Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 65 1 2 3 ... 64 65 >
Topic Options
#1110463 - 11/11/06 07:09 PM Ludovico Einaudi
NancyM333 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Roswell, Georgia
I sent Monica's beautiful recording of Nefeli to a friend who would really like to play this piece now. I checked out the sheet music (Monica, you're right, it is pricey), and I found the Eden Roc book for $13 or The Best of Einaudi for $23. Both have Nefeli in it. I am wondering if any of you have played other pieces by him and whether it would be worth it to get the "best of" book. Maybe it would be too many similar pieces, I don't know.

Nancy

Estonia 168, Yamaha UX3

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1110464 - 11/11/06 07:20 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Edinburgh
Hi Nancy,

Is this the book you are thinking of:

http://www.musicroom.com/images/catalogue/fullsize/m215106598.jpg

If so, then its a better buy than the Eden Roc book alone. The 'Best of' book has all the sheets from Eden Roc, in addition to two other complete albums' worth.

Also, $23 is a ridiculously cheap price for it. I paid around 55 for my copy. (money well-spent, though \:\) )

#1110465 - 11/11/06 09:59 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
NancyM333 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'm wondering if this is the same one. There's no picture on this one (Amazon), but it says it's 175 pages. It was originally $34.95. I saw something like it for over $50 too, so I'm a little confused. I'm glad to hear that even at $55 you are pleased. It must be good.

Nancy

Estonia 168, Yamaha UX3

#1110466 - 11/12/06 06:27 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yes, 175 pages is about right.

Thats a really good price! Recommended, because if your friend likes the music and wants to look in Einaudi further, the music is already there.

#1110467 - 11/12/06 10:15 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
 Quote:
Originally posted by NancyM333:
I am wondering if any of you have played other pieces by him and whether it would be worth it to get the "best of" book. Maybe it would be too many similar pieces, I don't know.
[/b]
I think it's well worth the extra $10 to get the bigger book. As to the question of whether it has "too many similar pieces," well, that depends on the listener. Einaudi does have a distinctive, rather minimalist style. I love it, and I want to play it all. But someone who doesn't like his music would say it all sounds alike.

#1110468 - 11/12/06 10:21 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
gmm1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Spokane WA
Could someone point me (or post)someone doing something by Einadui please?

I am interested in anyone who has a "rather minimalist style" for some unknown reason.

Thanks

#1110469 - 11/12/06 10:54 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Monica K. Offline

Well, here's my recording of Nefeli that Nancy was talking about:

"Nefeli" by Ludovico Einaudi, recorded on Zoom H4

Check out Euan's recital pieces, too; he's done several by Einaudi. The latest was Limbo , which is very minimalist.

And here's kawaigirl's rendition of "Una Mattina," which may be the most minimalist of Einaudi's works:

"Una Mattina" performed by Kawaigirl

Or, go straight to the horse's mouth... here's a thread Euan started that has a link to a 35-min video of Einaudi himself.

#1110470 - 11/12/06 11:17 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
gmm1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Spokane WA
Wow - cannot believe I am this lame. Thanks Monica for the files - ever since my horrible system crash last month when I lost all my music files, my brain does not seem to work either.

Many thanks to Monica, Euan and Kawaigirl1 for posting. This guy is good. Looks like I have another book on the way....

BTW, I also need to start a "composer" file as well, as I can't seem to make the connection...oh, well.

Thanks again

#1110471 - 11/12/06 12:26 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
NancyM333 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the link to the earlier thread, Monica. I haven't had a chance to watch the video yet, but I did listen to Euan and Kawaigirl's pieces, and I liked them a lot. I can see what you mean about thinking they sound alike if you don't like his music, but for me sometimes that's only a first impression. It takes me several "listenings" of many pieces before I really can begin to find the things that stand out about it. "Nefeli" really jumped out at me the first time I heard it from Monica, so I imagine I will enjoy lots of his things. I think I'll recommend that my friend get the larger book, and I can split the cost with her if it seems too much.

Right now I'm working on the theme to the movie "The Piano," and these pieces remind me a bit of that.

Euan and Kawaigirl: Really nice job on those recordings. It must be hard to keep steady on his pieces because it would be so noticeable to change rhythm, but you both sound great.

Considering I'd never heard of Einaudi before this weekend and am now poised to be a fan, it makes me wonder what other great music I am ignorant of!

Nancy

Estonia 168, Yamaha UX3

#1110472 - 11/20/06 04:10 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
psychopianoman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Oklahoma
 Quote:
Originally posted by Monica Kern:
 Quote:
Originally posted by NancyM333:
I am wondering if any of you have played other pieces by him and whether it would be worth it to get the "best of" book. Maybe it would be too many similar pieces, I don't know.
[/b]
I think it's well worth the extra $10 to get the bigger book. As to the question of whether it has "too many similar pieces," well, that depends on the listener. Einadui does have a distinctive, rather minimalist style. I love it, and I want to play it all. But someone who doesn't like his music would say it all sounds alike. [/b]
That is funny. I let my piano teacher borrow my cd and she said it made her nervous and all the songs sounded the same.

I showed it to my mother as well and she looked like she wanted to puke!

I just do not get it. It all sounds different to me. Maybe I am just simple.

#1110473 - 11/20/06 05:23 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by psychopianoman:
That is funny. I let my piano teacher borrow my cd and she said it made her nervous and all the songs sounded the same.

I showed it to my mother as well and she looked like she wanted to puke!

I just do not get it. It all sounds different to me. Maybe I am just simple. [/b]
Haha, I'm curious as to why your teacher felt 'nervous' whilst listening. It has the opposite effect on many people, it relaxes them.

Certainly the left-hand patterns in Einaudi songs are very similar from album to album. Most of the time it is octave/9th arpeggios.

#1110474 - 11/21/06 01:09 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
psychopianoman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Oklahoma
I think the music carries a certain emotion with it and not all people like it. She said it made her not feel good.

It really is not her type of music though. She is strict old fashion gosple and blues.

#1110475 - 11/30/06 10:25 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: S. California
OK, I got so inspired by kgirl's in un altra vita, I decided I'd give it a try. Finally got the sheets today, and I have to say I'm even more impressed with you traditional sheet music players than I was before (you guys and gals must be schitzo masochists to play this stuff the traditional way)...holy crap there's a lot of notes \:D

I've broken down the chord structure and rearranged it as a fake sheet, inverted it all to hell, drop a bunch of notes and still just barely got it to sound like music; really love pages 2-3 with the bell-like melody. I think I'll take this on as a long term project, maybe improvise it a little once I get the melody down...

So, kudos to those of you who managed to play this the way it was written, I still think you're insane, but no more jokes about cristofori's dream

I'll post it if I ever get it to the point where I won't be laughed out of this forum, maybe in a year or two \:D

#1110476 - 11/30/06 11:24 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
Einaudi's music is really, really nice; one of my (new) favorites.

#1110477 - 12/01/06 03:32 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member

...better make that < or = 9 months, I've decided to take on funburger's challenge and deadline for this piece, my own arrangement.

Just spent all night working thru a couple of the passages, this music is amazing, transcendental, incandescent; I swear my brain's on drug when I play this thing, huh.

kawaigirl, thanks again for introducing me to this remarkable music.

Mr S-H, I totally agree with you, stuff like this makes life almost worth living.

#1110478 - 12/01/06 08:26 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Monica K. Offline

sid, I can't wait to hear your rendition of "un altra vita." Just one look at the sheet music was enough to convince me to put it away for a while... say, ten years. \:D

It's odd, I think it's you improvisers and play-by-ear folks who deserve the kudos! Following sheet music doesn't require much mental effort: Just play the notes as written. But to break the chord structure down and create a fake sheet and then try to improvise requires a solid grasp of music theory and a hearty dose of artistic creativity.

I like your description of Einaudi's music: "amazing, transcendental, incandescent." Yes!

#1110479 - 12/01/06 06:43 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member

monica,

If I could play this as originally written I would in a shot, but that's impossible at my current skill level, so improvise will initially mean simplify \:\)

Breaking it down will be easy compared to building it back up...but if everything works as planned then by the time I'm done I'll own this piece and can add things back to it over time. It should be educational in any event.

Wish me luck.

#1110480 - 12/01/06 07:23 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Kawaigirl1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
Hey Sid,

Monica took the words right out of my mouth in that I can't wait to hear your rendition of this piece. I've said it before about the fact that I envy all those who can improvise and play by ear.

flickr

#1110481 - 12/01/06 07:23 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Kawaigirl1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Oooops..double post

flickr

#1110482 - 12/02/06 05:08 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
text Offline

Loc: Windsor, United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I have just joined pianoworld. I have been lurking for a couple of weeks.

I was inspired to join pianoworld by kawaigirl1's performance of In Un'altra Vita. I just wanted to say how beautifully she played it. I had never heard of Einaudi and am going out to buy I Giorni today.

I also wanted to say how useful I am finding this forum. I have just ordered a Roland HP101e digital piano and just cannot wait for it to arrive (the forum helped me with my decision - along with a trip to my local piano store)

So when my piano arrives then the journey will begin. I have never really played piano, just tinkered. I played the organ when I was younger but have not really touched a keyboard for about 20 years.

I have to say that the forum topics that I have read have all been contributed to in such a positive and friendly manner. I am really pleased that I found this site. I hope to be able to add my contribution at some point.

text

Quote:
Originally posted by kawaigirl1:
Hey Sid,

Monica took the words right out of my mouth in that I can't wait to hear your rendition of this piece. I've said it before about the fact that I envy all those who can improvise and play by ear. [/b]

#1110483 - 12/02/06 03:32 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member

welcome, text, you've got great taste.

#1110484 - 12/02/06 03:49 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi text, welcome to the forum!

I'm sure you will enjoy the Einaudi album! And even better - he will be touring the UK next year to promote his new album \:\)

#1110485 - 12/02/06 04:24 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Kawaigirl1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Txs for listening and welcome to the forum text.

Einaudi's music is very addicting both listening and to play.

Enjoy

flickr

#1110486 - 12/02/06 04:26 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Monica K. Offline

Welcome, text! I was tempted to tell you to get the greatest hits Einaudi album, but then I realized that if you're like me you'll love it so much you'll go back and buy the individual albums, too. But Eden Roc and Una Mattina are heartbreakingly lovely, too.

#1110487 - 12/03/06 08:59 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
text Offline

Loc: Windsor, United Kingdom
Thank you all for the welcome.

I will keep an eye out for the tour thanks Euan.

Quote:
Originally posted by Euan Morrison:
Hi text, welcome to the forum!

I'm sure you will enjoy the Einaudi album! And even better - he will be touring the UK next year to promote his new album \:\) [/b]

#1110488 - 12/09/06 04:29 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Text, persevere, this music is really worth it.

I'm so excited tonight I can't sleep, finally had a (relatively) clean run and the music's starting to come thru and smooth out.

Thanks again, everyone for introducing me to this piece, and drawing me back to the sheet music, I've learned so much just trying to figure out how to play this. Things I thought were impossible are now doable and I can see it becoming easier with practice and time. Every morning I see an improvement, it's as if nanobots are busy at work forming new synapses while I'm asleep...I'm just so encouraged to see the visible progress and it's becoming a positive feedback loop (the better I get the more I want to play).

Most valuable lesson learned so far, never give up, never let a seemingly impossible piece daunt you, just keep picking away at it and the grey cells will do the rest.

And best of all, after working thru the piece so often, it's still as pretty as ever and has lost none of its charm.

#1110489 - 12/10/06 09:48 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
rocky Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, KY
Can anyone advise about what difficulty the pieces are in the "best of" book.....if they are advanced, I'd be wasting my money for sure....anything on the easy side?

#1110490 - 12/10/06 10:17 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Monica K. Offline

They vary in difficulty, rocky; some are pretty easy, others I'll be waiting a year or two to attempt. Maybe Euan and kawaigirl will have other suggestions, but I found "Limbo" very easy to learn, and "Una Mattina" looks bizarre but is actually not bad. "Nefeli" only has about 4 tough measures.

I think it's a book you could be working out of for ten years, starting with the easier pieces and then moving on. At least my goal is to eventually learn them all!

#1110491 - 12/10/06 10:34 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
rocky Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, KY
I may just have to order...guess "someday" I could play something from the book \:D

#1110492 - 12/11/06 02:12 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Rocky, I'm sure you will be fine with the music \:\)

There are pretty much no 'crazy' bits - no 128th note scales or large jumps. The left hand usually just plays repetitive chord arpeggios.

On the whole, its just pretty straightforward stuff.

Page 1 of 65 1 2 3 ... 64 65 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
146 registered (88 Fingers Jeff, A Guy, AB99, acortot, *windowlicker*, 47 invisible), 1472 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76001 Members
42 Forums
157159 Topics
2308174 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
September Piano Bar
by ladypayne
08/30/14 12:14 PM
Scarlatti Sonata K380 Emaj -- How Difficult?
by ClsscLib
08/30/14 11:14 AM
High pitched sound from Yamaha Clavinova PF P-100
by Shiverca
08/30/14 10:43 AM
Rusty strings- a silly question?
by PhilipInChina
08/30/14 08:59 AM
Yamaha "reconditioned in Japan"
by NanatoFour
08/30/14 08:44 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission