2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 33 of 119 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 118 119
#1111103 11/06/08 02:34 AM
Originally posted by Monica K.:
Originally posted by Carol I.:
[b] Anthony, that was beautiful!

Ditto! I gotta say that what you call "messing around" with a piece I call "just about ready to record." laugh [/b]
Ditto Ditto laugh

#1111104 11/06/08 09:59 AM

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Originally posted by Danny Niklas:
I think we could invent a new beginner learning method based on Einaudi music alone. It is based on the three most important patterns of music (arpeggios, chords and scales), it is slow enough but require a steady rhythm, it is that beautiful to trigger motivation and boost self-esteem, it requires a great care for dynamic and phrasing.

...Would you choose Einaudi over Bastien?
In a heartbeat!! In fact, I already did!! laugh

Of course, asking that question on the Einaudi thread will probably get you a biased sample of replies. wink

But I think this is a terrific idea, Danny. thumb I can envision a book entitled something like "Learning with Ludo" (well, maybe that's *not* such a good name... laugh ) that would be geared toward the adult/teen learner. It could come with a companion CD that people would actually want to play outside of lessons, just for listening pleasure. Given Einaudi's popularity in Europe, I'm guessing such a curriculum would be a good seller there. And you're right: Einaudi's music is ideally suited for teaching arpeggios and chords (less so for scales, imo) as well as Alberti-like bass patterns.

And I think it would be particularly appealing to people to be able to start playing "real" music very very early on.

#1111105 11/06/08 10:40 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Danny Niklas:
[b] I think we could invent a new beginner learning method based on Einaudi music alone. It is based on the three most important patterns of music (arpeggios, chords and scales), it is slow enough but require a steady rhythm, it is that beautiful to trigger motivation and boost self-esteem, it requires a great care for dynamic and phrasing.

...Would you choose Einaudi over Bastien?
In a heartbeat!! In fact, I already did!! laugh

Of course, asking that question on the Einaudi thread will probably get you a biased sample of replies. wink

But I think this is a terrific idea, Danny. thumb I can envision a book entitled something like "Learning with Ludo" (well, maybe that's *not* such a good name... laugh ) that would be geared toward the adult/teen learner. It could come with a companion CD that people would actually want to play outside of lessons, just for listening pleasure. Given Einaudi's popularity in Europe, I'm guessing such a curriculum would be a good seller there. And you're right: Einaudi's music is ideally suited for teaching arpeggios and chords (less so for scales, imo) as well as Alberti-like bass patterns.

And I think it would be particularly appealing to people to be able to start playing "real" music very very early on. [/b]
I thought there already was one, although not by Einaudi - http://www.quiescencemusic.com/

Rich

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
#1111106 11/06/08 11:02 AM
On a similar vein, is there a piece of New Age sheet music that is attainable by someone, i.e. me, to have a go at as a longer term project.

I'm currently on page 90 of Alfred Book 1, and also learning 'The Sound of Music'; self taught, so a complete newbie.

I do however much prefer listening to New age piano so would love to have a go at learning a piece.

If you think this is still a pipe dream at my stage please say

Any thoughts appreciated

Blackbird

#1111107 11/06/08 11:03 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It's amazing how similar all these online piano lesson websites look...

#1111108 11/06/08 11:49 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Blackbird. That is just about where I stopped with Alfred's. I started by learning Limbo then went to I Due Fiumi, then Stella Del Mattino and now messing with La Nasciata along with some other piece that I had started on.

I went back to Alfred's book one a few times but never seem to want to play those pieces when I obviously like these pieces better. smile

Roland FP-7 / Pianoteq 4.5.1
[Linked Image]
#1111109 11/06/08 12:12 PM

Originally posted by Blackbird:
On a similar vein, is there a piece of New Age sheet music that is attainable by someone, i.e. me,
Absolutely. If you like Einaudi's music, you should buy the "Best of" sheet music collection. It's about $25, and you won't be able to play a lot of the pieces, but there are some that are almost certainly within your grasp right now. As Anthony pointed out, "Limbo" and "I due fiumi" are good ones to start with. I personally think "I due fiumi" is gorgeous, so I'd recommend that over "Limbo."

If you'd rather not spring for a huge book at this point in time, check out some of David Nevue's easier pieces. I wrote about them in the thread linked below, including some recordings so you can hear what they sound like. "Solitude" is a lovely piece and very very easy.
Thread about easy David Nevue pieces

[edited to fix stupid typo mad ]

#1111110 11/06/08 12:35 PM
Wow, thanks AnthonyB and Monica for the prompt reply

I've listened to all the pieces mentioned and like them all but for my first attempt I've gone for Solitude for a couple of reasons.

It's a legitimate free download so I can start now.

It's seems with a lot of work something I could do.

I love the music

It will be so nice to attempt to learn a piece I have a real feeling for.

I have a horrible feeling my Alfred may take a back seat smile

Thanks again both

Blackbird

#1111111 11/06/08 02:38 PM
If you like Einaudi's music, you should buy the "Best of" sheet music collection.
Someone today asked what I wanted for Xmas, it's now on the list smile

#1111112 11/07/08 11:39 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Blackbird:
Wow, thanks AnthonyB and Monica for the prompt reply

I've listened to all the pieces mentioned and like them all but for my first attempt I've gone for Solitude for a couple of reasons.

It's a legitimate free download so I can start now.

It's seems with a lot of work something I could do.

I love the music

It will be so nice to attempt to learn a piece I have a real feeling for.

I have a horrible feeling my Alfred may take a back seat smile

Thanks again both

Blackbird
Blackbird, where can one download Solitude?

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/
#1111113 11/07/08 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Always Wanted to Play Piano:
Blackbird, where can one download Solitude?[/QUOTE]

Whoops had to edit out the link, didn't realise it's not allowed but if you go to this site you will find it.

Hope that is ok

#1111114 11/10/08 02:42 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Is there anything in the Divenire compilation (sheet music) that is approachable for a beginner?

Casio Ap-200
#1111115 11/10/08 03:02 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm not sure there is anything in there that is easier than the stuff in the best of book. I think that one is last on my list to get (after I get the Una Mattina book).

Now I'll just let Monica come around and really answer the question. smile

[Linked Image]
#1111116 11/10/08 03:10 PM

If you're not fussy about tempo, "Primavera" is easy in terms of the notes. Getting it up to speed was harder for me.

I personally was able to play more out of the "Una Mattina" than "Divenire." (I have literally been working on the title piece "Divenire" for over a year, and it's still too sloppy to record, although I am finally--FINALLY--getting it up to something approximating the right tempo.)

Actually, right now I am working on "Ancora" from the Una Mattina book. This is a piece I absolutely love but was too intimidated to start on it originally due to its length and tricky rhythms. (The freakin' piece is 12 minutes long!! The sheet music for it has 18 pages!!!!) But I was looking for a new Einaudi piece to work on, and I kept getting drawn back to Ancora. I started it 3 days ago, and it's captured my heart in the same way that I due fiumi did. But it's going to be a long term project to get it done.

But the section of the piece starting at 7:01 is just sublime. heart I hope he plays it at the concert.

#1111117 11/10/08 09:33 PM
Clearly I need to buy "Una Mattina" and "Divenire" ASAP! (Even if they don't qualify for super saver shipping on Amazon.com.)

"I due fiumi" is wonderful, and I learned it quite quickly over the weekend. Thus encouraged, I tried "Melodia africana II" and thought I'd learned it as quickly, but I've just listened to the recording and Einaudi plays it so fast! And it does sound better when he plays it. Oh well. :rolleyes:

My only problem with Einaudi is that I like everything in the "Best of" book, so I dash from one piece to another and learn nothing properly. Any attempt to follow a disciplined and organized course of study seems to fail. Listening to the recordings doesn't help, because they're all beautiful and I want to learn everything immediately. help

If Monica (as the Forum's official Einaudi expert) and some of our other experienced Einaudi fans could list their absolute best favorites pieces to play, in increasing order of difficulty, it would be an enormous help to those of us who just can't make up our minds what to learn next! (Or maybe limit it to the top five or ten, in case everything he ever wrote qualifies as your absolute best favorites.)

Thanks!

Carol

Steinway D, No. 528716 (formerly CD-888)
Blüthner 4, No. 150915
Estonia L190, No. 6552
#1111118 11/10/08 10:07 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
While the US version of Amazon.com spoiled you with the cheap "Best Of" book, you won't get so lucky with the Other music books. Amazon doesn't carry them. That is likely one of the reasons I don't have either book yet.

Well, that and I was going to actually get some other music by some other composers (Do I need to hand in my Einaudi Fan Card?) first. I do want at least a little bit of variety for the stuff I learn. I actually did a lot of jumping around trying to pick something that I would want to attempt to learn next and that might end up on hold when my new music books arrive.

[Linked Image]
#1111119 11/11/08 02:41 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Clearly I need to buy "Una Mattina" and "Divenire" ASAP! (Even if they don't qualify for super saver shipping on Amazon.com.)

"I due fiumi" is wonderful, and I learned it quite quickly over the weekend. Thus encouraged, I tried "Melodia africana II" and thought I'd learned it as quickly, but I've just listened to the recording and Einaudi plays it so fast! And it does sound better when he plays it. Oh well. :rolleyes:

Ok, so just to be clear now, this means you are much better than me. I've been playing on and off for about 10 months, and I am self-taught. So calibrate everything else I have to say accordingly.

So . . . [request for help coming] . . . help

If Monica (as the Forum's official Einaudi expert) and some of our other experienced Einaudi fans could list their absolute best favorites pieces to play, in increasing order of difficulty, it would be an enormous help to those of us who just can't make up our minds what to learn next! (Or maybe limit it to the top five or ten, in case everything he ever wrote qualifies as your absolute best favorites.)

Thanks!

Carol
I'll take a stab here. Here are the first dozen or so pieces I intend to learn, in order how difficult I perceive them to be, from easiest to hardest. YMMV (see my comment above). Please understand that I have yet to attempt about half of these (especially those down near the bottom of the list), so hopefully you'll get some more informed responses before too long. But since I have given this question some thought already, I may as well tell you what I came up with.

Limbo - General agreement that this is the easiest.
I Due Fiumi
Lontano
Sotto Vento
La profundita del buio
Ombre - This will be my recital submission. I was able to get up and running pretty quickly on this one, but having a hard time getting it to where I like it.
Tracce
Stella del Mattino - Working on this one now, it's not bad.
Fuori Dal Mondo - I had to shelve this one, had a lot of trouble with it.
Melodia Africana I
Nefeli
La Linea Scura - I hear it's easier than it looks.
Le Onde - On the other hand, Monica has said more than once that Le Onde is actually harder than it looks / sounds. Perhaps like Ombre, in that the notes aren't hard to get down, but making it musical, that's another matter.
Un Mondo a Parte
I Giorni
Giorni Dispari

If none of these are challenging in any way, maybe you should queue up Questa notte, which I figure I'll master about one week after I perform the Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto for all of you.

Casio Ap-200
#1111120 11/11/08 09:02 AM
Thanks, AWTPP! That's a great list. smile

It's just what I was looking for, and the comments are especially helpful. I'm sure there are plenty of challenges here. And I'm going to follow your example of having a specific plan to follow. It's way better than my current approach of trying pieces at random in an attempt to learn everything I like right away!

I hope we get more replies; I'll be interested in seeing how others rank these and other pieces.

Carol

Steinway D, No. 528716 (formerly CD-888)
Blüthner 4, No. 150915
Estonia L190, No. 6552
#1111121 11/11/08 09:46 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I Due Fiumi
Lontano
Sotto Vento
La profundita del buio
Ombre - This will be my recital submission. I was able to get up and running pretty quickly on this one, but having a hard time getting it to where I like it.
Tracce
Melodia Africana I
Nefeli
Le Onde - On the other hand, Monica has said more than once that Le Onde is actually harder than it looks / sounds. Perhaps like Ombre, in that the notes aren't hard to get down, but making it musical, that's another matter.
Un Mondo a Parte
I Giorni
Giorni Dispari

[/QB]
Hi,

I've only had a quick glance at the list. In my opinion, I would put I Giorni further up (maybe nearer Nefeli).

#1111122 11/11/08 10:26 AM
I came up with.

I Due Fiumi
Lontano
Sotto Vento
La profundita del buio
Tracce
Melodia Africana I
Nefeli
Un Mondo a Parte
I Giorni
Giorni Dispari

[/QB]
Such a useful list and a great idea. I'm going to keep a close eye on how you get on as I want to pinch all your good ideas along the way. I'm especially interested on how difficult you find the first two on the list relative to each other.

I'm currently enjoying learning David Nevue's 'Solitude' but Einaudi is where my heart is smile

Page 33 of 119 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 118 119

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission