Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
79 registered (anamnesis, Al LaPorte, 22 invisible), 1196 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 24 of 26 < 1 2 ... 22 23 24 25 26 >
Topic Options
#1116143 - 01/10/07 06:44 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
Mary-Rose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Essex, England
Gosh, Sarah, you must be really talented. I love the way you casually throw in "I'm preparing some Chopin waltzes too." For me that would be a six-month event, not a quick last-minute filler! I'm really looking forward to hearing what you play, whatever it is (so long as it's Chopin).

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1116144 - 01/10/07 11:30 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
loveschopintoomuch Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Ditto for me, Sarah. Ah, to be at that point in our piano prowess that we can "throw in" anything would be a dream come true for me and I'm certain, others. \:\)

I have a piece that I HOPE I will have ready. It's a "modified" version of Rach's Variation on Paginni's 18th. It is not difficult to play at all. Any second year student could probably handle it. For for some weird reason (I think it's the broken chords and arpeggios in the LH that throw me off). Some sections are somewhat alike and that's where I get mixed up as to what arpeggios goes where!!

I started learning this last May, would you believe? Of course, I was learning about 8 other pieces also. But, I knew I had to memorize it to play it better. And that's what is giving me such a headache!!

Last Monday, I said to myself: "Self, this is the week you are going to do nothing but memorize that Rach composition." And, I glad to say that I've finally have. \:D

However, if/when I submit it to the recital, I am still going to have the sheet music in front of me.

Also, I do so love to play it on my grand, but the recording quality sounds TERRIBLE. So I have to play it on my Clavinova, which...since I haven't played it in a long time, is in serious need of some adjustments. The lower register just BOOMS at the slightest touch.

Oh well, did I write this once before? It all seems so familiar.

Kathleen

#1116145 - 01/10/07 12:24 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
Mary-Rose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by loveschopintoomuch:
Last Monday, I said to myself: "Self, this is the week you are going to do nothing but memorize that Rach composition." And, I glad to say that I've finally have. \:D [/b]
Well done, Kathleen! You are a determined and focused lady.

#1116146 - 01/10/07 05:51 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
Sarah M Offline

Loc: California
 Quote:
Originally posted by maryrose:
Gosh, Sarah, you must be really talented. I love the way you casually throw in "I'm preparing some Chopin waltzes too." For me that would be a six-month event, not a quick last-minute filler! I'm really looking forward to hearing what you play, whatever it is (so long as it's Chopin). [/b]
Well, actually, they are the same ones that I played as a kid. I'm kind of resucitating (sp?)them in case I need them for the recital.

#1116147 - 01/10/07 06:13 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
Mary-Rose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'm resuscitating my kid stuff too. Only in my case I've regressed to grade six \:\(

#1116148 - 01/10/07 08:10 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
4000 Post Club Member

I can't even remember what I played as a kid!! \:D

Oh, I take that back. I do remember playing Fur Elise. There is not enough money in the world to pay me to resuscitate that one.

On second thought, I might do it for a million but not a dollar less. ;\) And with permission that I can wear ear plugs.

Kathleen

#1116149 - 01/11/07 01:21 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
Piano Again Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Washington metro
I got the Zoom yesterday. I'm going to have to play around with it a bit so I may not have time to do a decent recording of the Nocturne until the weekend, but it seems pretty easy to use. I did a quick test -- and what I noticed was that my pedaling is not very consistent. Sometimes I lift the pedal too soon at the end of a phrase and the result is a choppy sound. Sigh.

BTW, the SD card that comes with the Zoom doesn't hold a lot of data. It looks like it has room for about 12 minutes of music recording in MP3 mode. Recording in one of the WAV options, there's only room for about 4 minutes.

Check out my blog !

#1116150 - 01/11/07 03:26 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
Mary-Rose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks for you Zoom report, Piano again. I am wondering if one of my digital camera cards will fit when I get my Zoom ... anyway I can't play more than 12 mins worth of music!

#1116151 - 01/11/07 03:50 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
Piano Again Offline
1000 Post Club Member

It's easy to get more cards, though prices can vary. I've seen them priced from about $35 to about $90 for the 2GB cards. Here's what the blurb says about it:

"The H4 records on to Secure Digital (SD) media, a 128MB SD card is included with the unit. With a 2GB SD memory card, the H4 provides up to 380 minutes of recording in 16-bit mode (CD Quality), and 34 hours in MP3 stereo mode."

Check out my blog !

#1116152 - 01/11/07 04:07 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
4000 Post Club Member

Well, MaryRose...can't you just see us recording 34 hours of music? \:D

Kathleen

#1116153 - 01/11/07 04:34 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
Pianolina Offline

I took another look at this piece after a long break. Some of the more technical passages have slipped, but it's mostly still there in my fingers. However, I'm having the same problem as I did back when I stopped. I can't seem to find a nice way of playing this piece. Yesterday, I had a moment where I was like, "this is it!" but it slipped and I couldn't quite figure out what I was doing. How frustrating.

#1116154 - 01/11/07 04:44 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
LisztAddict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
 Quote:
Originally posted by Piano again:
I've seen them priced from about $35 to about $90 for the 2GB cards. [/b]
Microcenter is now selling 2GB generic brand SD card for $21.99.

#1116155 - 01/11/07 09:21 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
I know what you mean Pianolina. I took two weeks off from the piece in hopes I could come back to it with a fresh perspective. Blah... Same problems as before. I think it's just going to take some more slow practice with those difficult passages before I can play it like I want.

I filmed myself out of curiosity just to see what I looked like playing. Yikes...dropping my wrists and tensing my jaw.

Here I am. http://www.telemarkeast.com/images/nocturne.mov

Thee is a slight glitch part way through but that was where I tried to mess with the film for effect. Should have just left it alone.

#1116156 - 01/12/07 03:04 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
Ragnhild Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
Nice to hear from you both, Pianolina and Peyton. I managed at las to download yoyr video, Peyton, I was actually hoping it was a video of you telemark-skiing \:D

It is nice to see your hands - I can see you have done a lot of piano-playing - I also wish I had your hand-size....
Even if I would have played differently myself I like your interpretation - it is the one of a jazz-musician ! ( but I still think you rush the parallel triplets a little too much, maybe your jaw would relax if you cooled them down a bit..... \:D )

I do not play the 55.1 and will not touch it until March - I have a friend who says 2 months practising then 4 months break. I think without a break I get kind of "deaf" to my own playing.

Ragnhild

#1116157 - 01/12/07 04:49 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
Sarah M Offline

I enjoyed your playing peyton. Your interpretation is unique and has a lot of personality. I agree with Rag that it's kind of jazzy. I never even thought of it but that's a cool way to interpret classical music. It puts it in a totally new light.

#1116158 - 01/12/07 07:34 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Thanks. I didn't mean to play it "jazzy". I'll have to think about that. \:\) I don't feel like I'm rushing those triplets as much as I feel I'm rushing 57-69. I'm really flubbing those notes.And of course 77-85... More slow practice needed no doubt. But I do like that triplet section coming in faster than the earlier section. For me it's kind of a wake up call. There is a way I want to play this and I'm no way near it.

Mmmm...telemark skiing to Chopin would be different. Did you see this video? I can't remember if I posted it. I'm telemark skiing to one of my songs (my nickname is Biff).

#1116159 - 01/12/07 09:30 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
4000 Post Club Member

Hi Peyton: So good to hear from you. \:\) I thought you might be touring with your jazz group. You should, someday, think about it...you are that great!

I tried downloading Quicktime to get to see your video. It downloaded but then I couldn't get back to your site. I am a little disappointed that I couldn't see/hear you play. \:\(

Did any of us ever think that when we started to learn this nocuturne...way back in September (??), that some of us would still be working on it in January? Well, I for one, did.

I do like your advice, Peyton, about slow practicing. I think slow practicing is playing a section slow for about 5 minutes. Obviously, not enough time. I have always had an impatient streak, and it does not serve me well when learning a new piece.

That I have actually reached the 4th page (not going to indicate how well I can play the first 3), is amazing to me. I wouldn't "dare" leave this nocturne alone for any longer than 2 days for I know what will happen. It happened with the Raindrop. I admire those of you who have the skill and confidence to do this. I don't think I'll ever get to that point. :rolleyes:

While this piece is given a "7" on that chart...the same as the Raindrop, I think it is more difficult...should be an 8, in my opinion.

Once, again, I am glad to know you are still around Peyton. We've missed you.

Take care to everyone and keep on keeping on. :p

Kathleen

#1116160 - 01/12/07 09:33 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
Ragnhild Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
I had not seen it ...cool, the first couple of seconds looks like me - but then I see you are really good at this.
I'm afraid that Telemark to me is an area and not a hobby, I like skiing, though.

Next time skiing with a Chopin-waltz ?

Ragnhild

#1116161 - 01/12/07 10:52 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnhild:
I had not seen it ...cool, the first couple of seconds looks like me - but then I see you are really good at this.
I'm afraid that Telemark to me is an area and not a hobby, I like skiing, though.

Next time skiing with a Chopin-waltz ?

Ragnhild [/b]
Hey...that's right, you are in Norway. Birthplace of telemark skiing.

I think a Chopin waltz would work. That can be my next project. ;\)

#1116162 - 01/12/07 01:50 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
Piano Again Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sarah M:
I enjoyed your playing peyton. Your interpretation is unique and has a lot of personality. I agree with Rag that it's kind of jazzy. I never even thought of it but that's a cool way to interpret classical music. It puts it in a totally new light. [/b]
I heard a clip from this on Morning Edition today. Talk about jazzy/classical ...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000B8N4TU/npr-4-20

Check out my blog !

#1116163 - 01/12/07 02:38 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
4000 Post Club Member

BANG THOSE DRUMS AND RING THEM BELLS!

We are over the 700 mark!!

Kathleen

#1116164 - 01/12/07 05:40 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
Sarah M Offline

Quote:

While this piece is given a "7" on that chart...the same as the Raindrop, I think it is more difficult...should be an 8, in my opinion.
[/b]
This is the most frustrating piece I've played since coming back to piano 5-6 months ago. I find it very difficult to interpret and make sense out of it. And the last half is just hard technically.

I've taken a break from it and I'm playing a couple Chopin Waltzes now. They are much easier to interpret, I think. I feel like I "get" them.

BTW, Is anyone playing Nocturne #2 (Op. 9/2 I think)? That's another one from my past that I'm resuscitating, and it's been a painless resuscitation. It's much easier than this 55/1 Nocturne.

#1116165 - 01/12/07 06:53 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
4000 Post Club Member

Sarah: I am really surprised that you say you find the 55.1 so technically difficult because that doesn't come across when we listen to you play it.

As so many have said (and meant), you have perfect control over this piece. It sounds like "child's play" under your fingers.

But, of course, only you would know or feel that perhaps "something" isn't right.

I guess I should take some encouragement from your post because I have managed (on my own...still debating to call a teacher) to "get through" the first three pages. I don't imagine the phrase "get through" is exactly what a pianist should strive for. For for me, it's almost a miracle.

You are so talented, and if I were you (if only that were true), I would play what I enjoy...not a piece that doesn't "speak" to you.

This nocturne, from what I've read, is not a big hit with many of the so-called experts. But for some strange reason, I like it. I think it has a lot of character, a sense of pride and dignity and then of anger and frustration, all coming to an end with quiet resignation.

Good luck with the 9/2. I don't think you need any luck though.

Kathleen

#1116166 - 01/12/07 11:55 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
NancyM333 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Roswell, Georgia
Piano again, thanks for posting the Jacques Loussier trio. I didn't hear them on NPR, but I have been a fan of theirs since childhood when my dad first bought their version of the Brandenberg Concertos.

Nancy

Estonia 168, Yamaha UX3

#1116167 - 01/13/07 03:35 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
Sarah M Offline

Kathleen, I'm impressed you have tackled a piece like this on your own and managed to get so far. For some reason I had thought you had a teacher. It sounds like the piece really speaks to you and I hope you are enjoying the journey.

And thanks for your nice comments about my playing. As I said before, I don't have a teacher now and I also don't have friends who are into classical music, so this forum and people like you are what keeps me motivated.

#1116168 - 01/13/07 09:45 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sarah M:
 Quote:

[/b]
This is the most frustrating piece I've played since coming back to piano 5-6 months ago. I find it very difficult to interpret and make sense out of it. And the last half is just hard technically.

I've taken a break from it and I'm playing a couple Chopin Waltzes now. They are much easier to interpret, I think. I feel like I "get" them.

BTW, Is anyone playing Nocturne #2 (Op. 9/2 I think)? That's another one from my past that I'm resuscitating, and it's been a painless resuscitation. It's much easier than this 55/1 Nocturne. [/b]
It's interesting to hear you say how tough you find this. I share your sentiment although not so much for the technical as much as the interpretation. One thing that helps (me anyway) is to listen to a number of the masters play this piece. It's amazing how different the interpretations are. Some start VERY slow, others fast...some go into the second section very fast and with much vitality and others hit it not too different from the way they play the first section. All this says to me that this piece is up for grabs. Whatever rocks our boat...

When I first started playing this with our group here I found the nocturne boring and plodding (until the second section anyway). Now i play the first section and I start to feel a little of the melancholy I like so much in Chopin's works. Slow is really starting to work for me. But then I get to that second section and I want to play it fast and furious. I'm starting to like the nocturne even if I don't totally understand what Chopin was trying to say.

I don't play 9/2 but I do play 9/1 and love it. It was one of the first pieces I learned when I started taking classical seriously and it's still one of my favorites.

#1116169 - 01/13/07 09:57 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
Pianolina Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Peyton:

When I first started playing this with our group here I found the nocturne boring and plodding (until the second section anyway). Now i play the first section and I start to feel a little of the melancholy I like so much in Chopin's works. Slow is really starting to work for me. But then I get to that second section and I want to play it fast and furious. I'm starting to like the nocturne even if I don't totally understand what Chopin was trying to say.
[/b]
Peyton, this is exactly how I feel about this piece. I can tell that there's something very beautiful there but I can't figure out how to bring it out.

By the way, you play it very well. But I suppose what we say matters less until you find an interpretation that you are completely happy with.

I'm not happy that you're stuck, but I am happy that I'm not the only one who feels this way...

#1116170 - 01/13/07 10:18 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
4000 Post Club Member

Sarah: The reason why you might think I have a teacher is that I do call one (she was a child prodigy) \:\) every couple of months or so, when I am confused or need some help for a half/hour lesson. I think I've seen her 4 times in the last year. She's wonderful in that she lets me play what I want even though she might think that it's too difficult for me. :rolleyes:

Peyton: I'm glad to learn that you are starting to "like" the nocturne. For a while there, I thought I was alone in my admiration for it. I think I have a tendency (in fact, I know) to like/love anything that Chopin has composed. So I look for or listen to that phrase or section that appeals to me. In most cases, I don't have to look very hard. I also have noticed how some of the greats play it so differently, and that's encouraging. As you said...so eloquently, "whatever rocks your boat." \:D

Kathleen

#1116171 - 01/13/07 01:04 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
Pianolina Offline

I'm currently taking an outside-the-box approach to my problems with the Nocturne (I don't have any good ideas inside my box :rolleyes: ). I tried playing the first few lines of the piece, giving it the character of a different animal each time. Maybe I can develop some new ideas this way. I know it sounds completely ridiculous, but who knows, it may help. At the very least, it was fun to play around with. If you want to hear the current state of my Nocturne Zoo, here are some links.

Cat

Elephant

Grasshopper

Mouse

#1116172 - 01/13/07 01:49 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
4000 Post Club Member

\:D \:D \:D

Pianolina: What an imagination you have. I thought your approach for finding the "right approach for you" was great.

Personally, I like the cat, but the grasshopper was

Thanks for sharing and for a smile to brighten my day.

Kathleen

Page 24 of 26 < 1 2 ... 22 23 24 25 26 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bottom of hammer hitting top of damper on upright
by JoeThePro
12/21/14 10:09 PM
Getting better
by Kekewak
12/21/14 07:35 PM
Pearl River vs. Samick
by Zekk
12/21/14 03:41 PM
Kawai vs. Yamaha: what to choose
by SeeSharp
12/21/14 02:19 PM
Disklavier Pro Alternatives? C5X Value for money?
by bryan77
12/21/14 01:15 PM
Forum Stats
77391 Members
42 Forums
160048 Topics
2350383 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission