Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
125 registered (Al LaPorte, Albunea, accordeur, agoriaket, 36251, AjLongsPiano, 37 invisible), 1490 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Topic Options
#1115287 - 03/13/07 12:56 PM A little progress report of me
katefields Offline

Loc: Felts Mills, NY
Hi all,

First, a big old THANK YOU to everyone on here who has taken the time to answer my questions. And also to StephenC who maintains the Hanon Challenge thread. It has helped so much!!!

Okay, so when I first joined this forum a few months ago, I was not very happy with my playing, which was made up of mostly banging out chords in very predictable and boring patterns I'd made up over the years. I have oodles of music and theory training, but the flute has been my major instrument since I was 11.

I wanted to get over the hurdle of reading piano sheet music. So, taking the advice I received on here as to how to progress, I started printing out pages and pages of easy classical starter pieces. I put them in a big stack on my keyboard, and would rotate through the stack, sightreading the new ones and working up the others. When I could get through a piece fairly accurately, I'd take it out of the stack. I was able to progress pretty quickly from "medium easy" to "medium-difficult easy". Also, just for fun, I joined the Hanon Challenge. That has totally kept me on my toes and drawn me to practice so I can get my completion post in before midnight Sunday! I think it's helped my finger coordination, too.

I selected a performance piece to play in church and have been working diligently on it. (There is nothing that gets you polished up better than public performance!) I've been playing it over and over at the church, imagining the congregation there, and playing through even when I make a mistake because I can't stop right in the middle of service and say, "Oops, wait a minute." Hopefully this week or next I will be able to do it.

I started selling old books and stuff on ebay so I could buy some books of songs I'd like to work on for church. I just got one of them yesterday (a Hal Leonard Easy Piano version) and was surprised at how easy it was to sightread some of the songs! I am loving this!

Looking forward to much more progress!

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1115288 - 03/13/07 02:50 PM Re: A little progress report of me
Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: S. California
Congratulations kate!

Recordings!! By the way, I'd be interested in hearing both your new piece and some of your old chord banging ones as well \:\)

#1115289 - 03/13/07 02:58 PM Re: A little progress report of me
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Sounds like you're making great progress indeed, katefields!

What's the performance piece you'll be playing in church? Maybe you'll submit it for a recital?

#1115290 - 03/13/07 05:51 PM Re: A little progress report of me
katefields Offline

I've been a bit hesitant to look into the recitals because I don't really know if I'm at a good enough level or really even how to get involved with it.

As for recordings, I'll see if I can post a little sample of both.

The piece I chose is "As the Deer", an easy Hal Leonard version.

Thanks for all your encouragement!

#1115291 - 03/13/07 06:00 PM Re: A little progress report of me
DeepElem Offline

Loc: USA
Great progress !!!
It's always great to hear about people having success.

The recitals here are easy, and there is literally every level of playing in there, so you should not hesitate to submit a recording to the next recital

#1115292 - 03/20/07 10:27 AM Re: A little progress report of me
katefields Offline

Here are some recordings for you of my banging. There is usually singing going on while I play, so I don't cover melody too much.

Here's a typical hymn:
http://www.box.net/shared/yltiig0o9q

And a slower song:
http://www.box.net/shared/3fmfyh3729

I'll try to get a recording of the "new and improved me" up soon. Sorry for the static; I recorded it on a tape deck.

#1115293 - 03/20/07 11:52 AM Re: A little progress report of me
Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I liked how you mixed the melody into the second song. FYI, Kate, if you want to complexify your accompaniment, you should definitely check out Sprunger (he has lots of nice sounding accompaniment patterns), unfortunately his course doesn't cover any melody playing.

Looking forward to the new song. BTW, what's your new goal now and how are you going to go about it? I'm curious, as a self-teaching beginner myself.

#1115294 - 03/20/07 12:46 PM Re: A little progress report of me
gmm1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Spokane WA
Kate, that was very nice. I am not familiar with the hymn, but your playing conveyed the tune very well. I don't know why you say you did not cover the melody, it was easy to "guess" where the words went.

I do not know the second piece either, but you did the title justice, it was soft and tender. Nice touch.

Very enjoyable. More, please.

#1115295 - 03/20/07 04:39 PM Re: A little progress report of me
jotur Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
I love the picture in my head of your stacks of sheet music on either side of your piano. I keep thinking that will work for me, too, but several days into the stacks I get sidetracked by something and pretty soon you can't walk in my living room for the sheet music all over the floor. Then I make one big stack and start all over again. But it sure is fun, huh, and it sounds like you're doing really well in learning the things yo want to learn, as well as keeping up your ability to perform in public. Keep on!

Cathy

Practice like you are the worst; play like you are the best - anonymous

#1115296 - 03/20/07 04:50 PM Re: A little progress report of me
jotur Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Wow! I'm going to heaven with your music guiding me on my way! Just listened to your "banging" (sic) - definitely great piano music. Softly and Tenderly was often the altar call at church when I was a kid. Since I used to *only* read sheet music/notes I'm expanding into being able to do what you did on these recordings \:D . It's fun to still have things to learn for all the years there are left -

Cathy

Practice like you are the worst; play like you are the best - anonymous

#1115297 - 03/21/07 09:10 AM Re: A little progress report of me
katefields Offline

And here's a sample of the performance piece I've been working on.

http://www.box.net/shared/fjxbfgz81r

I'm playing it on a different keyboard than my first two samples. The first one was a really nice Yamaha DG-something, I think; but I used my little Casio to record this one. I never noticed how hard the attack is on the Casio until I listened to this recording. It sounds like I'm really crushing the keys, but I assure you I wasn't.

Thank you all so much for your encouragement. I did actually have the Sprunger course, but it wasn't quite what I was looking for. So I got what I wanted out of it, and then sold it on ebay a couple weeks ago so I could by some easy sheet music!

I guess I was having trouble figuring out what exactly I wanted, but I've decided that in order to achieve the sound I want, I need to learn to read piano music.

Right now my goal is this: I have a binder full of lyrics with chords over them that I use for church services. I would like to replace the majority of them with real arrangements. I know that might take years, but I am willing to do it.

I came across a really beautiful piano piece performed by the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir one time. I love the song, and I tried to play it and some others of theirs just using chords, and the effect was completely lost. I guess it was then that I realized I need to move forward with my playing, bite the bullet and get over my hang up with sheet music.

So I am progressing! Thank you all for your help and your comments!

#1115298 - 03/21/07 08:47 PM Re: A little progress report of me
stephenc Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Hi Katefields1 - Its great to hear you are making such progress, your commitment to learning to sightread is also very impressive. I was fortunate enough recently to play a piano in a church hall (no audience, it was up for sale) but the experience of playing in such a large room with all the wonderful acoustics was, appropriately, heavenly!

BTW - thanks for participating in the Hanon challenge, It's really helped my playing and been great motivation having others to pursue the challenge with!

#1115299 - 03/21/07 11:51 PM Re: A little progress report of me
Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Kate, I liked the new recording. I liked how you mixed the block chords into the middle of those arpeggios. It's a nice arrangement, you're very steady on the rhythm even when you improvise.

#1115300 - 03/22/07 09:23 AM Re: A little progress report of me
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Blackpool, UK
Hi Kate

I have to be honest I actually really liked the banging (regardless of the hiss ) and I loved "As The Deer" \:D

Very nice indeedy...sounded great to my ears \:\)

regards

Lee

#1115301 - 03/22/07 04:15 PM Re: A little progress report of me
katefields Offline

Thanks for listening!

Actually, "As the Deer" is from sheet music. I have been working on it as my first "real" piece since I began focusing on sheet music rather than improvisation. (Although, I did improvise the intro a little bit--I didn't like the chords they had.) It will (hopefully) be the first piece of music I play (and sing) for an actual church function that isn't played by only chords. I am nervous! But I know that I can do it. You all are awesome. Thanks.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad) Teaching Children Music
Teaching Music to Children
(ad) Yamaha Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP4 & CP40 Stage Pianos
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
PianoDisc
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Playing Horse
by S. Phillips
09/01/15 06:32 PM
Memory helps me learn pieces and play after I stop practice
by caters
09/01/15 06:08 PM
Knabe vs Mason & Hamlin baby grand
by Marsha J McDowell
09/01/15 05:11 PM
2015 Kawai RX-2 vs 1984 Yamaha C-5
by Dogface
09/01/15 04:59 PM
Protecting piano from sunlight
by beethovenop54
09/01/15 04:16 PM
What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
80,590 Registered Members
44 Forums
166,603 Topics
2,441,095 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission