I am very slow or it is slow going. I will be interested tohear how it goes for you. I was telling someone. I wept through the Star Spangled Banner because shewould not pass me and I was really tired of weeping for my country. Sheesh. I am very excited to talk to someone else who is in book 3.

#1107974 - 12/11/05 03:29 PM Re: new to the forum
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks to everyone who responded. I have had to postpone piano lessons for soooo many years to take care of everyone else...now it's my turn. I have always wanted to play and am now able to live my dream. I am currently working on the Alfred version of Schubert's Unfinished Symphony. This piece is proving to be challenging for me (the coming in on weak beats). I am looking forward to someday playing Chopin. Wish me luck!

#1107975 - 12/11/05 03:31 PM Re: new to the forum
Anonymous
Unregistered

Add on to previous posting - I also would like to play anything by the Beatles.

#1107976 - 12/12/05 07:43 AM Re: new to the forum
Happyshawtrapp Offline

I have to say I spent a lot of time on the Unfinished and understood completely why it was unfinished. It is very deceiving the notion of plowing through books 1 and 2 and then you really take time on 3. Sheesh. How do you feel about the pedal? I have to say I am not heavy on it and don't enjoy it as much as I think I should

#1107977 - 12/12/05 10:23 AM Re: new to the forum
Anonymous
Unregistered

Happyshawtrapp, I agree about Book 1 & 2, they went fast and now some of the pieces in Book 3 are taking up to a month to get polished. The pedal is a challenge for me that seems to be getting easier with time. I think the pedal adds a lot to the music and it helps to hold the notes while you make the big jumps, turn pages, etc. Expression seems to be the most difficult part for me. Those subtle differences that really make a piece sound like music are what is most challenging for me.

#1107978 - 12/12/05 06:00 PM Re: new to the forum
gilad Offline

Loc: south africa
hey, yeah, i've played the first 3 pieces in book 3 and they've all been easy peezy \:D . i've also been working on a couple of pieces i'm enjoying on the side, so thats slowed my progress in the book, but i believe aided me and given me some fresh direction. but i must get back into the alfreds, i see some interesting pieces up ahead.Happyshawtrap p, i'm so sorry you were brought to tears because your teacher wouldnt pass you, i would cry too. my teachers priority is that i have fun, he always asks me are you having fun with it all? if i've had enough of something he encourages me to move on as long as it's adequately on the right track, i'm yet to perfect anything, i get very impatient playing the same pieces over and over again. however when i go back to earlier music in book 2 i can play them better than before, which feels great and shows me that i've progressed.
what i have found most helpful recently is practising hands seperate, and then eventually together, it really saves me so much time, my mind gets to absorb the technical aspects of the piece properly. i only started doint this a week or ago, and the difference is marked.
so i'm postive i'll be able to master properly for the first time some of the material in book 3 for the above reason, and for the reason that the pieces are more musical and enjoyable.
and as for the peddal, i found myself becoming dependent on it BECAUSE i wasn't putting enough time into learning my pieces and they were disconnected, (so i tied my right foot to the chair leg, just kidding), so i went back like 20 pages and slogged them all out for a week with no pedal. i'm cured now and my overall technique and speed have improved somewhat.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
133 registered (Abby Pianoman, 36251, ajames, accordeur, albumblatter, 38 invisible), 1860 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75595 Members
42 Forums
156302 Topics
2295542 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Happy Birthday torquenale !!!!
by CarlosCC
Today at 08:26 AM
compositional methods
by Michael Sayers
Today at 08:03 AM
Happy Birthday earlofmar !!!!
by CarlosCC
Today at 04:49 AM
Tight Key ??
by moy71
Today at 01:15 AM
Learning progress
by sunnyday
Today at 01:10 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission