Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 25 of 26 < 1 2 ... 23 24 25 26 >
Topic Options
#1116173 - 01/13/07 02:36 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
Pianolina Offline

This one's for you, Kathleen \:D

Cat Hunting a Grasshopper

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1116174 - 01/13/07 07:44 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
loveschopintoomuch Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Pianolina: I LOVED it!!

Thank you.
Kathleen

#1116175 - 01/13/07 07:45 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
4000 Post Club Member

Pianolina: I LOVED it!!

Double post because I REALLY, REALLY like it. \:D \:D

Kathleen

#1116176 - 01/14/07 03:23 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
Patty39 Offline

Loc: Germany, near Cologne
Kathleen, I just saw the Theory thread about Chopin's waltz 69/2 which I play (just for my own humble pleasure ;\) ) and I was very interested to read about that, but I wouldn't have found out ever, because I rarely go over to the pianist corner.

The reason for my post is this one - would you please consider starting a new thread for each new Nocturne (in particular 9.1 and 9.2). It is still too early for me to learn one, BUT 1) this working group experience is really very good (I am in the Mozart Fantasy), it is motivating and extremely helpful, and 2) I am dead determined to start learning my first Nocturne in summer (the 9.1, please \:\) ).

And of course I'd love to learn with you all - you are a nice bunch of people \:\)

Patty

#1116177 - 01/14/07 11:42 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
4000 Post Club Member

Dear Patty: Thank you. I also think we do have a very nice bunch of people here.

I guess I am a little confused about your suggestion. Forgive me if I can't remember (this thread is so big), but are you referring to one or two of our posters talking about learning a new nocturne, in particular 9.1 and 9.2? I do seem to recall that some us have "branched off" onto other compositions.

The nocturne thread orginally started because we all wanted to learn to play the 55.1. Some of us have done so, but others, like me, are still struggling with it.

I would be happy to ask those in our group who have started and are playing the two nocturnes in question, if they would be willing to start a new topic, just for these two nocturnes.

I don't feel qualified to do so, at this point, because, as I mentioned, I haven't finished the 55.1.

OK, I'll ask right now.

Thank you for the suggestion,

Kathleen

#1116178 - 01/14/07 11:47 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
4000 Post Club Member

Dear Nocturnites:

Patty has asked that we start a new thread for nocturnes, 9.1 and 9.2.

I told her I am not qualified to do so, since I haven't finished the 55.1

Are any of you willing to take on and be a "moderator" of a new thread..devoted to either one or both of the above mentioned nocturnes?

I am certain, because of their popularity, that you would get many intersted people who would love to learn either of these beautiful nocturnes.

So please give it some thought. Many thanks for your consideration,

Kathleen

#1116179 - 01/14/07 02:25 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
Patty39 Offline

That's the point - the thread is so long that I am afraid to miss something but unfortunately I don't have the time to follow up on all the posts. So the suggestion is to start a new thread whenever you (as a group) decide to start learning a new Nocturne, I would hardly miss that. But it does not matter when that would be, it is still a bit early for me. By the way I listened to your Time Capsule recordings, you have made extraordinary progress, it sounds very good.

Patty

#1116180 - 01/14/07 02:42 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
4000 Post Club Member

Patty, I know this thread is so long and so is the other Chopin Lovers. I tried making an index on the first page of the thread, but it's tedious and time consuming job. I don't mind doing it, but sometimes it does take away from my practice time.

If the group decides to start a new nocturne (or two), I promise I will start a brand new thread for that.

Thank you for your kind words on my progress. I devote at least 3 hours a day, so it is always good to hear that it's paying off.

Kathleen

#1116181 - 01/14/07 02:44 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
Patty39 Offline

Definitely!

#1116182 - 01/15/07 08:04 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
I'm working on 48/1.. I'm up for anyone starting a study group for that monster... :rolleyes:

#1116183 - 01/16/07 09:45 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
4000 Post Club Member

Oh Peyton!! This is my absolute favorite nocturne. As I mentioned when I heard LisztAddict play it, it give me goosebumps. I think it is so representative of every emotion Chopin had hidden deep within.

Do you think we should start a new thread for this nocturne?? Patty suggested that this would be much easier for those who would like to join in. Otherwise, any new nocturne group starting here is buried in 30 pages.

I would be happy (if you don't want to) to be the "monitor" although I don't know anything about the nocture. Maybe we could ask LizstAddict if he would be interested in helping us out.

What do you think?

Kathleen

#1116184 - 01/16/07 10:19 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
I see this as a REAL long term project as the second part is truely difficult but I'm game for a study group.

#1116185 - 01/16/07 11:11 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
Piano Again Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Washington metro
I'm still working on trying to improve 55.1 (although in my defense, I didn't start on it until the end of November). In case anyone is interested, I made some recordings of 55.1 with my new Zoom, but I'm not happy with the sound level. I want to try it a few more times and experiment with setting the level lower so there's no distortion and then adjusting it with either Audacity or Cubase. This is avoiding the topic of whether my playing is any good or not! What I'm most unhappy with when I listen is that the right hand is not legato or shaped enough. It all sounds kind of plunky.

RE 48.1: The last time I took lessons, my teacher actually started me on this piece, but IMO, it was too difficult for me, especially at that time. The first two pages aren't bad, but then it gets really tough (a lot harder than the Rachmaninoff C# Prelude another study group is working on).

BTW, does anyone think the melody in 48.1 sounds a little like "All the Things You Are" (or rather, vice versa)?

Check out my blog !

#1116186 - 01/16/07 11:29 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
4000 Post Club Member

Hi Pianoagain: \:\) We would love to hear the 55.1 as soon as you feel you've got it conquered. As far as the plunky part (in your opinion), I just went to the piano and played the first page to get an idea of what you were talking about. And (now, remember I am FAR from an expert), I noticed that I let my fingers linger on each key or chord until the next. Almost like a loving caress. But, then, I do play it slower that probably indicated. :rolleyes:

As far as the 48.1, we know we are taking on a MAJOR composition, and the challenge will be SUPER. But, I so love this nocturne that I think it will keep me going, even if it takes a few years.

I know and love that song, All the Things You Are. If you REALLY strain your ear, I guess it might sound a little like that song. But it's a real stretch for me. ;\)

Kathleen

#1116187 - 01/18/07 12:37 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
4000 Post Club Member

Oopppsss, we slipped to page 2.

I, for one, still have the last page to conquer, so I will need this page up and ready.

Kathleen

#1116188 - 01/18/07 05:14 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
Piano Again Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I am planning to record this again this weekend. This has been a crazy week, what with a concert last night (see the threat "OT - Vent") and another on Sunday (different group) w/dress reh. tomorrow night.

That last section with the RH triplets is the stumbling block for me in this piece. I need to practice it slowly at least a dozen more times.

Check out my blog !

#1116189 - 01/18/07 06:52 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
4000 Post Club Member

HI PA: I have to confess that the triplet part (just about 8 measures) took me about 2 months to play somewhat well. I had to take it 1/2 measure at a time. I was practicing other pieces at the same time, but still...yes, I have to agree that triplet part is "frantic."

We are looking forward to your recording. Lord only knows when I'll be ready.

Kathleen

#1116190 - 01/22/07 05:38 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
4000 Post Club Member

Just bumping. I am still going to need help with that 4th page. Right now, I just stare at it and shake my head.

Katleen

#1116191 - 01/22/07 06:04 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
Piano Again Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I had a setback this weekend in the form of illness. Saturday was completely lost, and Sunday I dragged myself to my concert and practiced a little when I got home, but that was about all I could manage. I'll try again this week.

Check out my blog !

#1116192 - 01/23/07 01:58 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
Sarah M Offline

Loc: California
 Quote:
Originally posted by loveschopintoomuch:
Just bumping. I am still going to need help with that 4th page. Right now, I just stare at it and shake my head.

Katleen [/b]
I know you can do it.

I'm still checking in periodically, so I will try to help in my own way (whatever that's worth) if you have a problem with something.

Piano Again, sorry to hear about your illness, I hope you are better now.

#1116193 - 01/23/07 01:07 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
4000 Post Club Member

I add my condolences to Sarah's, PianoAgain. Hope you are feeling much better.

Thanks, Sarah, for checking in. I have been mentally putting off finishing this nocturne because down deep inside, I think it's going to be a real "Waterloo" for me. But I am so glad to have you around...in case I find myself drowning.

Kathleen
Kathleen

#1116194 - 01/26/07 09:33 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
4000 Post Club Member

Today, I play to spend a good portion of my practice time on page 4. I know (I've listened to it 100 times) that it is frantic and sort of crazy and very, very fast.

How did you approach this part? Playing and memorizing a couple of measures at a time and then go on to the next?

I just need some with this part.

Thanks,
Kathleen

#1116195 - 01/26/07 02:28 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
Piano Again Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Kathleen, are you talking about the beginning of the stretto section (after the main melody appears for the last time) or the section beginning with the melody in the left hand and the arpeggios in the right?

Check out my blog !

#1116196 - 01/26/07 04:07 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
4000 Post Club Member

Hi PA:
I'm speaking of the "molto legato e stretto section, about measure 80 to the end.

Now I know why they call it molto stretto because it produces "much stress" to the person trying to play it.

I am holding my own all the way through (which is an absolute miracle to me), but this last section is driving me crazy.

Any help on how to approach it, or perhaps if there is some pattern (I think there is). Anyhow...

thanks,
Kathleen

#1116197 - 01/26/07 07:51 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
Sarah M Offline

That passage was a bit frustrating because there was no obvious pattern I could find. I did notice:

-The first and third notes of the triplets are usually the same (with several exceptions). You might circle them just to remind yourself which ones. The ones that aren't circled are pretty much a sandwich.
-The sets often start with an octave, and then the notes go inward, meaning the following notes are closer to the center than the ones before, until you hit the next octave, then it goes inward again.

Make sure you use the correct fingering. I didn't because I was lazy and regretted it later when I sped things up. Once you know the notes it's not that bad to play. EDIT: I think it's best to use some wrist rotation as well as finger movement on this passage. When you hit the arpeggios there is a definite pattern and the notes are easier to remember.

Hope that helps, although I'm not sure if it does...

#1116198 - 01/27/07 03:22 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
4000 Post Club Member

Thank you so much, Sarah.

Yes, definitely, your advice is extremely helpful. I've started on it and did notice the pattern of which you spoke. The tips about fingering (that's ALWAYS the first thing I write in) and the wrist motion will be VERY helpful.

Thanks again,
Kathleen

#1116199 - 01/28/07 03:23 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
Piano Again Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Finally, here it is. There are a few bloopers, but I decided I was going to drive myself crazy trying to get it note perfect.

BTW, I was at a rehearsal yesterday at the home of some music lovers who host concerts in their house, and while we were waiting for some members of the group who were late, I started playing the Nocturne. The lady of the house came in and watched me very carefully, surprised that I could play the piano at all. When I was finished, she said, "Do you know how beautiful that was?" Okay, I'm being self-promoting, but it made me feel good. \:\)

http://www.box.net/public/42krz6zpe3

Check out my blog !

#1116200 - 01/28/07 05:36 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
Sarah M Offline

Well the lady was right, that was very beautiful! I liked it a lot. It was a very clean interpretation and I felt like I understood the piece when you played it (which says something since I've struggled a lot trying to understand this piece).

You probably get a lot of compliments when you play.

#1116201 - 01/28/07 05:41 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
4000 Post Club Member

Dear PA: Your story about the lady who came in and watched you play and then said to you how beautiful it was...was SO RIGHT. Brava! It was wonderful!! Wasn't it worth it all to hear the woman say that to you? I have a feeling that you would agree. You are not self-promoting at all, and you have every right to feel very, very proud of yourself. What an accomplishment!

I was a little spooked because there are certain sections that you play that are exactly the way I hear and play them. However, sadly, I can't quite manage (yet) many other sections that you do, so effortlessly. But I'm determined and I think that sometimes that's all it takes.

Also your story reminded me of the time Chopin was playing in England, and the Prince left his seat and stood next to the piano while Chopin played. Chopin was more thrilled with this than I think he was with much of the applause he received at other times in his life.

I hope to be posting my rendition within a month or two. And I hope I can do it justice as you have done.

Thank you for sharing.

Ksthleen

#1116202 - 01/28/07 06:49 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
Piano Again Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thank you for the nice comments. I would never have even thought of working on this piece if it hadn't been for your efforts in starting this study group, so thanks for that as well! I've learned a lot from this.

Check out my blog !

Page 25 of 26 < 1 2 ... 23 24 25 26 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
For Sale : True Keys Pianos (bundle) American,Italian,Ger
man

by imyself
09/16/14 05:51 PM
Dream Keys Complete - Your Opinion Please
by Vas
09/16/14 04:56 PM
First tuning my piano with TuneLab
by Pablo Arturi
09/16/14 04:03 PM
Getting back into it
by Upside
09/16/14 03:32 PM
In search of my piano name Brand
by Leoni
09/16/14 03:05 PM
Who's Online
148 registered (36251, 255, Altair, accordeur, ajames, 47 invisible), 1462 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76224 Members
42 Forums
157568 Topics
2314429 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission