2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
27 members (clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, AlkansBookcase, 8 invisible), 1,163 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
I've been thinking of putting together a documentary movie about
the challenges we face in learning new things as we get older.
I know many adults who don't do what they really want to because
"It's too difficult to learn now". So I've been putting together
information and questions about the learning process and how it
relates to children and adults.

Anyone interested in joining me trying to put this together? I have
basic video editing experience, but need more people to get this
into critical mass. I'm thinking something along the lines of the
movie "What the bleep do we know?"... same kind of format with
information, interviews, performances, case studies, etc.

Just to get things going, does anyone have information on the
"great" piano players, and when they started playing, how much
they practiced, what else did they do, etc? I'm hoping to find
a few truly great piano players who didn't touch the instrument
till they were older...

John Connelly
Playing for 7 months now
Stride - Classical - Kids
Roland RD-700
Santa Cruz, CA
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
John, I think there is a list of "late bloomers" some where on the site. Here it is. Late starting concert pianists
As far as making a documentary goes, I would be happy to help in whatever way I can. However, I have no experience in film making, acting, directing, etc. What I do have is experience being an adult beginner. So if you're looking for input on material, let me know.
One forum member you should definitely talk to is Cindysphynx. She actually had an article published in her local paper the Washington Times (?). Cindy is very good at getting things done, so you might PM her and see if she has any sage advice.
Good luck,
Jon

"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Albert Einstein
Charles Walter W190 Ebony
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
John, being in Japan, I probably con't help out too much, but it sounds like an interesting idea and I can think of lots of elements that would be nice to see included.

You might check out the adult music groups in various cities around the states, for example groups that provide an opportunity for public performance by people who are amateurs and may have only recently started playing. Those places would be a good place to see what kind of activities are available for adult learners (beyond internet BBs!)

My current favorite site for info pertinent to adult learners is:

Musical Fossils web page

This site also has a link for a DC group (a little far from you, but might be a good place to get more links etc)

I have the impression (which might be way off) that in the past, the majority of adult pianists were people who played in childhood and, after a long time away from piano, came back to it for whatever reasons. In language study, we call these folks "false" beginners, because they basically need to start at the beginning, but they actually have a lot of knowledge and skill that just needs to be recalled and put to use. In the piano world, or at least this Piano World, these folks are called re-treads (how did they get that label?)

Recently however, it seems that there are a lot more "true" beginners, people like me, who never played the piano as children and start it for the first time as adults. (I started playing at age 30. I'm 3? years old now smile

So one thing that might be interesting to look at is the similarities and differences between false and true beginners.

Another interesting question is why there's currently a "boom" in adult piano learning. (I think there is one in the US, there certainly is here in Japan!)

I agree with you that a lot of people seem to shoot themselves down before they even start "it's too hard, I'm too old, piano is something you have to learn when you're little or you can't do it" etc.

However, the recent increase in adults actually taking the challenge may be due to a sort of self-perpetuating thing, that with more adults learning, and succeeding, other adults see that it's possible. Also, I think we should never underestimate the benefits of our beloved internet forum, because it surely helps a lot of people believe in themselves and stay motivated. Along with this and other net forums, there is also an ever-growing body of literature geared toward the adult music student, so there's more and better information available that addresses the needs of adults.

Ok, getting long again! I'll stop here for now. smile

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Here is some interesting info I found about Adult Piano Competitions, both in Texas. I am so inspired by them. To think about even attending the competition!!! I wish someday I can. Most of them have a main profession.

1) The Van Cliburn Foundation sponsors the International Piano Competition for Outstanding AmateursTM, held every two years. Designed to encourage and recognize the importance of music-making, both off and on the stage, the Amateur Competition is for pianists above the age of thirty-five whose principal source of income is not derived from piano performance or teaching piano.

The fourth International Piano Competition for Outstanding Amateurs was held in Fort Worth, Texas, May 31-June 5, 2004.

http://www.cliburn.org/page/18

2)In October 2004, the Chopin Society of Houston, inspired by the Van Cliburn Amateur Pianist Competition, organized the first Chopin Competition for the Adult Amateur Pianists.

http://chopinsocietyofhouston.org/Event-Details.aspx/AAC/7

http://www.forum-polonia-houston.com/Events/2004/chopin/am1.htm

Happy Music Making!

An Adult Piano Student (Houston)

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission