Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 26 of 65 < 1 2 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 64 65 >
Topic Options
#1111213 - 02/02/09 01:19 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Rodney Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Caledon ON, Canada
I had a look and it appears that the song is in G Mixolydian (a kind of Bluesy upbeat scale). Major scale with the 7th note lowered a half step.

Take a look at my post on posted 03 August, 2005 12:27 PM in the Chord Voicing techniques (A Primer) thread.

Rodney

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1111214 - 02/02/09 01:38 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Thanks, Rodney! I fully intend to let it drop into dinner conversation tonight that I am playing a piece in the Mixolydian mode. \:D (Er, if I can even pronounce the word, that is.)

Let me ask a follow-up question that will reveal just how deep the depth of my ignorance is: If this piece is indeed in G, why not use the G major key signature and then natural the F's when they appear?

#1111215 - 02/03/09 10:46 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Rodney Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Caledon ON, Canada
You could always show a G major key signature with the F sharp and then flat that note every time, but why would you want to?

For example, would you want to write a song in A natural minor (Aeolian mode) with 3 sharps and then natural the 3rd, 6th and 7th every time they appear in the music? It's all about convenience and making the music less complex to read and interpret.

You could write any piece of music in any mode (relative to their major scale {which is in fact just the Ionian mode} ) and then mark the relative sharps and flats within the score, but this could become VERY combersome and difficult to read. Besides, understanding the mode of the piece, gives you a clue to the mood the composer was trying to convey with the music. This in turn is used in your interpretation and could reflect the manner in which you play it (tempo, amount of swing, dynamics, duration of a fermata, rubato, etc).

Rodney

#1111216 - 02/03/09 12:08 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Monica K. Offline

It makes sense to me that you would have fewer accidentals if you leave the piece in the C major key signature. But what confuses me is that if you do so, how does one easily tell that it's really G major Mixolydian mode and not C major? Or do you just have to look at the chord progressions and the fact that the G major chord is so prominent to deduce that it's not C major?

#1111217 - 02/03/09 01:15 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
NeNiRi Offline

Loc: Scotland
Hi all, I have new to this forum but share your passion for Einaudi. My name is Richard and my favourite tune is Le Onde. I really cant play anything else, i never had any lessons but i am now with a teacher and starting to learn properly.

To begin with i copied the hands of Smokey Joe and then tried to slowly work out the bits i missed with the help of the sheet music.

Id like to post my playing up for you guys but i have never done an upload before.

Can anyone help?

#1111218 - 02/03/09 02:13 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
NeNiRi Offline

Hi

I think I worked it out i used the box.

A word of warning a bit of the song is missing as i have not worked that bit out yet. Also there is the expected major flub 3/4 thru.

Hope you enjoy and comments welcome.

My attempt at Le Onde (link below)

http://www.box.net/shared/p5qier7n40

#1111219 - 02/03/09 03:20 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Monica K. Offline

Hey, NeNiRi, welcome to the forum!! I tried to play your recording but Windows Media Player wouldn't recognize the m4A file. \:\( Any chance you can resave it as an mp3 file?

#1111220 - 02/03/09 03:25 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
NeNiRi Offline

Yes Monica sorry il do that

#1111221 - 02/03/09 03:40 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
NeNiRi Offline

There you go Monica, ty for your welcome hopefully i can drill you and Kawigirl and the rest for some tips, as i plan on trying to learn some more pieces.

Le Onde mp3

http://www.box.net/shared/5t1oot7ium

#1111222 - 02/03/09 04:07 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Monica K. Offline

Thanks! If you've read much of this thread, you'll know that I am the *last* person to give you any tips on Le Onde because it has been my nemesis Einaudi piece.

I have to say I am extremely impressed by your playing if this is your very first (and so far only) piece you've ever played in piano.

#1111223 - 02/03/09 04:09 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
tekkie Offline

Loc: California
 Quote:
Originally posted by Monica K.:
But what confuses me is that if you do so, how does one easily tell that it's really G major Mixolydian mode and not C major? Or do you just have to look at the chord progressions and the fact that the G major chord is so prominent to deduce that it's not C major? [/b]
I looked at the chord progression, melody, and cadence to guess that it wasn't C Major. I think this should work in most cases. However, there could be ambiguities in some modes - see the "ambiguity" section on this Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lydian_mode

I've been looking into modes the last few days, and found they're more common than I thought. Wikipedia gives notable songs in each mode. I also recently signed up at Quiescence Music which teaches new age improv, and the instructor uses examples with modes, particularly D Dorian.

It'll be interesting to see how many of Einaudi's pieces use modes.

#1111224 - 02/03/09 04:33 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
NeNiRi Offline

Ty so much Monica, i have read through the forum and iv seen that you think Le Onde is your achilles heel but i have heard your other tracks and loved them.

It really is the only tune iv played more than a bar of but i have played it mb 2000 times its driving my wife nuts. So i will now put it down and start working on something else or mb the bits that are missing.

I loved your rendition of I due Fiumi and it might be the next one i try. (any tips on this?)

I like Giorni Dispari but i dont have the sheet music for that so it will have to wait.

Are you playing on a regular acousic or digital?

#1111225 - 02/03/09 08:55 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Monica K. Offline

I due Fiumi will be a cakewalk for you if you can play Le Onde that well.

You might as well go ahead and buy the "Best of" sheet music collection. It's a bargain at the price, and it sounds like you're hopelessly hooked on Einaudi like the rest of us. Besides, it could save your marriage. \:D

p.s. I have an acoustic, a Mason and Hamlin 5'8" grand. It was my midlife crisis indulgence. \:D

#1111226 - 02/04/09 05:31 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
NeNiRi Offline

Lovely must be nice. Im going to start on I Due Fiumi today. Ty for taking the time to chat. I look forward to contributing to the Einaudi chat.

;\)

#1111227 - 02/04/09 01:43 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
NeNiRi Offline

Monica or anyone who knows when do you pedal in I Due Fiumi?

It seems to suggets the first bar then stops??

sounds better with the pedal?

#1111228 - 02/04/09 02:10 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Monica K. Offline

A lot of times in Einaudi's music he just shows pedal marks for places where there might be some question about whether to pedal, and then he assumes you'll pedal all the rest naturally.

I pedal with chord changes throughout all Einaudi pieces, including I due fiumi.

#1111229 - 02/04/09 02:22 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Triryche Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
So I look up The Best of Einaudi on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Ludovico-Einaudi-Piano-Solo/dp/0634078917

Am I missing something or is this some type of ridiculous price gouging?

#1111230 - 02/04/09 02:25 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Kawaigirl1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
Hey NeNiRi, I haven't been here in awhile but glad I had checked in as I had a listen to you play Le Onde and you've done a fantastic job

Monica, hope you guys have your electricity back and that everything is back to normal.

flickr

#1111231 - 02/04/09 02:55 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Edinburgh
 Quote:
Originally posted by Triryche:

Am I missing something or is this some type of ridiculous price gouging? [/b]
I find the 'used or new' prices on amazon quite erratic. Sometimes you can get something much cheaper, other times you react like:

[One of my favourite cd's is currently on amazon.co.uk for around $300. Definately an ]

Have a look around - maybe musicroom.com has the book?

#1111232 - 02/04/09 02:59 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Center City, MN
 Quote:
Originally posted by Triryche:

Am I missing something or is this some type of ridiculous price gouging? [/b]
Ouch. Looks like it is out of stock on amazon for now. I hope they will get it back in stock soon. The current low price from a third party seller is $98.98 with the other one over $300. I doubt anybody will be buying that one any time soon. I almost wonder if they meant to list it for something just over $30 but messed up with that one. I wonder how much my autographed version would be worth even though I wouldn't sell it now. \:\)

There is one other sheet music collection that Einaudi has out but I don't think it has as much in it as the Best Of collection.

#1111233 - 02/04/09 03:00 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Triryche Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
 Quote:
Originally posted by Euan Morrison:
Have a look around - maybe musicroom.com has the book? [/b]
Yeah, I found many sources for under $30.

#1111234 - 02/04/09 03:38 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
NeNiRi Offline

Ty Kawai Girl

May i say you play rather well yourself!!!(to put it mildly)

Do you memorize the tracks and play? or sight read?

#1111235 - 02/04/09 03:40 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
NeNiRi Offline

Hi to Euan too, i like your music also. Are you a Scot, im from Aberdeen?

#1111236 - 02/04/09 03:51 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
NeNiRi Offline

Oops forgot to say tx to Monica for pedal tips

il shut up now

#1111237 - 02/04/09 04:11 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Monica K. Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Euan Morrison:
[One of my favourite cd's is currently on amazon.co.uk for around $300. Definately an ] [/b]
Okay, I'll admit to being curious enough to bite: What CD is that, Euan?

#1111238 - 02/04/09 04:31 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

NeNiRi - Hi to you too. Yeah, I'm living in Fife and working in Edinburgh at the moment. Spent 5 happy years at uni in Aberdeen, though! Which part of the city are you from?

Monica - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Memoryhouse/dp/B000067UCZ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1233782997&sr=8-1

It's the Max Richter album Memoryhouse. It went out of 'print', but it gets re-issued next month \:\)

#1111239 - 02/04/09 04:34 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Monica K. Offline

Okay, I already have it, phew. (If I didn't, I would've had to order it, as I am confident that I would love an album that was designated as "Euan's favorite," whatever that may turn out to be. \:\) )

Incidentally, I just ordered Preisner's "Requiem for My Friend." What other albums of his would you recommend?

#1111240 - 02/04/09 04:57 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Monica K.:
Okay, I already have it, phew. (If I didn't, I would've had to order it, as I am confident that I would love an album that was designated as "Euan's favorite," whatever that may turn out to be. \:\) )

Incidentally, I just ordered Preisner's "Requiem for My Friend." What other albums of his would you recommend? [/b]
Geez, I'm blushing now! In fact, Memoryhouse is my actual favourite. I love the darkness of it. Plus it was a 'blind buy', I bought it without listening first and I still remember the first time I put it in the stereo.

I don't have the Requiem album actually. It's more vocal music. With Preisner, I definately recommend the '10 Easy Pieces for Piano', or 'Preisner's Music' which is a sort-of 'best of'.

#1111241 - 02/06/09 01:52 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Center City, MN
Since we've had the Einaudi thread dug up recently, I'll add that there are some excellent videos of a recent concert from Italy with Ludovico Einaudi and Ballake Sissoko doing songs from the album "Diario Mali" along with Ludovico doing a few solo pieces. I made a playlist on youtube in order to allow easy access to all the songs and to enable them to be played easily in order. Out of the solo pieces, track 8 is interesting as it may be a work in progress of a piece for Ludovico's upcoming album. It doesn't sound familiar at all. There are two other pieces that don't sound very familiar (6 and 13) with Ballake Sissoko playing along. Some of those observations were made over on the Einaudi Forums. Anyway, enough babble. If you've got some great time I find these tracks make excellent background music.

Concert footage (13 videos worth)

Just note that I didn't take the videos so feel free to leave a thank you for the person that did take the time to record and upload these.

#1111242 - 02/06/09 08:28 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Monica K. Offline

Thanks, Anthony!! It's helpful to have them all put together in a playlist. \:\)

Last night I bought an Einaudi soundtrack off iTunes: "Sotto Falso Nome." I'm sometimes a bit leery of soundtracks, but this one is well worth buying if you're an Einaudi fan. It's more minimalist in tone (mostly... though there's also at least one TECHNO track! ), and definitely more brooding and ominous and haunting in tone. I have no idea what the movie is about, but I'm guessing it's some dark psychological thriller.

Page 26 of 65 < 1 2 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 64 65 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The 2 Most Common Questions Conundrum
by chernobieff
10/21/14 02:44 PM
Heroic Polonaise help please...
by ChopinLives81
10/21/14 02:28 PM
Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall
by Works1
10/21/14 12:53 PM
Steinway event
by Radio.Octave
10/21/14 11:18 AM
Some Questions About "Piano Magic"
by newbert
10/21/14 10:58 AM
Who's Online
153 registered (A Guy, accordeur, alfredo capurso, ajames, 40 invisible), 1797 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76608 Members
42 Forums
158400 Topics
2326089 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission