2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,855 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
tm3 Offline
here is the casio at 27 pounds

http://www.priviapiano.com/

and i'm guessing you would need to check it in something like this

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Keyboards/Midi/Amps/Accessories?sku=544763

i hope someone gets this wheel invented and smoothed out before my next trip! wink

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I wouldn't think the Casio would be that easy to travel with....granted it's only 27 pounds or so, but it is very long and I have trouble just fitting it in my car...I'd hate to be lugging it around an airport myself laugh

When I reach the place I'm going, I will surely know my way.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, only what you are expecting to give, which is everything. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn
tm3 Offline
yes an 88 key board is going to be long -- i would think much too long to be allowed as a carry on, and as rocky says the length is going to make handling it challenging.

a 61 key board would be better from a size standpoint, but i don't think that any of them have weighted actions.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Here is a 61-key keyboard: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4171929

Clearance priced at $58 at Walmart.

Don't worry about carry-on, just buy one at your destination and throw it away when you are done.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
P
OP Offline
P
For this year's vacation, our problem is solved - made an internet search for short-term appartments with pianos, and found out there are quite a few. As we were somewhat flexible, we took one of them (keep fingers crossed my boss approves the preferred time!). It's "only" a new claviola, but that will allow me to practice at any time of the day without any worries as to what people may think after the xth repetition of that 1/2 ever so difficult line ...

My husband's already joking that he'll be all on his own while I'll be practicing for hours.

Tried a 53-key keyboard at a friend's house recently and found it rather irritating to play on it and thought it would be something "for emergency only", and I'm rather glad I'll find a 88-key clavinola.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
That's a great solution, Piano&Violin! thumb Now if only I can find a hotel that has pianos in the bedrooms. (I've never yet gotten the nerve up to play a hotel lobby piano, but it might very well come to it.)

I appreciated greatly everybody's information and advice on the Casio. I looked at the specs and talked it over with my husband. He was concerned about the weight and bulk. That bothered me less (I figured I could always get HIM to schlep it around for me!). But when I looked over the features, I realized that it wouldn't satisfy what I wanted in a digital piano, and it just doesn't make sense to spend $600 on something I would only use one or two weeks out of the year.

So I guess I'm either going to go a week without playing frown or conquer my fear of playing a lobby piano. eek

P
OP Offline
P
Hi Monica,

The cost for the week that we'll be going and the size of the Casio (88-keys don't easily fit into a small car!) kind of bothered me, also.

And, having started to play 2 years ago, I'm not at all ready to play in the lobby! Though there are some very nice small pieces, I spend most of my time at the piano learning new things and practicing them until I'm good at that, plus scales, etc. etc.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission