2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 9 invisible), 1,790 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1112223 09/24/06 07:59 PM
OP Offline
Hi all,
I'm trying to transcribe something using Finale Notepad 2005 and it seems to be (or I am) incapable of getting it to notate a series of notes --I'm sure there's a name for this, but I don't know it-- where the first note is payed and held, the second note, played and held...until you have a chord sounding.

It won't let me place a rest over a played note, nor can I tie two non-adjacent notes. Does anyone know whether this is because I have the cheap (read: free) version of Finale? Is there any not-too-expensive softawre that can handle this sort of construction? In the less-expensive notation programs (I'd like to buy one that can OCR scanned scores) are there commonly-used notations that can't be done?

Thanks for any input.

Without music life would be a mistake
-- Friedrich Nietzsche

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I think it's because you have the free version of Finale. I haven't worked with it much but found myself frustrated by a lot of things with it, primarily the fact that it doesn't allow grace notes (which seems like a major limitation to me!) I guess it makes sense that the program designers wouldn't want to make the free version too good, otherwise nobody would buy the real thing. :p

I know that many people recommend the upgraded (= not cheap) version of Finale, as well as Sibelius. You might get more input if you post this in the composer's forum, where you'll find lots of people who use these programs.

OP Offline
Thanks, Monica, you're probably right. I got aroung the grace note issue by using 32nd notes and shortening the longest note in the measure by that value, but it was a pain!

I've got a demo version of Smartscore on the go now, but the editing comands are less intuitive, so I'll have to spend a couple of hours trying to figure it out. The upside is that it will let me place rests above chord tones to make the kind of open chords that Notepad was balking at.

My eldest just came home with his school band book (alto sax). It has a CD-ROM that contains the newest version of Notepad. In the end I'll buy something, maybe Printmusic, which seems to offer the best price/features compromise. I'll mosey on over to the Composer's Corner to see if there are any review.

-- Friedrich Nietzsche
The constraints that Finale put on you to make each measure technically accurate definitely impact creating more complicated measures. In the bottom left hand corner of the window there are four numbered buttons. These represent musical layers in the notation. It will be complex, but you should be able to manipulate the notation using a layer for each voice and get pretty close to how you want it notated.

For the chord, I assume you are trying to attach the symbol to roll the chord? I don't know if you can do that with the free version.

Dean
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I use MidiSoft's Worship Studio:
Worship Studio

It's pretty full featured, tho you do sometimes, with very complex music, have to use the voice layers to get the notation exactly as you want it. There hasn't really been anything I haven't been able to do, and it is easy enough to use that I sometimes will notate just a measure or two of something I am trying to work out, just to hear how it sounds.

-Mak

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I you need to assign each note to a different voice... remember that piano is one of the few instruments that can play multiple voice lines.

Each voice's music line will have to conform precisely with the time signature requirements for the measure. You'll have to pad the front of your 2nd and 3rd notes with rests. These "front" rests aren't typically shown in standard piano notation.

You switch voices (up to 4) using those numbered boxes in the lower left-hand corner, by the Page box. Each voice is a different color, which helps you lay it out. In mind, the first voice is black, 2nd voice is red, third is, I think, blue.

Here's an example of what it would look like for a C major triad. In this case, you build the chord on each beat, and note is then held until the end of the measure. I don't think the colors copied over well, though, but hopefully you'll get the idea.

[Linked Image]

Oops, I realize that this is what Dean was saying up above.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
That's exactly what you would have to do in Worship Studio. Once you've done it once or twice, it becomes easy to visualize and figure out. Does Finale then let you go back and delete those extra rests? I can do that in WS. Just makes the printed score a bit easier to read- less cluttered.

-Mak

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.
OP Offline
Thanks. That's precisely what I'm trying to do. I'll look for "layers".

In "Composer's Lounge", the relatively inexpensive (~$100 Canadian) PrintMusic (Finale) has been endorsed, so I'll eventually pick it up.

I'm thinking that before I waste too much time on this particular trnascription, I'll try writing the music *gasp, shudder* by hand. eek

And spend the time saved actually trying to play it. :p

-- Friedrich Nietzsche

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission