2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 24 of 26 1 2 22 23 24 25 26
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I didn't know there was a Maksim version.

Please send me a copy.

Practice makes permanent - Perfect practice makes perfect.
YD Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by playadom:
I didn't know there was a Maksim version.

Please send me a copy.
I sent it to you via PM.

Yuri
FWIW; YMMV
B
B
I have started the K version and am immersed in it. I had my first lesson since 1989 last Wednesday. I am working on CR and the Entertainer. My timing is atrocious, but I am making some progress.

What is the Maksim version like? Can someone send me a copy.

Has anyone liked different versions enough to blend them? Gee, the K version sounds so great I can't imagine what the others sound like. I am also curious why there are so many versions. Is the original author rolling over in his grave over all this? Is this an obscure piece? My piano teacher had never heard of it.

Wade

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
brazospiano, somewhere in these 19 pages you'll see a post by piano*dad describing how his son cut and pasted sections from the K and Burrows transcriptions together. Or if you don't want to read all 19 pages laugh , you can try sending a PM to piano*dad and asking what they did.

YD Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by brazospiano:

What is the Maksim version like? Can someone send me a copy.
I sent it to you via PM.

Has anyone liked different versions enough to blend them? Gee, the K version sounds so great I can't imagine what the others sound like. I am also curious why there are so many versions. Is the original author rolling over in his grave over all this? Is this an obscure piece? My piano teacher had never heard of it.
I looked at all three of them (earnier today - before that I only looked brievly at B version), and originally decided to learn Maksim version for a much fuller bass line. Then I started playing the first page and found some places whre I liked B version better. Maksim bass is waaaayyy better IMHO though, so if I were to stick with strict note-by-note playing, I'd still go with Maksim. However, I don't have to stick with anything- I am just doing this for fun. So I play a "not-quite Maksim" version now (only got 1st page at about 80 beats per second, so it is really just beginning). I found the piece to be quite flexible, and easy to modify to suite your tastes.

CR is not an obscure piece, but a modern "rock-classic" fusion composition, so, if your teacher is only into classical music, it is not very surpsing the (s)he never heard of it.

Yuri
FWIW; YMMV
YD Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Is the original author rolling over in his grave over all this?
Hopefully, the author, Tonči Huljić ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonci_Huljic ), is still alive and well, ans so is Maksim Mrvica ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maksim_Mrvica ) smile

Yuri
FWIW; YMMV
B
B
Thanks Yuri! I checked out YouTube and found Maksin playing Croatian Rhapsody with an orchestra. Pretty cool! The Hungarian Rhapsody is also quite beautiful, but longer and appears harder.

Croatian Rhapsody by Maksim

Wade
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
For some reason, I just hate Maksim's version of Hungarian Rhapsody #2. Same thing with the Horowitz transcription and others like that.

Practice makes permanent - Perfect practice makes perfect.
YD Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by playadom:
For some reason, I just hate Maksim's version of Hungarian Rhapsody #2. Same thing with the Horowitz transcription and others like that.
Ha, I'd say the same thing about the Lang Lang version - Maksim's seem to click with me just fine

Yuri
FWIW; YMMV
YD Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks Yuri!
You are welcome

I checked out YouTube and found Maksin playing Croatian Rhapsody with an orchestra. Pretty cool! The Hungarian Rhapsody is also quite beautiful, but longer and appears harder.
Wade:

This is an understatement of a century. 2nd Hungarian Rhapsody is up there with Liszt's Transcendental and Chopin's 10- and 25- series etudes in the level of difficulty, while Croatian Rhapsody, even in the harder Maksim's version is, well, maybe, grade 6 or so. The score I have of the 2nd rhapsody is 30 pages long (dense!), CR is 5 laugh The Presto part of 2nd rhapsody is played twice as fast as CR eek

Yuri
FWIW; YMMV
Hopping into this study group out of nowhere I must say that this piece and Nancy's performance of it in the recital threw me of my chair. Superb job, Nancy! What's even better, I played the piece to my teacher last week and gave her the score, she was immediately intrigued - and came to my lesson today, sat down and started playing the piece. And what's even much more better (sorry for violating English grammar) is what she said after that: "Sit down, you can learn this piece, let's start." Which we did. laugh

Patty

In love with life
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Hey, Patty--

That's great that your teacher likes this piece. I had the same experience. My teacher is likes some jazz/blues pieces, but she's mainly classical. I thought she'd dislike Croatian Rhapsody, but she really likes it and is very excited that I'm playing it for my adult recital next week. In fact, she told another adult who was thinking of skipping the recital, "No, you have to come and hear Nancy's piece." That made me feel great. I've played some things that are lots harder than CR, but CR is just fun and infectious. I have been going over to her house and practicing on her piano we use for the recital. It's a Yamaha grand, and the bass is very big compared to the treble, and the keys are much stiffer than on my Yamaha upright. By the last page my arms are tired and my fingers sloppy, and the bass comes out booming over the right hand. So I hope to remedy those problems with a little practice there.

By the way, at the recital I have to introduce the piece with something about the composer. Does anyone have any information about him aside from what is on Wikipedia? I have the Piano Life magazine, but it's in Japanese so I don't know if it gives any information about him or not. Wikipedia's information is pretty sketchy. I'm not sure it even says what his age is.

By the way, Patty, you have the smoothest English I have ever seen from a non-native speaker. I know you work as a translator, but even knowing that I am always surprised by your mastery of slang and idioms that we use on PW. I am very typical of Americans in that I know very little of any language besides English (I took French in high school and a refresher class ten years later for a trip to France, and I haven't used my French since then, and that's been 20 years now). So I am always impressed by someone's ability to speak and write a second language. I think the English speakers on this forum take it for granted, but you all amaze me.

Nancy

Estonia 168
I'm just looking at learning this piece. I have a version of Croatian Rhapsody by Tonci Hyljie - but I'd really like to learn Maksim's version - sounds like it is different. Where would I find this and/or can anyone send me a copy?

Thanks

Estonia 168 - slow down, relax, & listen
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
The one I have is the Kanematsu version, I think. I'm not at home right now, but if you haven't gotten one by Sunday when I get back from the beach, I'll get it out of my home computer file and PM it to you.

Nancy

Estonia 168
Thanks Nancy - I'm assuming the Kanematsu version is the one Maksim uses?

Estonia 168 - slow down, relax, & listen
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
No, Maksim plays his own version.

I'll email it to you.

You can find the Burrows version of the first page of this thread.

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, only what you are expecting to give, which is everything. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn
Originally posted by NancyM333:

By the way, Patty, you have the smoothest English I have ever seen from a non-native speaker.
Nancy
Wow, that goes down like milk and honey! Thanks a lot, it is just good old German quality education ... and reading all these great American novel writers wink .

Patty

In love with life
B
B
If anyone learns the Maksim version and records it (slow is almost better for me to listen and learn from it), I would love to hear it.

I have stopped work on CR for several weeks while I polish off the Entertainer. It is no means recital ready, but it is getting closer. I am going to start CR after my lesson on Wed. Right now I am planning on doing the K version, but would consider doing the Maksim version but I would sure like to hear it first...

Wade
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
One year ago, when this thread started, I searched youtube for a Croatian Rhapsody Video of someone playing. Now there are at least 10 home videos of people playing. I think the song is becoming more popular.

Matt

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Thanks for looking that up, Matt. I'm finishing this up for my adult recital this weekend, so it will be fun to see & hear some other people playing it before I do. It has been great fun.

Nancy

Estonia 168
Page 24 of 26 1 2 22 23 24 25 26

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission