Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 26 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 25 26 >
Topic Options
#1115513 - 07/29/06 10:08 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
Peyton Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Oh, just to be clear about how I'm looking at the trills...in measure 31 I read that particular trill as starting on the C. And when I say I've gone to the third page...it's actually the end of page two in my book. it's the piu mosso part with the matching triplets in both hands. It's amazing how different the rest of the piece is from the first two pages. Even when the theme comes back it sounds very different with those high triplets.

Christmas 07 is looking more and more likely for me too.... :rolleyes:

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1115514 - 07/29/06 10:48 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
loveschopintoomuch Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Peyton: So glad to have some "company" for Christmas 07. \:\)

I think we should then go out and buy ourselves something very BIG and SPECIAL. Like a new piano. I'm serious. My grand shimmies and it will cost me about 7 thou to get it fixed. For that money, I can buy a new/used good used one. Although I will be in my very late sixties at that time, I am going with Monica's idea about "dying broke." :p

And, wow, how different that third and part of 4th page is. But it's so exciting!! :rolleyes:

Kathleen

#1115515 - 07/29/06 01:11 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
MaryAnna Offline

Loc: Florida
 Quote:
Originally posted by btb:
Ashkinazy takes 4:51 minutes to play the Chopin
Nocturne 55.1 - not the 5:51 as given above. [/b]
Less than five minutes? Good heavens. I'm the southest end of the northbound mule here, being as how I've only played through it twice. Even at the speed I'm blundering through it, it sounds less like a nocturne to me and more like some kind of dance--a mazurka or polka or something. I haven't dragged out my recording of the nocturnes, but I think it's Ashkenazy, so I'm anxious to hear it at that tempo.

I really prefer nocturnes that have a more melodic left hand--arpeggios and stuff--but this one is pretty, and I do like the fact that the various sections are so different.

It never occurred to me to time myself while starting out a piece. When I'm working on speed, I try to match a metronome setting, but timing the whole piece does work better when you're still working out the notes.

I got through it in 8 minutes and 10 seconds, but it wasn't pretty. I think I'm on the Christmas '07 plan, too.
Blogging at maryannaevans@blogspot.com

#1115516 - 07/29/06 05:49 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
Malvolio Offline

Loc: Virginia
Rubenstein's version of 55-1 takes a full 5:37 - if that makes y'all feel any better. Personally, I think Ashkenazy rushes it just a bit, especially at the end....

I'm not really IN this group, I guess, in that I'm not actively working on the Nocturne. But I am watching the thread with interest.

One curious thing about it is how the left hand notes are marked with a dot, staccato, yet in my edition (Paderewski) at least, there are pedal marks for beats 1-2 and 3-4 in every measure in the beginning. How can you hold down the damper pedal and manage "staccato" at the same time?

#1115517 - 07/29/06 06:42 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
Peyton Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Malvolio:

One curious thing about it is how the left hand notes are marked with a dot, staccato, yet in my edition (Paderewski) at least, there are pedal marks for beats 1-2 and 3-4 in every measure in the beginning. How can you hold down the damper pedal and manage "staccato" at the same time? [/b]
I was wondering about that too. I'm just ignoring the stacato dots.

You guys that are "reading through" this in anything under a half an hour I have to give you a hats off. I'd give anything to be able to read that well.

#1115518 - 07/29/06 07:07 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
MaryAnna Offline

I spent some time on the first page this afternoon, finally.

About the pedalled staccato notes--

I have the Alfred edition, which is very finicky about the pedaling. The editor included the pedaling exactly as Chopin wrote it. There are footnotes when the manuscripts were unclear or contradictory. Sometimes the editor marks additional pedal changes in dashed lines where he thinks modern pianos are too resonant for the original marking, but Chopin's markings are still very clear. All in all, I find it very educational.

Anyway, it looks to me like those pedal markings are exactly the way Chopin wrote them. I'm trying to play the staccatos, even though the space between the notes doesn't sound, on the theory that it forces me to attack the notes in a different way that's audible, despite the pedal.

I'm finding it hard to pedal every two beats, because my inclination is to pedal every beat, but I'm working on it.

#1115519 - 07/29/06 09:14 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
Pianolina Offline

"the north end of a southbound mule" - What a great line \:D .

So I guess I'm actually no farther behind than anyone else. I don't know where I got that impression. I swear, I've been misreading people all week - Makes me want to just sit down and shut up for the rest of the summer. (Good conditions for playing the piano, really ;\) .)

I play the left hand notes staccato even though the pedal is down. The notes aren't sharp and detached, but they do sound different, no?

#1115520 - 07/30/06 10:30 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
4000 Post Club Member

Pianolina:

You are able to play the LH staccato?

I'm lucky to be able to read/recognize the chords even though most are repeated many times throughout the first two pages. I love those two pages and think I'll stay there for a couple of weeks. I'm not even thinking staccato and doubt if I ever will. I don't do staccato well.

DO NOT FEAR! I believe you are the "leader of the pack." Or, perhaps one of two of the leaders. Ooopppsss...don't want to make this sound like a race. We all know it should not be considered as such.

Relax and have fun. We will be coming to you for advice.

Kathleen

#1115521 - 07/30/06 11:44 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
qtpi Offline

Loc: Hockessin, Delaware
I am still puting along on the first 6 to 8 measures. Anyway, I found a reference for teh trills. In a book called Ornamentation by Watts and Bigler- Alfred publication. It says for the trill in Chopin's works," the trill generally begins on the upper auxiliary note. A termination is usually added whether indicated or not."- meaning you go down to the lower note and come up to the main note before you end. It also goes on to say.. " the trill may proceed slowly and increase in speed.. a small note on the same space or line as the trilled note indicates the trill begins on that note( the main note)>" Maurice HInson also writes " According to the testimony of his own students, Chopin usually begins his trills on the upper note."

#1115522 - 07/30/06 12:00 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
MaryAnna Offline

I listened to my recording, which turned out to be Garrick Ohlsson, not Ashkenazy, and his tempo choices were very interesting. The first two pages are at a tempo similar to the one I hear in my head. (Which is faster than I can play it now, but still somewhat approachable.) The other sections, however, he plays at a significantly faster tempo. For example, he takes the piu mosso at measure 48 very, very seriously. He speeds up again at the molto legato a stretto at measure 77, which I wouldn't necessarily read to mean a tempo change. I hadn't even noticed that there was an accelerando at measure 90, but those last few repeated measures are so fast that they sound almost like trills.

The upshot is that he finishes the piece in 4 minutes, 40 seconds.

#1115523 - 07/30/06 02:06 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
4000 Post Club Member

I was really concerned (well, just a little) about where to start as I had read so much about starting on the uppper note.[/b] :rolleyes:

I hate to be a "I told you so" about the starting point of Chopin trills, but I did. :p

I have an Alfred compliation of Chopin's easier works. And in shaded gray, the notes are printed out about the trill and they ALL start on the note above. And in the introduction to the book, Alfred has a whole section on Chopin's ornamentation and he states again the upper note.

Why doesn't it sound right though? Does it sound right to you?

MaryAnna: You are way ahead of me. I haven't even thought of the pedalling. But I'm glad you are going along at such a great pace because we are going to need you when we get to the section you're talking about, whenever that may be (in this decade, I hope!!. ) We're all proud of you and your progress.

One more thing. Chopin is played by most pianists today at too great a tempo. Much of the beauty and nuances of his music are lost in their mad rush to prove their virtuosity. Ala, Liszt-like.

Maybe that's why I so admired Rubinstein. He understood Chopin's music and knew how to play it. Wish he were still alive so he could teach this current generation a thing or two or three. In my mind, they have a lot of learn. Certainly not about actually playing but HOW to play. Big difference!

O.K. I'm off my soapbox for another week or two.

Kathleen

#1115524 - 07/30/06 03:39 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
Re THE TRILLS ~~~
Watts and Bigler- Alfred say start on the upper note:
 Quote:
"the trill generally begins on the upper auxiliary note. A termination is usually added whether indicated or not."
JP Dunn says start on the principal.
 Quote:
"The simple shake is comparatively rare in Chopin's works. When no direction to the contrary is given, it should invariably begin with the principal note. If Chopin wishes it to commence with the auxiliary note, he prefixed the latter as an acciaccatura." (a preceding grace note.)
It seems even the authorities don't agree. Watts and Bigler- Alfred but did allow for a little weasel room with the qualifiers "generally' and "usually." If the trill in question is unprefaced by an auxillary and sounds dumb to me when begun on the upper note, I'm starting on the principal. Sometimes we just have to use some judgement. That's what weasel room is for. Remember we're musicians too.

BTW According to one of his students - Chopin was not so much concerned with speed in his trills as he was that they be played evenly.

#1115525 - 07/30/06 07:33 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
4000 Post Club Member

I agree with Frycek. If it doesn't sound right, I'm starting the trill on the principal.

Glad we got that settled. :p

Now we just have to concentrate on playing staccato, the correct pedalling, and keeping it at the proper tempo, whatever that might turn out to be. In my case, it will be on the slow side. Really slow.

And that just thinking about pages one and two.

MaryAnna...you are still out there, right??

Kathleen

#1115526 - 07/31/06 03:38 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
MaryAnna Offline

Yes, I'm still out here. I went to dinner at my 19-year-old daughter's apartment tonight. She and her boyfriend invited us and my son and his girlfriend and my mother and her godparents--twelve people in all.

From a mother's point of view, it was just perfect, a very independent and loving thing for her to do. But she did call me from the grocery store and again from her kitchen, getting detailed instructions on how to make the spaghetti sauce. So I'm not completely useless, yet.

Someday soon, I'm going to scan the Alfred edition's recommended interpretations of the trills and ornaments, with the caveat that Ohlsson doesn't seem to be playing quite the same thing. He throws in a few extra shakes on the trills, but I think he's just showing off. ;\)

BTW, don't mistake my observations on this piece for actual skill. I'm in that stage where I "survey" the territory. I read through it sloppily, just to get a feel for how it will sound. Since I have a recording, I'm comparing his interpretation with the impressions I got during my quick read-throughs. And now, I've started actually working on the first couple of pages. But listening to me play the piece is kind of like watching sausage made...

#1115527 - 07/31/06 07:42 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy! I figured out the triplets! I may have my metronome set at 40 but they are finally working and starting to sound like a melody. (I've found them not so much difficult as infuriating! )

#1115528 - 07/31/06 10:04 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
4000 Post Club Member

not on topic

#1115529 - 08/01/06 10:26 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
4000 Post Club Member

Hi Everyone:

I just reread my last post and I have to apologize to all of you.

I came off sounding like a jerk.
This forum is of GREAT importance to me. I consider many of you good friends.

I was just a little upset with myself because I've become a little lazy lately (for me) and not practicing as much as I'd like to or have the time to. AND to top it off, I recorded myself playing the #4 prelude for the recital and either me or the piano or both of us sound pretty bad. I have been playing this prelude for years, but I still have a difficult time getting through certain spots. Always different ones. So, I was in a \:\( mood.

I'm going to confess to you that it has always been a dream (goal) of mine to be able to play all of Chopin's preludes before I die.

When I was in my teens, this seemed doable. Now, however, much of the sands of time have settled in the bottom of the glass.

I know of 5 the 24 now. Only 19 more to go!!

If I take two a year...some maybe a little less and some about 2 years, maybe I will realize my dream. Those "10's" will most likely be out of the question.

I know I probably seem a little obsessed, but that's why I am so driven.

Anyhow, I'm pretty good with page 1 of the nocturne and will start page two today in earnest. I'm playing the trills "by ear". What sounds good is my motto.

Hope everyone is managing to stay cool.

With affection,
Kathleen

#1115530 - 08/01/06 10:51 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
Peyton Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Not to worry...you did not sound like a jerk. In fact, every now and then I try to disipline myself and not spend so much time on these forums (I run a telemark forum) . They really can eat away at your time. So I don't blame you!

That's quite a goal to learn all the preludes. There are some very tough ones so stop reading this and get to work!! :p

#1115531 - 08/01/06 11:32 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
4000 Post Club Member

Aye, aye ...sir! \:\)

Your T-shirt should be arriving soon. Just in time for this terribly hot weather.

Kathleen

#1115532 - 08/01/06 11:34 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
4000 Post Club Member

not on topic

#1115533 - 08/01/06 12:28 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

I want to learn all the nocturnes. about three more of the etudes, most of the preludes, and the rest of the Well Tempered Clavier. I think I got a ways to go - - -

Regarding your message - you didn't sound like a jerk but I was a bit saddened as I think we all were at the prospect of less interaction with you. Glad you got over your hissy fit.

#1115534 - 08/01/06 12:28 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
MaryAnna Offline

Kathleen,

I listened to my recording of Garrick Ohlsson playing the preludes about a squillion times, then I went and bought the Alfred edition and set myself a goal of playing them all before I'm 50. (I have just a hair over 5 years...)

What edition do you use? Do you like it?

Back to the nocturne at hand--Frycek, you said you'd conquered the triplets. Which batch? All of them? There are several passages with triplets that are tricky for me. Any tips?

#1115535 - 08/01/06 12:37 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Cuz, I've been working on the ones at the top of the third page. Left hand triplets. I can't say I've conquered them. But at least now I can get into the cage with them without feeling in imminent danger of being devoured. They are by no means tame yet. What I discovered is for me the fingering 5 - 1 -5 -1 for the left hand triplets works, if that makes any sense. Other than that I've been practicing with a slow metronome a measure at a time.

#1115536 - 08/01/06 12:52 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
Peyton Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Kathleen,

I've met Stephen King but can't say I know him... He got run over not far from my house... :rolleyes:

#1115537 - 08/01/06 01:15 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
4000 Post Club Member

not on topic

#1115538 - 08/01/06 01:50 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

You probably have to be there.

#1115539 - 08/01/06 06:10 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
MaryAnna Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Frycek:
What I discovered is for me the fingering 5 - 1 -5 -1 for the left hand triplets works, if that makes any sense.[/b]
I never would have thought of 5-1-5-1.
We need a smiley for this:
[Off to the piano to try it out.]

#1115540 - 08/01/06 09:41 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
MaryAnna Offline

My tee-shirt came in!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you, Kathleen! Ol' Chopin is lookin' very studly indeed.

\:\) \:\) \:\) \:\) \:\) \:\) \:\) \:\)

I tried Cousin Joe's 5-1-5-1 fingering, and it's almost working for me.

The first 5-1 works great. I was reaching for 5-2, and it wasn't working. And the last 1 is working good, too. I keep throwing in something else on the third part of the triplet--something like 5-1-x-1. I think I can get this to work...

#1115541 - 08/01/06 10:24 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Glad it's starting to work. I just fell into it, I think it's sort of a Bach fugue thing.

#1115542 - 08/01/06 10:38 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne Study Group
qtpi Offline

Loc: Hockessin, Delaware
I had been making some steady progress on the piano- gosh darn it- before my husband got laid off and I had to get a paying job! Music is my passion and 3 weeks after I took the nursing job I got a job offer to teach music in Catholic schools- the pay is lousy- 30 grand a year, as a nurse, I make 40 grand a year for 20 hours a week- so I have more free time to practice piano, and to be in other bands- but I have been working full time for orientation, and I have only been practicing on 2 days a week- not enough! My down fall is FSFM- short for feeling sorry for myself. So I fight that in myself becuase if I give in to it, I tend to feel lousy. PIano is DIFFICULT- really- I am still working on getting the trill perfect in measure 6- I really wish I could practice 5 or 6 hours a day- I really love it that much, but life intrudes. So back I go now to the piano- after listening again to the recording Kathleen provided. My goal is to get the trill in m.6 and the roll in m. 7 just right. I did try to play one day last week without scales and Hanon and it did not work well at all.

Page 3 of 26 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 25 26 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
113 registered (bennevis, Arizona Sage, Almaviva, anotherscott, 36251, 37 invisible), 1329 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153518 Topics
2249714 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A question about app.box
by LarryShone
Today at 07:08 AM
Re-stringing an 84yr old Grand.....?
by Grandpianoman
Today at 01:56 AM
Theme identification
by Polyphonist
Today at 01:26 AM
Morning Mist: a ballade for piano
by JoelW
Today at 12:27 AM
Insanity
by Polyphonist
Yesterday at 11:55 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission