Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1113860 - 01/01/05 10:43 AM Confessions of a Newbie
markallen Offline

Loc: Stanwood, WA
I thought it would be fun to share with everyone my thoughts and progress after one entire week of owning and playing the piano. After a mere 7 days, I can actually play Silent Night using the chords C,F,G. It has amazed me how such a simple rudimentary tune can create such internal joy and excitement by being able to play it. Not play it well, mind you, but anyone hearing it would know what it was. I realized in one short week, my poor little stubby fingers have learned to do something they've never done in their 43 years on this planet. The only word I found to describe my experiences thus far to my wife was "giddy". Which I think is an accurate description of this first week

I have practiced an average of an hour a day and the time seemed to fly by. There were days I would have thought I was only practicing for 10-15 minutes and would see an entire hour had passed. I took an interest in piano as a stress reducer and it certainly has worked. Its wonderful to spend time focused on something completely new and unknown.

I've ordered and received last Friday the Sudnow material and look forward to working on that. I started with a book from Barnes and Noble "Play piano in 10 easy lessons" or something similar. Thatís what I've been working on this week. I also purchased the Alfred Adult Beginner book 1. I'm hoping to use it in conjunction with the Sudnow method.

While searching the web for info on digital pianos I came across PW. I read many threads about the various keyboards, good and bad, and it really helped with my final decision to purchase a used Roland DP 600.

Then I found the Adult Beginner forum. I really don't know what to say other than its been a real blessing to have been welcomed in by such a supportive group. I believe fear of failure is the main reason most of us never get new things started. I've felt this way about piano for years, but after this first week, I know there is a great supportive group that will help me be successful in any way they can - THANK YOU!

New sig line in the works....

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1113861 - 01/01/05 10:53 AM Re: Confessions of a Newbie
divadeb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Congratulations on week one, Mark. You're off to a wonderful start.

As you go along, you're going to bang into some walls. Everyone does...don't let that deter you. Enjoy the process...remind yourself that you used to not be able to play at all when you get over-anxious about not being able to play what you want quite yet. Sometimes it helps me, when working on a new skill that is slow-going, to pretend I'm painting. I paint in layers...you don't finish in one stroke. I try to think of learning a piece that way too. I learn the "background"...learn the "sketch" of what I'm doing...and try to sit back and take a look at the whole composition, like I would a painting, from time to time. That makes filling in the details more fun, less frustrating, because I can keep in mind what I want it to be when I can actually play the whole thing.

Again, congrats...keep it up. Have fun!

www.divadeb.com

#1113862 - 01/01/05 11:22 AM Re: Confessions of a Newbie
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
good job! as long as you keep trying, you'll sure find more happiness in piano playing! every step and every progress count.

#1113863 - 01/01/05 01:37 PM Re: Confessions of a Newbie
Phoenix_62 Offline

Loc: Isen, Germany
Congratulations too! I am renting a piano and it arrived last week! Gives me time to decide which piano I want and if I have the talent for it.

I have also tried to practice 1 hour each day with since it has arrived. I hope to find a teacher to start with lessons sometime in January. The feel of a real piano is wonderful and it is also amazing to see how my fingers acquire "memory". As with my singing, I expect there to be highs and lows, but nevertheless, it is a new passion for me.

Good luck and all the best!

#1113864 - 01/01/05 02:02 PM Re: Confessions of a Newbie
mikhailoh Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cincinnati
HOW COOL! And think..you just started. The road ahead has a lot of joy.

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'

#1113865 - 01/01/05 02:29 PM Re: Confessions of a Newbie
Phoenix_62 Offline

Loc: Isen, Germany
Yes, I feel the same way about life...filled with joy :-)

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha UX vs WX
by goldmund
10/25/14 11:34 AM
Need help with chords
by Shirz
10/25/14 07:52 AM
Which are the best forums for piano technicians and DIYers?
by Withindale
10/25/14 03:17 AM
Prelude
by noobpianist90
10/25/14 01:55 AM
Red Striped Screws and Fancy Nuts
by chernobieff
10/24/14 11:57 PM
Who's Online
112 registered (alfredo capurso, 0987654321, accordeur, ajames, 36251, 33 invisible), 1534 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76653 Members
42 Forums
158488 Topics
2327563 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission