Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1108947 - 02/09/09 04:14 PM Weekly Lessons - is there a REAL alternative?
Ragtime Clown Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland
In all of the time that I have been taking lessons, despite forking out my hard-earned cash, I have to say that I have never really found anything that can substitute my weekly lessons.

Even when I am not playing well, or I don't feel like driving across town to my teachers house, I will always sit down at my piano, open my notebook, do what he has asked me to do and I feel so good afterwards.

Does anyone else feel the same?

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1108948 - 02/09/09 05:34 PM Re: Weekly Lessons - is there a REAL alternative?
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
maybe you need less lessons. see if you can take 1 lesson every 2 weeks?

#1108949 - 02/10/09 12:46 PM Re: Weekly Lessons - is there a REAL alternative?
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Actually, weekly lessons aren't ideal. Now daily lessons, that would be valuable! Instead of preparing something alone during the week to be "presented" to a teacher, you'd have that teacher working alongside you during your practice time.I bet a lot more could get accomplished in a shorter period with this. But the way the world is these days, that is hardly practical.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1108950 - 02/10/09 12:55 PM Re: Weekly Lessons - is there a REAL alternative?
Reeds'n'Keys Offline

Loc: Western NC
Hehe, a live-in piano teacher. Imagine what kind of life that would be, for both the student and the teacher...

#1108951 - 02/10/09 03:10 PM Re: Weekly Lessons - is there a REAL alternative?
Mike Saville Offline

Loc: Cornwall, UK
I often recommend lessons every 2 weeks for more advanced students. When preparing longer works I find that a 30 minute lesson is not enough time to cover all the material. Often it is also not possible to cover all of the material I set during a single week.

#1108952 - 02/10/09 03:46 PM Re: Weekly Lessons - is there a REAL alternative?
dukeofhesse Offline

Loc: wilmington nc
Since I am totally unqualified to voice an opinion about the value of a teacher, you may want to just skip over this post but....

I just started to work at playing the piano a little more than two months ago using the Alfred's Self Teaching Adult book.

Since there is a huge amount of information that I can learn on my own I feel that there is no need to pay a teacher for stuff I can do myself.

Is this the ideal way to learn? Of course not, but it's a lot cheaper and it really is very rewarding to have learned so much and actually be able to play pieces without investing a dime.

But for those who are more comfortable with a teacher and can afford it, absolutely go for it. I will at some point do the same

#1108953 - 02/10/09 03:55 PM Re: Weekly Lessons - is there a REAL alternative?
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
Take piano lessons as often as possible - to do less than weekly produces a weak outcome.

Take piano lessons for as long as you can manage per lesson with one hour as a minimum - to do less than an hour lesson at a time again produces a weak outcome.

The less you feel you can do something for whatever reason, I would encourage you to do more, more, more.

You are really holding yourself back when you don't commit wholely to piano lessons.

Resistance, limitations, excuses creep up and ruin your plans for gaining musicianship because you are making your preferences the obstacle to overcome.

Weekly or weakly, people?

If you let a good teacher mentor and guide you, you will get to your destination faster which in the long run saves you money and time and brings success and progress to your endeavor.

This is encouragement and motivation to reach your goals, but it may seem otherwise.

I, as a teacher, want for you to be as independent as you can be musically, and that's why we work diligently during lessons to get you there in the newly acquired thinking state and attitude of a musician.

Pursuit! Action! Passion! Commitment!

#1108954 - 02/10/09 04:06 PM Re: Weekly Lessons - is there a REAL alternative?
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
to have more than 1 lesson per week is beneficial for kids or beginners with a lot of spare time, but not for adults with FT jobs. for people with day job, there's less time available daily for piano practice, which is translated to less preparation time for lessons. 1 lesson for every 2 weeks is a good option, which was exactly what i started with and it worked out great. although later i did switch to weekly lessons, i found it less beneficial because of not sufficient practice time for lesson which made my teacher less happy during my lesson as well.

so, unless you have nothing else to do all day but practicing piano, weekly lesson is less desirable and even beneficial.

#1108955 - 02/10/09 04:22 PM Re: Weekly Lessons - is there a REAL alternative?
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

One of the applications of longer lessons and frequent lessons is that the teacher and adult student can work together to prepare the music by analysing and understanding it's requirements.

If you have never done triplets before, a strong lesson in counting "chocolate" and keeping them accurately within the time signature accurately would be a worthy investment of your time together. Also you could learn to count them whether distributed over a quarter note, or half note.

You could do a full study of 3 types of staccato and also accents and special touches/attacks and releases on the keyboard in preparation for when you meet up with them in repertoire.

You could study several pieces of the same composer over his/her career.

You could....you could...the list is endless.

I think adults, because they are busy, true, do just enough to try to stay on top of their assignment, but never quite feeling prepared. That probably is because it's hard to get to the piano regularly. Doesn't our attitude have to change about that?

And, as we make progress through the first year or so, we begin to realize that this is a potentially long term endeavor, because the biggest assets we need are our interest, our time, and our effort.

If you are not at the piano as often as possible and playing, you are not all that interested, and not much effort is being given, however time is passing just as quickly as usual.

If you don't do it now, when do you think you will do it?

I happen to believe that major breakthroughs can happen in a 1 - 5 minute period of working on something. If you are really pushed for having enough time, then push back and find some.

Small increments add up.

No increments do not add up at all.

A savings account at the bank at "0" doesn't get to higher digets without someone investing in it.

Do the best you can with the time you can!

#1108956 - 02/10/09 04:23 PM Re: Weekly Lessons - is there a REAL alternative?
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Is there a real alternative to weekly lessons? Sure. Lots of us don't take lessons at all and are still deriving tremendous enjoyment and satisfaction out of piano, and lots of us don't consider what we're doing or our outcomes as "weak."

But lots of people also derive great satisfaction from taking weekly, biweekly, or twice-weekly lessons. That's terrific, too. I really like hearing your enthusiasm for your lessons and teacher, Ragtime Clown. \:\) Lessons are obviously working well for you.

I believe (and often say) that there are many routes to piano and music. The route that you choose may not be the best for somebody else, so, yes, I think there are many viable alternatives to weekly lessons.

#1108957 - 02/10/09 05:53 PM Re: Weekly Lessons - is there a REAL alternative?
ProdigalPianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix Metro, AZ
 Quote:
Originally posted by Betty Patnude:

I think adults, because they are busy, true, do just enough to try to stay on top of their assignment, but never quite feeling prepared. That probably is because it's hard to get to the piano regularly. Doesn't our attitude have to change about that.

(snip)

If you are not at the piano as often as possible and playing, you are not all that interested, and not much effort is being given, however time is passing just as quickly as usual.
[/b]
Betty this is not directed at you personally but your comments are really hitting home for me at this time, so what I say now is in response to what I have quoted above ***but is also in response to many comments made by several teachers on PW about adult students.

About attitudes needing to change and adults 'not being all that interested'...

Having piano lessons every 2 weeks is a struggle for me...both in terms of practice time and paying for lessons.

I make a tremendous effort to find time to practice, and I work a second job to pay for lessons.

Just to keep my regular job, sometimes, like last week, I work 1-2 hours of overtime (unpaid, as I'm salaried) each day. As more and more companies lay people off, I don't see this situation improving any time soon for any of us.

By the time I get home, make tomorrow's lunches, and tonight's supper, I am often emotionally and physically exhausted. I have a very short window of time to practice. My husband gets up at 4:30 a.m. to go to work so he goes to bed at 9:00 p.m., so on days when I work until 7:00 you can see that managing to practice at all is not likely.

One of the reasons I have lessons every 2 weeks is because, at the best of times, it takes me 2 weeks to do 1 week's practice (comparing practice time with a child). The other is that I simply can't afford to pay for weekly lessons.

I cannot possibly be the only person on this board who is completely sick and tired of hearing that adults, who make the efforts that we do to take piano lessons, "don't value lessons" or "need an attitude change" or "are not trying hard enough" or...my personal favorite..."are wasting a teacher's time" (this, especially is bewildering when the teachers' forum also has threads about teachers being concerned with losing students and income!).

Sometimes I feel like just giving up. The reason that I keep struggling to accomplish anything at the piano is that, often, playing the piano is the only source of satisfaction and enjoyment I get in life. It is unfortunate that my attitude about this one bright spot in my life is also being colored with guilt and frustration about not practicing enough, taking too long to learn pieces, and having to cancel lessons when my boss says I have to stay and work that day.

THen I have the added pressure of wondering if my teacher thinks "I'm wasting her time" or is frustrated with me and thinks I am making excuses about not practicing or rescheduling lessons.

I was supposed to have a lesson on Thursday but had to cancel because my scheduled day off had to change, as my roof leaked, my (home) office ceiling collapsed, and I had to take time off tomorrow when the roofers can come. For many adult students, crap like this is not a 'rare occurrance'...in my family, I'm the one who has to take care of it when stuff goes wrong!

I wish more teachers on PW would appreciate the effort that adult students go thru, to "only" have a lesson every 2 weeks!!!

edited to add: I did not post this to whine and it is, in fact, embarrassing to admit. However, without divulging the gory and personal details, I had no real hope that my point would be made and understood.

My only domestic quality is that I live in a house.

#1108958 - 02/10/09 07:33 PM Re: Weekly Lessons - is there a REAL alternative?
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
 Quote:
Originally posted by ProdigalPianist:
The reason that I keep struggling to accomplish anything at the piano is that, often, playing the piano is the only source of satisfaction and enjoyment I get in life. It is unfortunate that my attitude about this one bright spot in my life is also being colored with guilt and frustration about not practicing enough, taking too long to learn pieces, and having to cancel lessons when my boss says I have to stay and work that day.

THen I have the added pressure of wondering if my teacher thinks "I'm wasting her time" or is frustrated with me and thinks I am making excuses about not practicing or rescheduling lessons.
[/b]
Beautifully written, ProdigalPianist. Bravo! You have expressed the thoughts of many of us here. \:\)

#1108959 - 02/10/09 07:43 PM Re: Weekly Lessons - is there a REAL alternative?
Greyhound Offline

ProdigalPianist - Thank you!!!!

#1108960 - 02/10/09 08:19 PM Re: Weekly Lessons - is there a REAL alternative?
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
ProdigalPianist, I'm so glad that someone finally said all that. :-)

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#1108961 - 02/10/09 08:25 PM Re: Weekly Lessons - is there a REAL alternative?
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
ProdigalPianist -

There's *lots* of ways to learn piano, and the fact that I don't take lessons at all doesn't mean I'm not learning all the time -

Cathy

#1108962 - 02/10/09 09:13 PM Re: Weekly Lessons - is there a REAL alternative?
aspiretobe Offline

Loc: PA
Interesting interactions and discussions. I am sure that there are very good teachers out there. I tried it once and it didn't work out. First I had to teach myself how to read music and memorize all the keys on the piano. OK, no big deal it just takes time and it was easier than learning Calculus in College. Then I went through all the Alfred books, etc . I also added to my library, numerous books, not on to how to learn piano, but how to teach. My favorites are:

Mastering Piano Technique by Seymour Fink ( where I learned about pronation and supination)

How to teach piano successfully by James W. Bastien.

Piano Technique by Walter Gieseking and Karl Leimer ( EXCELLENT!!) I particularly like when on the subject of playing scales they state" It is a grave mistake, and one which is frequently made, to allow both hands to play together when practicing scales. Scales are played with a view to training the fingers, so that they do their work evenly and smoothly. Every tone of a scale must be struck with a certain vigor, and the ear must be carefully trained to hear the exact volume of sound required....." ..it goes on and on.... This was originally published in 1932 and I love it. These are my real teachers.

With your own two hands-Self discovery through music by Seymour Bernstein.

I feel that as an adult ( I started at almost 50), a teacher has to be more of a psycologist than anything else, so if anyone knows of a teacher that is able to teach me just like those books do , let me know.

#1108963 - 02/10/09 09:25 PM Re: Weekly Lessons - is there a REAL alternative?
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

ProdigalPianist,

I think I do understand exactly what you are saying about all the demands which make you change your plans, and how hard it is to be able to pay for the alternate week lessons that you do schedule.

I have taught a lot of adults who had those circumstances, and I worked with them because that was the best we could do at the time with the circumstances facing us. But I counseled them to find the opportunities they could, as they could.

Putting your appointment in the schedule in ink, and saying nothing will interupt my plans seems absurd, but one lady had to do that to keep things from affecting her one very important thing that she wanted to do. The kids adapted to the change because she explained and showed it was very important to her, and she fully intended that things around her would change because she expected to get what she needed, cooperation and consideration. That may not be your circumstance, but it was hers and it took courage to meet it head on.

For women with a family, this is especially true that we hold up the world on our shoulders - or at least it feels that we are the responsible ones to take care of things. Wives, mothers, daughters, sisters we are. Most of us put ourselves last in the scheme of things and step aside when we put someone's bigger need before our own.

When I took piano lessons while learning to be a teacher, it did not fit in the budget, nor did the money that I used to purchase it. It was a ghastly piano, but it was available. Later, I bought a new, affordably priced and very well ranked U1 Yamaha which I still have. I worked too at parttime jobs while having 5 kids at home, and I started to teach in addition.

I can tell from what you say that your piano time and what it means to you is precious.

I would hope that circumstances can change enough for you because you want to increase your time you are able to spend to meet your musical goals whatever they be to you.

Thank you for writing so clearly I respect your gift for being able to do so. I hope you're able to make some adjustments that give you the circumstances you need to apply your mind and spirit to the piano in a way that brings you even more blessings you so well deserve.

For the highest good of all! I believe you will find your time and your way! Have faith!

Betty

#1108964 - 02/10/09 10:22 PM Re: Weekly Lessons - is there a REAL alternative?
chihuahua Offline

Loc: An Oligarchy
 Quote:
Originally posted by signa:
to have more than 1 lesson per week is beneficial for kids or beginners with a lot of spare time, but not for adults with FT jobs. for people with day job, there's less time available daily for piano practice, which is translated to less preparation time for lessons. 1 lesson for every 2 weeks is a good option, which was exactly what i started with and it worked out great. although later i did switch to weekly lessons, i found it less beneficial because of not sufficient practice time for lesson which made my teacher less happy during my lesson as well.

so, unless you have nothing else to do all day but practicing piano, weekly lesson is less desirable and even beneficial. [/b]
That is why I keep to fortnightly lessons. My teacher will assign a piece, and when I see her next visit, she expects me to be able to play it reasonable well; at my level, she mainly works with my interpretation, expression and pedaling. Unless I can play the piece reasonably well, it is quite difficult to work on those areas. I couldn’t be still figuring out the fingering or technique to a certain passage. One week is quite impossible for me (with a FT job) to learn an advanced piece well (e.g. a complete sonata, perhaps a movement for a few lessons).

So I think (IMHO) fortnightly lessons for advanced students with FT jobs would be just about right.

#1108965 - 02/10/09 11:58 PM Re: Weekly Lessons - is there a REAL alternative?
Seneca Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
The entire gestalt of traditional piano lessons is predicated on adults instructing children.

Adult beginners are a recent phenomena. Read the John Locke thread elsewhere on this forum. Adults beginners don't fit with the conventional program.

Fortunately, there are teachers out there who are competent to work with adults. And, fortunately, there are many ways to heaven, and many ways to music. So the student teacher relationship isn't the only approach. If you doubt this, pull out the ouiji board and ask Scott Joplin, who, could, however, read music, unlike many of his contemporaries.

So, to answer the OP, no, the weekly lesson isn't the only way to go. It is the conventional way. And most of us are conventional thinkers.

Of course, if your main goal isn't to become a musician, but, rather, to re-assume the role of a student at an earlier stage in your life, there is no alternative to the format, structure and schedule of regular lessons, and that is likely to be quite satisfying.

#1108966 - 02/11/09 02:20 AM Re: Weekly Lessons - is there a REAL alternative?
Ragtime Clown Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland
 Quote:
Originally posted by Seneca:
Adults beginners don't fit with the conventional program.
[/b]
I guess I am very lucky indeed.

I am the only student my teacher has. He gave up piano lessons four years ago. When I was making phone calls I came across his number on a list of teachers.

In June last year he said he wasn't really interested in starting to teach again but as we talked about my interests and repetoire he said it was interesting and I should call him againain late August.

When I rang again in late August, he agreed and said that he would take me on as his only students purely to keep him motivated and in tune with teaching.

He is fantastic! He has developed my reading ability, built up a repetoire with me, invites to bring along pieces that I want to play, and most importantly he is so engaged in the 30minute lesson that EVERY week it turns into a one HOUR lesson at no extra cost.

#1108967 - 02/11/09 04:53 AM Re: Weekly Lessons - is there a REAL alternative?
LaValse Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mumbles, Wales
Yes, there are real alternatives. I have a 2-3 hour lesson once every 4 weeks - this suites me fine. The lesson is long enough to get into some nitty gritty detail and the gap between is long enough so that I can usually find some practice time. However, there is exactly nil expectation of progress when I go to a lesson, which is as it should be for adults with a busy life - flexibility being the key. Love it - and I am ever so gradually learning to see what he sees...

Probably worth a flight from Hamburg to Cardiff once a month... ;\)

#1108968 - 02/11/09 06:09 AM Re: Weekly Lessons - is there a REAL alternative?
dukeofhesse Offline

Loc: wilmington nc
I agree with Betty that small increments of time invested in learning to play the piano can pay off big time. What I don't agree with is the implication that a teacher is required for that investment.

Although the money going into the bank may be somewhat greater with a teacher - to follow the investment analogy - any investment at all will increase one's assets.

I try to find time to practice every day and in two months without a teacher, I am two thirds through the Alfred's self teaching book. And I'm loving it.

So once again, if you can afford the time and money for a teacher, great, but it is not the only route for many of us.

#1108969 - 02/11/09 09:10 AM Re: Weekly Lessons - is there a REAL alternative?
ProdigalPianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix Metro, AZ
I wasn't sure how my post would be read so I'm relieved it seems to have been taken by all in the manner I intended ;\)

I, personally, know that a teacher (and an advanced one at that) is required for me to make progress with which I am satisfied. As I took lessons for much of my childhood and majored in music ed (altho I wasn't able to complete the degree for other reasons) I have a pretty traditional view of what is necessary for _me_ to feel I am playing well and making progress.

So I will "keep on keepin' on." Unfortunately the economic situation has hit my place of work very hard and mandatory unpaid overtime is going to continue. If I don't get the job done I will lose it. Of course if I do get the job done I might lose it anyway (sigh). I just hope that I won't have to cancel many more lessons at the last minute when the boss says "it has to be done tonight"

My only domestic quality is that I live in a house.

#1108970 - 02/11/09 10:16 AM Re: Weekly Lessons - is there a REAL alternative?
packa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
 Quote:
Originally posted by dukeofhesse:
I agree with Betty that small increments of time invested in learning to play the piano can pay off big time. What I don't agree with is the implication that a teacher is required for that investment.

Although the money going into the bank may be somewhat greater with a teacher - to follow the investment analogy - any investment at all will increase one's assets.

I try to find time to practice every day and in two months without a teacher, I am two thirds through the Alfred's self teaching book. And I'm loving it.

So once again, if you can afford the time and money for a teacher, great, but it is not the only route for many of us. [/b]
It's probably true that any investment at all is better than nothing, but at my age time is often more important than money. Could I quit lessons and work on my own with some good results? Sure. Can I make more progress more quickly with a teacher. No question.

I don't want to look back on each year of study and say "Well, I did okay but I could have done more". Once it's gone I can't get the year back, but if I can can get more for it with the expense and scheduling hassles of regular lessons, it's an easy decision for me right now.
Estonia L168 #1718

#1108971 - 02/11/09 10:49 AM Re: Weekly Lessons - is there a REAL alternative?
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
ProdigalPianist:
I hope that you didn't take my comment as meaning that anything less than "daily" would be a waste of time. I understand fully what you are going through. You can only do your best given your situation. And I'm sure your teacher feels that something is better than nothing as well. It sounds as though you aren't quite happy with things either, and that is a concern. Don't pressure yourself to do the impossible...it will only add to your frustration.

On a side note, have you ever thought about using a crock pot for dinner? There are tons of great recipes that take very little time to prepare, and you come home to a meal already cooked after a long day! \:\)
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1108972 - 02/11/09 10:59 AM Re: Weekly Lessons - is there a REAL alternative?
cruiser Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cornwall, England
 Quote:
Originally posted by LaValse:
Yes, there are real alternatives. I have a 2-3 hour lesson once every 4 weeks - this suites me fine. The lesson is long enough to get into some nitty gritty detail and the gap between is long enough so that I can usually find some practice time. However, there is exactly nil expectation of progress when I go to a lesson, which is as it should be for adults with a busy life - flexibility being the key. Love it - and I am ever so gradually learning to see what he sees...

Probably worth a flight from Hamburg to Cardiff once a month... ;\) [/b]
...once a month would be a little too expensive for me LaValse ;\) But, you've guessed it, I'm still having problems finding that elusive 'right' teacher for me :rolleyes:

#1108973 - 02/11/09 11:42 AM Re: Weekly Lessons - is there a REAL alternative?
LaValse Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mumbles, Wales
Hi cruiser, I wondered if you'd read that \:\) - I'm having a lesson tomorrow and intend to ask him if he knows anybody in your area...

#1108974 - 02/11/09 03:39 PM Re: Weekly Lessons - is there a REAL alternative?
Mike Saville Offline

Loc: Cornwall, UK
 Quote:
Take piano lessons as often as possible - to do less than weekly produces a weak outcome.[/b]
Often as possible yes - but to suggest it needs to be every week IMO is wrong. I have seen some remarkable results from students who have fortnightly or even monthly lessons.

Quote:
Take piano lessons for as long as you can manage per lesson with one hour as a minimum - to do less than an hour lesson at a time again produces a weak outcome.[/b]
To suggest you should have 1 hour minimum is again wrong IMO. When at the RCM in London they didn't insist on 1hr lessons . . . very good outcomes can be gained from 30min lessons. In fact I would not suggest more than 30mins for anyone below about grade 5 standard.

Quote:
You are really holding yourself back when you don't commit wholely to piano lessons.[/b]
Are you suggesting that because someone doesn't have a 1hr piano lesson every week that they aren't commited?? 'Wholely commited' will depend on ther individual and their stage of life. A working person who has a 30 min lesson every week and practises every day is in my opinion commited - by your definition they are not . . . .

Quote:
If you let a good teacher mentor and guide you, you will get to your destination faster which in the long run saves you money and time and brings success and progress to your endeavor.

[/b]
Indeed. I completely agree here \:\)

I normally let differences of opinion pass (afterall that makes the world interesting ;\) ). However in this case I think some of your views are a bit insular and perhaps smack a little of elistism.

#1108975 - 02/11/09 04:51 PM Re: Weekly Lessons - is there a REAL alternative?
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Mike,

With 38 years under my belt of teaching I guess I do sound a little know it all and pompous and this creates argumentative discourse. What I'm using as information is my experiences and all that I know about piano study - there are pro's and con's to what's in the "all" I know. I work daily in my piano life and always have as there are many things to do done besides teaching the music page and the student.

There are many arrangements under which a piano teacher will teach. The one that I think works best for the adult student and teacher is the consistant one that paces and paves the way for a successful and progressive outcome.

quote: Originally posted by Betty Patnude:
"If you let a good teacher mentor and guide you, you will get to your destination faster which in the long run saves you money and time and brings success and progress to your endeavor." And, I''l add the part that you so completely agree with here: "Indeed. I completely agree here"

I think that what I am advocating here is effectiveness and efficiency, not elitism. And, I think most productive teachers wouldn't mind being called insular - is it an insult? I will hit the dictionary to see what you meant. And, I will read your "How to Practice" link, too. Then we'll talk again if necessary about "elite" and "insular".

Try remembering that if an adult student studied half an hour for 40 weeks - 52 weeks per year that would only give them 20 - 26 hours of time with the teacher per year. Do the math! Does that really seem adequate?

Betty

#1108976 - 02/11/09 05:18 PM Re: Weekly Lessons - is there a REAL alternative?
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
 Quote:
And, I think most productive teachers wouldn't mind being called insular [/b]
Well I would! I'd much rather be called open and eclectic, and flexible. I'm flexible with my adult students and it works for us. I reject the notion that half-hour lessons result in a "weak outcome". It's not the amount of time but what you do with it. My students are making solid progress, and they don't feel they have to beat themselves up if circumstances force them to miss a day's practice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
130 registered (ajames, Alux, albumblatter, AndrewJCW, 40 invisible), 1552 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75843 Members
42 Forums
156799 Topics
2303977 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Looking for an Android App....
by Ohio_Mark
08/20/14 09:17 AM
Jazz"y" improvisation/cover issues
by kobethuy
08/20/14 02:00 AM
Jazz"y" improvisation/cover issues
by kobethuy
08/20/14 01:33 AM
My Steinway M birth information.
by ciftwood
08/19/14 08:30 PM
Breathy tone
by JoelW
08/19/14 07:59 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission