Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 16 of 17 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 >
Topic Options
#1114606 - 05/16/07 11:05 PM Re: Croatian Rhapsody Learning Group
playadom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
Speaking of section I, everybody should play it in octaves. That's what I do, and it's great!

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1114607 - 05/19/07 02:18 AM Re: Croatian Rhapsody Learning Group
YD Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Greetings, everyone.

I confess: after the spring recital, I succumbed to the CR craze and decided to learn it. I looked at the score and sight-read the first 2 pages at recognizable tempo (something like 60) - not too bad - I could sight read (with many errors, mind you) up to the point where the 2 hand start playing 16th - then I had to divert to playing chords instead of 16th in the left hand.

Do I understand it correctly that there are 2 different versions of the score? If yes, where can I get the second one?

Thanx,

P.S. This forum is getting addictive. How do you guys and gals deal with it ???

#1114608 - 05/19/07 03:42 AM Re: Croatian Rhapsody Learning Group
dannylux Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut
Three versions:

Burrows

Kanemasu

Maksim

Most of us play the Kanemasu version (K version). It's lighter and has that wicked "I" section.

The Burrows' version is a little heavier, and the "I" section isn't as interesting as the K version.

Maksim's version is the heaviest.

Which version do you have?

The Burrows' version is available in SK's first post on the first page of this thread.

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get — only what you are expecting to give — which is everything. What you will receive in return varies. But it really has no connection with what you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn

#1114609 - 05/19/07 09:44 AM Re: Croatian Rhapsody Learning Group
playadom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Most of us have the K version. You could PM somebody and see if they have the score.

#1114610 - 05/19/07 09:53 AM Re: Croatian Rhapsody Learning Group
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
 Quote:
Originally posted by YD:
P.S. This forum is getting addictive. How do you guys and gals deal with it ??? [/b]
er...some of us don't! \:o

#1114611 - 05/19/07 11:28 AM Re: Croatian Rhapsody Learning Group
NancyM333 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Roswell, Georgia
I know what you mean, YD. Someone on this forum has a signature that says something like: Teacher says, "Practice more. Post less." I laugh every time I see it. On the other hand, I've gotten so much great information and feedback on the forum, that I know it's made my playing better. Plus, it's great fun and there are lots of nice people here!

By the way, I just printed out the Burrows version the other day from SK's post. I play from the K version, but I'm not sure if it's still saved on my hard drive. I'll look and let you know. I didn't realize there was a Maksim version.

Nancy

Estonia 168, Yamaha UX3

#1114612 - 05/19/07 11:11 PM Re: Croatian Rhapsody Learning Group
YD Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NancyM333:
I know what you mean, YD. Someone on this forum has a signature that says something like: Teacher says, "Practice more. Post less." I laugh every time I see it. On the other hand, I've gotten so much great information and feedback on the forum, that I know it's made my playing better. Plus, it's great fun and there are lots of nice people here!
[/b]
Indeed, I've only been active here for 2 weeks, and already gor so much great info. What a great bunch of enthusiastic people!

Quote:

By the way, I just printed out the Burrows version the other day from SK's post. I play from the K version, but I'm not sure if it's still saved on my hard drive. I'll look and let you know. I didn't realize there was a Maksim version.
[/b]
I started looking at Burrow's version - but just got both K and Maksim versions from Mel (Thanx a lot!). Maksim's version is what I'll be learning - it has a beautiful, syncopated bass line played mostly in octaves - I just played through the first 2 pages at half tempo, and it is absolutely amazing! Will take quite a while to master, though, it is much heavier than either K or B versions.

Now, how'bout joining the Libestraum learning group? (sorry for the shameless plug ;\) )

#1114613 - 05/20/07 07:09 AM Re: Croatian Rhapsody Learning Group
NancyM333 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I am honored you'd ask me to join the Liebestraum group. I just began Liszt's Consolation, and I think I'll finish that before tackling Liebestraum. I've been reading the posts over there, though, and I'm going to follow along with your progress.

Mel, could you send me the Maksim version also? I don't think I've ever seen it, and although I doubt I'll switch at this point, maybe I could add a few aspects of Maksim to my K version and see how it sounds.

Thanks,

Nancy

Estonia 168, Yamaha UX3

#1114614 - 05/20/07 07:30 AM Re: Croatian Rhapsody Learning Group
dannylux Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Glad to.

Done.

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get — only what you are expecting to give — which is everything. What you will receive in return varies. But it really has no connection with what you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn

#1114615 - 05/20/07 11:23 AM Re: Croatian Rhapsody Learning Group
NancyM333 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks, Mel. That is an interesting arrangement--lots of octaves, like YD said. I'm sure it sounds fuller. I notice the I section doesn't have the rests of the K version, so that will sound different.

Which versions have been recorded by our group? I think Piano*Son did the Burrows version with some changes.

Nancy

Estonia 168, Yamaha UX3

#1114616 - 05/20/07 03:46 PM Re: Croatian Rhapsody Learning Group
playadom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I didn't know there was a Maksim version.

Please send me a copy.

#1114617 - 05/20/07 04:04 PM Re: Croatian Rhapsody Learning Group
YD Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by playadom:
I didn't know there was a Maksim version.

Please send me a copy. [/b]
I sent it to you via PM.

#1114618 - 05/20/07 10:01 PM Re: Croatian Rhapsody Learning Group
brazospiano Offline

Loc: College Station, TX
I have started the K version and am immersed in it. I had my first lesson since 1989 last Wednesday. I am working on CR and the Entertainer. My timing is atrocious, but I am making some progress.

What is the Maksim version like? Can someone send me a copy.

Has anyone liked different versions enough to blend them? Gee, the K version sounds so great I can't imagine what the others sound like. I am also curious why there are so many versions. Is the original author rolling over in his grave over all this? Is this an obscure piece? My piano teacher had never heard of it.

#1114619 - 05/20/07 10:08 PM Re: Croatian Rhapsody Learning Group
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
brazospiano, somewhere in these 19 pages you'll see a post by piano*dad describing how his son cut and pasted sections from the K and Burrows transcriptions together. Or if you don't want to read all 19 pages \:D , you can try sending a PM to piano*dad and asking what they did.

#1114620 - 05/20/07 11:58 PM Re: Croatian Rhapsody Learning Group
YD Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brazospiano:

What is the Maksim version like? Can someone send me a copy. [/b]
I sent it to you via PM.

Quote:

Has anyone liked different versions enough to blend them? Gee, the K version sounds so great I can't imagine what the others sound like. I am also curious why there are so many versions. Is the original author rolling over in his grave over all this? Is this an obscure piece? My piano teacher had never heard of it. [/b]
I looked at all three of them (earnier today - before that I only looked brievly at B version), and originally decided to learn Maksim version for a much fuller bass line. Then I started playing the first page and found some places whre I liked B version better. Maksim bass is waaaayyy better IMHO though, so if I were to stick with strict note-by-note playing, I'd still go with Maksim. However, I don't have to stick with anything- I am just doing this for fun. So I play a "not-quite Maksim" version now (only got 1st page at about 80 beats per second, so it is really just beginning). I found the piece to be quite flexible, and easy to modify to suite your tastes.

CR is not an obscure piece, but a modern "rock-classic" fusion composition, so, if your teacher is only into classical music, it is not very surpsing the (s)he never heard of it.

#1114621 - 05/21/07 12:05 AM Re: Croatian Rhapsody Learning Group
YD Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Is the original author rolling over in his grave over all this? [/b]
Hopefully, the author, Tonči Huljić ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonci_Huljic ), is still alive and well, ans so is Maksim Mrvica ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maksim_Mrvica ) \:\)

#1114622 - 05/23/07 11:03 PM Re: Croatian Rhapsody Learning Group
brazospiano Offline

Thanks Yuri! I checked out YouTube and found Maksin playing Croatian Rhapsody with an orchestra. Pretty cool! The Hungarian Rhapsody is also quite beautiful, but longer and appears harder.

Croatian Rhapsody by Maksim

#1114623 - 05/23/07 11:12 PM Re: Croatian Rhapsody Learning Group
playadom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

For some reason, I just hate Maksim's version of Hungarian Rhapsody #2. Same thing with the Horowitz transcription and others like that.

#1114624 - 05/24/07 12:50 PM Re: Croatian Rhapsody Learning Group
YD Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by playadom:
For some reason, I just hate Maksim's version of Hungarian Rhapsody #2. Same thing with the Horowitz transcription and others like that. [/b]
Ha, I'd say the same thing about the Lang Lang version - Maksim's seem to click with me just fine

#1114625 - 05/24/07 12:58 PM Re: Croatian Rhapsody Learning Group
YD Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Thanks Yuri!
[/b]
You are welcome
 Quote:

I checked out YouTube and found Maksin playing Croatian Rhapsody with an orchestra. Pretty cool! The Hungarian Rhapsody is also quite beautiful, but longer and appears harder.
[/b]
Wade:

This is an understatement of a century. 2nd Hungarian Rhapsody is up there with Liszt's Transcendental and Chopin's 10- and 25- series etudes in the level of difficulty, while Croatian Rhapsody, even in the harder Maksim's version is, well, maybe, grade 6 or so. The score I have of the 2nd rhapsody is 30 pages long (dense!), CR is 5 \:D The Presto part of 2nd rhapsody is played twice as fast as CR

#1114626 - 06/08/07 04:46 AM Re: Croatian Rhapsody Learning Group
Patty39 Offline

Loc: Germany, near Cologne
Hopping into this study group out of nowhere I must say that this piece and Nancy's performance of it in the recital threw me of my chair. Superb job, Nancy! What's even better, I played the piece to my teacher last week and gave her the score, she was immediately intrigued - and came to my lesson today, sat down and started playing the piece. And what's even much more better (sorry for violating English grammar) is what she said after that: "Sit down, you can learn this piece, let's start." Which we did. \:D

Patty

#1114627 - 06/08/07 08:24 AM Re: Croatian Rhapsody Learning Group
NancyM333 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hey, Patty--

That's great that your teacher likes this piece. I had the same experience. My teacher is likes some jazz/blues pieces, but she's mainly classical. I thought she'd dislike Croatian Rhapsody, but she really likes it and is very excited that I'm playing it for my adult recital next week. In fact, she told another adult who was thinking of skipping the recital, "No, you have to come and hear Nancy's piece." That made me feel great. I've played some things that are lots harder than CR, but CR is just fun and infectious. I have been going over to her house and practicing on her piano we use for the recital. It's a Yamaha grand, and the bass is very big compared to the treble, and the keys are much stiffer than on my Yamaha upright. By the last page my arms are tired and my fingers sloppy, and the bass comes out booming over the right hand. So I hope to remedy those problems with a little practice there.

By the way, at the recital I have to introduce the piece with something about the composer. Does anyone have any information about him aside from what is on Wikipedia? I have the Piano Life magazine, but it's in Japanese so I don't know if it gives any information about him or not. Wikipedia's information is pretty sketchy. I'm not sure it even says what his age is.

By the way, Patty, you have the smoothest English I have ever seen from a non-native speaker. I know you work as a translator, but even knowing that I am always surprised by your mastery of slang and idioms that we use on PW. I am very typical of Americans in that I know very little of any language besides English (I took French in high school and a refresher class ten years later for a trip to France, and I haven't used my French since then, and that's been 20 years now). So I am always impressed by someone's ability to speak and write a second language. I think the English speakers on this forum take it for granted, but you all amaze me.

Nancy

Estonia 168, Yamaha UX3

#1114628 - 06/08/07 03:12 PM Re: Croatian Rhapsody Learning Group
Tony.S Offline

Loc: Alberta
I'm just looking at learning this piece. I have a version of Croatian Rhapsody by Tonci Hyljie - but I'd really like to learn Maksim's version - sounds like it is different. Where would I find this and/or can anyone send me a copy?

Thanks

#1114629 - 06/08/07 03:39 PM Re: Croatian Rhapsody Learning Group
NancyM333 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The one I have is the Kanematsu version, I think. I'm not at home right now, but if you haven't gotten one by Sunday when I get back from the beach, I'll get it out of my home computer file and PM it to you.

Nancy

Estonia 168, Yamaha UX3

#1114630 - 06/08/07 11:38 PM Re: Croatian Rhapsody Learning Group
Tony.S Offline

Loc: Alberta
Thanks Nancy - I'm assuming the Kanematsu version is the one Maksim uses?

#1114631 - 06/08/07 11:54 PM Re: Croatian Rhapsody Learning Group
dannylux Offline
1000 Post Club Member

No, Maksim plays his own version.

I'll email it to you.

You can find the Burrows version of the first page of this thread.

Mel

#1114632 - 06/09/07 01:09 AM Re: Croatian Rhapsody Learning Group
Patty39 Offline

Loc: Germany, near Cologne
 Quote:
Originally posted by NancyM333:

By the way, Patty, you have the smoothest English I have ever seen from a non-native speaker.
Nancy [/b]
Wow, that goes down like milk and honey! Thanks a lot, it is just good old German quality education ... and reading all these great American novel writers ;\) .

Patty

#1114633 - 06/10/07 12:26 AM Re: Croatian Rhapsody Learning Group
brazospiano Offline

If anyone learns the Maksim version and records it (slow is almost better for me to listen and learn from it), I would love to hear it.

I have stopped work on CR for several weeks while I polish off the Entertainer. It is no means recital ready, but it is getting closer. I am going to start CR after my lesson on Wed. Right now I am planning on doing the K version, but would consider doing the Maksim version but I would sure like to hear it first...

#1114634 - 06/10/07 09:53 AM Re: Croatian Rhapsody Learning Group
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

One year ago, when this thread started, I searched youtube for a Croatian Rhapsody Video of someone playing. Now there are at least 10 home videos of people playing. I think the song is becoming more popular.

Matt

#1114635 - 06/13/07 12:01 AM Re: Croatian Rhapsody Learning Group
NancyM333 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks for looking that up, Matt. I'm finishing this up for my adult recital this weekend, so it will be fun to see & hear some other people playing it before I do. It has been great fun.

Nancy

Estonia 168, Yamaha UX3

Page 16 of 17 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
113 registered (aesop, AmateurBob, Acevle, 36251, alans, 41 invisible), 1326 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75609 Members
42 Forums
156346 Topics
2296293 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Ivory v. Plastic Questions
by Retsacnal
Yesterday at 11:50 PM
The worst student in your studio
by Cardinal201
Yesterday at 11:43 PM
Piano Movers
by DancerJ
Yesterday at 11:16 PM
Yamaha P-85 closer to a Grand Piano action than any Upright!
by Paul678
Yesterday at 07:22 PM
Do someone have a Sciortino Insta-COILER
by Olek
Yesterday at 06:55 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission