2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,207 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 26 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 25 26
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Jeff,

Same fingering as dk suggests with SK's modifications, except:

G2: 5-2-1, 5-3-2-1-2

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, only what you are expecting to give, which is everything. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by dk21208:
Hmm... how many kiloweeks in a metric month?
There are 2 avoirdupois weeks in a metric month.

2 avoirdupois weeks = 10 days, US time.

I don't know what the Japanese would be.

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, only what you are expecting to give, which is everything. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Is anyone else noticing a tremendous amount of tension in their shoulders when playing, especially with sections G, H, and I?

I even notice it in my left leg and foot.

I'm reading a book on tension while playing and how it leads to injuries, so I'm becoming aware of the importance of relaxing the whole body when playing.

The problem is, that with so much happening in the music and so much to concentrate on, it's hard to spare some concentration to notice tension in the body.

The usual rule is to slow down, relax, and be aware of body tension as it occurs.

But the music is like a Siren's call, beckoning be, not to the island, but to play ever faster.

Mel

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
OK, let's laugh.

My 1st attempt at the whole thing:

http://www.box.net/public/0s2lysn48t

What's good:

Section I came out really good.

What's not so good:

My right hand touch is uneven in all the 16th note phrases, and I keep going faster and faster.

What's a disaster:

1) The whole c# minor section.

2) Long pauses for page turns.

3) Mistakes too numerous to mention.

Mel

No problems here. Are you tense in both shoulders or is it more to one side or the other? I think I am staying nice and loose on this one because I am actually swaying back and forth while I play. Must be quite entertaining to sit in my living room.

Dean
Wow, I am about to listen. I just touched on the key change for about five minutes last night otherwise I have been avoiding that section to date.

You are cruising along!

Dean
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
No kidding, section I came out great!

Are you tensing up in the parts you say are "not so good?" My old ears tell me that's a possibility. Tension in the forearm is the evil companion of uneven playing.

BTW, Anthony has decided to use B until section I, and K starting with section I. He's also decided he doesn't like the LH of section I played in that bottom octave and he raises it up an octave. Each to his own tastes, I guess.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Piano*Dad, I tense up in all the places I'm not comfortable, which is essentially the whole piece, except the first page.

After a 15 year absence from the piano, I've only been playing for 4 months, so pretty much everything is not comfortable for me to play.

How does one relax the forearms?

Mel

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Thanks for helping me out with this fingering folks, I thought my left hand fingering seemed a little uncertain in those sections. You can bet at the first opportunity I'll be at the piano trying out your fingering suggestions. Mine actually feels physically comfortable at a slow tempo (no hand fatigue), but I'm not sure I could pull it off at faster tempos (would require a "hand lift and drop" leap of faith. I'll see if I can comfortably "walk it up" as you guys (and gals) are doing.

Mel, I'm anxious to hear your recording but I'll have to wait until after work today. I hope it really does have some uneveness, pauses and mistakes...that will make me feel better about my own playing wink .

Each of you are so far ahead of me, which is probably a good thing for me I suppose (maybe that will translate into a faster learning curve for me, since I'll be able to read & learn from your own experiences?), but still, I can't help but feel like the "slow one" mad .

As with the Chopin Group, it seems the only folks posting are those who have blazed ahead, and all the other participants have gone relatively silent frown . I didn't fully anticipate this for the groups, but I suppose that's the way it will be confused .

Jeff
[Linked Image]
Mel,

Only four months back in the saddle! Wow!

There are a lot of ways to combat tension, but the first requisite is knowing when it begins and combating it immediately. Slow those parts back down until you have them more perfectly under control.

I like to think of proper arm technique as dropping a relaxed hand (often deeply) into the note. The only tensing should occur as a slight stiffening as you make contact with the key in order to deliver the precise amound of force. If you feel that forearm tensing, I'll bet that tension is being transmitted to the wrist and to the back of your hand. Those muscles tire quickly and the tension gets shifted up into the shoulders as well. Its dang near impossible to play once all this starts to happen.

When I feel tension in my own playing I always stop and do a "note to self" moment. I shake out my arms, relax my shoulders, and perhaps get up from the piano to do a little stretch. Then I sit back down and try to play the offending passage more slowly and without tension.

Bravo! I can't believe you maintained that pace through the entirety of the song.

Dean
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Mel, great progress! I think you'll be finished *practicing* this piece long before the rest of us, and quickly move into making it your own. Excellent!

Re tension, if you're interested in doing some reading, I could recommend some books (I have to look and see which ones addresses tension the most.)

I haven't noticed too much shoulder tension, but that's probably because I'm not playing fast enough yet. But recently I've noticed that I'm kind of pressing my entire weight down onto my left foot and it feels like I'm going to put a hole in the floor! When I tune in to that and release the tension there, I can feel my whole body relax. I also make it a point to drop my shoulders at certain times while playing, I like to breathe out while doing that, it's like a little recentering, re-relaxing trick. I find that if my shoulders aren't too tense, then it's easier for me to keep the rest of my upper arm and forearm loose.

Jeff, one thing my teacher said about fingering is that for sections where it's essentially the same thing (like most of G in the LH) it's easier if you use the same pattern throughout. So G4 is an exception, but she recommended I do G1 and G2 the same, where I had them a little different initially.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Now that I think about it, I think this tension thing could be serious problem. Maybe you should take maybe a 3 week break while the rest of us catch up... I mean so you can heal smile

Actually I agree with Piano*Dad's recommendation of slowing down. It always seems to work for me because it allows my brain extra time to think about those other things like tension and posture. You could proably apply ShirKuro's Crank-and-Drop method in order to evaluate and remedy where tension builds.

Speaking of Piano*Dad.... do you have any more audio progress reports coming our way?

Dean
Opus: "As with the Chopin Group, it seems the only folks posting are those who have blazed ahead, and all the other participants have gone relatively silent."

I'm still here and I imagine others are "lurking" too. Can't comment on fingering or anything when I'm not there yet! I was moving along on the B version but decided to change to the K version (thanks again!) and that slowed me down. But I'm following your conversations.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by dannylux:
Nina, how's your finger now?

Better, I hope.

Mel
Thanks for asking! It is getting better, but slowly. I've been really laying off of it out of paranoia. Today I'll try to play the Croatian Rhapsody again...the full arpeggios (the one that isn't the Piano Life version) was really painful before. Crossing my fingers.... ouch! wink

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
MEL, BRAVO!!!!

I just listened to your first recording of the entire Croatian Rhapsody, and I am just insanely jealous of your progress! (but, mostly in a good way wink ) I love the key shift in this piece, very dramatic. It was nice to follow along with the music while listening to your recording, and I can fully appreciate any "flubs or hesitations," believe me.

It is going to take me so much longer to get through this piece, but I am going to get through it!

Thank you so much for sharing this recording. I think it's awesome that we're willing to share these recordings during our learning process (well, at least from the star students...you guys would NOT want to hear a recording of me trying to get sections D through H up to [1/4=50] tempo!).

I hope you appreciate how helpful it is for me to hear these recordings!

Jeff
[Linked Image]
Progress Report? Well, Piano*Son has it sort of finished. There are a couple of rather rough spots, and he managed to misplace the last page. I'll reprint it for him tomorrow and maybe he'll record what he's done tomorrow or Saturday morning. That'll be it for piano for him for about six weeks! He has a three week summer course up in PA and then we head off for Germany. Perhaps we'll find some pianos over there!

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Another comment regarding the left hand fingering for sections E, F, G & H.

I tried the suggestions that everyone is using. I know fingering is individual, unique, & whatever works is okay, etc.., but this really interests me. If I may:

It seems to me that using 5-5-1 fingering for the repeating note patterns on the 3rd & 4th beats (F-C-Ab, & C-G-Eb stretches) would prevent what seems to me would be hand strain from walking your left hand using 5-2-1 fingering (strain between the stretch from 2 to 1?). Additionally, it seems that using the 5-5-1 pattern eliminates the need to "read" the upper note (instead, I know it's a fifth).

Has ANYONE else tried the 5-5-1 fingering pattern for these sections? Am I overthinking this? One of the reasons this interests me is that I want to get better at developing reasonable fingering patterns on my own.

Jeff
[Linked Image]
I think that fingering ultimately needs to be something that you are comfortable with. I would not be able to do that fingering, it just doesn't feel natural to me. You obviously are clinging to the hope that it will work. As long as you feel you can be effective at full speed I don't see a problem with that. My intent would certainly not be to discourage you, but definitely make sure that you consider the potential of playing those notes quickly. Because it will be much harder to learn a new fingering at that stage of the game. Way to straddle the fence, eh?

Dean
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
You obviously are clinging to the hope that it will work.
No, not at all. (but, that is funny laugh )

I'm wondering if there might be something technically wrong, or something else I haven't considered with the fingering pattern I developed for those note stretches. [F-C-Ab, & C-G-Eb]

Jeff
[Linked Image]
Page 13 of 26 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 25 26

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission