Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 28 of 65 < 1 2 ... 26 27 28 29 30 ... 64 65 >
Topic Options
#1172108 - 03/31/09 03:12 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Rodney]
Thorium Offline

Loc: Norway
I'd never heard of Ludovico Einaudi! Thanks! Lovely music. Reminds me of Philip Glass'. And great job, Monica!

Edited by Thorium (03/31/09 03:13 PM)
Michael Nyman - The Heart Asks Pleasure First (great finger exercise!)

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1172109 - 03/31/09 03:14 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Euan Morrison]
Tar Offline

Loc: Munich, Germany
Hi NeNiRi,

Beautifully played! I second the praises you've had above, well deserved! It's really refreshing to hear Einaudi (or indeed, any equivalent style) played well: the music may be simple to learn but it's this very simplicity that makes it so difficult to pull off a good performance.

My comments
1) Maybe a little less when you're "resolving". Whenever you're returning from A minor to B you tend to crescendo. To my ears it should be the other way round: it's much more magical when the "home" chord is less.

2) The rubato was getting quite "predictable" after a while. It might be because the music is repetitive and each time the same passage occurs you apply the same rubato (was that the intent?). Maybe a little creativity at this front will boost from a "beautiful" performance of this piece to an "breathtaking" one.

3) A matter of taste: a little less left hand would be so nice.

4) Again, a matter of taste: two instances of the passage with the F6->G->D progression (1:13, 3:42). Your interpretation says that the F6 chord should be important and therefore there should be a crescendo leading to it and a diminuendo away from it. Another way to show your appreciation of that beautiful harmony is to actually diminuendo into that F6. Again, it makes people listen harder. And since there're two instances, maybe do the first one with a dim and the second with a cresc?

I think the general observation is that less is more in a case like this. A lot of what I've said are my personal taste. In any case, I think it was superbly performed. Congratulations!
verbis defectis musica incipit

#1172157 - 03/31/09 04:36 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Tar]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Thanks for the nice words, Thorium, and welcome to the forum! smile If you make your way through this mega-thread, you will be a hard-core Einaudi fan. thumb I agree that his music is reminiscent of Glass's, but even prettier, in the sense of being more melodic.

Rodney, I'm away from my piano, but I'll try to take a look tonight and see what fingering I use for those measures. I *think* I use #2 but I have been woefully wrong before trying to recall fingering away from the piano. grin

#1172287 - 03/31/09 09:06 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Monica K.]
Monica K. Offline

Hey Rodney... I just sat down at the bench. Forget what I said about using #2. The fingering I *actually* use isn't one of your options. Instead, I play:

5-1-4-1-2-1, or p-t-r-t-i-t, exactly the same as Euan. smile

[Monica swears NEVER to answer a fingering question away from the piano again. blush ]

#1172377 - 04/01/09 01:20 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Monica K.]
drm13 Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
Hi,

I recently caught Einauditis. Having read several people comparing his music to Glass's, I thought I'd check him out too. I listened to snippets of several songs, and formed the opinion that shattering glass sounds closer to Einaudi than Philip Glass. Is there a certain album of his I should check out or should I wait for the Ludovico virus to subside?

Thanks,

Dave

#1172507 - 04/01/09 09:12 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: drm13]
Monica K. Offline

Welcome to the forum, drm13, and welcome to Eindaudi addiction. smile You can start with the "Echoes" best of collection, or the La Scala concert (which I think is almost better), but I must warn you that Einaudi addiction is a progressive disease, and you will find yourself wanting to buy everything he ever recorded, not to mention paying large sums of money to fly across the country to hear him play live... grin

Actually, the Echoes collection was released before his latest albums, which are some of his best, so you might want to buy Una Mattina or Divenire instead of that. Or in addition to. wink

#1173129 - 04/02/09 10:20 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Monica K.]
drm13 Offline

Hi Monica,

Sorry, my post was confusing. I did already purchase a few Einaudi CDs (Le Onde, I Giorni), and I'm saving my pennies for more. My question was more about Glass -- Which of Glass's CDs remind people of Einaudi, because to me they are like night & day.

Thanks,

Dave

#1173167 - 04/02/09 11:46 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: drm13]
Thorium Offline

Loc: Norway
drm13,

Some of his works for larger ensembles are very "out there", true, but the stuff for solo piano has much of the same elegant simplicity as Einaudi's, IMO. Glass is bit darker though, and perhaps more dissonant, and probably a truer example of Minimalism.

Have you heard his Etudes, and the Metamorphosis piano cycle?
Michael Nyman - The Heart Asks Pleasure First (great finger exercise!)

#1173791 - 04/03/09 11:57 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Thorium]
drm13 Offline

No, I will go hunt them down. Thx, Thorium.

#1173846 - 04/03/09 01:50 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: drm13]
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Edinburgh
drm13,

I really like the music he wrote for the film The Hours:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R-bDSAl6ME

Edited by Euan Morrison (04/03/09 01:55 PM)
Edit Reason: changed link

#1181058 - 04/15/09 05:12 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Euan Morrison]
Always Wanted to Play Piano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
Good news and bad news on my progress on Le Onde. The good news is that I think I learned how to make it more musical. He (and those of you who play it so nicely) undergoes dynamic changes within phrases, in order to accentuate the sensation of wavelike movement. Starting in the very first measure, he crescendo's pretty significantly starting at the beginning of the measure, through the end of it. Then quiet again to begin the second measure, crescendo through it, and so forth. Conversely, in measure 5, the dynamics fall as the measure progresses. The D,C#,A progression gets progressively quiet as the measure progresses, then the pattern repeats. I am sure you all picked up on this a long time ago, but for me, it was a revelation.

Now the bad news: upon discovering this, I basically am in a position of completely relearning the piece. There is no way on God's green earth I will have it ready six weeks from now, for my piano teacher's annual student recital. Maybe good enough to play it for my children, but certainly not good enough to play it in public, in front of people I don't know.

Returning my attention, then, to IDF, which I always knew I could fall back on, should I need it.

Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/

#1181199 - 04/15/09 10:43 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Always Wanted to Play Piano]
Monica K. Offline

Welcome to the "got my butt kicked by Le Onde club." grin

In all seriousness, I think your realization may be a blessing in disguise. "I due fiumi" is a much safer bet to play in a high stress context like a recital, and imo it's even prettier than "Le Onde." I'm sure your teacher and the other audience members will love it. thumb

#1188322 - 04/27/09 12:50 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Monica K.]
Monica K. Offline

Oh boy! I just got an email announcing the May 12 release date of Einaudi's next album, Cloudland, as part of the new group he formed with Robert & Ronald Lippok called "Whitetree."

http://media.hmusa.com/listeningparty/whitetree/

If you click on that link it will bring up an ad along with a online player so you can hear snippets. It's a bit more experimental and ambient than his usual solo piano fare, but that won't stop me from buying it. wink

It looks like Whitetree will be performing live in New York (June 2) and L.A. (June 6), so any of you Einaudi fans lucky enough to live in or near those cities might want to look into it. I've already blown my budget for traveling to see Einaudi for the year, unfortunately.

#1188329 - 04/27/09 12:57 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Monica K.]
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Center City, MN
I've had the album downloaded from iTunes for ages now as I had an iTunes gift card from Christmas. (Besides, when you've got an iPod singed by Einaudi it should have his stuff on it!)

I will say that I find the album quite listenable and it's a good break from his normal work. I think I'll give it another listen later on today since I've been working hard on the recital piece and can use some tracks to take a break in between practice sessions.

#1188361 - 04/27/09 01:40 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: AnthonyB]
kennychaffin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Aurora, CO
I just got "Echos" over the weekend.

smile

#1188459 - 04/27/09 03:49 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: kennychaffin]
500 Post Club Member

Did anyone ever figure out the music for his experimental wanderings on the La Scala version of I Due Fiumi? Man, I like that part. Maybe my piano teacher and I can figure it out. She's good with stuff like that.

But I figured I would ask here first. Seems like this has come up before.

Casio Ap-200

#1188516 - 04/27/09 05:10 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Always Wanted to Play Piano]
Monica K. Offline

There was a thread about the La Scala version of I due fiumi on the Einaudi forum, in which nobody volunteered the transcription for the new coda, but I haven't checked it lately. I absolutely LOVE that version and am determined to play it one way or the other, but I would infinitely prefer it to be the lazy way (e.g., waiting for AW2PP's teacher to figure it out for us) vs. the hard way (e.g., me figuring it out for myself). wink

#1189273 - 04/28/09 05:26 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Monica K.]
500 Post Club Member

Uploading now to the iPod, Monica. Piano lessons are (checks clock) in 2 hours. We'll see how this goes.

My hope is that the patterns are simply excursions on themes developed elsewhere in the piece.

Casio Ap-200

#1189360 - 04/28/09 08:03 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Always Wanted to Play Piano]
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member

If you do manage to get just the notes for that section I could try to type them up into notation.

#1189389 - 04/28/09 08:57 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: AnthonyB]
500 Post Club Member

No luck this evening, we ran out of time. I'll try to work it out this week.

Casio Ap-200

#1190582 - 04/30/09 12:58 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Always Wanted to Play Piano]
Monica K. Offline

A thousand pardons if this video has already been posted here. (I tried searching for it and didn't find it, but I will be the first to admit that I have trouble working with this new search feature).

This is a video of Einaudi performing Divenire live. He evidently produced and posted the video himself, and it's very well done. I especially liked the still shots that were interspersed in the video. The video also does a good job of showing what a live performance by Einaudi is like--he merges sections of different pieces together into a medley.

Anyway, enjoy!

#1204839 - 05/23/09 08:56 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
Norah Offline

Loc: British Columbia
I purchased the single Le Onde and really enjoy playing it. It is quite surprising how in certain sections, the flow of notes suddenly fits perfectly into place. So now, I thought I would try I Due Fiumi. I have tried to locate a download online and through my local music store but can't find it. Is it only available in a book? I probably will buy the book in September but would like to have IDF now to work on over the summer. And....so I don't sound like an idiot, how do you pronounce his name?

#1204878 - 05/23/09 10:02 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Norah]
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Welcome to the Einaudi thread Norah.

His first name is pretty much how you would think it would sound. The last name sort of sounds like "Eye-now-di"

I didn't have much luck looking for a digital download of "I Due Fiumi" on many of the popular online music stores. I will say it is in the "Best of Ludovico Einaudi" book that is available from Amazon. It looks like it runs just over $25 Canadian. Quite a steal for 36 songs worth of sheet music. I got it right when I started learning piano as I wanted some encouragement.

I would rather invest in getting the whole book before you spend a bunch on single sheet scores that will end up in a book you might purchase anyway! smile

Plus, you might get done learning I Due Fiumi well before the summer is over! Then whatever would you do?

#1205150 - 05/24/09 04:02 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: AnthonyB]
Monica K. Offline

I agree with Anthony. If you've polished up Le Onde, I due fiumi will be a cakewalk. "The best of" book is a tremendous bargain. It contains the sheet music to all the pieces on his first three albums. And there's not a clunker in the bunch. thumb

#1207554 - 05/28/09 03:53 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: NancyM333]
Norah Offline

Loc: British Columbia
Thank you Anthony and Monica for your replies. Perhaps I should buy the book this summer. And....I hope I didn't give anyone the impression that I had mastered Le Onde. lol. Far from it!

#1215853 - 06/11/09 02:26 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Norah]
500 Post Club Member

I posted my recital clip (I Due Fiumi, played last Friday):

http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/2009/06/my-recital-piece.html

Casio Ap-200

#1215905 - 06/11/09 04:19 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Always Wanted to Play Piano]
Monica K. Offline

Oh, I'm so glad you posted this, AW2PP!! I had forgotten exactly when your recital was, but I was thinking the other day that it was right around now.

I know you said in your blog that you were shaking the whole time, but I can tell you that it sure isn't noticeable to the audience! You look very calm, and very focused! I thought you did a great job... only a minor bobble here or there, which people not familiar with the piece probably wouldn't have noticed.

What a huge rite of passage for you! Congratulations! thumb And how nice that you were able to share the experience with Jillian. (Who looks like an angel in those photos on your blog, by the way. smile )

#1215958 - 06/11/09 06:05 PM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Monica K.]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Congratulations! I'll have to admit that the first thing I did was laugh, because I always laugh when people are twice my height laugh Then I saw your notice about the NBA. I'm more Jillian's size, myself. But both of you were great!

Cathy

#1216156 - 06/12/09 03:05 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: jotur]
Sundew Offline

Loc: England
That was very nice AW2PP. The more I hear this piece the more it grows on me.Thanks for sharing. :o)

#1216239 - 06/12/09 09:33 AM Re: Ludovico Einaudi [Re: Sundew]
500 Post Club Member

Thanks, all!

I'm now in a "Now what?" phase. Over the last month, I have been spending most of my piano time working on IDF. I let Alfred's Book 2 slide, and I haven't been working on any fun pieces. I've tinkered a little with I Giorni, seems approachable enough.

Casio Ap-200

Page 28 of 65 < 1 2 ... 26 27 28 29 30 ... 64 65 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
97 registered (a-z0-9, angga888, AndrewJCW, 28 invisible), 1283 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75498 Members
42 Forums
156114 Topics
2292531 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Franz Liszt - Un Sospiro
by sislermi
16 minutes 5 seconds ago
Need advice on buying a Yamaha Disklavier
by Lady
Today at 01:17 AM
Surge protection?
by TX-Bluebonnet
Today at 12:01 AM
Opening up an old Piano
by musicNow
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Unusual Big Key Depth Yamaha Motif Xs7
by Ivan Jochner
Yesterday at 10:55 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission