Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#1112291 - 06/21/06 03:04 PM Re: Groups:Improvising Blues Piano
Soleil_nuage Offline

Loc: Virginia
I got my book yesterday!! I flipped through the first two chapters and listened to the CD. Nice, fun pieces.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1112292 - 06/21/06 03:24 PM Re: Groups:Improvising Blues Piano
pastafarian Offline

Loc: Canada
Cool, soleil_nuage!

#1112293 - 06/21/06 11:17 PM Re: Groups:Improvising Blues Piano
ARIAS Offline

Loc: Tampa Bay
I've skimmed thru the first few pages of the first chapter.I am working on the Beginners Boogie. The first 3 lines of the song are easy. On the last 3 lines of the song I have trouble playing the left hand on beat with the right hand. I really like the melody though in the right hand on those last 3 lines. It is has a nice bluesy tone to it. The notes are all easy to read it is just keeping that consistent beat on the left hand especially on the last 3 lines that I find tricky. Maybe what I need to do is review some of those instructions that go with the song . Or maybe I just need to practice that left hand over and over until the beat is consistent.

real blues players wear hats

#1112294 - 06/22/06 01:21 AM Re: Groups:Improvising Blues Piano
pastafarian Offline

Quote:
Or maybe I just need to practice that left hand over and over until the beat is consistent.
Definitely.

The big issue for me was making sure the hands didn't follow each other. SLOW hands together practice helped. Also, don't underestimate the RH, as the intervals between fingers changes. It should be automatic, particularly if you're going to try the broken octaves LH.

#1112295 - 06/22/06 01:58 AM Re: Groups:Improvising Blues Piano
keyboard samurai Offline

Loc: Hot and Humid Houston, TX
my delivery date

Delivery estimate: July 1, 2006 - July 18, 2006

\:\(

#1112296 - 06/22/06 07:33 AM Re: Groups:Improvising Blues Piano
petrof1 Offline

Loc: Gulf Coast
To: Keyboard Sumaraui and KoKomo:
Too bad you guys are having so much trouble getting your books! \:\(
I think I ordered my book and cd from Sheetmusicplus.com, it cost a little more and took about 2 weeks to get the book, but at least I got the book. ;\)
I found out the other day that Barnes and Noble has the book online. I have gotten music from Barnes and Noble before. Alot of people don't even realize Barnes and NOble has music books. Maybe you guys can cancel your order and order from one of them?
Just a thought............

#1112297 - 06/22/06 11:12 AM Re: Groups:Improvising Blues Piano
kokomo61 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Herndon, VA
I cancelled my Amazon order - I should have the book by Wednesday of next week. I'll be playing catch-up after that.....
Estonia 190, #6098

#1112298 - 06/22/06 11:25 AM Re: Groups:Improvising Blues Piano
petrof1 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by kokomo61:
I cancelled my Amazon order - I should have the book by Wednesday of next week. I'll be playing catch-up after that..... [/b]
Glad to hear you cancelled your order! It seems to me alot of people have had bad luck with Amazon.

Dont'worry about catching up either. I'm not doing a whole lot past the beginning of the first chapter.
The beginning of the first chapter is pretty easy really. The notes are very easy. The right hand is easy. The only thing you really have to worry about is keeping the beat, especially in the left hand, and if you have the CD to listen to it really helps. ;\)

#1112299 - 06/22/06 11:59 AM Re: Groups:Improvising Blues Piano
keyboard samurai Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by petrof1:

I found out the other day that Barnes and Noble has the book online. I have gotten music from Barnes and Noble before. Alot of people don't even realize Barnes and NOble has music books. Maybe you guys can cancel your order and order from one of them?
Just a thought............ [/b]
This is what I have on order with Amazon.com

Improvising Blues Piano (Spiral-bound)
by Tim Richards (Composer)
Publisher: Schott; Book & CD edition (December 1, 1997)
Spiral-bound: 262 pages
ISBN: 0946535973

and that's the book I thought we were going through

but all I can find on BarnesandNoble.com

Improvising Blues Piano, with CD
Martan Mann
Format: Paperback, 96pp
Pub. Date: October 1997
Publisher: Music Sales Corporation
ISBN: 0825616247

both published same year -- weird.

oops!

just found it searching for the author and keyword piano, B&N says "A new copy is not available from Barnes & Noble.com at this time."

1 used copy available from 3rd party for $69!

B&N not an option.

#1112300 - 06/22/06 12:12 PM Re: Groups:Improvising Blues Piano
keyboard samurai Offline

The posted lead time on sheetmusicplus.com is the sames as Amazon.com

Lead time before shipment-4 to 6 weeks

even if it was 2 weeks that wouldn't be any earlier than amazon now for me, so I guess I will wait.

#1112301 - 06/22/06 12:23 PM Re: Groups:Improvising Blues Piano
kokomo61 Offline
500 Post Club Member

On Amazon, there are several "used and new" choices:

I've edited the list to ones that ship between 1-2 business days.

Used(1 to 3 of 3)
$21.30
LOW PRICE
Used - Good Seller: thereadingcompany
Usually ships within 1 - 2 business days.
Ships from CA, United States

$31.14 Used - Like New
Seller: superbookdealsdotcom
Rating:88% positive ratings over the past twelve months (25392 ratings).
Ships from MD, United States

New(1 to 5 of 11)
$22.04 New
Comments: Brand New
Seller: imaginethis
Seller has 16252 lifetime ratings. Usually ships within 1 - 2 business days.
Ships from TN, United States

$23.91 New
Seller: playersquest
Ships from OH, United States
Estonia 190, #6098

#1112302 - 06/22/06 12:25 PM Re: Groups:Improvising Blues Piano
s54mo827 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Hi kokomo61:

I really have no business being in this thread other than I saw your name and wanted to say hi.

Hope everything works out with your Amazon orders!

Still thinking about that Bohemia in the window!

;\)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv7-qjprix4

#1112303 - 06/22/06 12:29 PM Re: Groups:Improvising Blues Piano
pastafarian Offline

Don't buy the Martin Mann book instead!

Has anyone tried ordering from Jazzwise ? Since Tim Richards' website links to it, I assume they'd have the book in stock. (shipping is listed at ten pounds, though what it is in euros (dollars?), I have no idea.

Jamie Aebersold also sells it , though I don't know if he has any in stock.

#1112304 - 06/22/06 01:46 PM Re: Groups:Improvising Blues Piano
petrof1 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by s54mo827:
;\) [/QB]
SHARON;
Are you thinking of getting a bohemia? I have one and I love mine, it's a 185 model. I've been happy with mine.
Good luck to you what ever you decide.

#1112305 - 06/24/06 12:26 PM Re: Groups:Improvising Blues Piano
angelojf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: PA
Hey Pasta:

Your "Happy Blues" was cool! Thanx!

I think I may be the guy in the back of the line with this book... I'm only on p.14 or 15 :rolleyes:

I'm the Beginner's Beginner ! \:D

However, I'll keep working on it.

I recently figured out why the book is going slow for me, and I'll rectify it next practice with it: I NEED TO REMEMBER TO WEAR MY HAT WHEN I PRACTICE THIS BOOK!

I'll keep you updated with my progress, even if its slow.

- angelo

#1112306 - 06/24/06 01:49 PM Re: Groups:Improvising Blues Piano
pastafarian Offline

Thanks for the updates angelojf! I'm having a bit of a struggle with "Blues for Booker". Either that or my metronome is broken-- it won't go slow enough!!! ;\) .

#1112307 - 06/24/06 02:21 PM Re: Groups:Improvising Blues Piano
kokomo61 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Hi kokomo61:

I really have no business being in this thread other than I saw your name and wanted to say hi.

Hope everything works out with your Amazon orders!

--------------------
Sharon
------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by s54mo827:
[/QB]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SHARON;
Are you thinking of getting a bohemia? I have one and I love mine, it's a 185 model. I've been happy with mine.
Good luck to you what ever you decide
Howdy, Sharon - I'm still waiting on my book, but I think I've got the right source now. It's shipped, and I should get it Monday or Tuesday.

The Bohemia is nice, and everything from Cathy's shop comes well prepped. I think her sales price includes a Dampp-Chaser installed, too - so you can be sure whatever you get from her is going to be a very stable, consistent piano....

It was one of the 2 or 3 on my short list, so I was certainly impressed by it.

Good luck!
Estonia 190, #6098

#1112308 - 06/26/06 08:29 AM Re: Groups:Improvising Blues Piano
zoso Offline

Loc: O'fallon Il
Im hoping IBP will arrive today or tomorrow. To keep myself on track while waiting I bought another book to keep me occupied, Blues Piano by Mark Harrison. It starts off with scales, modes and chords, then moves into a lot of left hand patterns., then to different voicings and finally to right hand techniques.
Is anyone familiar with this book? If so do you think it will help as a sort of a supplement to IBP, or do you think it will make it confusing to do two books at once?

#1112309 - 06/26/06 10:50 AM Re: Groups:Improvising Blues Piano
pastafarian Offline

zoso, Harrison's book is an excellent complement to IBP. I'm currently dipping into it a bit to learn some patterns to combine with the IBP material. Harrison fast-forwards through material that Richards leads you through gently, but they really reinforce each other.

#1112310 - 06/26/06 01:36 PM Re: Groups:Improvising Blues Piano
zoso Offline

Good, Its nice to know I didnt wast my money or time on a book I wouldnt use much. It does move fast though, I find I need to read each section over a couple of times to understand it.

#1112311 - 06/26/06 06:27 PM Re: Groups:Improvising Blues Piano
zoso Offline

IBP arrived today! It looks like a great book.

#1112312 - 06/27/06 10:07 PM Re: Groups:Improvising Blues Piano
ARIAS Offline

What songs are y'all working on? Are any of you poor folks still waiting on your books? I am rotating back and forth between the Beginners Boogie and the Blue Third Blues. I am working on getting my left hand to coordinate correctly with right hand. But I discovered if I tap my foot to the beat in the left hand it actually helps me play the left hand better.
From time to time I like to play BLUEBERRY HILL(I skipped a little) to pag 28. I always liked that song by Fats Domino! It is one of the best!

real blues players wear hats

#1112313 - 06/28/06 10:55 AM Re: Groups:Improvising Blues Piano
pastafarian Offline

I'm still on "Blues for Booker" in IBP. It'll be a week or so before I've got my "trouble spots" to a reasonable tempo. I've started dipping into Mark Harrison's book as well. There are two "bits" I want to learn.

#1112314 - 06/30/06 03:13 PM Re: Groups:Improvising Blues Piano
kokomo61 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I got my book today - and am looking through it, playing some riffs...

Pastafarian - I think my "trouble spot" in Blues for Booker is my entire left hand....

Should I just start at the beginning and run through until the pieces start getting tough? How is everyone else approaching it?
Estonia 190, #6098

#1112315 - 06/30/06 05:21 PM Re: Groups:Improvising Blues Piano
geek in the pink Offline

Loc: New Jersey
IMHO, learning to play the pieces well is secondary to being able to understand what you've just played (theory wise) and being able to apply that theory to a myriad of other songs in any key. This is why I don't necessarily try and perfect every peice before moving on, but for me my goal is understanding how[/b] the blues works so I can play well in all keys in a Church setting accompanying singers... for others it might be different.

Also, and this may just be me, but I can hear a very audible difference between a person who has learned to play a blues song, and a person who knows how to play the blues.

#1112316 - 06/30/06 08:53 PM Re: Groups:Improvising Blues Piano
ARIAS Offline

#1112317 - 06/30/06 08:54 PM Re: Groups:Improvising Blues Piano
ARIAS Offline

:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by kokomo61:
Should I just start at the beginning and run through until the pieces start getting tough? How is everyone else approaching it?

KOKOMO: YES, THAT'S THE WAY I AM DOING IT, I'M NOW ON THE [/i] BLUE THIRD BLUES.[/b] STILL WORKING ON DOING A BETTER JOB WITH THE LEFT HAND

darn: I accidently hit the add reply button twice

#1112318 - 07/01/06 11:15 PM Re: Groups:Improvising Blues Piano
zoso Offline

Im smoothing out beginners blues-melodic and am looking at starting beginners boogie soon.

#1112319 - 07/02/06 06:55 PM Re: Groups:Improvising Blues Piano
pastafarian Offline

Quote:
QUOTE]Originally posted by kokomo61:
I'd say the answer depends on your playing level. I've listened to some of Geek in the Pink's ragtime. Unlike my fingers, his fingers can boogie pretty nicely on the keys without falling on their figurative butts, so he probably doesn't need the technique that beginners like myself pick up from the first few pieces.

With one exception, which I no longer talk about, I have learned every piece and done all the assignments in chapter 1.

Why? I play a pretty decent blues harmonica and have been jamming the blues for a long time. The tried and true method for me and most muscisians in that genre I've met is to learn as many licks in as many keys as possible and to memorize every sound your instrument is capable of producing (includes chords scales, effects) and how to make them at will as fast, slow, loud or soft as possible. Then you listen to the music you like until you know every sound made by every instrument in the versions you like and how to play along with them in the way that you think makes the song sound better than the guy who wrote it ever thought it could.

By this time, you should have music playing in your head for at least part of the day (as long as you don't try to charge people around you for it, they won't lock you up ;\) ). Start playing that until you can play it all as well as you hear it in your mind, then go back to any of the previous steps.

Quote:
memorize every sound your instrument is capable of producing (includes chords scales, effects) and how to make them at will as fast, slow, loud or soft as possible.
This part is a mite easier said than done. In fact, I don't think anyone has EVER done it with ANY instrument. This is what IBP is supposed to be doing for me and why I'm obsessive about playing all the pieces and trying to mix and match all the LH parts with the RH parts before moving on.

I mentioned earlier that I didn't think much of "Five-finger Blues". As a tune, I don't. As a teaching device, it's brilliant: those thirds are the building blocks of tons of cool blues licks, including the one I asked about in the "Non-classical" thread. Maybe if I could play piano, I'd skip ahead in IBP, or work on Mark Harrison's book or use one of Dr. John's courses, but I can't. Intellectually, I can plan quite a few blues licks with my RH now. My ear is getting much better.

It's taken me a week to co-ordinate a slow HT redition of an elementary blue thirds exercise in Harrison's book that I could play at the CD speed, HS separate on my second try. I need the hand-holding.

"Blues for Booker"? LH was about three days to bring to speed. I'm about 3 weeks into it and I have just managed to play from the RH triplet pick-ups to the end HT smoothly through at about 40 bpm.

Blues theory is easy, synchronising the hands on the fly is freaking hard!

I'd say, take it slow and give Richards' wisdom a chance to sink in: he's a helluva teacher and he's giving theory, technique, riffs and improvisational ideas ALL AT ONCE without demanding that we bring many existing piano skills to the table. Since it looks like I'm past The Wall in "Blues for Booker", my goal is to work up multi-chorus improvs for 3 Chap. 1 pieces before hitting chap 2. Hopefully, I'll have learned how mike my piano so I can post them
by Sept. \:D

#1112320 - 07/03/06 12:18 AM Re: Groups:Improvising Blues Piano
LeadFingers Offline

Loc: Salem Oregon
 Quote:
Pastafarian wrote:
Blues theory is easy, synchronising the hands on the fly is freaking hard!
I am so with you!
If not for the support of threads like this, I would think I belong in the piano division of "Special Olympics".
Doodling in either hand aint no thang, but getting both hands in synch...well it makes me feel small.

LeadFingers

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
129 registered (accordeur, alans, 36251, 40 invisible), 1828 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75369 Members
42 Forums
155837 Topics
2288284 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How far to go?
by ChopinFan66
18 minutes 50 seconds ago
"Canned" Accompanyments like Music Minus One?
by Kojak
Today at 04:16 PM
grand care
by johnfin
Today at 03:18 PM
Yamaha U5 or Charles Walter 1520 console
by Kai C
Today at 02:55 PM
Weinbach 170 or 192, anybody got any advice?
by Sam4
Today at 02:49 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission