2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 14 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 25 26
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Come one, come all, let's have a ball with the lovely Croatian Rhapsody!

Ok, I have taken the liberty of starting this thread now, mainly because we all need to be clear on the score we're going to use and make sure that everyone who's interested can participate. First of all, here again is the transcription that is available to anyone who wants to download it:

Croatian Rhapsody transcribed by Matthew Burrows

Scroll down a bit to the selection of Matthew Burrows's transcriptions, it should be easy to find.

Here is the MP3 of the piano performance I originally found

Croatian Rhapsody as performed by Kenji Kanemasu

You will notice that there are some minor differences. I have the score that matches Kanemasu's performance, but it's in a Japanese magazine and it would be difficult for most PWers to get legally.

So if people are ok with the Burrows transcription, I think we should do that one. Or.... if people are not overly fond of the Burrows transcription... then we should talk about it some more and see what other options we have.

By the way, the Burrows transcription is in no way simplified, from what I can tell, both are of equal difficulty.

Comments? Suggestions?

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
variations.. lots of really fun variations.

i'd learn that one maybe. or part of it.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
I am not sure it is worth the effort for everyone to get Kanemasu's transcription when an acceptable equivalent is readily accesible within a few mouse clicks. Either way, though, I am agreeable and would like to participate.

Dean
You can count me in! The tempo is going to a real challenge for me. I've never played a song like this before! But i really like the song , so I can't resist tagging along for the ride! smile

And yes I do have the Matthew Burrows transcription. thumb

Make music not war
My kids won't let me stop playing this recording!! I guess it will ultimately help me. laugh This is beautiful.
Crystal

Homeschooling Mom to 8
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
...fasten your seat belts, it's going to be a bumpy ride! laugh

Crystal....I know what you mean about playing it...i listened to it several times over this past weekend. I think this is one of those pieces that will not only sound beautiful (when we learn to play it well wink ) but will be really fun to play.

ShiroKuro, thanks for this recommendation. I am so looking forward to learning this one!

Jeff
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Opus, no kidding!

This piece is obviously very appealing to a lot of us, but I'm sure we'll be cursing it in the months to come! :rolleyes:

And I agree with DK, getting the other arrangement would probably be a logistical nightmare. (I go through heck and high water every time I try to get something from the US.)

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
If anyone has any suggested finguring on this one, I would love to see it.
Crystal

Homeschooling Mom to 8
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
You're not the only one Crystal laugh , I would bet ShiroKuro has worked out some highly efficient fingering already and I am extremely curious to see it. However, I am going to try my own fingering first, and then compare it with what ShiroKuro and/or others have worked out. So, if anyone posts any fingering suggestions, I'm not going to look at it until I've had a chance to see what I come up with.

You guys are really quick, I haven't even printed out a copy of this yet.

Jeff
[Linked Image]
Ok, I have now listened to this for the 38th time, in fact I am listening to this again as I type this!
I really like this song, it makes me feel energetic!

I've also examined the transcription. I notice there's alot of repetition, that being said, simplifies the song a little......

As far as I can see the hardest part is going to be the tempo. The next hardest is going to be the fingering, so I can see what Opus is taliking about!

I am excited, I have never had music like this before! It is indeed a treasure! smile

Make music not war
I listened and it is wonderful! I've printed it out. Now? Are we working on a certain number of measures? How are we proceeding?

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
How about this...

After everyone looks over the piece and plays around with it a little bit on the keyboard...

Why don't we poll everyone & see how long we think we might need to get through the piece?

We can also talk about how everyone plans to approach the Croatian Rhapsody. (hands seperate, certain phrases, measures, starting tempo's ecteteras...

(I'll probably add more questions later)

Jeff
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Very quick post because I should be on my way to work (PW is as addictive as playing is!)

Nina put the Burrows transcription into Finale and made this MP3. Thank you Nina!!!!

Croatian Rhapsody played by Finale

Remember, it's played by a computer, not a person, but what's helpful is that listening to this makes it a little easier to see what's different about this arrangement. Listen while looking over the score, and you can see just which parts are going be really hard. But yes, it's so repetitive that there isn't a lot of isolated information to learn.

Hope this is helpful. I'll be back later to tell you all how much I don't know about the fingering for this piece! laugh

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
I only have a few minutes available this evening to look this over.

My initial impression based on about five minutes of playing around with it on my piano is, simply stated, that this is going to be a very challenging piece of music for me to master.

I know I will be able to play this music eventually, but the obvious question, considering this is also a group effort, is how long will it take to learn it. Although I can't say for sure, my best uneducated guess at this point is that it will take me at least 3 months, and perhaps even more likely, as long as 6 months. I say this not only because I have other unrelated obligations and a limited amount of time to devote to this, but because I have also placed myself in other challenging learning groups.

I can handle multiple groups, and actually welcome the variety of having different pieces to learn, but I can only handle them all if there's a slow enough pace for me. Having said that, if the rest of the group is able to move along much faster, I can always withdrawl. If that ends up being the case, then I would certainly bookmark this thread for future reference.

What do the rest of you think?

ShiroKuro, I tried to find the small section you described in this thread and wasn't able to find it in the version transcribed by Matthew Burrows. Are the two versions that different?

Jeff
[Linked Image]
Ater revewing the music, I have decided that it would probably take me between 4 and 6 months to work on the whole piece of the Croatian Rhapsody due primarily to the tempo. I am sure everyone will progress at a different speed according to their skills level. I would consider myself to be late intermediate.
I am also doing Take 5 and Victors Piano Solo. In addition to that I am also working on a couple of classical pieces outside this forum. I also have work and responsibilities. I am sure most people in the forum do as well. wink

Make music not war
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I've had the chance to look at the score and I think the challenge for me will be with the rhythm/tempo. I will print out the score and give it a try.

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Croatian Rhapsody by New Year's Eve? laugh

(...slinking back thinking he'll end up with "finishing/polishing Croatian Rhapsody" on his list of New Year's Resolutions for 2007 ) wink

[Edit: I'm in complete agreement kawaigirl, the rhythm is going to be difficult & demanding]

Jeff
[Linked Image]
I kind of like the idea of six months to completion. Any suggestions for significant milestones within the piece? I tend to tackle my music sequentially by the page. Or we could subdivide the themes out. I am game for any rough outline we want to apply.

As an example:
1 page per month to equal the six months. We could further break down weekly goals.
Start Page 1
Week 1: Establish fingerings, identify trouble spots within page 1.
Week 2: Able to play through page 1 at tempo 50
Week 3: Page 1 tempo = 70
Week 4: Page 1 tempo = 80
Start page 2
Week 5: Establish fingerings, identify trouble spots within page 2. Page 1 tempo = 85
Week 6: Page 2 tempo = 50. Page 1 tempo = 90
etc.

That might be way to agressive a pace to bring the tempo up....

Let me just finish up by saying that I think this concept is very exciting and I look forward to trying out a team learning approach.

Dean
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
dk, That looks like a very well thought out plan.

I'm not at my keyboard now, so I can't provide a more confident self-assessment that I might get from spending 20-30 minutes on the first page, but, I think I might be able to follow that plan.

What about the rest of us? Thoughts? Too slow?, Too fast? Just Right?

Jeff
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
DK, I agree that looks like a good plan. BUT

Let's not start on page 1... Hmm, I don't have the score out now, but let's start where both hands do that 16th note thingy where the LH goes up and down and the RH goes whereever it can.

I know, what I just wrote is completely incomprehensible. I'll get you some measure numbers tomorrow!

Let me rephrase my suggestion. How about going through the score and picking the hardest section? IMO that should be where we start.

There are at least three reasons for doing it this way. 1) Getting the hardest part into our fingers will make everything else come easier. 2) If we start practicing the hardest part first, that means we'll be working on that section from the beginning, so when it's time to crank up the tempo, we should be pretty comfortabe with even the most difficult sections. 3) If we started at the beginning, we'll get stuck when we get to the hardest part. This is the stage when a lot of people (self included) give up and put the score away. Starting with the hardest part will make it easier to stick with the piece through to the end.

What does everyone else think about this idea?

BTW, I'm taking the score with me to my lesson tomorrow. I'm sure my teacher thinks I'm insane, showing up with a new piece every week! :p

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 25 26

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission