2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 63 of 119 1 2 61 62 63 64 65 118 119
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
(Grimly circles the dirt in front of him with his big toe...)

As I PM'd Monica and Anthony, this was not a good weekend for us. We missed the concert, spent the weekend ill (I originally included some details here, but it's better for all of us that I exclude those), then passed the illness along to our two youngest. Here we are Wednesday, and we're only now nearing 100%.

To top it off, this special night was supposed to be a bit of an anniversary present Sue and I gave to each other, as our 11th was October 8. So missing out was painful in many ways.

Two bits of good news: we're one less stomach flu away from our respective target weights, and it sounds like a good time was had by all.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Always Wanted to Play Piano
(Grimly circles the dirt in front of him with his big toe...)

As I PM'd Monica and Anthony, this was not a good weekend for us. We missed the concert, spent the weekend ill (I originally included some details here, but it's better for all of us that I exclude those), then passed the illness along to our two youngest. Here we are Wednesday, and we're only now nearing 100%.

To top it off, this special night was supposed to be a bit of an anniversary present Sue and I gave to each other, as our 11th was October 8. So missing out was painful in many ways.

Two bits of good news: we're one less stomach flu away from our respective target weights, and it sounds like a good time was had by all.

So sorry to hear that..

Side subject (I gironi) cursing
This semi-dyslexic stuff will kill me. I was all happy and almost ready to record when I watched Monica's video again. Then I went and looked at the sheet music again!

On the very last measures (end of 133 to end of 169) I had been playing..
(LH) D,F#,B - A,E,A - B,F#,B - G,D,B (10th stretch)

But now I see that is really is..
(LH) D,F#,B - A,E,A - B,F#,D! - G,D,B (2x10th stretches)

Now I've got to learn that tail section all over again frown and get some serious stretches in. I was actually doing very well with the G,D,B following the B,F#,B but now it's all going to change. At least is repeats for a few measures (sigh)

- SC

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
TTigg #1540673 10/22/10 01:14 AM

Do TV shows use Einaudi a lot as background music?

I'm pretty sure I heard Nightbook (or, 20 seconds of Nightbook) in tonight's episode of CSI (House of Hoarders).

drm13 #1540915 10/22/10 10:47 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
It seems that way.

A clip from the track Ascolta from Divenire was used at the end of the most recent Stargate Universe episode.

While I like that Einaudi's tracks get used I'm not sure it does much to attract fans because it is usually pretty difficult to find out where the music came from.

Roland FP-7 / Pianoteq 4.5.1
[Linked Image]

Yeah, thanks to IMDB I can tell you who was the gaffer, best boy and hair stylist for that episode, but I couldn't find any song credits.

Originally Posted by AnthonyB
It seems that way.

A clip from the track Ascolta from Divenire was used at the end of the most recent Stargate Universe episode.

While I like that Einaudi's tracks get used I'm not sure it does much to attract fans because it is usually pretty difficult to find out where the music came from.

TTigg #1541520 10/23/10 05:52 AM
G
G
Originally Posted by TTigg
This semi-dyslexic stuff will kill me. I was all happy and almost ready to record when I watched Monica's video again. Then I went and looked at the sheet music again!

Now I've got to learn that tail section all over again frown and get some serious stretches in. I was actually doing very well with the G,D,B following the B,F#,B but now it's all going to change. At least is repeats for a few measures (sigh)

- SC

This is the one I'm currently learning, but in that same bit I play it:

LH: D-A-D, A-E-A, B-F#-D, G-D-B

I haven't got the sheet music in front of me so I was wondering if I missed something...? As you have D-F#-B

Giano #1541554 10/23/10 07:18 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Giano
Originally Posted by TTigg

- SC

This is the one I'm currently learning, but in that same bit I play it:

LH: D-A-D, A-E-A, B-F#-D, G-D-B

I haven't got the sheet music in front of me so I was wondering if I missed something...? As you have D-F#-B

D-A-D is correct (geez I'm a wally).

SO... you're playing the B-F#-D, G-D-B? which is (for me anyhow) 2 large 10th stretches.. I've gone back to it and I may just play..

D,A,D - A,E,A - B,F#,B, G,D,G OR..
D,A,D - A,E,A - B,F#,B, G,D,B,

I'm all for the stretching and all but in the very last measures that sequence is played quite fast. I'll have to see how it goes..
- SC

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
G
G
Yeah I play the two 10ths. It's a pain, but recently my hands seem to have stretched considerably. About 4 months ago I found some 10ths exercises in a book I borrowed from someone and it was a joke. I can play them as block chords now though (well... only just).

I've been working on this one everyday for just over a week now and I nearly have it down (it's far from perfect though). I'm finding the faster bit with the 10ths ok because my hands have been teaching themselves where to go in the block chord section just before it where it seems much slower.

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
How much nice is this passage of "Giorni Dispari"?

from 2.00 to 2.24
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM93jXFgQvg

so nice I went on and on hundreds of times until I learnt it without being bored.
and so nice to be able to play it now! smile

A.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

I did the same thing when I first started working on that piece, ashat. smile The bridge toward the end (4:00 - 4:25 on the video you linked) is my other favorite part of the piece... those ethereal high notes, coming out of nowhere and going nowhere, just send a chill down my spine. heart

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Monica K.
I did the same thing when I first started working on that piece, ashat. smile The bridge toward the end (4:00 - 4:25 on the video you linked) is my other favorite part of the piece... those ethereal high notes, coming out of nowhere and going nowhere, just send a chill down my spine. heart

Yes, I like it very much too!

Curiosly I am in trouble with an apparently easy part, the right hand in 1.34 - 2.00.
The 3 fingers vs 1, argh!

But I will find a way. smile

A.

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Sorry, I actually couldn't resist to share this record of my preferred sections of Giorni Dispari.

I am playing just since 2 months now and my recording abilities are even elementary, but hope you all enjoy.

And obviously any comment is appreciated.

http://web.mclink.it/MD3012/P85/odds_4.mp3

smile

A.

Last edited by ashat; 11/09/10 08:12 PM.
M
M
Exciting news on the Einaudi front: A while back Anthony alerted me to the fact that a new live album for Einaudi will be released soon. It's coming out on November 1, and it's called the "Royal Albert Hall concert" and was recorded last March. Here's the track listing:

The most exciting thing is that the European version of the album includes Einaudi's first-ever DVD recording of the concert. yippie But when you go to amazon.com, apparently all they're issuing is a one-CD version, audio only. And even that is downright expensive; they're listing it as an out of stock import with a price of $48. But if you go to amazoddn.co.uk and order it from the Brits, you get the 2 CD + 1 DVD ersion for only about $25 bucks, shipping to the states included. I'm guessing the DVD format won't be compatible with US video players, but you should be able to play it on a computer okay. (At least, I have played European formatted DVDs on my computer in the past, so I'm banking on it working this time.)

Just got mine out of the mail box 30min ago. Looking at Tu Sei now. They show a great closeup shots of his hands while he is playing.

BTW the DVD does work in the computer.

Last edited by MartinJB; 11/09/10 09:19 PM.

"Music is the shorthand of emotion."
Leo Tolstoy
[Linked Image]
achat #1554607 11/09/10 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by ashat
Sorry, I actually couldn't resist to share this record of my preferred sections of Giorni Dispari.

I am playing just since 2 months now and my recording abilities are even elementary, but hope you all enjoy.

smile

A.

I think you're doing incredibly well for only two months of piano experience. thumb

As for the 3-note chords vs. 1 in the right hand section, I always found that part difficult. You've got to squeeze your fingers in between the black keys to play it well, and it took me a very long time before I stopped messing the chords up. One thing that helped me was to consciously try to pivot my hand like a see-saw, in other words, try to rotate your wrist rather than depress the fingers down individually, if that makes any sense.

Originally Posted by MartinJB
Just got mine out of the mail box 30min ago. Looking at Tu Sei now. They show a great closeup shots of his hands while he is playing.

BTW the DVD does work in the computer.

Oh man, I've been so busy with work I haven't had time to watch the show. (And for some inexplicable reason, when it was time for us to pick a family movie to watch over the weekend, my nomination of the Einaudi DVD was voted down. confused )

I have, however, listened to the CD portion of the box set several times. One of the highlights so far for me is the improvised transition between Lady Labyrinth and Nightbook on the first CD. The only disappointment is that he did not play the coda on "I due fiumi." I was hoping to hear the even newer variation he played in Milwaukee, but it was not meant to be.

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by ashat

smile

A.

I think you're doing incredibly well for only two months of piano experience. thumb

Hi Monica,

thanks for your positive comment.
Sure you are not "too positive" because you like too much this piece and these specific subsections? smile
If I hear at it I find a lot of mistakes... something like left hand notes not enough well-defined...

As for the 3-note chords vs. 1 in the right hand section, I always found that part difficult. You've got to squeeze your fingers in between the black keys to play it well, and it took me a very long time before I stopped messing the chords up. One thing that helped me was to consciously try to pivot my hand like a see-saw, in other words, try to rotate your wrist rather than depress the fingers down individually, if that makes any sense.

I will surely try. I actually stopped worrying about it and just play the corrisponding single note when I want to play the whole piece smile It is the only missing part...

But if I want to complete it for the recital I have to fix this. Maybe not enough time, but let see. Thanks!

A.

Prompted by all the chat about concerts and live cds/dvds I have just checked the tour dates and have discovered Einaudi is in my neck of the woods at the end of November [excitedly grabbing the phone to get my tickets] laugh

I do recall reading a fan's review of the La Scala cd where they had one minor criticism (if it could even be called a criticism). They said that his live performance was so skilled that it almost perfectly replicated the studio recordings on the albums and the audience were so quiet until the polite applause at the end of each piece. So as it became difficult to determine whether you were listening to a live or studio recording they wondered whether the purchase had been worth it.

So I wondered, is this a bad thing or not? Most bands cannot reproduce their studio sound in a live concert but skilled pianists certainly can. When we see somebody like Einaudi live do we want to hear our favourites performed accuratley such as how they appear on the albums (they are, afterall, the arrangements that originally inspired our interest) or would we prefer alternative enhanced arrangements?

I'm kind of torn between the two ideas. On one hand, I've been to different kinds of shows over the years where they ruined a favourite by doing an alternative version mad . At the same time, I can see that sometimes a performance needs to be kept fresh and, as originally suggested, not to sound exactly like the album recording.

cgyan, I can understand where people are coming from in discussing the La Scala CD. The show on that CD was actually rather atypical of his usual live performances, in that he basically performed his pieces, discretely, much as they sound on the albums. But the live performances I've seen, and heard others (e.g., Euan) talking about that they've seen, are much different, with the pieces having improvised beginnings and endings and merged together into long medleys. The Albert Hall CD is more like that, too.

Like you, I enjoy hearing the variations. heart

Well, I'm looking forward to listening to the Albert Hall recording as I see from videos online that he is accompanied by a small orchestra which I suppose he needed if he is to do the tracks from Nightbook justice. It's also interesting to see how his other pure solo pieces are embellished with the orchestra. I'm hoping the shows he performs here in the UK will follow suit and will feature the orchestra.

I think ultimatley its nice to hear a slight variation in a live performance if only to distinguish it from the recording in the ways that you mention (improvised beginnings/endings etc) as long as it doesn't deviate completly from the original. Years ago I went to see a popular band and in the encore they did their 'big hit', usually an up-beat, lively pop song. This time they did it as a slow, warbling ballad that made the audience look at each other with mixed expressions... shocked

Heck, for my first time seeing Einaudi, I'd be chuffed just to hear him play Chopsticks! smile

My hubby gave me an iPhone for my birthday, and I have been trying to figure out how to use it. My project today was to create a custom ringtone. And what better music to use for a ringtone than Einaudi?!? heart

So I recorded a brief snippet of "Divenire," converted it to mp3, and then used a site I found on the web (Myxer) that promised it wouldn't charge me any kind subscription fee to convert the mp3 file to a ringtone. (I'm crossing my fingers and hoping this will turn out to be the case, but I always get a little nervous clicking on those "accept terms and conditions" boxes, even if I've read them.) After a little bit of experimenting I figured out how to get the ringtone into iTunes and then onto my phone. So now whenever anybody calls me, I hear this:

http://www.box.net/shared/lyh7icce3x

Page 63 of 119 1 2 61 62 63 64 65 118 119

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission